PDA

View Full Version : Former MSU Student Now Playing D-1 Basketball

Brad Stevens
05-13-2015, 11:46 AM
This is a great story, if you have the time to read it. A guy who did not even play varsity basketball in high school, will now be playing for Winthrop next year (he spent a year and a half at Mississippi State and was best friends with my brother-in-law). I promise it's worth the 10 minute read.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/12/23-year-old-jimmy-gavin-earns-division-i-scholarship-having-never-played-a-varsity-sport/

oldjoedawg
05-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Really inspiring story, thanks for posting.....

Brad Stevens
05-13-2015, 04:51 PM
While it took a tragedy and lots of hard work, I guess Jimmy Gavin is proving DAWG61 right -- we do have D-1 guys playing in the Sanderson.

Smitty
05-13-2015, 05:29 PM
While it took a tragedy and lots of hard work, I guess Jimmy Gavin is proving DAWG61 right -- we do have D-1 guys playing in the Sanderson.

My first thoughts were this

civildawg
05-13-2015, 05:57 PM
Jimmy is a friend of a friend. We played many a games in the Sanderson. He was the best player on the court usually

RougeDawg
05-14-2015, 11:17 AM

More posters besides 61 were saying the Sanderson had some people who were better than the players Ray put on the court, especially when we couldn't even dress a full roster. That was the point back then, that he could have easily had a tryout in the Sanderson and upgraded the talent level. The gist was ray was using the "not full roster" bit as an excuse.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2015, 11:22 AM
There has always been guys in the Sanderson who could play D1/SEC ball. That's never been the issue. I started school in 99 graduated in 04 & I can probably name a dozen guys I played with during those years who could've played at MSU & that was during a time when our bball program was up & running on all cylinders. The problem is 99% of the guys that are good enough don't have the discipline, desire, or work ethic to do what it takes to play at a major college level. The time, sacrifice, & hard work that an actual SEC athlete has to put in most Sanderson legends aren't willing to put in the time to show & prove they have the talent.

TheRef
05-14-2015, 12:27 PM
More posters besides 61 were saying the Sanderson had some people who were better than the players Ray put on the court, especially when we couldn't even dress a full roster. That was the point back then, that he could have easily had a tryout in the Sanderson and upgraded the talent level. The gist was ray was using the "not full roster" bit as an excuse.

FWIW, Ray did open tryouts every year...so if they didn't get on the team, it's kinda their own fault.

Dawg61
05-14-2015, 09:33 PM

I've played with or seen play in the Sanderson the following, Darryl Wilson, Tang Hamilton, Shane Power, Derrick Zimmerman, Travis Outlaw, Jr. Outlaw, Wayne Madkin, Dicenzo Miller. During the summer you could find some high quality games going on. That may have changed since the practice court got built but the point of that post 4 ****ing years ago was that it's unacceptable to fly to ****ing Hawaii with only eight players on the team.

Dawg61
05-14-2015, 09:36 PM
FWIW, Ray did open tryouts every year...so if they didn't get on the team, it's kinda their own fault.

He had one his first season before the season started at 6am and nobody showed up. He didn't hold another tryout till the next year. Ray was a joke. Glad he's gone.

CadaverDawg
05-14-2015, 10:03 PM
He had one his first season before the season started at 6am and nobody showed up. He didn't hold another tryout till the next year. Ray was a joke. Glad he's gone.

"Have I mentioned MSU only gave Ray 3 years? 3 years. 3. 3 years. Only 3. Only 3 years for a coach as good as Rick Ray. Only. 3. Years. Three. T. H. R. E. E. 3." - Goodman

SDDawg
05-14-2015, 11:36 PM
There have been some skilled players in the Sanderson over the years, no doubt. Very competitive and skilled athletes. I was always "concerned" that Ray could never find another 2 or 3 guys with D-1 athleticism...

Brad Stevens
05-15-2015, 11:34 AM
I really was joking and never meant to turn this into a "who saw who play in the Sanderson" thread. I really do think it's a cool story for Jimmy Gavin with the terrible disease he had to battle, along with the loss of his younger brother. This is just a great story, period.