PDA

View Full Version : Heard that we just signed Tanner Poole from ICC.

Dawgbite
05-11-2015, 10:19 AM
OF from Amory.
.378 BA
39 RBI
6 HR
26 SB
.447 OBP
.643 SLG

state66
05-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Gotta sign a bunch of dudes. Sounds like we're cleaning house and going to need some bodies.

msstate7
05-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Numbers sound good. Hope he produces

SouthMsDawg
05-11-2015, 10:54 AM
Can he bunt?

HancockCountyDog
05-11-2015, 11:00 AM
I have to admit, that Im not crazy about signing jucos, especially this late in the game, unless they are elite.

Those are solid numbers, but nothing more than that. Solid. Only problem is that solid Juco players usually become average to below average SEC players.

This is probably a sign that he is about to clean house.

Dawgbite
05-11-2015, 11:16 AM
I guess what stands out to me is that in 36 games he had better than 1 RBI per game and .7 steals per game.

justwin
05-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Gotta sign a bunch of dudes. Sounds like we're cleaning house and going to need some bodies.

If cleaning house is to be expected at end of the season, and I am assuming both roster & staff shakeups, then, at that point... why bring Cohen back?

A lot of folks on here keep saying they feel Cohen deserves next year (I am indifferent), but if a massive shakeup does occur, odds are that next season will not be much better than this one. This seems a bit similar to the men's basketball situation we were in. It would be one thing if we had our current record while showing some sort of progress in play over the course of the season, but this team seems to have regressed each weekend.

This weekend UT series will likely determine Cohen's fate. If we get swept, while continuing to look hapless, then next week's ED posts could very likely be on how Strick should be on the horn with UVA's asst McMullan, or CoC's Lee...

state66
05-11-2015, 11:26 AM
Because we have a ridiculous recruiting class coming in that Cohen can win with.

BankerDog
05-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Cohen needs to be on the phone with Jarrod Parks over at EMCC about David Pimental. He's a freshman infielder from Brentwood, TN. Hitting .367, 14 HRs, 61 RBIs, 9 2Bs, and a .714 slugging %.

It also seems we have picked up a LHP from Alabama. Was supposedly committed to Alabama and was the number 1 ranked LHP in Alabama according to PG. Sorry the name escapes me right now

Saltydog
05-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Jacob prolly isn't returning, which doesn't really surprise me. Tanner has got a much better arm that Robby.

War Machine Dawg
05-11-2015, 12:12 PM
I have to admit, that Im not crazy about signing jucos, especially this late in the game, unless they are elite.

Those are solid numbers, but nothing more than that. Solid. Only problem is that solid Juco players usually become average to below average SEC players.

This is probably a sign that he is about to clean house.

This. Another JUCO. Yaaaaay. As I said, by the time this class gets decimated by the Draft and we scramble to sign a bunch of replacement players that aren't really an improvement over the current crop in terms of talent, I just can't see next year being much of an improvement over this season. Even Todd agrees that baseball crootin is done years in advance, meaning players that are still available this late in the process just aren't that good.

Political Hack
05-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Last I heard, Robson is planning to go pro.

Liverpooldawg
05-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Poole has been a heck of a player in multiple sports since he was little. He will do well. Best thing about that singing to a lot of Dawgs around his area is his Dad is a huge Bammer. I can't wait to see him sporting maroon and white.

CadaverDawg
05-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Happy for the kid, and glad to have him. Welcome.

That being said, if Cohen truly is cleaning house, it makes more sense to bring in a bunch of scrappy high school guys and develop them, than a bunch of Jucos IMO. This isn't a long term solution if that's what is happening.

RougeDawg
05-11-2015, 12:39 PM

That being said, if Cohen truly is cleaning house, it makes more sense to bring in a bunch of scrappy high school guys and develop them, than a bunch of Jucos IMO. This isn't a long term solution if that's what is happening.

Please provide evidence of Johnny actually "developing" any players. Hell, he has the most talent "on paper" now that he's ever had, yet they regress once they arrive in Starkville. This has been a recurring theme since Johnny arrived. The only hitters who have developed for the better have been developed in summer leagues or jumps elsewhere. Why is this so difficult to understand? It's out there for all to see, you just have to be willing to look at it.

gtowndawg
05-11-2015, 12:42 PM
but to me it doesn't sound promising for several years. Players leaving, staff shake ups, new balls, 1/2 love Cohen, 1/2 hate, juco signings that might or might not pan out (See King Jackie), good class that might get drafted and not come, and maybe a new coach after next year. Add it all up and sounds to me like it will be a couple of years (at least) before we can expect to win big again (meaning host a regional).

Dawgbite
05-11-2015, 12:52 PM

After this year, I don't think Cohen has the time to develop a bunch of scrappy high schoolers. It may be what" s best for the program in the long term but if he were to trot 9 freshmen out next year it would be like throwing sheep in a lions den. I honestly don't think Cohen's seat is HOT but its warm enough that he has to show improvement next year. He needs all the experience he can put on the field. If he is cleaning house as everybody thinks he is, he will add a couple of juco's to add that experience, plus you need some balance so that enough guys are leaving each year to make room for the next years recruits.

CadaverDawg
05-11-2015, 01:05 PM
After this year, I don't think Cohen has the time to develop a bunch of scrappy high schoolers. It may be what" s best for the program in the long term but if he were to trot 9 freshmen out next year it would be like throwing sheep in a lions den. I honestly don't think Cohen's seat is HOT but its warm enough that he has to show improvement next year. He needs all the experience he can put on the field. If he is cleaning house as everybody thinks he is, he will add a couple of juco's to add that experience, plus you need some balance so that enough guys are leaving each year to make room for the next years recruits.

Yea, I guess that's what I'm getting at. If that's the case, we might as well fire him. We need to do what's best for the program. If Cohen lays a plan out there that consists of cleaning house and bringing in a group of studs and playing them right away, with the expectation of it taking a year or two more to get back to where we were....fine, let's be patient. I'd rather that than him try a quick fix with Jucos to save his ass for one more year and be right back in the same shit next year at this time.

If the plan is a good plan going forward, I can be patient...but I've yet to see signs of a change in plans. Yes we're recruiting better, but we'll lose a lot to the draft and are still signing several Jucos. I understand how the ball change hurt us...so show us a plan that is going to make us better with the new ball, bc we're a big 0 fer 1

maroonmania
05-11-2015, 01:36 PM
but to me it doesn't sound promising for several years. Players leaving, staff shake ups, new balls, 1/2 love Cohen, 1/2 hate, juco signings that might or might not pan out (See King Jackie), good class that might get drafted and not come, and maybe a new coach after next year. Add it all up and sounds to me like it will be a couple of years (at least) before we can expect to win big again (meaning host a regional).

No need for us to swing way too far to the negative. There is an old saying that things are rarely as good as they seem in good times or as bad as they seem in bad times. I feel like this year's bad events have just snowballed on this team. Will have to wait until next year to see how things do or don't get turned around. After all, I wonder what UCLA fans were saying about this time last year when they were terrible yet here they are back at the top of the rankings one year later.

HancockCountyDog
05-11-2015, 01:40 PM
What is interesting is that Cohen's best example of development (Renfroe) is a kid that he didn't want to take. People forget that Renfroe was an extremely late add. I think he signed in April/May of his senior year - someone can correct me.

As far as hitters go, the Anti-Cohen folk have some legitimate arguments to make in my opinion as far as hitters go. As far as developing pitchers, its just silly to try and claim that he hasn't been outstanding in that area.

Bama_Dawg
05-11-2015, 02:21 PM
OF from Amory.
.378 BA
39 RBI
6 HR
26 SB
.447 OBP
.643 SLG

Welcome to the Dawgs, Tanner, now lace 'em up, shut your mouth, and get to work. Earn those colors.

SouthMsDawg
05-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Last I heard, Robson is planning to go pro.

Gonna be kinda hard if he isn't drafted.

Smitty
05-11-2015, 03:46 PM
"Cleaning house" is just another excuse he will use. He has that built in for next year "well we got a lot of young guys, new to SEC pitching, gonna take some time" bullshit.

I wouldn't allow him to clean house if I was Strick. The talent is there for us to win NEXT YEAR with the right guy in control.

confucius say
05-11-2015, 03:55 PM
"Cleaning house" is just another excuse he will use. He has that built in for next year "well we got a lot of young guys, new to SEC pitching, gonna take some time" bullshit.

I wouldn't allow him to clean house if I was Strick. The talent is there for us to win NEXT YEAR with the right guy in control.

That's why you'll never be an AD. You don't fire a coach coming off two regionals, a super, and a natty appearance over one bad season.

msstate7
05-11-2015, 03:57 PM
That's why you'll never be an AD. You don't fire a coach coming off two regionals, a super, and a natty appearance over one bad season.

Isn't that exactly what lsu did?

bulldogcountry1
05-11-2015, 04:29 PM
So, we have 21 guys signed for the fall?

msstate7
05-11-2015, 04:31 PM
So, we have 21 guys signed for the fall?

That seems a lot doesn't it?

ZedFedder
05-11-2015, 04:42 PM
TODDDDD haha

confucius say
05-11-2015, 05:19 PM

Nope, at least not with smoke laval

mparkerfd20
05-11-2015, 05:29 PM

Some people will never get that we aren't LSU in baseball. We aren't even close.

msstate7
05-11-2015, 05:34 PM
Nope, at least not with smoke laval

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_Laval

http://s21.postimg.org/csrj7hr53/image.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

msstate7
05-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Some people will never get that we aren't LSU in baseball. We aren't even close.

Maybe bc lsu fans expect (demand) more.

Lsu has gotten rid of this mentality some if you ask me. I think the only thing keeping lsu from competing for football titles now is holding onto miles

Smitty
05-11-2015, 05:40 PM

And Cohen hasn't been as good as Laval was.

2002 - 44-22 (19-10) NCAA Regional
2003 - 45-22-1 (20-9-1) College World Series
2004 - 46-19 (18-12) College World Series
2005 - 40-22 (18-12) NCAA Regional
2006 - 35-24 (13-17) Hoover, no NCAA, SEE YA

CadaverDawg
05-11-2015, 05:40 PM

Lsu has gotten rid of this mentality some if you ask me. I think the only thing keeping lsu from competing for football titles now is holding onto miles

Interesting point. And one I agree with, especially in baseball in regards to us.

Todd4State
05-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Gonna be kinda hard if he isn't drafted.

Robson has elite level speed and is a really good defensive player who can hit for average and is able to bunt for hits. Someone is going to draft that. You're seeing more and more teams use players like that- see Billy Hamilton, Brett Gardner, and Dee Gordon. I know the Cardinals have a guy in the minors named Charlie Tilson that's going to be like that as well and be really good.

msstate7
05-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Interesting point. And one I agree with, especially in baseball in regards to us.

Lsu fired a guy that was 88-60-1 with 2 cws appearances for a 35-24 (13-17) record.

Our coach is 87-117 in the sec with a cws appearance. Most state fans think that guys calling for Cohen's head after a 24-27 (8-19 with most likely no sec tourney) are lunatics. Lsu fans may be crazy like a fox.

Again, I'm for Cohen to get next year, but people need to lay off the fire Cohen crowd. Cohen's put himself in this position, not his critics

Todd4State
05-11-2015, 05:55 PM

LSU fans never accepted Smoke from the get go. He was Skip's chosen successor. They just needed any excuse to get rid of him.

I actually think that we are more demanding than LSU fans to be honest. Our problem is we have fans that are more worried about trivial things like the coach cussing, whether we bunt too much, whether the LFL is going to be the same or not, against a new stadium because they want to keep their lifetime seats, etc.

I don't know any LSU fans that were against Alex Box being torn down.

ALL of this started when we brought Polk back- and again that was because of our fans wanting to try to keep things the same rather than move forward. We hire Paul Manieri instead, I would image the last fifteen years for us is quite different.

Smitty
05-11-2015, 05:56 PM
Robson has elite level speed and is a really good defensive player who can hit for average and is able to bunt for hits. Someone is going to draft that. You're seeing more and more teams use players like that- see Billy Hamilton, Brett Gardner, and Dee Gordon. I know the Cardinals have a guy in the minors named Charlie Tilson that's going to be like that as well and be really good.

Brett Gardner hit 17 HR last year

Todd4State
05-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Brett Gardner hit 17 HR last year

Yeah? And that was the only year he ever cracked over ten. In a stadium with the shortest RF porch in America.

confucius say
05-11-2015, 06:11 PM
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_Laval

http://s21.postimg.org/csrj7hr53/image.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

So you are agreeing with me? I see no natty appearance there, which is what I said Cohen did.

But more to the point, laval followed the most successful coach in sec history. He was canned for not being skip bertman. The program got worse under him. Anything short of a natty and he was gone. Every Lsu fan will tell you that. Our program has gotten better under Cohen. Context matters.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-11-2015, 06:15 PM

Could it bc they've gotten more. They've earned those expectations. The last 25yrs they've been in the tourney 22 times, they've won 9 SEC championships, 10 conference tournaments, 13 college World Series appearances & 6 championships. That's not a mindset that's production.

confucius say
05-11-2015, 06:15 PM
And Cohen hasn't been as good as Laval was.

2002 - 44-22 (19-10) NCAA Regional
2003 - 45-22-1 (20-9-1) College World Series
2004 - 46-19 (18-12) College World Series
2005 - 40-22 (18-12) NCAA Regional
2006 - 35-24 (13-17) Hoover, no NCAA, SEE YA

Wrong. Smoke took over the best program in the country and it got worse under his watch. Cohen took over one of, if not the, worse program in the league and had it in a super in three years and a natty in 5. Context matters.

Eta: if Cohen took over the same thing smoke did from skip, And posted the same seven years he has actually posted, I would def say fire him.

BankerDog
05-11-2015, 06:31 PM
LSU fans pack out their stadium every weekend. We don't except for maybe two weekends a year. But we like to brag about the fan support, yet we only see it two weekends out if the year.

BankerDog
05-11-2015, 06:33 PM
Back to the recruiting, I know this sounds Croomism. But we need to get down in the DR, Cuba, and Miami to pick up some players. The guys down there can absolutely hit and have been raised to play baseball.

turkish
05-11-2015, 06:43 PM
I heard LSU fans complaining about the new stadium as recently as a month ago.

ETA: in response to Todd's earlier post.

maroonmania
05-11-2015, 06:47 PM
LSU fans pack out their stadium every weekend. We don't except for maybe two weekends a year. But we like to brag about the fan support, yet we only see it two weekends out if the year.

Well a.) they likely don't have the lifetime seaters that have tickets yet hardly ever show and b.) they have a much better product to watch consistently. If we had a Top 15 team every year there is no telling how many folks would be at the Dude regularly for home SEC weekends. Killing the DHs also hurt because so many of our fans would travel from way off to spend all day at the ball park. Baton Rouge has way more local folks.

MabenMaroon
05-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Back to the recruiting, I know this sounds Croomism. But we need to get down in the DR, Cuba, and Miami to pick up some players. The guys down there can absolutely hit and have been raised to play baseball.

Venezuela! Can you say Jose Altuve, Miguel Cabrerra that list goes on and on ....

msstate7
05-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Venezuela! Can you say Jose Altuve, Miguel Cabrerra that list goes on and on ....

Curacao... Home of the best defensive cf (andruw jones) and the best defensive SS (andrelton Simmons).

Ifyouonlyknew
05-11-2015, 07:22 PM
Those kids aren't trying to go to college hell most don't finish HS. They're trying to get to the show bc they need that money to get their family out of poverty. Most can't even speak English but they're going to do well in college for 3yrs?

msstate7
05-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Those kids aren't trying to go to college hell most don't finish HS. They're trying to get to the show bc they need that money to get their family out of poverty. Most can't even speak English but they're going to do well in college for 3yrs?

Jerrell powe made it**

I don't think we can come close to get the really good ones there, but the best of the rest is probably just as good or better than here. Not all Latin players don't graduate HS

Really Clark?
05-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Wrong. Smoke took over the best program in the country and it got worse under his watch. Cohen took over one of, if not the, worse program in the league and had it in a super in three years and a natty in 5. Context matters.

Eta: if Cohen took over the same thing smoke did from skip, And posted the same seven years he has actually posted, I would def say fire him.

I agree that with Smoke, context really matters. This is what he followed from Bertman's last 6 years: 3 national titles (including the year before he retired), another CWS appearance (in which So Cal had to beat them twice to play in the championship game) where they were one game away from a fourth championship appearance and two super regional appearances. That's a big difference. If I remember correctly there were significant grumblings all through his 4th season after they had back to back CWS appearances in which they didn't win a game. The last year was well known to be a make or break year for him before the season started.

Smitty
05-11-2015, 08:32 PM
Yeah? And that was the only year he ever cracked over ten. In a stadium with the shortest RF porch in America.

8 HR at home
9 HR on the road

Homedawg
05-11-2015, 10:18 PM
8 HR at home
9 HR on the road

Mike trout.

Todd4State
05-11-2015, 10:25 PM
If we want to go after international players, the best options right now are Puerto Rico and Canada for reasons that Dan Mullen stated. We have to GET them into college. Cuba is a LONG way from being settled and MLB doesn't know what is going to happen with baseball players going forward at this point- much less getting them into college baseball. The Dominican is a third world country. There is a reason why those players sign at 16. Venezuela isn't much better than the Dominican.

That said, Japan might be an interesting option.

Todd4State
05-11-2015, 10:26 PM
I heard LSU fans complaining about the new stadium as recently as a month ago.

ETA: in response to Todd's earlier post.

I guess you can't please everybody.

Todd4State
05-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Well a.) they likely don't have the lifetime seaters that have tickets yet hardly ever show and b.) they have a much better product to watch consistently. If we had a Top 15 team every year there is no telling how many folks would be at the Dude regularly for home SEC weekends. Killing the DHs also hurt because so many of our fans would travel from way off to spend all day at the ball park. Baton Rouge has way more local folks.

The Lifetime seaters stopped coming long before Cohen. If I were Scott, I would try to petition the SEC to see if we could get DH's back as part of "our tradition". Basically play Friday and then DH on Saturday. Our fans are not going to choose MSU baseball over church on Sunday or Weds.

dawgoneyall
05-11-2015, 10:40 PM
You think doing away with the LFL is trivial?

Just damn....

Todd4State
05-11-2015, 10:52 PM
You think doing away with the LFL is trivial?

Just damn....

I didn't say anything about doing away with it. I said it's trivial to worry about how it is going to be changed and not support the program over that fear.

fader2103
05-12-2015, 07:28 PM

Kids today are amazing. I played winter ball down in Venezuela, they had kids half his age, every one of them speaking Spanish. That's a hard language.