PDA

View Full Version : Howland at Desoto Dawgs/Road Dawg Tour today...

Cowboydawg
05-11-2015, 04:58 PM
Nothing earth shattering but mentioned 7 players he was excited about: Malik, Sword, Ware, Thomas, Daniels, Houston, and Weatherspoon. Said he still wants to sign 1 or 2 more this class. He expects Thomas to have a much better year and has already seen improvement out of him. Sounds like he and Daniels are safe.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-11-2015, 05:02 PM
Neither one of those guys were ever in jeopardy of not being here next year.

Cowboydawg
05-11-2015, 05:10 PM
I agree and I like both players, especially Thomas. Was just glad to hear him say it after all the speculation on the boards. He mentioned Malik first then the 4 seniors we would rely on. Then said he liked Weatherspoons film although he had not seen him in person and thought Houston was going to be a good player for us.

maroonmania
05-11-2015, 05:18 PM
I'm sure he would like to sign another player but I'm just not sure what's left out there at this late stage that can help us all that much where we really need it, in the post.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-11-2015, 05:27 PM
With Daniels playing the 4 another big isn't exactly a necessity but would've been nice to have.

Cowboydawg
05-11-2015, 05:27 PM
He mentioned how hard it was to find someone this late in the game but that he and his assistants were giving their all to make it happen.

maroonmania
05-11-2015, 05:35 PM
With Daniels playing the 4 another big isn't exactly a necessity but would've been nice to have.

The problem is Ware is a defensive liability at the 5 and we don't really have another 5 to shore that up unless its Black. That's why I'm hoping that Black can improve enough between his FR and SO year to where he can provide us what we were hoping to get defensively from Kasongo.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-11-2015, 06:01 PM
I think Black can give us a solid defensive & rebounding presence.

mcdawg
05-11-2015, 06:10 PM
I think Black can give us a solid defensive & rebounding presence.

Howland told a buddy of mine that we had 7 SEC players. You saw the list at the top, so Black (and Ready) will have to get better.

thf24
05-11-2015, 06:18 PM
The problem is Ware is a defensive liability at the 5 and we don't really have another 5 to shore that up unless its Black. That's why I'm hoping that Black can improve enough between his FR and SO year to where he can provide us what we were hoping to get defensively from Kasongo.

The way I see it, it's going to have to come from those two regardless. I don't recall Howland mentioning Ndoye once, and that tells me even if he's still on the team, he probably won't see the floor. Zuppardo has the size to help out, but I don't know if he has the toughness or athleticism to guard SEC 5's, and Howland hasn't said much about him either that I can remember.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Howland told a buddy of mine that we had 7 SEC players. You saw the list at the top, so Black (and Ready) will have to get better.

We don't need Black to be great we need Black to be play hard. Rebounding, tough defense, & finishing around the rim doesn't require great talent or skill set. Also it is his job to get that out of Ready & Black if he feels that way. If he's the 2nd best coach in the SEC he can/should raise their level of play & I expect him to.

War Machine Dawg
05-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Damn, I totally forgot about the Road Dawg Tour being in OB today. Meant to go.

thf24
05-11-2015, 06:27 PM
If he's the 2nd best coach in the SEC he can/should raise their level of play & I expect him to.

I'd like to think there's a chance he can do the same with Ndoye. It would be a tall order for sure, but you can't teach 6'11". But as I said, I'm not getting my hopes up since Howland hasn't had anything good to say about him like he has most of the others.

Cowboydawg
05-11-2015, 06:31 PM
I expect Black to do exactly that...earn his spot as the hustle guy that defends and rebounds. It will be interesting to see how Ready responds to a freshman taking his starting position before he even steps foot on campus.

maroonmania
05-11-2015, 06:41 PM
I'd like to think there's a chance he can do the same with Ndoye. It would be a tall order for sure, but you can't teach 6'11". But as I said, I'm not getting my hopes up since Howland hasn't had anything good to say about him like he has most of the others.

Until I see something different I'm just counting anything we get out of Ndoye as an unexpected bonus.

Cowboydawg
05-11-2015, 06:48 PM
Only thing I've heard him say about Ndoye is that he has bad hands. Not a good quality for a big man that already doesn't bring anything to the table. Also not easy to fix.

maroonmania
05-11-2015, 06:53 PM

Well, on the bright side, we made the Final Four with essentially 7 SEC players.

Coach34
05-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Holy shit? Endo has bad hands??? I never noticed that....

msstate7
05-11-2015, 07:28 PM
Holy shit? Endo has bad hands??? I never noticed that....

Don't worry joe morrow will work with him

confucius say
05-11-2015, 07:33 PM

Well played

Coach34
05-11-2015, 07:34 PM

I laughed

CadaverDawg
05-11-2015, 07:42 PM

Bwahahaha

Rayburn8
05-11-2015, 08:05 PM

Lol, on another note, did Morrow drop many passed this year?

msstate7
05-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Lol, on another note, did Morrow drop many passed this year?

I don't think so. I said it to be funny at first. As I went to put my * at the end, I thought to myself... Hey morrow has improved his hands, so there's hope for ndoye too. So I left the * off and let you guys think what you will

CadaverDawg
05-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Morrow has definitely improved his hands. I'm proud of that guy. Hard work pays off

Homedawg
05-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Neither one of those guys were ever in jeopardy of not being here next year.

You must not have been paying attention to the internet**

Irondawg
05-12-2015, 12:25 AM
I'll agree with Howland that those are 7 quality SEC players. I think ready proved last year that he can hang and be moderately productive. But he doesn't really fit what Howlands wants in a PG. Ndoye it appears is going to get a year to prove himself. Black and Zupp are going to get some minutes out of sheer necessity. So one of those 3 guys needs to be able to step up and give us 15 solid minutes and night and somtimes 25.

Losing Kasongo really concerns me b/c we don't have a guy with his quickness in the post. An injury to Ware would be pretty crushing i fear unless Black really develops.

We've got to find several quality post guys for 2016

maroonmania
05-12-2015, 08:47 AM
I'll agree with Howland that those are 7 quality SEC players. I think ready proved last year that he can hang and be moderately productive. But he doesn't really fit what Howlands wants in a PG. Ndoye it appears is going to get a year to prove himself. Black and Zupp are going to get some minutes out of sheer necessity. So one of those 3 guys needs to be able to step up and give us 15 solid minutes and night and somtimes 25.

Losing Kasongo really concerns me b/c we don't have a guy with his quickness in the post. An injury to Ware would be pretty crushing i fear unless Black really develops.

Yep, losing Kasongo was sort of the same feeling of blowing a 7-2 lead in the bottom of the ninth. SO CLOSE, but couldn't close the deal

Ifyouonlyknew
05-12-2015, 08:58 AM

Howland did mention Ready last night when speaking on the coast. I think it was just an oversight earlier in the day because Ready will play a big part on the team next year.

Irondawg
05-12-2015, 10:18 AM
I'm still bummed about Kasongo - he wasn't going to be a star but his style was a great fit for what I think Howland wants to run. We don't have a replacement piece that can do the things he would have potentially done for this team.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-12-2015, 10:20 AM
I'm still bummed about Kasongo - he wasn't going to be a star but his style was a great fit for what I think Howland wants to run. We don't have a replacement piece that can do the things he would have potentially done for this team.

I think Black can do them just not at the explosive level that Kasongo could've. Their games would/will be similar Kasongo is just a better athlete.

Irondawg
05-12-2015, 10:28 AM
well that's what I mean - Black simply can't run the floor like Kasongo and won't be as quick on the offensive rebounds. I viewed Kasongo as that guy who could provide momentum plays. For instance maybe he sets a ton with a big block or a fast break dunk that would get the team and fans (at a home game) fired up. I think Black will come close to his overall numbers other than the blocks - just in a more unassuming way

Ifyouonlyknew
05-12-2015, 10:37 AM
well that's what I mean - Black simply can't run the floor like Kasongo and won't be as quick on the offensive rebounds. I viewed Kasongo as that guy who could provide momentum plays. For instance maybe he sets a ton with a big block or a fast break dunk that would get the team and fans (at a home game) fired up. I think Black will come close to his overall numbers other than the blocks - just in a more unassuming way

Yea I agree with that.

maroonmania
05-12-2015, 11:55 AM

When a third party is involved in a players' recruitment, we should have learned by now that we are very, very unlikely to get that recruit.