PDA

View Full Version : Punt Return TDs thoughts?

justwin
05-14-2015, 12:01 PM
If you had to pick one guy on our roster to take 20+ punt returns in 2016, who would you pick hoping that would translate to 2+ tds?

Mainly, I want a guy who has an aggressive mindset to catch it every time and never lets it hit the turf. Hate when they let it bounce.

I think the options are:

Donald Gray - proven record in HS & Juco. He actually took a few in the spring and what I liked is he actually ran into traffic to make the fair catch. I wouldn't be shocked if he caught everything increasing his odds of producing big plays.

Jamoral Graham - worlds of potential with the right kind of swagger, too risky for me though. Of course, he was a true freshman. I do think he was indecisive too often on whether to catch it. His 2nd miffed punt was in traffic where he should've been more aggressive and kind of started the domino effect. He did let one or two hit the turf in the spring game.

Fred Ross - solid hands, good field presence and had a 10 yd return avg on what he returned last year. To me, a solid choice, possibly the guy.

Gabe Myles - this is my #1 choice. Randall Cobb 2.0. Very ball savy, quick, great hands, aggressive

Will Redmond - top end speed. Kind of an unknown b/c never given the chance. broken hand last year though.

Malik Dear - only concern is can he perform as a freshman and get beyond the freshman rattles that Graham had. Seems like a cocky, confident dude which is what you want. probably stout to bring down.

Jamal Peters - does he have the legitimate offensive ball skills to succeed? Speed and size are in his favor.

For me THIS year, I go with Myles then Ross then Gray in that order. It's tough though b/c Gray seems to be earmarked for this gig. Ross is the safe bet.

Also, is it dumb to have 2 of those 3 back at one time? Can you effectively setup blocks with having 2 guys possibly returning? I just think that would be aggressive/successful ala Va Tech.

for reference, abysmal stats for Mullen's first 6 years:

2009: 15 returns for 151 yds for 10 yd avg. 1 td by Elliott on a blocked punt
2010: 17/153 9 yd avg; 0 tds
2011: 28/311 11; 2. TDs by Bump & Banks
2012: 23/171 7.5; 0 tds
2013: 24/87 3.6; 0 td
2014: 25/149 6; 0 tds. Ross was 7/75 with 10 yd avg though.

Over those years, Bump has been the best with a ~11 yd avg and scored 1 td. Since Bump, Ross has shown he's right there with him in terms of production.

smootness
05-14-2015, 12:03 PM
If we're going strictly on big plays, I think it's definitely Donald Gray. The only question for him is hands, so Ross is the safer option.

My ranking would be:
1. Gray
2. Ross
3. Redmond
4. Graham
5. Dear

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2015, 12:09 PM
1. Ross - I know he's going to catch it & got better on returns as the year went on.
2. Gray - We all know the explosiveness is there but had a few muffs last year in Juco. Can't afford those in the SEC.
3. Myles - Smart, good hands with adequate speed. Basically like Ross returning.

justwin
05-14-2015, 12:18 PM
If we're going strictly on big plays, I think it's definitely Donald Gray. The only question for him is hands, so Ross is the safer option.

My ranking would be:
1. Gray
2. Ross
3. Redmond
4. Graham
5. Dear

How far is the gap between Gray and Ross to you? I've seen limited clips on Gray, but all good. I do like that he scored in spring game.

justwin
05-14-2015, 12:20 PM
1. Ross - I know he's going to catch it & got better on returns as the year went on.
2. Gray - We all know the explosiveness is there but had a few muffs last year in Juco. Can't afford those in the SEC.
3. Myles - Smart, good hands with adequate speed. Basically like Ross returning.

how many TDs does Ross score if he's the guy fulltime? The thing about Gray is I wouldn't be shocked if he scored 5 tds/leads SEC or none....I just don't know what we have in him.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2015, 12:33 PM
how many TDs does Ross score if he's the guy fulltime? The thing about Gray is I wouldn't be shocked if he scored 5 tds/leads SEC or none....I just don't know what we have in him.

I can't say Ross would run back any. Before you think that's bad only 5 guys returned punts for TD's last year in the SEC. Now with Gray thinking he'd run back 5 TD's is just not reasonable when the SEC Punt Return TD leader only ran back 2 last year. If Gray can show & prove trustworthy of course you want him back there but with our early season schedule of LSU, A&M, & Auburn all within the 1st 5 games when does he get in game practice? Ross would definitely be my guy to start out & as the season progress put Gray back there when you have a chance.

jumbo
05-14-2015, 12:49 PM
I don't view Ross as the home run threat either. With Ross though I know he's going to catch it everytime and probably get 10ish yards per return. He is the "safe" option.

Gray is the wildcard. He's the biggest threat to take one to the house each time, but as others have mentioned he muffed a few last year.

smootness
05-14-2015, 02:38 PM
How far is the gap between Gray and Ross to you? I've seen limited clips on Gray, but all good. I do like that he scored in spring game.

To me, if Gray has sure hands, it's a pretty wide gap. But if he muffs some, Ross is just fine.

I like Myles more as a KR. He has more straight speed than quickness. I would be ok with him and Redmond returning kicks.

Political Hack
05-14-2015, 03:28 PM
I'll give y'all one guess who I pick. I choose this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEMOA88HGEo

TrapGame
05-14-2015, 03:38 PM
Ross looked really good when he got his chance late last season.

Dallas_Dawg
05-14-2015, 03:58 PM
I don't care about TDs after watching us let punts bounce and roll or muffed.
Let's let Ross catch it and run 10 yards or so and let our Heisman candidate take it to the house.

BulldogBear
05-14-2015, 04:02 PM
I don't care about TDs after watching us let punts bounce and roll or muffed.
Let's let Ross catch it and run 10 yards or so and let our Heisman candidate take it to the house.

Agreed. The muffs make me cringe. It's the only reason Auburn stayed in the game at all last season.

thf24
05-14-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm perfectly content with a 10 yard average compared to the something like -2 we had in 2013.