PDA

View Full Version : Adidas bats...

maroonmania
05-12-2015, 11:58 AM
just curious, are we contractually obligated to continue using them or can we move to a different bat anytime we choose to? I know if I was Cohen I wouldn't want to be going into next year on somewhat of a "hot seat" using a product that's mediocre at best.

Homedawg
05-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Word is that we won't be using them next year.

MetEdDawg
05-12-2015, 12:12 PM
This has probably been discussed before but I have been too depressed about baseball to talk about it. But what bats does Texas A&M use?

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Adidas probably wants us to quit using them. We are the poster child for what is wrong with Adidas bats.

maroonmania
05-12-2015, 12:24 PM
This has probably been discussed before but I have been too depressed about baseball to talk about it. But what bats does Texas A&M use?

Not sure, but I remember it was established that they were NOT using Adidas.

monroedawg5646
05-12-2015, 12:27 PM
aTm uses Easton

MSUDawg99
05-12-2015, 12:34 PM
Easton is who I wish we used. Our softball team uses them too.

monroedawg5646
05-12-2015, 12:46 PM
I would like to see Easton or Louisville Slugger.

Bully13
05-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Any good hitting teams using adidas?

maroonmania
05-12-2015, 01:00 PM
Any good hitting teams using adidas?

I really don't know of another team using adidas bats. Probably one out there somewhere but I don't know who they are.

Dawg61
05-12-2015, 01:55 PM
I would like to see Easton or Louisville Slugger.

I'm good with either of these.

DawgFromOxford
05-12-2015, 02:02 PM
I know there's been a bunch of talk about Adidas bats lacking when compared to other brands, and I want to agree just based on our hitting performance this year. I've still yet to see actual proof that these bats are worse however, so is there any actual data saying adidas bats are worse than say Easton or Louisville other than the fact that our teams hitting performance has been lack luster to say the least? I'd like to switch to Easton or Louisville just curious if theres factual data that proves Adidas bats are actually underperforming.

smootness
05-12-2015, 02:10 PM
I know there's been a bunch of talk about Adidas bats lacking when compared to other brands, and I want to agree just based on our hitting performance this year. I've still yet to see actual proof that these bats are worse however, so is there any actual data saying adidas bats are worse than say Easton or Louisville other than the fact that our teams hitting performance has been lack luster to say the least? I'd like to switch to Easton or Louisville just curious if theres factual data that proves Adidas bats are actually underperforming.

No. It's likely that all the bats are generally the same; the only real difference is in branding. Adidas hasn't traditionally made bats, and people have heard of Easton and LS for years, therefore Adidas is worse.

It's kind of like golf clubs/balls. Pretty much everything available to the public is similar, but everyone swears one brand is better than another. I swing some terrible old Voit clubs that my granddad used. Are Titleist clubs better? Maybe a little, but I can pretty much guarantee you I won't go out and be tangibly better on the course with them.

Really Clark?
05-12-2015, 02:32 PM
No. It's likely that all the bats are generally the same; the only real difference is in branding. Adidas hasn't traditionally made bats, and people have heard of Easton and LS for years, therefore Adidas is worse.

It's kind of like golf clubs/balls. Pretty much everything available to the public is similar, but everyone swears one brand is better than another. I swing some terrible old Voit clubs that my granddad used. Are Titleist clubs better? Maybe a little, but I can pretty much guarantee you I won't go out and be tangibly better on the course with them.

I can see where you are coming from with your analogy and it fits a 20 handicapper but a scratch golfer can tell a difference in club head and especially with the shafts and drivers. Can he still be a good golfer? Absolutely, but you can't work the ball as well with a cheap cavity back as you can a blade. That extra 10 yards on the drive might mean the difference of hitting a 7 iron instead of soft 5, etc. over the course of time it will mean strokes saved.

That does not mean our bats are an issue. But if the sweet spot is smaller or if players have a harder time finding a bat that preforms the way they like, when dealing with higher level players, it could be an issue. If nothing else, if you just are not hitting the ball with a certain bat, the confidence factor could be a huge issue.

msstate7
05-12-2015, 02:48 PM
I don't think the bats are an issue. We have out hit a ton of teams this year and still lost. Situational and timely hitting has been our problem.

Let's just say that the ball doesn't travel as far off our bats. If that's true, then it likely evens out anyway. Off another bat the ball could carry to the of'er instead of drop in front of him. I don't think this team would've been a power team using the old bats. We just don't have much in the way of power.

smootness
05-12-2015, 02:55 PM
I can see where you are coming from with your analogy and it fits a 20 handicapper but a scratch golfer can tell a difference in club head and especially with the shafts and drivers. Can he still be a good golfer? Absolutely, but you can't work the ball as well with a cheap cavity back as you can a blade. That extra 10 yards on the drive might mean the difference of hitting a 7 iron instead of soft 5, etc. over the course of time it will mean strokes saved.

I see what you're saying, and a better golfer may see more of a difference than me. But what I have are blades, they're just not a brand name. I just don't believe there is as much difference in most clubs and equipment as most people would tell you, because we're all a product of marketing.

Tiger used Nike clubs and won. Now, they made them specially for him, but they still knew how to make a good club. It's not a secret.

Kyle Schwarber used Adidas bats his junior year at Indiana, so I'm guessing they're fine.

Really Clark?
05-12-2015, 03:13 PM
I see what you're saying, and a better golfer may see more of a difference than me. But what I have are blades, they're just not a brand name. I just don't believe there is as much difference in most clubs and equipment as most people would tell you, because we're all a product of marketing.

Tiger used Nike clubs and won. Now, they made them specially for him, but they still knew how to make a good club. It's not a secret.

Kyle Schwarber used Adidas bats his junior year at Indiana, so I'm guessing they're fine.

Oh I wasn't saying you were not hitting blades. And you hit on a key deal as well. Tiger had clubs tuned to him. A difference in performance over off the rack.

Again, with today's bats, at least as far as we know at this point, the performance shouldn't really be much different. But if you have hitter that's hot...see what happens if you try to switch out his bat. I do know they do track each manufacture, especially during tourney time, to see what they are doing in the hands of the players. But it can get pretty convoluted when trying to discern if so and so bat had more HR or was it a power type team anyway. Make no mistake the end bats are good no matter the brand but if a player loses confidence in his axe then that can cause issues.

maroonmania
05-12-2015, 03:14 PM
I don't think the bats are an issue. We have out hit a ton of teams this year and still lost. Situational and timely hitting has been our problem.

Let's just say that the ball doesn't travel as far off our bats. If that's true, then it likely evens out anyway. Off another bat the ball could carry to the of'er instead of drop in front of him. I don't think this team would've been a power team using the old bats. We just don't have much in the way of power.

I don't agree that it evens out IF that were the case. The deeper a ball goes on a line the harder it is for an OF to chase down and when he can't its a double or triple rather than a single. Plus, if its a HR, everybody scores, whereas for us if its just a double off the wall (i.e. like the Humphreys shot agaist LSU) we will botch up the baserunning and get outs on the bases rather than runs scoring at the plate.

dawgs
05-12-2015, 03:35 PM
I don't agree that it evens out IF that were the case. The deeper a ball goes on a line the harder it is for an OF to chase down and when he can't its a double or triple rather than a single. Plus, if its a HR, everybody scores, whereas for us if its just a double off the wall (i.e. like the Humphreys shot agaist LSU) we will botch up the baserunning and get outs on the bases rather than runs scoring at the plate.

Exactly what I was gonna say.

And situational hitting is a lot less necessary when you can drive an extra base hit to score a guy from 1B. We usually need to string together some combo of at least 3 of the following to score a run: BB, single, HBP, error, SB, sacrifice, and fielder's choice. The more steps you need to get runs across the plate, the more likely you won't get that run across the plate.

engie
05-12-2015, 04:06 PM
I'll take Samford's bats and hitting coach. They are leading the country in bombs per game again. Pretty sure they use demarini.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-12-2015, 04:15 PM
http://m.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201109/nikes-bewildering-college-baseball-bat-problems

Here's an article on Nike bats.

maroonmania
05-12-2015, 04:25 PM
http://m.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201109/nikes-bewildering-college-baseball-bat-problems

Here's an article on Nike bats.

Good find. Obviously all college bats are not created equally.

msstate7
05-12-2015, 04:34 PM
Good find. Obviously all college bats are not created equally.

Maybe not, but I think the problem is not all hitters/hitting technique are equal

confucius say
05-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Maybe we should just get some of the steroids that the football team uses, according to da bears.

msstate7
05-12-2015, 04:42 PM
Maybe we should just get some of the steroids that the football team uses, according to da bears.

Or roll our bats like OM

maroonmania
05-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Maybe not, but I think the problem is not all hitters/hitting technique are equal

Apparently both are problems.

Todd4State
05-12-2015, 04:48 PM

This is pretty much my opinion on the matter. We're supposed to be a top 20 baseball program. We shouldn't have to use generic baseball bats. We should find the best product and use that.

Billy Ray Valentine
05-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Adidas is a shoe company. Easton is a bat company. No brainer

Thick
05-12-2015, 08:40 PM
LSU uses DeMarini too. LSU softball uses Louisville Slugger Xeno. Just FYI

msstate7
05-12-2015, 10:12 PM
We need whatever type of bat this is...

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/5/12/8596325/giancarlo-stanton-dodger-stadium-home-run-KAPOW

Dawg61
05-13-2015, 12:47 AM

You're drunk if you think some shit irons from Wal-Mart hit anywhere close to Ping irons. I've played a ton of golf in my life. Which clubs you use most certainly makes a huge difference.

Homedawg
05-13-2015, 06:53 AM
You're drunk if you think some shit irons from Wal-Mart hit anywhere close to Ping irons. I've played a ton of golf in my life. Which clubs you use most certainly makes a huge difference.

I don't think he was referring to wal mart specials. I think he meant the big boys, Calloway, titielist, etc. at least that's the way I took it.

Original48
05-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Adidas is a shoe company. Easton is a bat company. No brainer
See I don't think cohen has exhausted all of his his out of the box thinking yet...particularly in this bat situation. I think next year, we should take Easton bats to the plate, THEN when we get down two strikes we switch to Adidas bats!

I seen it dawg
05-13-2015, 08:50 AM
See I don't think cohen has exhausted all of his his out of the box thinking yet...particularly in this bat situation. I think next year, we should take Easton bats to the plate, THEN when we get down two strikes we switch to Adidas bats!

Hahahahahahaha...you're right. Swing away with Easton and 2 strike Judy with Adidas

Coursesuper
05-13-2015, 09:18 AM

To tell the truth the club the guys on tour are using and what you by at you local shop / Watts etc are not even close to the same much of the time. Many players have irons that are Miura forgings of whatever club they are using. Vastly different.

Really Clark?
05-13-2015, 11:03 AM
To tell the truth the club the guys on tour are using and what you by at you local shop / Watts etc are not even close to the same much of the time. Many players have irons that are Miura forgings of whatever club they are using. Vastly different.

Very true and leads credence to the fact that all sticks are not created equal. I will say conversely the average golfer would play worse with a pro club than off the rack if for no other reason the sweet spot is smaller. Mishits will be worse with those clubs. But guys who are really good, and this can go through most any sport, can tell a difference in their equipment.

Billy Ray Valentine
05-13-2015, 11:27 AM

LMAO!! If Cohen reads this he'll prolly try it

HailState13
05-13-2015, 11:42 AM
Click the link below and go to the 25 second mark and you can see what the Adidas bat can do if you hit it in the sweet spot!

http://www.abc3340.com/clip/11451663/baseball-playoffs-cullman-takes-on-southside-pelham-beats-hillcrest

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-13-2015, 12:18 PM
Does Adidas even make their own bats or does someone else make them and put their name on it?

DawgFromOxford
05-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Does Adidas even make their own bats or does someone else make them and put their name on it?

Thats my guess is that they just brand someone else's bat.