http://www.secsports.com/video/12876818/sec-west-football-predictions

Auburn
Bama
OM
Ark
LSU

Leroy Jenkins
05-15-2015, 05:40 AM
When someone can show me a guy who picked us to be #1 in the nation last year I will care about preductions, but only his.

ETA: I don't feel like it should have to be said but... Why would anyone place any importance on the opinion of a man named "Booger"?

Coach34
05-15-2015, 07:41 AM
When someone can show me a guy who picked us to be #1 in the nation last year I will care about preductions, but only his

+1

We were picked 4th, 5th, and 6th in the West last year.

Tbonewannabe
05-15-2015, 08:44 AM
So everyone thought the guys we had last year were good enough for middle to last in the SEC west and now we replaced those guys with either the same or higher "ranked" players. We bring back pretty much a full starting defense, one of the best QB in the country, and one of the best wr group in the SEC. We also upgraded our defensive coordinator. Yep, looks like 4th or so in the SEC West. Makes perfect sense.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-15-2015, 08:48 AM
http://www.secsports.com/video/12876818/sec-west-football-predictions

Auburn
Bama
OM
Ark
LSU

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2014/early-sec-west-predictions-2014/ I ain't worried about predictions AT ALL!

TrapGame
05-15-2015, 09:30 AM
Booger gonna Booger.

confucius say
05-15-2015, 09:46 AM
In watching that clip, they talk about dak not being an "established" or consistent passer... Can we put that narrative to bed yet? I mean, he may not be an nfl pocket type guy, but he ain't Chris relf (whom I liked, no offense). Didn't he throw for 3000 yards last year? Who is a more "established" passing qb in the sec?

Really Clark?
05-15-2015, 10:06 AM
In watching that clip, they talk about dak not being an "established" or consistent passer... Can we put that narrative to bed yet? I mean, he may not be an nfl pocket type guy, but he ain't Chris relf (whom I liked, no offense). Didn't he throw for 3000 yards last year? Who is a more "established" passing qb in the sec?

He threw for 3,449 yards last year and a 61.6% completion rate. What's even more remarkable to understand how steady he was throughout the year his completion rate for SEC only games was....61.6%.

MadDawg
05-15-2015, 10:10 AM

I'm too lazy to look it up but a buddy of mine claims Dak's numbers are better than Eli Manning's were at this point in their career. Anyone care to verify?

confucius say
05-15-2015, 10:12 AM
He threw for 3,449 yards last year and a 61.6% completion rate. What's even more remarkable to understand how steady he was throughout the year his completion rate for SEC only games was....61.6%.

Even better! I just don't get all the "he can run but can't pass well enough" crap. It's usually in the context of, he is not a good enough passer to play in the NFL. So the eff what (not that I concede the point, bc I do think he will be on a roster). Or it's in the context of, look at what happened against bama, mississippi, and gt when he couldn't run the ball. We win two of those if our defense doesn't go on a hiatus.

Coach34
05-15-2015, 10:16 AM
I'm too lazy to look it up but a buddy of mine claims Dak's numbers are better than Eli Manning's were at this point in their career. Anyone care to verify?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/eli-manning-1.html

Eli as a JR-

279/481- 58%...3401 yards...21 TD's...15 INT's...125 QBR

Prescott-

244/396...61.6%...3449 yards...27 TD's...11 INT's...151.72 QBR

confucius say
05-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Not an established passer my a**. Pisses me off.

Dawg496
05-15-2015, 10:19 AM

Eli as a JR-

Prescott-

Eli also had the benefit of starting his sophomore year and overall just way more experience up to their JR years.

dogshiek
05-15-2015, 10:21 AM
Ed Ashcroft of ESPN said on H2H yesterday that it didn't matter who played quarterback ole miss. Uh, I think we'll see that quality quarterbacks do matter in the SEC.

Coach34
05-15-2015, 10:23 AM
Prescott is easily the best QB the state of Mississippi has ever had

confucius say
05-15-2015, 10:29 AM
Prescott is easily the best QB the state of Mississippi has ever had

Now that's a strong statement. You mean as a college player only, nfl prospect, or both. Not disagreeing, just think it's a good debate. Favre, McNair, manning, and manning would be the contenders unh

confucius say
05-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Ed Ashcroft of ESPN said on H2H yesterday that it didn't matter who played quarterback ole miss. Uh, I think we'll see that quality quarterbacks do matter in the SEC.

If he said that he is a moron. It's the most important position on the field, especially for a team that has not been able to run the ball consistently in three years. See ark game last year.

Coach34
05-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Now that's a strong statement. You mean as a college player only, nfl prospect, or both. Not disagreeing, just think it's a good debate. Favre, McNair, manning, and manning would be the contenders unh

Strictly as a college football player. The NFL is irrelevant

Ifyouonlyknew
05-15-2015, 10:51 AM

Put college Steve McNair with this team & the results are crazy. I love Dak but he's not close to being as good as McNair in college.

Really Clark?
05-15-2015, 10:54 AM
Put college Steve McNair with this team & the results are crazy. I love Dak but he's not close to being as good as McNair in college.

Agreed and talk about being ahead of his time. Man what his numbers would have been like in this offense....absurd.

confucius say
05-15-2015, 10:56 AM

Ok just checking. I think it's an interesting debate. If dak puts up comparable 2015 numbers to his 2014 numbers, he will be right at the top. And against better competition than favre and McNair.

MadDawg
05-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Ok, now refresh my memory. Was Eli ever labeled as "not being an 'established' or consistent passer" going into his senior year?

Eli as a JR-

Prescott-

fishwater99
05-15-2015, 11:12 AM

I agree, Air McNair was great. You had to watch him in person to see how great he really was.

Coach34
05-15-2015, 11:18 AM
I've watched enough SWAC defenses to disagree

Really Clark?
05-15-2015, 11:23 AM

I know what you are saying but with him it wouldn't have mattered. And I think his pro career proved that to a degree and he was a heisman finalist at a SWAC school. And don't forget Jackie really tried to get him to sign here. Transport that man to this team under Mullen...I honestly believe he wins at least one Heisman.

ETA. I will happily admit I'm biased about his playing ability. Played with (baseball) and against him all during school. Best pure athelete I have known including players I've worked with in recent time.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-15-2015, 11:31 AM

I'm not looking at the SWAC defenses he played or the SWAC offenses players he played with. I'm looking at strictly his talent & his talent is the best I've ever seen at QB in the state & it's not close. You're talking about a guy who was just as big, just as strong, just as fast, with a stronger & more accurate arm as Dak. You say looked who he played against well think about McNair getting to throw to the likes of Bear, Ross, Gray, Brown, Morrow, etc with Dan designing & calling plays. It would've been totally unfair.

Really Clark?
05-15-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm not looking at the SWAC defenses he played or the SWAC offenses players he played with. I'm looking at strictly his talent & his talent is the best I've ever seen at QB in the state & it's not close. You're talking about a guy who was just as big, just as strong, just as fast, with a stronger & more accurate arm as Dak. You say looked who he played against well think about McNair getting to throw to the likes of Bear, Ross, Gray, Brown, Morrow, etc with Dan designing & calling plays. It would've been totally unfair.

Agreed and would have been just as good as a Safety (what most D1 schools recruited him as). Had the MS high school record for Int for a long time I believe.

confucius say
05-15-2015, 12:30 PM

He was faster, but not as big and strong as dak. McNair was skinny in college compared to his nfl days. 200-210 tops. 230 in Nfl. Arm strength was equal if not in favor of dak. Still give air the edge though bc of his explosiveness.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-15-2015, 12:39 PM
He was faster, but not as big and strong as dak. McNair was skinny in college compared to his nfl days. 200-210 tops. 230 in Nfl. Arm strength was equal if not in favor of dak. Still give air the edge though bc of his explosiveness.

McNair weighed in at 218lbs at the combine so he was a few lbs lighter than Dak. No way was arm strength equal or even slightly in favor of Dak. McNair had a great arm Dak has a solid arm.

Really Clark?
05-15-2015, 12:58 PM

Monk was over 200 probably close to 210 at graduation but I know he was 200-205 during the season as a Sr in High School. He was not skinny. Freddie was skinnier though. Now Dak did weigh more (220) but you also have to consider the era and strength program of the two high schools. Not to mention what we would have done to him. Steve had as strong of an arm if not better than Dak with better touch on deep balls. I love Dak but Monk beats him out IMO

MaroonState
05-15-2015, 01:01 PM
I know what you are saying but with him it wouldn't have mattered. And I think his pro career proved that to a degree and he was a heisman finalist at a SWAC school. And don't forget Jackie really tried to get him to sign here. Transport that man to this team under Mullen...I honestly believe he wins at least one Heisman.

ETA. I will happily admit I'm biased about his playing ability. Played with (baseball) and against him all during school. Best pure athelete I have known including players I've worked with in recent time.

Jackie tried to sign him as a DB for most of the time but didn't start recruiting him as a QB until too late in the process. If KJS would have recruited him the whole time as a QB we probably sign him. That's what alcorn did. Recruited him the whole time as a QB and it took. Especially with his brother having played at Alcorn. Can't imagine how boss we would have been with him as QB of that 94 team we had. But alas what never was.

Really Clark?
05-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Jackie tried to sign him as a DB for most of the time but didn't start recruiting him as a QB until too late in the process. If KJS would have recruited him the whole time as a QB we probably sign him. That's what alcorn did. Recruited him the whole time as a QB and it took. Especially with his brother having played at Alcorn. Can't imagine how boss we would have been with him as QB of that 94 team we had. But alas what never was.

Actually that's not exactly correct, Rocky had originally recruited him as a DB, like a lot of schools except Florida who was recruiting him as a RB, Jackie had just been hired after Steve's SR year. Jackie tried to hedge his bets with recruiting him with a definite shot at QB. Jackie's problem was he, like many other coaches during that time, would move players either after a short shot at QB or the player never even getting an opportunity. The family knew that. I think Jackie might have been sincere in this case but his history hurt him. If Steve had signed with any other team besides Alcorn it would have been USM as they were willing to give him an honest shot. UM fans want to believe that they were in it but they were not. Jackie made up a lot of ground in a short time (Rockie and them didn't recruit him right) and momma liked Jackie. But just a little too late. If Jackie had been here a year prior I think we had a really really good shot. Now Miami was also in it pretty well but it was as a DB for them as well. There were other reasons for him to go to Alcorn besides Freddie and QB opportunity but that is another story.

Really Clark?
05-15-2015, 02:04 PM
From a 1993 Sports Illustraited article about Steve's recruitment, I couldn't find the original but this has an excerpt talking about his weight at 215 when he graduated and what he was being recruited as, by Jackie as well:

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/mississippi-state-football-history/2013/9/3/4667138/msu-vs-alcorn-state-historical-steve-mcnair-the-defensive-back