PDA

View Full Version : CBS Post-Spring Top 25

thf24
05-12-2015, 11:23 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25182077/offseason-recap-college-football-post-spring-top-25

Feel like this one is starting to reflect predictions more grounded in reality. Still though, you'd think us (14) and OM (22) should be reversed based on the explanation that goes with each. They conveniently left out that OM dropped from 10 to 22 because they left spring still without a QB.

starkvegasdawg
05-12-2015, 11:36 AM
I can't argue with a preseason ranking of 14. Not at all. It gives us the respect we earned from last season while not over reaching on this season yet.

maroonmania
05-12-2015, 11:41 AM
Wow, highest I've seen anyone put us and the first time I've seen any 2015 pre-season poll put us ahead of OM.

thf24
05-12-2015, 12:14 PM
I can't argue with a preseason ranking of 14. Not at all. It gives us the respect we earned from last season while not over reaching on this season yet.

Agreed.

Coach34
05-12-2015, 01:01 PM
People are starting to wake up on us

DanDority
05-12-2015, 01:10 PM
Got to say, I'd rather fly under the radar. I guess I'm just used to no one giving us respect. I like to be the underdog I guess.

RougeDawg
05-12-2015, 01:16 PM
People are starting to wake up on us

Not everyone. Sally and Asschaps were slobbering all over Bucky earlier during the presser. Kept talking about the OLine having injuries during spring and they never got good reps as a full group. While leaving out the fact that the OLine depth is paper thin and the talent is extremely top heavy.

These rankings are more representative of what each SEC team has coming back, although I would put us ahead of LSU, especially with their QB situation. OM is not a top 25 team with those QB's they have, period. Other than those two, it's pretty spot on.

BulldogBear
05-12-2015, 01:20 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/25182077/offseason-recap-college-football-post-spring-top-25

Feel like this one is starting to reflect predictions more grounded in reality. Still though, you'd think us (14) and OM (22) should be reversed based on the explanation that goes with each. They conveniently left out that OM dropped from 10 to 22 because they left spring still without a QB.

Yep. The little paragraph on UMiss doesn't sound much different than whatever BJ writeup there would've been pre-spring

BulldogBear
05-12-2015, 01:21 PM
Got to say, I'd rather fly under the radar. I guess I'm just used to no one giving us respect. I like to be the underdog I guess.

There are many of us that feel the same way. Sure, I'd love to get a few accolades but the truth is that in general when flying under the radar is when we do really well.

starkvegasdawg
05-12-2015, 01:33 PM
There are many of us that feel the same way. Sure, I'd love to get a few accolades but the truth is that in general when flying under the radar is when we do really well.

If we ever want to be considered a great to elite team then we have to learn how to handle expectations. The true elites like Alabama, Oregon, OSU expect to be highly ranked in the preseason and don't start worrying about not flying under the radar.

If we want to someday be considered an elite team we have to not crap our pants if we are ranked preseason.

BulldogBear
05-12-2015, 01:40 PM
If we ever want to be considered a great to elite team then we have to learn how to handle expectations. The true elites like Alabama, Oregon, OSU expect to be highly ranked in the preseason and don't start worrying about not flying under the radar.

If we want to someday be considered an elite team we have to not crap our pants if we are ranked preseason.

You're right of course. I'm just saying that for the near future, I feel better about our chances when everyone keeps thinking of us as "Lil' ol' Mittippi Tate" until they look up at the scoreboard in the 4th quarter and think "WT17?" We seem to do better with a chip on our shoulder. I hope one day soon, that won't be a statistic any more.

starkvegasdawg
05-12-2015, 01:56 PM
You're right of course. I'm just saying that for the near future, I feel better about our chances when everyone keeps thinking of us as "Lil' ol' Mittippi Tate" until they look up at the scoreboard in the 4th quarter and think "WT17?" We seem to do better with a chip on our shoulder. I hope one day soon, that won't be a statistic any more.

Me and you both. I'm ready for the day when opposing teams' fans hate to see our team come out of the tunnel.

SDDawg
05-12-2015, 02:01 PM
I think being more on the radar is about the program change we want. You can't fly under the radar every year if you're having success. To me, this is where we ought to be. Visible across a broad range of polls, question marks highlighted, and dismissed from the SEC title and Playoff talk. Because it still gives our guys something to prove. If they really believe that they're competing for championships like last year, they'll still be motivated.

On OM, this is they year we've been waiting for. Bo held it together last year (mostly), but they can't hide the deficiency any more. I know that many of you love their defense, but I think more teams will go Arky on them and they'll struggle to keep the D off the field next year. We shall see...

Political Hack
05-12-2015, 02:02 PM

me too.

SDDawg
05-12-2015, 02:21 PM

This is one of my favorite posts in recent memory. So awesome, and I'm not even sure I agree. Well done.

Reason2succeed
05-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Wow, never expected to see a top 25 with State and Ole Miss and without Florida, South Carolina, and Texas A&M.

confucius say
05-12-2015, 04:41 PM

The goal is to be highly regarded while simultaneously keeping the proverbial chip perched on our shoulder

DancingRabbit
05-12-2015, 06:27 PM
It's pretty amazing we were able to go from unranked to #1 in 7 weeks. Past years that was thought to be pretty much impossible because the polls were hesitant to leapfrog teams even when strength of wins seemed to justify it. The CFB changed the thought process to some degree, plus all the heavy weights lost a game ... didn't hurt that we knocked off 3 of those in front of us.

Playing as #1 was a learning process and I don't think we were ever quite the same. I do think that Dan and Dak will handle it better if by chance we make it back.

coastratdog
05-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Don't really care how high we are ranked. What I care about is our team reading these press clips too much and forgetting to keep the fire. Black Bears will go to a mid to low bowl but not be ranked at the end of the season. I think we still have a top ten team. Depends on our kicking game as to how high.

CadaverDawg
05-13-2015, 08:39 AM
I usually find myself in the same place every year about this time. Maybe it's because I don't want my highs too high or whatever....but I feel like our fans may be a little too high on us and a little too low on OM. I still think we are pretty much neck and neck and we have the Egg at home so I give us a slight edge this year, but I don't see us repeating last year.

Do you guys realize that winning 10 games will mean we have to rely on winning MULTIPLE of the following games.....

Bama at home
LSU at home
Auburn on the road
A&M on the road
Arkansas on the road
Ole Miss at home

Not just 1 or 2. But 4 or more.

I understand that all of those games are "winnable", and getting Bama and LSU at home is being called a good thing this year. But it was only a little over a year ago that playing those 2 at home was when the schedule was the toughest...so I fail to believe that suddenly it's a good thing to get those 2 at home and having to play 3 brutal toss ups on the road.

I'm not trying to be negative, bc I believe we can do it...I just worry that too many of our fans have taken that LSU victory last year and penciled in another against them this year, and it ain't that easy. This special season everyone's expecting could turn into a battle for 7 wins if we don't beat Bama or LSU, bc suddenly everything else is on the road except Ole Miss, and we know that's their Super Bowl.

BeardoMSU
05-13-2015, 08:50 AM
I usually find myself in the same place every year about this time. Maybe it's because I don't want my highs too high or whatever....but I feel like our fans may be a little too high on us and a little too low on OM. I still think we are pretty much neck and neck and we have the Egg at home so I give us a slight edge this year, but I don't see us repeating last year.

Do you guys realize that winning 10 games will mean we have to rely on winning MULTIPLE of the following games.....

Bama at home
LSU at home
Auburn on the road
A&M on the road
Arkansas on the road
Ole Miss at home

I understand that all of those games are "winnable", and getting Bama and LSU at home is being called a good thing this year. But it was only a little over a year ago that playing those 2 at home was when the schedule was the toughest...so I fail to believe that suddenly it's a good thing to get those 2 at home and having to play 3 brutal toss ups on the road.

I'm not trying to be negative, bc I believe we can do it...I just worry that too many of our fans have taken that LSU victory last year and penciled in another against them this year, and it ain't that easy. This special season everyone's expecting could turn into a battle for 7 wins if we don't beat Bama or LSU, bc suddenly everything else is on the road except Ole Miss, and we know that's their Super Bowl.

Thanks for pissing in my cheerios, Cadaver.***
http://wjlondon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/sotd-disappointed.gif

Actually I somewhat agree with you. It's gonna be tough to manage that schedule, but that's what good teams do year in and year out, and I like our chances this year. I still see LSU as suspect with their QB issues. Bama will be Bama, but they've got issues of their own. Auburn and Arky scare me the most, to be honest.

I definitely agree that OM is being overlooked by most on this board, as they are just decent QB play away from being very very good.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-13-2015, 08:54 AM
I think we finally have that trump card that we've never had in the history of MSU football. His name is Dak Prescott. We've never stepped on any field where we knew no matter who we're playing against we have the best player on that field & his hands touch the ball every snap he's on the field. It's the same feeling Virginia Tech had with Michael Vick, Texas had with Vince Young, Auburn with Cam Newton, A&M with Johnny Manziel, etc. Does that mean we go undefeated & win the National championship?? No but it does mean I have 100% confidence that we go into every game with a great chance of winning. We have never had that feeling enjoy it, soak it up, & ride it for all its worth.

I seen it dawg
05-13-2015, 08:54 AM
State to win sec west

BeardoMSU
05-13-2015, 09:06 AM
I think we finally have that trump card that we've never had in the history of MSU football. His name is Dak Prescott. We've never stepped on any field where we knew no matter who we're playing against we have the best player on that field & his hands touch the ball every snap he's on the field. It's the same feeling Virginia Tech had with Michael Vick, Texas had with Vince Young, Auburn with Cam Newton, A&M with Johnny Manziel, etc. Does that mean we go undefeated & win the National championship?? No but it does mean I have 100% confidence that we go into every game with a great chance of winning. We have never had that feeling enjoy it, soak it up, & ride it for all its worth.

Slow clap, Dan. Slow clap.

maroonmania
05-13-2015, 09:14 AM

Bama at home
LSU at home
Auburn on the road
A&M on the road
Arkansas on the road
Ole Miss at home

And that's without even mentioning the worst schedule change from last year to this year. That being replacing what was basically an FCS quality Vandy team from last year to the 2-time defending SEC East champ Missouri team on the road this year. So that takes away an automatic SEC win and replaces it with a very challenging SEC road game where I'm sure we will be the underdog.

Coach34
05-13-2015, 09:14 AM
There is no doubt our schedule is tough- but so is everybody's in the SEC West
Ole Missus will be at worst an 8 win team- no matter who plays QB

Here is where my optimism for 10 wins comes from:

Bama is replacing damn near their entire offense- then lost their best WR for 2015 in the Spring to an ACL- we play them at home.
LSU has a new DC and is not very good at QB.
Home team wins the Egg Bowl- period.

We have the best QB in the SEC- and that is huge
We have 3 physical RB's with good hands
We have one of the best WR groups in the SEC- to go along with a great QB (that separates us and Ole Missus)
Our OL is more talented overall- and no starter has less than 3 years in college
Our DL is extremely physical
Our LB's are very good and Green will fight for more playing time
We might have the best CB tandem in NCAA Football

Do we have concerns and questions? Sure
Does everybody else have concerns and questions? Damn right they do

Right now I say 10-2 with losses @Auburn and @UPig. But my official one will come out in July as usual

BeardoMSU
05-13-2015, 09:22 AM
There is no doubt our schedule is tough- but so is everybody's in the SEC West
Ole Missus will be at worst an 8 win team- no matter who plays QB

Here is where my optimism for 10 wins comes from:

Bama is replacing damn near their entire offense- then lost their best WR for 2015 in the Spring to an ACL- we play them at home.
LSU has a new DC and is not very good at QB.
Home team wins the Egg Bowl- period.

We have the best QB in the SEC- and that is huge
We have 3 physical RB's with good hands
We have one of the best WR groups in the SEC- to go along with a great QB (that separates us and Ole Missus)
Our OL is more talented overall- and no starter has less than 3 years in college
Our DL is extremely physical
Our LB's are very good and Green will fight for more playing time
We might have the best CB tandem in NCAA Football

Do we have concerns and questions? Sure
Does everybody else have concerns and questions? Damn right they do

Right now I say 10-2 with losses @Auburn and @UPig. But my official one will come out in July as usual

I actually see Arkansas as a tougher road game than Auburn, to be honest. They are very physical, and will shorten the game in their favor, just like this past year. Auburn won't stop us from scoring, but the question will be what we will do with them? I doubt they'll gift us a 21-0 cushion again this year.

Coach34
05-13-2015, 09:39 AM
Boom will make Auburn a lot better on D. And you know they will be good on offense

confucius say
05-13-2015, 10:06 AM
8-4.

Dawg496
05-13-2015, 11:09 AM

Bama at home
LSU at home
Auburn on the road
A&M on the road
Arkansas on the road
Ole Miss at home

Well we'll win all the home games so really just one of those road games + Mizzou are necessary for a 10 win season. I'm thinking A&M. I think we split Arkansas/Auburn and win the West depending on Auburn's record.

Pollodawg
05-13-2015, 12:15 PM

This. All day. We should soak in this year for all it's worth. Dak is far and away the best QB in the conference, and possibly one of the best in the nation. When you have a QB, you have always have a chance.

SDDawg
05-13-2015, 12:20 PM
I like C34's strategy. Pump up OM and wait for them to implode...

MedDawg
05-13-2015, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=CadaverDawg;369737

Bama at home
LSU at home
Auburn on the road
A&M on the road
Arkansas on the road
Ole Miss at home

I understand that all of those games are "winnable", and getting Bama and LSU at home is being called a good thing this year. But it was only a little over a year ago that playing those 2 at home was when the schedule was the toughest...so I fail to believe that suddenly it's a good thing to get those 2 at home and having to play 3 brutal toss ups on the road. [/QUOTE]

When a team is good, they want the tough teams at home to improve the chances to win them all. When a team is mediocre, they expect to lose to good teams anyway so they want to play those away and play the easier and middlin' teams at home.

We've always been in the second category, hoping to win enough to get to a bowl. Even our better years have been when we've played the best teams away. Last year, it turns out, we would like to have been in the first category. Imagine if we had Bama and OM at home how even more special our season would have been. We still would likely have beaten A&M and probably Auburn and Arkansas away.

Anyway, 2015 is an opportunity to prove ourselves. IF we are a good team again, we have a better chance of beating Bama, LSU, and OM at home. IF we are a good team, we still have a good chance on beating A&M, Auburn, and Arkanasas away.

Johnson85
05-13-2015, 04:20 PM

Bama at home
LSU at home
Auburn on the road
A&M on the road
Arkansas on the road
Ole Miss at home

Not that those aren't formidable games, but they're not the challenge that they normally would be.

LSU at home I feel good about.
A&M on the Road I feel good about. Chavis would have to make a big improvement immediately, although I guess they will get better on offense with their QB having another year in the system.
Home advantage in the Egg Bowl is big.

Bama likely won't be what they usually are and we will have them at home. I'd call that close to a toss-up.
Arkansas on the Road will be tough. I'd call that a toss-up.
A&M on the road will be tough. I'd call that a little worse than a toss-up for us.

I'm not saying I expect to win 10 games, but basically the only team I think will be "up" compared to their average team is Ole Miss and we have them at home. Everybody else is down or at their normal level (which granted can still be really good).