PDA

View Full Version : Heard this morning that funding for the baseball stadium

Coach34
05-15-2015, 12:16 PM
is going really well and its getting built starting next summer come hell or high water. I know people are trying to spread panic and such about it- but those rumors arent true. I personally cant wait for construction to begin.

For those that pay closer attention to it than me- are they building the OF or the stadium portion the 1st year?

messageboardsuperhero
05-15-2015, 12:20 PM
is going really well and its getting built starting next summer come hell or high water. I know people are trying to spread panic and such about it- but those rumors arent true. I personally cant wait for construction to begin.

For those that pay closer attention to it than me- are they building the OF or the stadium portion the 1st year?

It's funny how people think that one bad year is going to kill funding for a project like this. "We are having a shitty season. That means we can't build this new stadium and will be stuck in the old DNF forever!!11!!"

ETA: Our fans irrationally flip out more than any other group I've ever seen.

Coach34
05-15-2015, 12:24 PM
As I said a month ago in a thread- you dont let the drawings be posted on national TV during your games and then decide not to build. We would look ridiculous if we did that. Its getting built.

TheRef
05-15-2015, 12:24 PM

From what I've heard, Grandstand construction will be item #1

BankerDog
05-15-2015, 12:25 PM
We might have the most overreacting fan base on America, but I wouldn't trade if for anything. I'm excited for this time in Mississippia State Athletics.

messageboardsuperhero
05-15-2015, 12:54 PM
I just don't understand why anyone would even think that it won't be built. Stricklin is extremely careful about finances and feasibility- some people claim almost to a fault. He's not about to put something out there that he's not sure we can build. Every single facility design that has released on any project in his tenure has been built on time and to specifications with no short cuts or scale-backs- what would make this one be any different?

Coach34
05-15-2015, 12:57 PM
I just don't understand why anyone would even think that it won't be built. Stricklin is extremely careful about finances and feasibility- some people claim almost to a fault. He's not about to put something out there that he's not sure we can build. Every single facility design that has released on any project in his tenure has been built on time and to specifications with no short cuts or scale-backs- what would make this one be any different?

Because you have two groups that dont want to see it built spreading misinformation:

1. Bearsharks
2. Longtime LFL'ers that dont want change

HancockCountyDog
05-15-2015, 01:18 PM
Because you have two groups that dont want to see it built spreading misinformation:

1. Bearsharks

The only negative thing I've heard is that the condos/apartments might not be exactly the way it was presented.

I've heard that from MSU folk, so that's the only thing I'm looking to see what happens.

Todd4State
05-15-2015, 01:51 PM

1. Bearsharks

Exactly. It's more of a hope on their part and attempting to take advantage of the current situation.

Alldawg
05-15-2015, 01:52 PM

I don't think some worry if Stricklin will stick with they plan. The major hurdle still in front of construction is rather or not IHL approved the plan as is. There is a better chance of that happening if the actual cost is the 40 million projected, but I do not see that bring a realistic cost. That is where the IHL will come into play.

Drugdog
05-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Keep LFL and ditch the condos.

Coach34
05-15-2015, 01:55 PM

we are keeping LFL- thats not going away. The unsafe contraptions are going away in favor of safer, permanent construction. LFL will be better than ever

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-15-2015, 01:57 PM
We might have the most overreacting fan base on America, but I wouldn't trade if for anything. I'm excited for this time in Mississippia State Athletics.

I think it's because we are immersed in our this fanbase....I am sure there are others just like us.

coastdoglover
05-15-2015, 02:04 PM
The condos have not been selling. Maybe they will but as of right now they are not. I would expect coach34 to buy one since he has been such a Cohen fan.

Todd4State
05-15-2015, 02:09 PM
I don't think some worry if Stricklin will stick with they plan. The major hurdle still in front of construction is rather or not IHL approved the plan as is. There is a better chance of that happening if the actual cost is the 40 million projected, but I do not see that bring a realistic cost. That is where the IHL will come into play.

Why would the IHL stop it? The funding is going to come almost solely from private donations or from revenue from the stadium itself.

HancockCountyDog
05-15-2015, 02:10 PM
The condos have not been selling. Maybe they will but as of right now they are not. I would expect coach34 to buy one since he has been such a Cohen fan.

I've been told there is a legal holdup on the condos/suites. I don't have more details than that.

BrunswickDawg
05-15-2015, 02:23 PM
I've been told there is a legal holdup on the condos/suites. I don't have more details than that.
I could see that - I've been involved in leasing on state properties, and things like condos can be tough to get the right mechanisms in place, especially if it is outside the box of what our legal is used to dealing with.

engie
05-15-2015, 02:24 PM
IHL signing off is strictly a formality. Project uses $0 public funds. Regardless of whether it's $10 mil or $70 mil, they have no excuse to interfere nor will they. MSU's happiness with them is vital to any opportunity of their continued existence with OM still out for their heads.

BrunswickDawg
05-15-2015, 02:24 PM
I think it's because we are immersed in our this fanbase....I am sure there are others just like us.
See also: "Mark Richt has lost control of the program."

messageboardsuperhero
05-15-2015, 02:29 PM

We will have both.

maroonmania
05-15-2015, 02:36 PM

The condos would go like hotcakes at the right price. Right now they are way overpriced.

Todd4State
05-15-2015, 03:34 PM
The condos would go like hotcakes at the right price. Right now they are way overpriced.

I do agree with this. Those condos are essentially going to be "vacation homes" and no one is going to pay what Scott is asking for something that they aren't going to make their permanent residence.

Schultzy
05-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Fwiw I heard we raised a million in one week from three separate donors eight months ago. The money is coming in, baseball is an even bigger deal now regionally with the advent of the SEC Network so one bad year means very little where that is concerned.

Dawg61
05-15-2015, 04:31 PM
I do agree with this. Those condos are essentially going to be "vacation homes" and no one is going to pay what Scott is asking for something that they aren't going to make their permanent residence.

Aren't the condos leases only with no option to buy? Whose going to pay $50,000 a year to RENT a condo? Maybe they just want to initially scare off the people that aren't serious candidates. That is a smart move but the price has to come way down and the option to buy needs to be there with strict rules in place.

AlSwearengen
05-15-2015, 04:37 PM
The condos need to be done even if they have to change them to skyboxes and sell them that way. The structure adds a lot to the park.

BossDawg
05-15-2015, 04:40 PM

Even though I wouldn't get one, the condos were the one thing I was hoping would definitely get built. They're flat-out cool and was the main thing that skyrocketed the Duty Noble concept past the rest of the SEC, in my opinion. It just seems too unique to completely scrap.

Backspin
05-15-2015, 05:13 PM
As of right now, Phase 1, scheduled to begin in June '16, includes demo of existing stadium, construction of the lower level of the grandstand, RF plaza and LF lounge. Phase 1 would be completed prior to beginning of '17 season. Phase 2 will be the upper deck and boxes. Not sure status of LF condos. Lotta planning ongoing so that's subject to change.

Backspin
05-15-2015, 05:14 PM
Phase 2 will be ready for '18 season.

Todd4State
05-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Aren't the condos leases only with no option to buy? Whose going to pay $50,000 a year to RENT a condo? Maybe they just want to initially scare off the people that aren't serious candidates. That is a smart move but the price has to come way down and the option to buy needs to be there with strict rules in place.

From what I understand, yes. They could build 40 and charge 500K allowing people to own them and accomplish the 20 million mark very easily, plus with condos usually there are condo fees that MSU would make money off of annually as long as the condos are around.

And I agree- who spends 50K a year on a house much less a condo/apartment that you would never own? Financially it makes a LOT more sense to buy a house even at a million dollars- of which I doubt there are that many million dollar home in the Golden Triangle to begin with- and buy season tickets than it does to constantly rent out a condo.

sandjunky
05-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Still waiting to be contacted about my chair back donation...filled form out and it's been two weeks now

War Machine Dawg
05-15-2015, 06:49 PM
The only negative thing I've heard is that the condos/apartments might not be exactly the way it was presented.

I've heard that from MSU folk, so that's the only thing I'm looking to see what happens.

Heard from a VERY reliable source today that the coaches, especially Mullen, and our campus security are very much against the Lofts. They'll most likely happen, but there are a whole lot of important people unhappy they weren't consulted about the Lofts. And they have a lot of valid concerns.

maroonmania
05-15-2015, 08:00 PM

Agreed, $50,000 a year on a rental is insane. I'm not surprised they are not selling well, not sure who in the athletic department thought they would at that price.

AlSwearengen
05-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Heard from a VERY reliable source today that the coaches, especially Mullen, and our campus security are very much against the Lofts. They'll most likely happen, but there are a whole lot of important people unhappy they weren't consulted about the Lofts. And they have a lot of valid concerns.

I'm listening. Why would Mullen be concerned?

War Machine Dawg
05-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Agreed, $50,000 a year on a rental is insane. I'm not surprised they are not selling well, not sure who in the athletic department thought they would at that price.

See my post above. I'm assuming the $50K/year price tag is a way of appeasing those opposed to the LFLofts.

Aces High
05-15-2015, 08:23 PM
From what I've heard, Grandstand construction will be item #1

Outfield will be first.

Todd4State
05-15-2015, 08:30 PM

Like what?

I'm not understanding where you are coming from on this.

Why would Dan Mullen be opposed to them?

War Machine Dawg
05-15-2015, 09:06 PM
Like what?

I'm not understanding where you are coming from on this.

Why would Dan Mullen be opposed to them?

They're facing the practice facility and practice fields.

C222
05-15-2015, 11:28 PM

Todd4State
05-16-2015, 12:04 AM

Gotcha.

DawgFromOxford
05-16-2015, 03:00 AM

Maybe it's just late and I'm not thinking this through all the way but why would this be a problem?

Dawg61
05-16-2015, 03:11 AM
Maybe it's just late and I'm not thinking this through all the way but why would this be a problem?

Cause Bill Belichick will be living in a condo

Dawgbite
05-16-2015, 06:32 AM
So he's afraid a Bearshark is going to give MSU $50k just so he can sit up there with a pair of binoculars and watch practice ? Honestly, I never considered this but they are obsessed.thats an easy fix, don't put windows on that side!

shannondawg
05-16-2015, 08:25 AM

They approached me about contributing and I told them I just wasn't a baseball guy, my main interest is in basketball . We talked about the condo's and they said that they sold the first one that morning, and they had just come from Fulton, so I think I have a pretty good guess who that would be.

AROB44
05-16-2015, 09:41 AM
You could get one for me (Big E) and basedog to use.....also would be good for basketball. :)

HancockCountyDog
05-16-2015, 09:55 AM
From what I understand, yes. They could build 40 and charge 500K allowing people to own them and accomplish the 20 million mark very easily, plus with condos usually there are condo fees that MSU would make money off of annually as long as the condos are around.

And I agree- who spends 50K a year on a house much less a condo/apartment that you would never own? Financially it makes a LOT more sense to buy a house even at a million dollars- of which I doubt there are that many million dollar home in the Golden Triangle to begin with- and buy season tickets than it does to constantly rent out a condo.

From what I am hearing there is an issue as far as having permanent residences on campus that don't comply with all types of legal regulations. Im not a lawyer but the guys I talked to were and they said the issues with the condos being "condos" as opposed to suites is the issue.

They are now marketing them as more of suites that you can stay in on the weekend - but not meant for living in which is how it was initially proposed. Im sure it will get all worked out, i'll just be interested to see how it is going to work out as far as the legal ramifications.

Saltydog
05-16-2015, 10:22 AM
nt

HSVDawg
05-16-2015, 10:31 AM
They are now marketing them as more of suites that you can stay in on the weekend - but not meant for living in which is how it was initially proposed. Im sure it will get all worked out, i'll just be interested to see how it is going to work out as far as the legal ramifications.

Which means the size and quality of the suites will be scaled down to something like a Residence Inn by Marriot. Which, don't get me wrong, is a decent hotel but by no means warrants a $50,000 per year price tag for sporadic access.

maroonmania
05-16-2015, 10:59 AM
Which means the size and quality of the suites will be scaled down to something like a Residence Inn by Marriot. Which, don't get me wrong, is a decent hotel but by no means warrants a $50,000 per year price tag for sporadic access.

Well, as I said, I just don't see many going at a 50K per year rate even if they were Presidential Suite sized.

basedog
05-16-2015, 12:00 PM
You could get one for me (Big E) and basedog to use.....also would be good for basketball. :)

I like your thinking AROB44, I mean why shouldn't friends share even for us poor boys? LOL, come on down shannondawg, we can find someone to watch the goats while your away!

beretta
05-16-2015, 02:14 PM
Why would the IHL stop it? The funding is going to come almost solely from private donations or from revenue from the stadium itself.

The IHL stopping it? thats the most absurd thing I've ever read on a message board. One thing to note on the IHL board, the newest member of the IHL board was just recently named. He is none other than Dr John W. Starr.

IHL wouldn't be the case of it not happening.