PDA

View Full Version : RB situation for 2013

Coach34
04-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Perkins is going to be the starter
Shumpert is likely to RS
Griffin will be 10 months post surgery when we kickoff vs OK State
JRob needs more carries
Milton looks the part, is having a great Spring, and hopefully is overcoming the fumbling

a 3-headed RB situation just doesnt really work well- and a 4-headed one damn sure dont. RB's need carries and dont need to spend quarters or halves on the bench between carries. So, what do you propose we do?

AsphaltFunk
04-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Perkins 1st and 2nd down back, Robinson 2nd and 3rd down back, Milton relieves Perkins when needed and use Griffin sparingly this year due to his being prone to injuries

WutheringDawg
04-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Hopefully we use the spring to decide the backup. I've never been a fan of going with the hot hand during a game. Mainly because it seems that our coaches are terrible at realizing what is working and what isn't within the game.

ComradeDawg
04-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Run Perk into the ground. Often, hard and long. Smash mouth running sets out of spread option offense. That way, teams will have to gameplan for both a serious running attack AND a spread option passing - screen/toss/run option offense.

Damn, I can feel the wool growing. This shit is ITCHY!!!!

Hump4Hoops
04-02-2013, 12:35 PM
He's the worst up-the-middle back in our stable. That's why he ended up with <50 rushing yards against any team with a decent front line.

I want us to use him on almost as many plays, just mix it up. He can play the slot some, and there's nobody better to sneak in a shovel pass or something to.

Spider-Man
04-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Hopefully we use the spring to decide the backup. I've never been a fan of going with the hot hand during a game. Mainly because it seems that our coaches are terrible at realizing what is working and what isn't within the game.

I disagree. The way that Griffin was running against LSU and Ole Miss, he should have never come out. Keep feeding him the ball. He was breaking most 5-7 ypc. Then we replace him with Perkins who proceeds to get 1-3 ypc.

But for the question posed by OP. Let Perkins tote first, Robinson as 2nd, and only bring in Milton when Perkins is gassed.

ComradeDawg
04-02-2013, 12:52 PM
I disagree. The way that Griffin was running against LSU and Ole Miss, he should have never come out. Keep feeding him the ball. He was breaking most 5-7 ypc. Then we replace him with Perkins who proceeds to get 1-3 ypc.

But for the question posed by OP. Let Perkins tote first, Robinson as 2nd, and only bring in Milton when Perkins is gassed.

Hell yes.

AsphaltFunk
04-02-2013, 01:05 PM

I agree

Uncle Ruckus
04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
lsu didn't seem to have a problem using 4 backs in '11, but i guess they are the exception. if milton has corrected his fumbling issues from the past i actually like him the best if we are going to be under center more. i think perkins should be primarily used in the gun and in the slot. i really wish griffin was healthy because he was our best back towards the end of the year.

AsphaltFunk
04-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Under the center, Robinson could have a good year. A couple of yards head start and then receive the ball will make a huge difference running between the tackles.

AsphaltFunk
04-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Hell our play actions might even work

BeastMan
04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Perkins 1st and 2nd down back, Robinson 2nd and 3rd down back, Milton relieves Perkins when needed and use Griffin sparingly this year due to his being prone to injuries

Depends what you want out of your 3rd down back and the yardage. 3rd and short I like JRobs b/t the tackles running. 3rd and long, I like Milton receiving out of the backfield and it isn't even close.

SnakePlissken
04-02-2013, 01:51 PM
I like Perk getting most of the carries with JRob getting the relief role. Bring in Milton as needed but we need to get a two-back system for the most part.
I truly like Nick Griffin but I fear his injury will get the best of him. I know it took a long time for him to get the confidence back after the first injury so I imagine it may be even longer (mentally) on this second one.

FISHDAWG
04-02-2013, 01:57 PM
so who is the fullback when we need one ?

SnakePlissken
04-02-2013, 01:59 PM
so who is the fullback when we need one ? I think we are going away from that and will be using more 2 - tight sets and/or H back sets. That is why we moved Turtle over to offense (for his athleticism)

archdog
04-02-2013, 03:25 PM

Perk, Milton, Robinson. Give Griffin the year to recover. Use him in option sets towards the end of the year.

I am ready to see Shump on the field, but a redshirt year will turn him into a beast.

archdog
04-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Oh yeah, goal line, Richie Brown and Dak

jumbo
04-02-2013, 03:34 PM
so who is the fullback when we need one ?

I feel like I read that Corvell Harrion-Gay was being used as a FB in practice

Lettuce
04-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Milton has to get more touches. Glad we are swinging him out of the backfield as a receiver. With the two tightends/H back set hopefully taking, we need a receiving RB to exploit the mismatches. I know Perk has hands as well but Milton has the length and can go across the middle.

Todd4State
04-02-2013, 05:27 PM
OK- this is crazy. But it's what I would do.

Use Perkins as an athlete. Line him up in the backfield, in the slot, put him in motion. We need to throw the ball to him some to take full advantage of him. He has shown that he can run routes, can be used in the screen game and he can also be an effective RB if he can get to the corner.

Then use Robinson and Shumpert as our backs. If Milton steps up, fine- do whatever combination works the best. I agree with coach that three RB systems don't work great usually- but two RB's do work.

Use Christian Holmes as our FB- it's a role position anyway.

War Machine Dawg
04-02-2013, 06:00 PM
I propose J-Rob carries the load and starts. Use Perk as a 3rd down/receiving/change-of-pace back to J-Rob. You gotta be hella physical to be a between the tackles runner in the SEC. I love Perk, but he ain't that guy. J-Rob is. I can probably count on one hand how many times I saw one guy tackle J-Rob or knock him down on contact last year. Seemed like he ALWAYS fell forward for an extra 1-3 yards. He reminded me a lot of Boobie in that regard.

If Griffin hadn't torn up his knee, I'd be on his bandwagon. But considering all the issues he had, particularly mental, coming back from his first ACL, I can't really get on board with him. That's always subject to change if he comes back and looks like he did at the end of last season. But I'm in "show me" mode with him.

I'm just not a big Milton fan. He looks the part, but you gotta hold on to the damn ball. He can't do that. Frankly, he was the 4th best back last season. I just don't see that changing.

Shumpert is a lock to redshirt.

All that said, we all know what WILL happen: Perk will start, take the bulk of the carries, and struggle to run between the tackles against legit SEC defenses. J-Rob/Griffin will look really good in limited touches due to their physicality, but won't get enough touches to matter. And Perk will be very underutilized in the passing game. But if we truly are going to see more of TR under center, we damn well better put a more physical back behind him in the I or one-back set.

BogeyGolfer
04-02-2013, 06:01 PM
that means you don't have one that can get the job done. I agree with Todd, Robinson should be our every down back and use Perkins in the "athlete" role. I can't believe how many of you still want Perkins to be the man when it's obvious he can't run between the tackles. I'm not convinced that Shumpert will be at RB, he may end up at safety, just ask anyone who watched him play in high school where they think he needs to play.

mathistondawg
04-02-2013, 06:02 PM
I want to see milton play for consecutive downs

War Machine Dawg
04-02-2013, 06:11 PM
OK- this is crazy. But it's what I would do.

Use Perkins as an athlete. Line him up in the backfield, in the slot, put him in motion. We need to throw the ball to him some to take full advantage of him. He has shown that he can run routes, can be used in the screen game and he can also be an effective RB if he can get to the corner.

You aren't crazy, Todd. That's EXACTLY how Perk should be used. He's a wild card, do-it-all type that needs to be exploited. What he ISN'T is an every down RB capable of pounding it between the tackles against SEC DLines.

PendingTransaction
04-02-2013, 06:12 PM
If we don't run block any better than we did last year, it won't matter who is running the ball.

msstate7
04-02-2013, 06:14 PM
If we don't run block any better than we did last year, it won't matter who is running the ball.

I look for the ol to have a great year. Day, Malone, and esp Jackson are going to open up some holes in the middle.

BeastMan
04-02-2013, 07:14 PM
WMD, I promise I wouldn't lie to you. Ask anyone that has gone to multiple practices and watched these guys in person a lot. Ladarius is our best back and it isn't even close. JRob and Milton both have bright spots but neither pass block well. JRobs doesn't receive out of the backfield well and Milton has to work on getting b/t the tackles grind it out yards. You aren't alone in wanting JRob to be the starter but I've never understood where that comes from. I think he'll be a dang good back for us but our fans hype him like he is the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders.

Raytoraid83
04-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Perkins is probably the most under appreciated guy on the team. The man ran for over 1000 yds last year.

FISHDAWG
04-03-2013, 08:48 AM
not crazy at all ... I like the idea of moving Perk around ... the defense would have a headache keeping up with him

Coach34
04-03-2013, 08:58 AM

alot of that had to do with scheme more than it did the OL- and why you are seeing us getting more TE's involved, as well as getting under center.

FISHDAWG
04-03-2013, 09:01 AM
same here ... I only remember Milton making 1 fumble (and it was pretty bad) last year and now it seems like he has been labeled as a fumbler (if that's a word)

Coach34
04-03-2013, 09:04 AM
You aren't alone in wanting JRob to be the starter but I've never understood where that comes from. I think he'll be a dang good back for us but our fans hype him like he is the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders.

He averaged over 6 ypc last season.
He had 2 different games in which he had a 50+ yard run- and then barely touched the ball again.

Last year's bowl game:

JRob 7 carries, 91 yards
LDP- 19 carries, 84 yards

People want to see JRob get 15 carries and let's see what happens.

War Machine Dawg
04-03-2013, 01:01 PM
Exactly, Coach. I don't give a damn what these guys look like in practice. I'm sure Perk looks like a beast running against our questionable DL. But I know what my eyeballs told me in real SEC games last year: Perk isn't physical enough to run between the tackles against LSU, Bama, aTm, etc. I love the guy, and have said for a while he needs more touches, but those touches need to come in the passing game & runs to the edge. Let J-Rob tote the mail between the tackles. He gets YAC, Perk doesn't. It's really that simple.

As for Perk going for 1000 yards, I admit it's a great accomplishment. But go back and look at his game-by-game totals. How many of those 1000 came against our best opponents? I'd say fewer than 250. He was great at going for ~100 yards against JSU, Troy, TN, etc. But when teams with REAL DLs came along, he struggled big time. Perk has a role, and it should be a big one. But that role isn't as an every down RB.

War Machine Dawg
04-03-2013, 01:04 PM
same here ... I only remember Milton making 1 fumble (and it was pretty bad) last year and now it seems like he has been labeled as a fumbler (if that's a word)

It wasn't just fumbles in games, Fish. It's that we'd heard all last spring & into fall that he'd had butterfingers in practice, too. Then he comes out and has about 4 fumbles in games. THAT'S why he's been labeled as not being able to hold onto the ball. If it was just 1 fumble in a game, it's not an issue. But it's been an ongoing problem with him for over a year, by all accounts.

BeastMan
04-03-2013, 01:28 PM
What your eyes told you in real SEC games? JRob had 55carries and few were against the "real SEC" games as you say. Milton didn't fumble 4x last year. No idea where you got that from. I have no issue with you liking JRob, I like him too but you thinking he is better than LP just isn't close to the truth.

FISHDAWG
04-03-2013, 02:01 PM
thanks for clearing that up ... wasn't aware of the problem in practice and I could only remember 1 fumble (but it was at a really bad time to fumble) ... I hope he can get it together because the guy looks like a tank