PDA

View Full Version : Elk/Mule Deer Trip

EMDawg
05-12-2015, 12:39 PM
A couple of buddies and me are looking to do an elk/mule deer trip (guided/semi-guided) either this year or next. I have no clue on where to begin on outfitters. I was told Colorado had the best shot at us getting tags. Do any of y'all have any advice?

SapperDawg
05-12-2015, 01:15 PM
CO has the largest herd, readily available over-the-counter tags and lots of public land, with Montana being a close second from a huntability standpoint. If you dont want to do a pack-in/out backcountry wilderness trip, but still want a partial DIY experience, then a drop-camp outfitter would be the way to go. They pack you in on horse deep into public land wilderness areas and set you up in a camp then allow you to hunt on your own for whatever time period (you can do guided as well). Call them on the sat phone when you get one down, and they come to pack you out.

Bow hunting, no issue getting tags for the majority of units, and this will be the rut. I think the first gun season is draw only, so it will be tougher to get a good draw for all of you without preference points built up. Second and third gun seasons have OTC tags again, I think, for selected units. The problem with the late seasons is that the elk have been chased pretty good at this point, and many are on private land.

If you are dead set on gun hunting later in the season, probably best to look at an outfitter with ranches or other private land to hunt.