PDA

View Full Version : Proposed Rule Changes for Men's Basketball

TheRef
05-15-2015, 01:01 PM
Timeouts

1. Number of timeouts reduced from 5 to 4, with a maximum of 3 being carried over to the second half.

2. Stricter enforcement of resumption of play following a timeout. This includes called timeouts and timeouts following a player ejection/foul-out.

3. Timeouts within 30 seconds of a planned media timeout will turn into a media timeout, unless the said timeout is the first team timeout in the second half.

Physicality

1. Stricter enforcement of defensive fouls

2. Offensive players will have the same verticality protection as defensive players

3. Restricted area arc will be expanded from 3 feet to 4 feet

Shot clock

1. Shot clock will be reduced from 35 seconds to 30 seconds to increase pace of play.

Other

1. Eliminating coach-called live-ball timeouts

2. 10-second backcourt timer will NOT reset with a timeout

engie
05-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Think I like every single one of those

TheRef
05-15-2015, 01:07 PM
More proposed changes:

1. Hanging on rim reduced to a 1-shot technical (was a 2-shot technical)

2. 5-second closely guarded to be eliminated

3. Pre-game dunking allowed

dawgs
05-15-2015, 01:08 PM
Seems like the physicality thing is just calling the game correctly, but I absolutely love every other one of those rules.

TheRef
05-15-2015, 01:14 PM
Looks like they'll also experiment with adding one foul to the limit for players. That means players would be able to have 6 fouls for the foul-out limit.

They will experiment during the 2016 Postseason (this season)

messageboardsuperhero
05-15-2015, 01:24 PM
Don't know about "stricter enforcement of defensive fouls." The already call a bunch of hand checks and touch fouls on the perimeter that seem excessive to me... But I'm good with the rest of them.

I'd also like to see the ball advanced past half court after timeouts like they do in the NBA.

messageboardsuperhero
Looks like they'll also experiment with adding one foul to the limit for players. That means players would be able to have 6 fouls for the foul-out limit.

They will experiment during the 2016 Postseason (this season)

This is long overdue.

Irondawg
the only one I don't necessarily like is eliminating the live-ball coach called timeouts. If we're going to do that, I'd almost just see all live ball timeouts cut out.

Heck, I'd even be a proponent of no team timeouts and just use the TV timeouts - with an exception that each team gets 1 timeout during the final 2 minutes of a game. The pace of play needs to be picked up and they are trying to address that.

TheRef
05-15-2015, 01:29 PM
This is HUGE if it actually happens

The committee discussed the growing issue of players attempting to draw fouls by deceiving officials. The committee proposed a rule that would allow officials to penalize faking fouls during the use of video to review a possible flagrant foul.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men-s-basketball-rules-committee-recommends-package-proposals-improve-game

Dawg61
05-15-2015, 04:23 PM
30 second shot clock is good. I don't like 6 fouls because it's only 40 minutes. The real change that must be made is to stop calling all the touch fouls. It needs to be a real foul to be called. Cbb has been brutal since they started calling everything a foul.

dickiedawg
05-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Love the shorter shot clock. But the 10 second clock should reset with a timeout IMO (especially if you reduce timeouts by one, making them less expendable).
As for pregame dunking, I didn't realize that rule was even still on the books because it's never enforced.

yjnkdawg
05-15-2015, 06:55 PM
Think I like every single one of those

This and I never liked these. Defense makes a good play or stop and is not rewarded. {1. Eliminating coach-called live-ball timeouts

2. 10-second backcourt timer will NOT reset with a timeout}

Martianlander
05-15-2015, 09:53 PM
30 second clock will probably be the biggest change. Can't remember what year, around early 90's, the SEC and a couple of other conferences experimented with the 6 foul rule. I like it, but it needs to be nationwide. The SEC got used to playing with six and it was a definite adjustment to go back to five in the tournament, both for the coaches and players.

War Machine Dawg
05-15-2015, 10:44 PM
30 second shot clock is desperately needed. 35 is wayyyyyyyy too long.

mic
05-16-2015, 08:51 AM
Shot clock to 30
Git rid of the alternet position... Jump the ball after a tie up..

Martianlander
05-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Shot clock to 30
Git rid of the alternet position... Jump the ball after a tie up..

Yes-I like the jump ball too.

smootness
05-16-2015, 03:22 PM
Timeouts

1. Number of timeouts reduced from 5 to 4, with a maximum of 3 being carried over to the second half. -Great

2. Stricter enforcement of resumption of play following a timeout. This includes called timeouts and timeouts following a player ejection/foul-out. - Great

3. Timeouts within 30 seconds of a planned media timeout will turn into a media timeout, unless the said timeout is the first team timeout in the second half. - Great

Physicality

1. Stricter enforcement of defensive fouls - Not sure about this; will depend on how refs apply it, but I think part of the problem across the board in basketball right now is rewarding offensive players for initiating contact

2. Offensive players will have the same verticality protection as defensive players - don't even understand this one. Is this not already the case?

3. Restricted area arc will be expanded from 3 feet to 4 feet - Fine, don't really care

Shot clock

1. Shot clock will be reduced from 35 seconds to 30 seconds to increase pace of play. - Great, long overdue. Should be even shorter.

Other

1. Eliminating coach-called live-ball timeouts - Great

2. 10-second backcourt timer will NOT reset with a timeout - Great