PDA

View Full Version : Basketball OOC released

Coach34
07-03-2013, 12:39 PM
http://m.hailstate.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=208575961&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=16800

Nov. 8- Prarie View
Nov. 14- Kennesaw State
Nov. 19- Mississippi Valley State
Nov. 23- @ Utah State
Nov. 27- Jackson State
Dec. 1- Loyola
Dec. 5- TCU
Dec. 13- Southeastern Louisiana (Tupelo)
Dec. 17- Florida A&M
Dec. 19- Florida Gulf Coast
Dec. 22- South Florida (Las Vegas Classic)
Dec. 23- UNLV or Santa Clara
Jan. 2- Maryland Eastern-Shore

Coach34
07-03-2013, 12:40 PM
looks like we should get 10 wins OOC

Rick Danko
07-03-2013, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE=Coach34;26090]http://m.hailstate.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=208575961&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=16800

Nov. 8- Prarie View-W
Nov. 14- Kennesaw State-W
Nov. 19- Mississippi Valley State-W
Nov. 23- @ Utah State-L
Nov. 27- Jackson State-W
Dec. 1- Loyola-L
Dec. 5- TCU-L
Dec. 13- Southeastern Louisiana (Tupelo)-W
Dec. 17- Florida A&M-W
Dec. 19- Florida Gulf Coast-W
Dec. 22- South Florida (Las Vegas Classic)-W
Dec. 23- UNLV or Santa Clara -L
Jan. 2- Maryland Eastern-Shore-W

Something like this??? Total guess on my part without even taking the time to look at information on these opponents.

Coach34
07-03-2013, 12:45 PM
FlaGulf Coast was in the Sweet 16 last year and returns alot- likely loss

But I see us beating Loyola and probably TCU...Utah St will be tough on the road

FreeBoosie
07-03-2013, 01:34 PM
I have never seen such a dramatic attempt to save a coach's job. Pretty sneaky Scott.

Coach34
07-03-2013, 01:38 PM
I have never seen such a dramatic attempt to save a coach's job. Pretty sneaky Scott.

apparently you have forgotten about Stands' 2005-2006 OOC:

Chattanooga
Ark State
Charlotte
NW State
SE La
UNO
Santa Clara
Troy
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Akron
Holy Cross
George Mason

FlabLoser
07-03-2013, 01:40 PM
http://m.hailstate.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=208575961&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=16800

Nov. 8- Prarie View
Nov. 14- Kennesaw State
Nov. 19- Mississippi Valley State
Nov. 23- @ Utah State
Nov. 27- Jackson State
Dec. 1- Loyola
Dec. 5- TCU
Dec. 13- Southeastern Louisiana (Tupelo)
Dec. 17- Florida A&M
Dec. 19- Florida Gulf Coast
Dec. 22- South Florida (Las Vegas Classic)
Dec. 23- UNLV or Santa Clara
Jan. 2- Maryland Eastern-Shore

I like it. We're rebuilding. We need a bunch of fluff. Also like a few challenging ones in there to keep it real.

Now if we had a strong team and wanted to make a good run this year, I'd want to see a more RPI-worthy schedule.

FreeBoosie
07-03-2013, 01:48 PM
apparently you have forgotten about Stands' 2005-2006 OOC:

Chattanooga
Ark State
Charlotte
NW State
SE La
UNO
Santa Clara
Troy
Jacksonville State
Liberty
Akron
Holy Cross
George Mason

Rick #1 was already an established coach in the league at that point. If I remember correctly that was a rough year, but not enough to hurt his status. This year I would have liked to see a little tougher schedule with some good mid majors maybe even a power conference team. It certainly looks better losing to a Xavier or Butler than losing to Jackson State.

FreeBoosie
07-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Jacksonville State*

Hump4Hoops
07-03-2013, 01:56 PM

Do you feel that Ray is at all on the hot seat? I certainly don't.

Raytoraid83
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
No but a season anywhere close to last years he will be. Soft conference schedule allows him to pad the wins and the casual fan sees win total go up and thinks hes turning the program around when in reality it could mean nothing with this soft of a schedule.

Coach34
07-03-2013, 02:14 PM
Rick #1 was already an established coach in the league at that point. If I remember correctly that was a rough year, but not enough to hurt his status. This year I would have liked to see a little tougher schedule with some good mid majors maybe even a power conference team. It certainly looks better losing to a Xavier or Butler than losing to Jackson State.

My thinking is the exact opposite

An established coach shouldnt have to resort to this kind of schedule like we did in 2006

A coach that is rebuilding and changing the culture of the program with a team that is primarily Soph's and Freshmen should get a confidence building schedule to help the young guys get confidence

I'm a big proponent of good scheduling in basketball and baseball- and hope this wont be the norm- and I have absolute faith that it wont be. But it is necessary for 2013-2014

Coach34
07-03-2013, 02:15 PM
No but a season anywhere close to last years he will be. Soft conference schedule allows him to pad the wins and the casual fan sees win total go up and thinks hes turning the program around when in reality it could mean nothing with this soft of a schedule.

Which was the Standsbury model for years and years...our OOC SOS was almost always terrible under Stands

Raytoraid83
07-03-2013, 02:18 PM
In 05/06 we were starting a pg who's shorts were taller than he was and two years off a conference championship. Stansbury hadn't started to lose control yet

Coach34
07-03-2013, 02:32 PM
Stands 2nd season OOC

N. 21 ALABAMA A&M 89-67 W
N. 23 ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF 107-67 W
N. 26 Valparaiso# 59-68 L
N. 27 Rutgers# 69-74 L
N. 28 Northwestern# 70-65 W
D. 1 SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA 70-56 W
D. 4 WESTERN KENTUCKY 81-69 W
D. 7 SOUTH CAROLINA STATE 88-58 W
D. 11 CENTENARY 98-76 W
D. 21 Stanford@ 56-76 L
D. 29 Idaho% 86-81 W
D. 30 at Montana State% 70-74 L

2 Tourney teams- Valpo and Stanford...Northwestern went 5-25 that season...Rutgers hasnt made the NCAA Tourney since 1991

Todd4State
07-03-2013, 02:34 PM
And as far as baseball, we are playing at Arizona next year.

Coach34
07-03-2013, 02:34 PM
In 05/06 we were starting a pg who's shorts were taller than he was and two years off a conference championship. Stansbury hadn't started to lose control yet

I agree- we should have backed off the schedule a little- we lost all 5 starters from the year before. But not to that extent. Just like Stands was responsible for bringing home an SEC title- he was responsible for having a munchkin playing PG

Coach34
07-03-2013, 02:35 PM
And as far as baseball, we are playing at Arizona next year.

great step...thats a good move. Our baseball program is ready to have a national schedule every year.

FreeBoosie
07-03-2013, 02:40 PM
I was just hoping for some more big names. I do understand the thought process behind this schedule. Win 9-11 games OOC, then try to go .500 in conference play to lock up an NIT bid, and continue to build from that. Not angry with this schedule, I was just hoping for a little more. But as always #HailRickRay

fishwater99
07-03-2013, 02:45 PM
No Jackson, MS game this year?

FreeBoosie
07-03-2013, 02:47 PM
After a little deep thought and self meditation, I have come to the realization that our program is not in the kind of state where it can demand big names. We have to take what we can get, even if it is 2-26 Maryland Eastern Shore.

Spider-Man
07-03-2013, 02:59 PM
I expect 8-1 for the 9 home games.

Homedawg
07-03-2013, 03:29 PM
How? I'm not a Rick Ray lover, not am I a hater. However, how can a guy Be on the hot seat no matter our record, considering the bag of shit he inherited? Our roster was a disaster and he was way way behind in recruiting for the 13 class which made it dang near impossible. Now we need to start showin improvement at some point in the next couple of seasons but the hot seat remark is laughable at best.

maroonmania
07-03-2013, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=Coach34;26090]http://m.hailstate.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=208575961&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=16800

Nov. 8- Prarie View-W
Nov. 14- Kennesaw State-W
Nov. 19- Mississippi Valley State-W
Nov. 23- @ Utah State-L
Nov. 27- Jackson State-W
Dec. 1- Loyola-L
Dec. 5- TCU-L
Dec. 13- Southeastern Louisiana (Tupelo)-W
Dec. 17- Florida A&M-W
Dec. 19- Florida Gulf Coast-W
Dec. 22- South Florida (Las Vegas Classic)-W
Dec. 23- UNLV or Santa Clara -L
Jan. 2- Maryland Eastern-Shore-W

Something like this??? Total guess on my part without even taking the time to look at information on these opponents.

IMO we should have at minimum 9 wins out of that group. The question mark games to me would be @Utah State, FL Gulf Coast (not sure exactly what all they bring back), USF in LV, and UNLV/SC in Las Vegas. I think we should beat Loyola and TCU both in Starkville. TCU was the worst team in the Big 12 last year.

Raytoraid83
07-03-2013, 05:49 PM

How? I'm not a Rick Ray lover, not am I a hater. However, how can a guy Be on the hot seat no matter our record, considering the bag of shit he inherited? Our roster was a disaster and he was way way behind in recruiting for the 13 class which made it dang near impossible. Now we need to start showin improvement at some point in the next couple of seasons but the hot seat remark is laughable at best.

We won 10 games last year..... If he comes anywhere close to that with this schedule and how pathetic the SEC and he's not on the hot seat Stricklin should be on the hot seat. Not a Rick Ray hater but I'm not gonna suck him off when all he's done is get us to hustle so far.

Coach34
07-03-2013, 05:54 PM
We won 10 games last year..... If he comes anywhere close to that with this schedule and how pathetic the SEC and he's not on the hot seat Stricklin should be on the hot seat. Not a Rick Ray hater but I'm not gonna suck him off when all he's done is get us to hustle so far.

they overachieved to get those wins with what he had left

What you gonna say when he wins 17-18 games in this year?

Raytoraid83
07-03-2013, 06:23 PM
they overachieved to get those wins with what he had left

What you gonna say when he wins 17-18 games in this year?

Ill say he did a good job

Todd4State
07-03-2013, 06:36 PM
great step...thats a good move. Our baseball program is ready to have a national schedule every year.

I agree. We should play at least one big name PAC 12 or ACC team every year for one weekend series prior to SEC play. This is a good time to play Arizona as well- our SEC East schedule is Tennessee, Georgia, Vanderbilt, and Missouri. So, we go from the most difficult SEC schedule to possibly the easiest. I think LT is trying to Arkansas us after he saw how his schedule of death actually benefit us from a RPI standpoint. Problem for him is Cohen isn't dumb enough to schedule Valley four times and New Orleans for a weekend series which is pretty much what Arkansas did.

Homedawg
07-03-2013, 07:25 PM

He should have gotten coach of the year for winning ten with that group. We should have gone 0-16 on the sec. He managed to win 3. I'm not asking u to suck him off as you put it. But crap the guys he inherited were , um... Not good. He basically has no additions that are worthwhile and that's not his fault. He realistic. I'm not sayin the guy is John Cohen. He won't ever match that success. But we had stupid people wanting him and morsel butch fired after two years. Hell some this year were ready to jumP. be patient and give him a shot. Maybe he fails. I don't know. But he can't be judged by his first two years.

ScoobaDawg
07-03-2013, 11:01 PM
No way Ray will be fired after this season unless he just doesn't win a game at all. The mess he inherited he is fixing. Am I sold on him completely as being the right fit? Not really but he earned some praise (as he is getting here for how he had those guys playing last year.

Coach34
07-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Ray is going to get at least 4 years unless we literally keep winning 10 games a season...and obviously that is not going to happen

Homedawg
07-03-2013, 11:14 PM
I agree. We should play at least one big name PAC 12 or ACC team every year for one weekend series prior to SEC play. This is a good time to play Arizona as well- our SEC East schedule is Tennessee, Georgia, Vanderbilt, and Missouri. So, we go from the most difficult SEC schedule to possibly the easiest. I think LT is trying to Arkansas us after he saw how his schedule of death actually benefit us from a RPI standpoint. Problem for him is Cohen isn't dumb enough to schedule Valley four times and New Orleans for a weekend series which is pretty much what Arkansas did.

Come on Todd. I'm not an LT guy but some of you guys act like he runs the damn league. Really???

Coach34
07-03-2013, 11:24 PM
Come on Todd. I'm not an LT guy but some of you guys act like he runs the damn league. Really???

You do know that he is in charge of scheduling correct? And you realize league AD's lobby and raise hell to get the best schedule for their team?

theloungeinleft
07-03-2013, 11:26 PM

I'm not surprised. The Coliseum sucks, and in the past few years, the games and atmosphere there have been what you would expect...shitty.

Todd4State
07-03-2013, 11:48 PM

He does scheduling. And he does not want to see Cohen succeed. He is a Polk loyalist all the way. If it weren't for Byrne, we would be ending the Tommy Raffo era instead of celebrating the CWS appearance.

Homedawg
07-04-2013, 09:57 AM
He does scheduling. And he does not want to see Cohen succeed. He is a Polk loyalist all the way. If it weren't for Byrne, we would be ending the Tommy Raffo era instead of celebrating the CWS appearance.

He helps with scheduling. It's not like he gets a pen and a sheet of paper and draws this crap up. For someone who never did anything right in most eyes y'all sure do give him a lot of credit for beig a genius in sticking it to us. Again, I'm not on LT's wagon. Bu this conspiracy stuff is way way overboard. As for Raffo being coach? We will never know.

maroonmania
07-04-2013, 10:28 AM
As for Raffo being coach? We will never know.

I think I have a pretty good idea. I like Raffo and he was a great player for us but I think one of the reasons Polk liked him so much and wanted to name him coach is that he coached with the same type of laid back attitude that Polk had. If that is what we had ended up with I believe the program would have remained stagnant. Also, sorry, but while Raffo was our lead recruiter under Polk I didn't see ANYTHING out of him to try and force Polk into changing the way the recruiting and player evaluation was being done. Polk's camp method just wasn't going to cut it anymore. Everything Raffo learned about college coaching he learned under Polk. That was the big advantage Cohen had was that he was under and around a number of very good coaches and got to see a number of different styles and was able to bring that knowledge with him to Starkville.

Homedawg
07-04-2013, 11:43 AM
You do know that he is in charge of scheduling correct? And you realize league AD's lobby and raise hell to get the best schedule for their team?
Being "in charge" of scheduling and setting ever schedule are two totally different things. If u think he just turns the schedules in as he pleases and that's the way it is well....u r incorrect. Also, one second he's bitching lt ****ed us because he made our schedule too hard. Next second he fickig us because he's making our rpi too weak. Bottom line is most people on here are giving LT way more power than he really has in the league office.

Homedawg
07-04-2013, 11:45 AM
I think I have a pretty good idea. I like Raffo and he was a great player for us but I think one of the reasons Polk liked him so much and wanted to name him coach is that he coached with the same type of laid back attitude that Polk had. If that is what we had ended up with I believe the program would have remained stagnant. Also, sorry, but while Raffo was our lead recruiter under Polk I didn't see ANYTHING out of him to try and force Polk into changing the way the recruiting and player evaluation was being done. Polk's camp method just wasn't going to cut it anymore. Everything Raffo learned about college coaching he learned under Polk. That was the big advantage Cohen had was that he was under and around a number of very good coaches and got to see a number of different styles and was able to bring that knowledge with him to Starkville.
I was saying I don't know of lt would have hired Raffo. And it really doesn't matter. Greg did the hirin and hired the right guy. Actually, 75% of what Raffo learned, he learned from Mac. As for the recruitig part- id agree w that 100%. He didn't do a good job. Period

coastdoglover
07-04-2013, 07:01 PM
We were afraid of Belhaven and Milsaps.

Todd4State
07-04-2013, 07:27 PM
He helps with scheduling. It's not like he gets a pen and a sheet of paper and draws this crap up. For someone who never did anything right in most eyes y'all sure do give him a lot of credit for beig a genius in sticking it to us. Again, I'm not on LT's wagon. Bu this conspiracy stuff is way way overboard. As for Raffo being coach? We will never know.

Yeah I'm sure it's just a coincidence that:

In football Scott was told we were going to play Vanderbilt in football this year, and as soon as we commit to the Oklahoma State game, all of a sudden we are playing South Carolina.

We had the absolute most difficult baseball schedule in the SEC.

Now that he sees how Arkansas got messed over by their RPI (their fault) we now all of a sudden have the easiest SEC schedule next year in baseball.

Raffo has had three losing seasons in five years at Arkansas State. Including this year with a team built with his own recruits. When he was hired by Arkansas State, he made zero changes to their staff, which tells me we would have kept pretty much everyone and promoted Wade Hedges to hitting coach. He is simply an average coach. I wasn't impressed with him either as a hitting coach or as a recruiter.

sleepy dawg
07-04-2013, 10:57 PM
I'm excited about the Utah State game. I take every opportunity to watch a game at their place. They have the coolest student section I've seen in basketball. I wish we could get a fraction of the student participation they have.

Homedawg
07-04-2013, 11:44 PM

In football Scott was told we were going to play Vanderbilt in football this year, and as soon as we commit to the Oklahoma State game, all of a sudden we are playing South Carolina.

Now that he sees how Arkansas got messed over by their RPI (their fault) we now all of a sudden have the easiest SEC schedule next year in baseball.

Raffo has had three losing seasons in five years at Arkansas State. Including this year with a team built with his own recruits. When he was hired by Arkansas State, he made zero changes to their staff, which tells me we would have kept pretty much everyone and promoted Wade Hedges to hitting coach. He is simply an average coach. I wasn't impressed with him either as a hitting coach or as a recruiter.

How about this, we didn't play three three teams from the east last year. This year we do. Complicated??? Or conspiracy? Stop over thinking and let it set in. Either we fired the most brilliant ad and the sec swooped up his genius and used him to screw us in scheduling, or we play the three teams we didn't last year.This isn't football its not as much maneuvering.

Homedawg
07-04-2013, 11:48 PM

As far as the Raffo stuff, I don't know how that ever even came up in the argument. I never said he was a great coach, nor a poor one.fact is because you can't win at ark st doesn't make you a poor coach. (And I've said it 1000 times we hired the right guy, Cohen.)I said he learned more from Mac than anyone after someone else made a post. So I'm confused why u keep bringing Raffo stuff up in my quotes. Re-read the entire thread and tell me?!

mparkerfd20
07-05-2013, 11:16 AM

He's not, but another year of craptastic basketball and he SHOULD be, but probably still wouldn't be.

maroonmania
07-05-2013, 11:41 AM
How about this, we didn't play three three teams from the east last year. This year we do. Complicated??? Or conspiracy? Stop over thinking and let it set in. Either we fired the most brilliant ad and the sec swooped up his genius and used him to screw us in scheduling, or we play the three teams we didn't last year.This isn't football its not as much maneuvering.

Believe you are confused on something. We played 2 East teams last year (TN, KY) and will play 2 East teams this year (SC, KY). We will continue to play 2 East teams every year as long as the league stays at 8 games.

SaltyDawg
07-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Believe you are confused on something. We played 2 East teams last year (TN, KY) and will play 2 East teams this year (SC, KY). We will continue to play 2 East teams every year as long as the league stays at 8 games.

Pretty sure homedawg was talking about baseball.

Spider-Man
07-05-2013, 12:26 PM
What the hell are we talking about baseball scheduling in a basketball non-con topic for anyway? Go back and look at the RPI's and records for these teams from last season. This schedule is sad.

Coach34
07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
What the hell are we talking about baseball scheduling in a basketball non-con topic for anyway? Go back and look at the RPI's and records for these teams from last season. This schedule is sad.

You know as well as I do RPI's from one year to the next doesnt correlate- take the Miss State 2012 RPI and our 2013 RPI for example

How is this schedule sad? It's a schedule to get a young team that is primarily Soph's and Freshmen some confidence and experience before SEC play starts. That's the goal and I think this schedule has achieved that.

Todd4State
07-05-2013, 01:17 PM

Or coincidence? LT is NOT our friend.

Examples while LT was still with us:

1. Voting against cowbells.

2. Wanting to do away with the LFL.

3. Not wanting to do The Junction unless the AD got over 90% of the profit from it.

Todd4State
07-05-2013, 01:26 PM
As far as the Raffo stuff, I don't know how that ever even came up in the argument. I never said he was a great coach, nor a poor one.fact is because you can't win at ark st doesn't make you a poor coach. (And I've said it 1000 times we hired the right guy, Cohen.)I said he learned more from Mac than anyone after someone else made a post. So I'm confused why u keep bringing Raffo stuff up in my quotes. Re-read the entire thread and tell me?!

Because I said that if LT was still our AD, we would be firing Raffo right now to illustrate that he doesn't have our best interests at heart.

And how do I know that? Because I know how he hires and I knew that he hates doing a coaching search. How do I know Raffo wouldn't be a good coach? Because I have actually talked to Raffo, been around baseball for around 30 years now and analyzed successful vs. non-successful coaches and their character traits, and I know that Ron Polk would have been the one really running the show so it didn't matter if Raffo was the next Skip Bertman anyway.

Polk has literally ruined Brian Shoop's UAB program single handedly.

Arkansas State is a tough place to win, but it's doable. Recruit Memphis, Arkansas, and St. Louis- ALL within 250 miles of Jonesboro and all have good players. He's in a good conference as far as baseball so he doesn't have to win the conference tourney every year to go to a regional. He hasn't done squat.

Spider-Man
07-05-2013, 04:43 PM
You know as well as I do RPI's from one year to the next doesnt correlate- take the Miss State 2012 RPI and our 2013 RPI for example

How is this schedule sad? It's a schedule to get a young team that is primarily Soph's and Freshmen some confidence and experience before SEC play starts. That's the goal and I think this schedule has achieved that.
The schedule definitely achieves the goal of building confidence. Two of the teams on the upcoming schedule combined to win 5 games in 2012-13. I expect to see somewhat tougher opponents in the future.

Dog316
07-06-2013, 08:45 AM

Nobody came last year! We lost money playing in Jackson. Who would have ever believed it?

JOHNHEVESYMADE
07-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Does anybody know the drug testing policy for Mississippi State? I know this past year a new policy was implemented, and I am confident in saying the first failed drug test 3 game suspension, second failed half the season, third failed off the team. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure this is the new policy that is implemented for Mississippi State athletics. Can anyone confirm or deny?

CadaverDawg
07-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Does anybody know the drug testing policy for Mississippi State? I know this past year a new policy was implemented, and I am confident in saying the first failed drug test 3 game suspension, second failed half the season, third failed off the team. Correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure this is the new policy that is implemented for Mississippi State athletics. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Not to be mean, but why not start a new thread for this instead of bumping a 20 day old thread?

I'm sure about the policy though, to answer your question.