PDA

View Full Version : Yall gotta clue me in on all the Cohen "hate"....

TUSK
05-10-2015, 10:21 PM
I know (very) little about the baseball... but I know that you cats are struggling this year....

But 2 years removed from yall's most successful season ever...?

Is it a (Bammer-Football-Dubose-type thing?

War Machine Dawg
05-10-2015, 10:33 PM
Speaking for myself only, I don't hate Cohen. I just think he meddles too much and we won't maximize our potential under him. He's recruited a bunch of soft, untalented players who have no fight in them. Plus he has a need to prove he's the smartest guy in baseball so he does ridiculously quirky and unorthodox things that just don't work. Examples:

We went 82 straight games with a different lineup.
We're using our fastest player, a midget slap hitter, in the 4 hole behind our slowest player. We basically negate his greatest asset, which is his speed.
We routinely fail to get more than 1 good to great year out of high ceiling prospects, particularly pitchers. Basically, we get an outstanding JR season then they leave.
We have failed to recruit power arms, preferring pitchers who rely on movement and contact.
We routinely make pitching changes in the middle of ABs, i.e. count is 1-1.....time for a pitching change!

Basically, we've become a clown show trying to outsmart the competition and it's backfired on us. We became known for being "unconventional" during our CWS run and went too far with it. We have to get back to basics and improve our talent level. I'm sure there are some who hate Cohen given the Polk situation, but I'm guessing they are a very small group. I just want to win. If Cohen can do it, I'd be thrilled. If he can't, he needs to go. It's just that simple for me. I'm loyal to the program, not the coach.

Coach34
05-10-2015, 10:40 PM
He wasnt the guy that Polk wanted to replace him- so about 25% of our fanbase wont ever like him because of that
He cusses alot and is very confrontational- which turns off another 15%
He's very unconventional and bunts alot- which turns off another 10%

Fanbase is 50/50 on him in spite of him leading us to the best season we have ever had

TUSK
05-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Speaking for myself only, I don't hate Cohen. I just think he meddles too much and we won't maximize our potential under him. He's recruited a bunch of soft, untalented players who have no fight in them. Plus he has a need to prove he's the smartest guy in baseball so he does ridiculously quirky and unorthodox things that just don't work. Examples:

We're using our fastest player, a midget slap hitter, in the 4 hole behind our slowest player. We basically negate his greatest asset, which is his speed.
We routinely fail to get more than 1 good to great year out of high ceiling prospects, particularly pitchers. Basically, we get an outstanding JR season then they leave.
We have failed to recruit power arms, preferring pitchers who rely on movement and contact.
We routinely make pitching changes in the middle of ABs, i.e. count is 1-1.....time for a pitching change!

Basically, we've become a clown show trying to outsmart the competition and it's backfired on us. We became known for being "unconventional" during our CWS run and went too far with it. We have to get back to basics and improve our talent level. I'm sure there are some who hate Cohen given the Polk situation, but I'm guessing they are a very small group. I just want to win. If Cohen can do it, I'd be thrilled. If he can't, he needs to go. It's just that simple for me. I'm loyal to the program, not the coach.

I don't understand half of that, WMD... but I appreciate you casting pearls before this swine....

data shows this year's team has "fallen off the cliff"... but Cohen's SEC win % the last several years is similar to MSU's last 25 years...

Is it just pissin' away talent? ( I DO NOT understand baseball very well)...

War Machine Dawg
05-10-2015, 11:05 PM
I don't understand half of that, WMD... but I appreciate you casting pearls before this swine....

data shows this year's team has "fallen off the cliff"... but Cohen's SEC win % the last several years is similar to MSU's last 25 years...

Some of it is, some of it isn't. For example, I don't expect a kid like Seth Heck to be a doubles machine or a world beater. He's decent, but certainly not the type of player we should be relying on. Then there is a kid like Jacob Robson (the cleanup hitter): Big time talent, but he didn't produce at a high level until his JR season (this year). For whatever reason, we failed to develop him quickly enough for him to be an impact player as a Sophomore. The third group is represented by Wes Rea: Talented but hasn't nearly reached his potential. He leads us in most hitting categories, but hasn't developed his power stroke at all. We started out by having him crowd the plate and handcuffing himself on the inside fastball. We've backed him off the plate some, but he still is mostly an opposite field doubles and singles hitter. He's only got 5 HRs this season when he should be in double digits. We know the power is there, because we've seen him hit some absolute moonshots during his career, most notably in our Super Regional against Virginia.

Outside of that, it's all rumor and speculation as to the problems. While we've recruited more "talent" on paper, it hasn't translated to the field. And a large part of that is mental. These guys just aren't mentally tough and have no fight in them. There's no leadership from the players themselves, either. We have talk of skipped workouts by team captains with no repercussions. Players faking injury to avoid practice. No one really knows, but there's a whole lot of smoke around this team right now. I think it all started with the current group of Seniors who got the big head following the CWS run.

I'd also say part of the problem is Cohen's inability to find a happy medium with his coaching style. When he first arrived, he earned the nickname The Intense Bastard amongst a portion of our fan base. As C34 alluded to, he was a hardass who demanded you give maximum effort and wasn't afraid to cuss your ass in the dugout if he thought you weren't. During our CWS run, the players asked to be allowed to have "kept" facial hair and for a little freedom in the dugout. Since we were winning, no one minded it. We had some characters, but we also had some serious player leadership that wasn't afraid to grab a guy by the balls and get in his grill if he wasn't doing his job. We no longer have anyone to do that. After that team, Cohen continued to allow all the dugout antics, facial hair, etc. He basically mellowed too much and stopped being the hardass who got the job in the first place. He needs to return to being The Intense Bastard, kill the dugout antics, but allow the kept facial hair. To me, that's the perfect balance for who he is.

War Machine Dawg
05-10-2015, 11:08 PM

I should also ask, which half specifically did you not understand? I'd definitely be willing to elaborate further to help clarify. If it was the part about lineups, pitching change tactics, etc.

Dawg61
05-10-2015, 11:15 PM

Simply put Cohen coaches pus$y baseball. He relies on walks, hit by pitches, errors/pastballs and bunting to score runs. That is the most pus$y way of playing baseball. People that played a good bit of baseball realized that this year. We don't want to play that style of baseball. Nobody does. We want big powerful great damage hitters not slap it to 2nd base type players. We also want big powerful pitchers that throw gas and can pitch a full game. Not the Ross Mitchell types. It's going to be impossible for Cohen to stock his roster completely all over with power in only one year so it's looking like next year is Cohen's last year so the divorce is already happening for a bunch on here.

maroonmania
05-10-2015, 11:32 PM
Simply put Cohen coaches pus$y baseball. He relies on walks, hit by pitches, errors/pastballs and bunting to score runs. That is the most pus$y way of playing baseball. People that played a good bit of baseball realized that this year. We don't want to play that style of baseball. Nobody does. We want big powerful great damage hitters not slap it to 2nd base type players. We also want big powerful pitchers that throw gas and can pitch a full game. Not the Ross Mitchell types. It's going to be impossible for Cohen to stock his roster completely all over with power in only one year so it's looking like next year is Cohen's last year so the divorce is already happening for a bunch on here.

I'll agree that this is probably my biggest dislike of Cohen ball. Basically, one of the main tenets of Cohen's offense working well seems to be needing the other team to screw up through walks, hbp and errors. I hate that. We have trouble when we come up a against teams who throw strikes and make plays in the field.

bobcat91
05-11-2015, 01:43 AM
In a nutshell, we have a site filled with college drop outs who buy tee shirts at Walmart, frustrated single accountants, 50 year old farmers who live with their parents and failed softball jocks who think they know more than a National Coach of the Year. They only remember seeing beer league softball scores from a few years back and think that this is how college baseball is supposed to be: every game should be 19-15. Cohen does some unconventional things that pisses off the worshipers of the 600 foot shot and we are having a down year. They are the same 145 lb boy wonders that tried to run Mullen off a couple of years ago when we were struggling at 6-6 and still believe that we are the 5 time world champions from the Polk era, even though we never won a single championship. They have no idea that you can do anything on the field except hit 600 ft homers. They congregate to free sites like this in order to save their money for the one trip to the bar in a last chance bid to buy drinks and impress the 3 times divorced, 43 year old cougar with fleeting dreams of getting lucky.

Coach34
05-11-2015, 05:55 AM
We haven't won the SEC regular season championship since 1989. 26 years

#Top5Program

shoeless joe
05-11-2015, 06:48 AM
In a nutshell, we have a site filled with college drop outs who buy tee shirts at Walmart, frustrated single accountants, 50 year old farmers who live with their parents and failed softball jocks who think they know more than a National Coach of the Year. They only remember seeing beer league softball scores from a few years back and think that this is how college baseball is supposed to be: every game should be 19-15. Cohen does some unconventional things that pisses off the worshipers of the 600 foot shot and we are having a down year. They are the same 145 lb boy wonders that tried to run Mullen off a couple of years ago when we were struggling at 6-6 and still believe that we are the 5 time world champions from the Polk era, even though we never won a single championship. They have no idea that you can do anything on the field except hit 600 ft homers. They congregate to free sites like this in order to save their money for the one trip to the bar in a last chance bid to buy drinks and impress the 3 times divorced, 43 year old cougar with fleeting dreams of getting lucky.

100% correct

msstate7
05-11-2015, 06:54 AM

In your "expert" opinion, would you say this year is acceptable? BTW, this will most likely be Cohen's 3rd year out of 7 to get 10 wins or less in sec play. Granted I'm a lay person when it comes to coaching big time baseball, but I don't think that is very good.

Now I'm for giving Cohen another year, but we (fans) can't give another mulligan to Cohen. 3 mulligans in 7 years is quite generous

Oh yeah, if it's acceptable for Cohen to have an abomination of a season, why isn't it acceptable for our fans to flip out?

AROB44
05-11-2015, 07:03 AM

This is hilarious......but true.

Coach34
05-11-2015, 07:04 AM
In your "expert" opinion, would you say this year is acceptable? BTW, this will most likely be Cohen's 3rd year out of 7 to get 10 wins or less in sec play. Granted I'm a lay person when it comes to coaching big time baseball, but I don't think that is very good.

Now I'm for giving Cohen another year, but we (fans) can't give another mulligan to Cohen. 3 mulligans in 7 years is quite generous

It's actually one in 5- those first 2 were on Polk. We had no talent when Cohen arrived. Polk hadnt left the damn campus to recruit for his last couple of years. He should have been fired earlier for that

msstate7
05-11-2015, 07:07 AM
It's actually one in 5- those first 2 were on Polk. We had no talent when Cohen arrived. Polk hadnt left the damn campus to recruit for his last couple of years. He should have been fired earlier for that

Then we're 72-73 in sec play if you throw those 2 years out.

We're worse this year than polk's last year. Does Cohen get 2 more years to fix it again?

BeardoMSU
05-11-2015, 07:22 AM

Yikes...

Coach34
05-11-2015, 07:24 AM
Then we're 72-73 in sec play if you throw those 2 years out.

We're worse this year than polk's last year. Does Cohen get 2 more years to fix it again?

Nobody is excusing this season. Nobody is happy about it. But:

He had one of our best SEC regular seasons ever just last year
He played for the NC 2 years ago.

To act like he isnt doing a good job overall is retarded. We are having a down year- and we are all in agreement he needs to fix it and get us back in a regional next year.

I seen it dawg
05-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Typically people say "well he hasn't forgotten how to coach from 2 years ago.." Unfortunately for us he has. The shit that goes on is ****ing retarded. He better get over himself and remember how to coach baseball because he damn sure isn't doing it.

Those that keep harping on we were just in a NC and it's just a down year must be missing the game after game after game after game of lineup shit, strategy shit, pitching shit, no balls shit, no first base coach shit, terrible base running shit, dugout antic shit, beard shit, shirts inside out shit, mingione shit, no leadership shit, and on and on and on shit.

Dare I say it's becoming stansburyesque with all the defending someone that isn't coaching or handling the team for shit. (And don't even start with saying this statement was dragging him into it because it wasn't so don't go down the road)

Drugdog
05-11-2015, 07:50 AM
Typically people say "well he hasn't forgotten how to coach from 2 years ago.." Unfortunately for us he has. The shit that goes on is ****ing retarded. He better get over himself and remember how to coach baseball because he damn sure isn't doing it.

Those that keep harping on we were just in a NC and it's just a down year must be missing the game after game after game after game of lineup shit, strategy shit, pitching shit, no balls shit, no first base coach shit, terrible base running shit, dugout antic shit, beard shit, shirts inside out shit, mingione shit, no leadership shit, and on and on and on shit.

Dare I say it's becoming stansburyesque with all the defending someone that isn't coaching or handling the team for shit. (And don't even start with saying this statement was dragging him into it because it wasn't so don't go down the road)

^^^^^^^^^^^This is why we are pissed.^^^^^^^^^^^^

Johnson85
05-11-2015, 08:23 AM
Fanbase is 50/50 on him in spite of him leading us to the best season we have ever had

I call BS on this. Surely the fan base is more like 90-10 in favor of him (at least if you're talking about wanting him fired), even if basically everybody is pissed about this season. Maybe 30 to 40% think that we will ultimately need to go a different direction, even if most of those people recognize it woudl be crazy to talk about firing him this year.

Have no way to back this up, just hopeful our fan base is not that stupid.

Saltydog
05-11-2015, 08:32 AM
deserves at least one more year and reevaluate him then. Now, with that said he definitely needs to make a some changes. Even in our best year (2013) we didn't have great starting pitching so that's something that needs to be worked on. The rest of it is just over analyzation and over managing the game and processess. He just can't help himself. He won't settle on an everyday lineup and is just hard headed so he's his worst enemy a lof of the time. Oh yeah, he needs to hire a hitting coach.

CadaverDawg
05-11-2015, 08:48 AM
I call BS on this. Surely the fan base is more like 90-10 in favor of him (at least if you're talking about wanting him fired), even if basically everybody is pissed about this season. Maybe 30 to 40% think that we will ultimately need to go a different direction, even if most of those people recognize it woudl be crazy to talk about firing him this year.

Have no way to back this up, just hopeful our fan base is not that stupid.

You're correct. In fact, it's probably closer to 99% to 1%.

basedog
05-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Cohen is kinda like a restaurant owner, he has a so called 5 star chef, good waiters and so all is good. Then one day the 5 star chef starts to relax in the kitchen and the food starts to suffer. Waiters aren't getting the tips they are use to and start complaining to the owner who jumps the 5 star chef and they square off with customers listening as well the staff. Now the customers stop coming, Cohen fires everyone and starts over with a whole new staff because he wants to build a new restaurant, do the paying customers buy into it or is it to late?

So, do we build it and do they come and all is well?

dawgs
05-11-2015, 10:04 AM

This.

dawgs
05-11-2015, 10:12 AM
He wasnt the guy that Polk wanted to replace him- so about 25% of our fanbase wont ever like him because of that
He cusses alot and is very confrontational- which turns off another 15%
He's very unconventional and bunts alot- which turns off another 10%

I wouldn't say 25% of the fanbase hates him because of Polk. Almost everyone thought Polk acted like a bitch in that situation and thought Cohen was a much better hire than raffo because he'd shown high level HC success.

I'd also argue that 2013 wasn't our best season ever. We got hot and made it to the CWS finals, but the postseason can be a bit of a crapshoot. Our regular season was good, but not overwhelmingly dominant - only 16-14 in the sec. We did host a regional though. Basically it's the type of regular season we should expect regularly, winning cong record, position to host a regional. And when we deviate, it should more often than not be winning 20+ sec games and being a national seed than seasons like this (<10 sec Ws, no postseason).

tcdog70
05-11-2015, 10:14 AM
You have to admit that some of the crazy shit that has happened this year isn't His Fault. A runner falling down rounding third, Ross going to shit, Pitchers arms giving out, Highly recruited players going pro, Umpires squeezing the zone and some of the blame falls on the players just not nutting up and making a play. Part of His Mantra is to pound the strike zone but in numerous situations we refuse to throw strikes. Is that His fault or the Pitchers. Our pitchers Saturday could have underhanded the pitch and we would have won. This year I have seen hard hit balls by us turn into outs and nubbers by our opponents drop in. We have trouble running the bases,can't go from 1st to 3td without problems.

We all know JC can Coach at a high level, His track records tells us this. So we need to bite the bullet, say **** it for this year and move on..

dawgs
05-11-2015, 10:17 AM
Cohen is kinda like a restaurant owner, he has a so called 5 star chef, good waiters and so all is good. Then one day the 5 star chef starts to relax in the kitchen and the food starts to suffer. Waiters aren't getting the tips they are use to and start complaining to the owner who jumps the 5 star chef and they square off with customers listening as well the staff. Now the customers stop coming, Cohen fires everyone and starts over with a whole new staff because he wants to build a new restaurant, do the paying customers buy into it or is it to late?

So, do we build it and do they come and all is well?

The reason the place goes downhill is because the chef decides to do this unconventionally, he serves heaps of ice and brownies as entrees with a side of Brussel sprouts, small slivers of roasted duck for dessert, will only serve fanta to drink, etc. like he's figured out something no other chef knows.

dawgs
05-11-2015, 10:19 AM

Nice strawman because that's exactly what everyone whose bitched about this season and cohen's approach has said.

confucius say
05-11-2015, 10:27 AM

Oh yeah, if it's acceptable for Cohen to have an abomination of a season, why isn't it acceptable for our fans to flip out?

So youre still holding those first two years against him unh? Expected post season runs those two?

msstate7
05-11-2015, 10:54 AM
So youre still holding those first two years against him unh? Expected post season runs those two?

72-73 since. I expect better than that. Unreasonable? Maybe so

bobcat91
05-11-2015, 10:57 AM
No one is happy about this season. No one. The first two years Cohen was here are a pass because Polk left him nothing. This year is totally on him, the staff and players. This year is gone and we can move on. He has shown the ability to get the ship righted before, so I'm looking foreword to next year. We went to four straight regionals, two super regionals, the CWS and the National Championship series, yet we have morons saying fire him. He didn't forget how to coach. Make him fix it. I expect to be in a regional next year. Some forget that it was only a few years ago that LSU was left out of a regional and Virginia, who played for the National Championship last year, has a losing record in the ACC and is unranked.

Coach34
05-11-2015, 11:17 AM

i totally disagree

There is easily 20% of our fanbase that wanted him gone before 1 pitch was thrown this season. It's not about wins/losses with them- it's that he is not "Polk's Boy"

dawgs
05-11-2015, 11:17 AM
No one is happy about this season. No one. The first two years Cohen was here are a pass because Polk left him nothing. This year is totally on him, the staff and players. This year is gone and we can move on. He has shown the ability to get the ship righted before, so I'm looking foreword to next year. We went to four straight regionals, two super regionals, the CWS and the National Championship series, yet we have morons saying fire him. He didn't forget how to coach. Make him fix it. I expect to be in a regional next year. Some forget that it was only a few years ago that LSU was left out of a regional and Virginia, who played for the National Championship last year, has a losing record in the ACC and is unranked.

We may just not be a good team with the combo of talent and experience that's capable of competing for a postseason spot this year, but my problem is I feel we are doing some very obvious things that are limiting our ability to maximize our talent. Sometimes it just isn't your year, and sometimes you make decisions to ensure it isn't your year. I think Cohen has definitely crossed into the latter.

And no I don't think he's trying to lose, I think he's just completely outsmarted himself and is overthinking the game, maybe because he know we don't have the requisite talent/experience this year, but it's definitely set him up to take almost all the blame for our failures.

dawgs
05-11-2015, 11:21 AM
i totally disagree

There is easily 20% of our fanbase that wanted him gone before 1 pitch was thrown this season. It's not about wins/losses with them- it's that he is not "Polk's Boy"

I know plenty of people that were stans' backers and didn't want him gone. However I don't know a single person that was butthurt about us passing on raffo simply because he was "polk's boy".

Dawgface
05-11-2015, 11:36 AM

That must be the problem. All my friends are in the 1% bracket.

confucius say
05-11-2015, 12:00 PM
72-73 since. I expect better than that. Unreasonable? Maybe so

That's a totally different argument. And is a debatable one. In a vacuum, no, a .500 sec record is not good enough. But Would you agree 2011-2014 was acceptable, bc I was very happy with our program's results as a whole during that time. Super, regional and sec tourney, natty appearance, regional final.

Political Hack
05-11-2015, 12:12 PM

How do you really feel?

Political Hack
05-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Cohen is the perfect fit for MSU baseball. If he's successful, he'll stay forever. If he's awful, he'll gladly walk off into the sun light without throwing away all of his files so the next coach has to start with zilch.

He just has to stop being stubborn and trust his players to produce. God coaches make adjustments. We'll see what he does next season.

Coach34
05-11-2015, 01:03 PM
I know plenty of people that were stans' backers and didn't want him gone. However I don't know a single person that was butthurt about us passing on raffo simply because he was "polk's boy".

You need to meet more people then...hell, half the former players were divided on it. Some still havent come back because of it

Drugdog
05-11-2015, 01:05 PM
He just has to stop being stubborn and trust his players to produce. God coaches make adjustments. We'll see what he does next season.

Excellent point.

GTHOM
05-11-2015, 01:30 PM
what i dont understand with people that say ''he deserves one more year, but should change things.'' what in the hell coach do you know has EVER up and changed his entire strategy and coaching philosophy like that. He aint gonna change anything

if there is one you folks know then tell me but i cant think of any off the top of my head that changed everything in one offseason.

Dawg61
05-11-2015, 01:34 PM

Dude it's how he's managing games that's got everyone upset. Not as much the wins and losses.

Political Hack
05-11-2015, 02:03 PM
what i dont understand with people that say ''he deserves one more year, but should change things.'' what in the hell coach do you know has EVER up and changed his entire strategy and coaching philosophy like that. He aint gonna change anything

if there is one you folks know then tell me but i cant think of any off the top of my head that changed everything in one offseason.

Howland changed from a stall offense to a run and gun and is a better coach for it. Cohen said the ball is going to change the game. He understands that. This team was built for a different brand of baseball. He has to adjust to the game or he'll be out of a job. It's that simple.

dawgs
05-11-2015, 02:21 PM
You need to meet more people then...hell, half the former players were divided on it. Some still havent come back because of it

Everyone I knew hated the way it went down, no one wanted Polk acting like he did, but simultaneously wanted to respect his opinions too. But ultimately no one held any animosity towards the program or Cohen because it was undeniable who the more qualified candidate was. I know a few of the players that played under raffo were angry (Gendron is the one standing out to me right now), but that hardly seemed to be more than a negligible amount of the fanbase as a whole. Now if we'd have hired a Rick Ray type of hire over raffo, then you'd have created a divided fanbase, but we didn't make a Rick Ray type hire when hired Cohen.

weblow
05-11-2015, 02:51 PM

This one is pretty simple. John Cohen. Cohen recruited and built a team in Kentucky around the HR ball. Soon as he was hired here to a larger field and with the new bats he went to Pitching, defense, and speed. He completely ditched recruiting for power and sacrificed it for speed. So I would say he has proven that he can switch his strategy.

Now I have no explanation why he did not going into this year like other coaches but it may be that we had swung so far the speed/ small ball direction, that he just didn't have the players to completely do it. Cohen easily gets one more year but needs to make some large scale changes. I think he will do that. We will have to wait and see.

CadaverDawg
05-11-2015, 03:12 PM
This one is pretty simple. John Cohen. Cohen recruited and built a team in Kentucky around the HR ball. Soon as he was hired here to a larger field and with the new bats he went to Pitching, defense, and speed. He completely ditched recruiting for power and sacrificed it for speed. So I would say he has proven that he can switch his strategy.

Now I have no explanation why he did not going into this year like other coaches but it may be that we had swung so far the speed/ small ball direction, that he just didn't have the players to completely do it. Cohen easily gets one more year but needs to make some large scale changes. I think he will do that. We will have to wait and see.

Good post. I agree. Let's see what the Intense Bastard can do.

BulldogBear
05-11-2015, 04:12 PM
Good post. I agree. Let's see what the Intense Bastard can do.

For me it's the overthinking and overmanaging. Whether it's 80%, 90%, or 99%, most of us want Cohen to work out. I think like Cadaver in that you can't put too much stock in what people say in a game thread of a frustrating game. It can get emotional!!!! I want Cohen to turn it around because I want MSU to be successful. Someone else said what I feel....I care what the name on the front of the jersey says, not the back. If Cohen brings success to that name, then his name can stay on the back of the jersey. If not, then I want a different name on the back of the coach's jersey so to speak. Certainly, he gets one if not two more years. When I say I'm done with him, what I really mean is I've had enough of cohen ball. There's pretty good post earlier in this thread by I seen it that involves multiple uses of the word sh*t. Pretty much nails it!! It's time to get back to the basis of straight up beating the other team. I'm sorry John, you're wrong about the playing "versus the game." There's a whole 'nother team full of eager young men that have something to say about that. They say they are going to knock it down your pitcher's throat or throw it right by your best slap hitter, no matter what your blinkin' matrix says John. They say, "please give me a free out" 'cause I know I'm just gonna K your next guy so your fly ball on the following batter is gonna end the inning, etc, etc, etc. You're playing another set of young men that apparently want it more than you. You're playing a game, but it's against another team, not some meticlorion filled force known as the "game." And if is, then let's recruit Anakin or some other Sith Lord filled with 'em. Heck, at least get us Han Solo, Chewbacca and a good blaster.... not Jawas who can run fast but little else from the batter's box.

As far as next year... It's hard to say well, he has to make postseason or host a regional or whatever. What I want to see is that his approach, the current or adjusted is going to be successful. And if it doesn't feel like it ultimately will, then goodbye. Still it's hard to say you would get rid of a guy that gets into the postseason in baseball. I agree with Hack on that. But, what I ultimately want to see is better power hitting recruits and development. Take the bat off the shoulder and swing it. Situational bunting will ALWAYS have a place in the strategy of a good baseball program, but the problem I have with "overbunting," for lack of a better word, is what lies at it's core:

PLAYING NOT TO LOSE

And that is exactly what it is because you are ASSUMING that the next batter coming up will NOT GET A HIT. That's a loser mentality. Bunt when it suits you and/or your strategy for this particular game and time in that game. But, don't follow some formula on when to do it. Okay, I really don't wanna reopen that discussion but I've never really weighed in on why I prefer to bunt rarely. Moving on.

Back to next year, even if the record isn't all that much better, we need to see a different product. We need to see Cohen get out of the way. Again, baseball is not an easy game, but it's also not hard. I wanna see better hitting and the top 6-8 guys in the lineup no matter what arm the pitcher throws with. 17 the matchup crap. I've had enough of it. It has a place and should be considered often, but it's not something you have to do. It's the same plate, lefty or righty. If you can't hit a ball coming over the plate, you don't need to be out there. I know that I'm biased because I was a natural hitter with a natural swing and didn't care or pay attention much to righty or left. It also didn't make much difference, but surely I'm not some freak. I know there are some data that say you wanna have this guy or that guy, but seriously, can you hit or not? If you can I want you in the lineup. Anyway, if we see the right kind of improvement next year, I want Cohen to stay, but if the same sheit show, different season, EVEN IF OUR RECORD IMPROVES... then let's get the inevitable over with.

I think of the 2008 football season, the last in the dark times that were the Croom era, a kick in the KY game plus a couple of FDs in the Auburn game and we easily would've gone bowling. Croom would still have been our coach in 2009... not because he was a good coach.... or was going in the right direction... or had a decent offense... Instead it would only have been because he went bowling and well, you know, you can't get rid of that guy. Where would be now, because we know that despite if he had gone bowling two years in a row, his philosophy was taking us nowhere. So, because of that way of thinking, I worry next year about us sneaking into a regional as a 3 seed, but still fall way short of potential because we're seeing the same 'ol Cohen ball. So, here's the punchline to all of this: What we need to see next year is a different product, regardless of how strikingly better or not the W/L record is.

Todd4State
05-11-2015, 06:09 PM

Trust me- we're better off keeping Cohen for at least one more year than we are cutting bait right now even if it means another losing season. We get rid of Cohen- we risk losing more of our recruits to the MLB draft in what is our best class in awhile. Our class after this one isn't as good as this one IMO.

And let's say we have to go through this again and have another losing season. So, then we fire Cohen and the new coach has an elite group of sophomores to work with- plus we have a new stadium that we can use as a selling point to get another great coach.

If Cohen turns it around, he turns it around.

Either way we win unless we fire Cohen and Rick Ray the next hire. Odds are that wouldn't happen.

War Machine Dawg
05-11-2015, 06:19 PM
For me it's the overthinking and overmanaging. Whether it's 80%, 90%, or 99%, most of us want Cohen to work out. I think like Cadaver in that you can't put too much stock in what people say in a game thread of a frustrating game. It can get emotional!!!! I want Cohen to turn it around because I want MSU to be successful. Someone else said what I feel....I care what the name on the front of the jersey says, not the back. If Cohen brings success to that name, then his name can stay on the back of the jersey. If not, then I want a different name on the back of the coach's jersey so to speak. Certainly, he gets one if not two more years. When I say I'm done with him, what I really mean is I've had enough of cohen ball. There's pretty good post earlier in this thread by I seen it that involves multiple uses of the word sh*t. Pretty much nails it!! It's time to get back to the basis of straight up beating the other team. I'm sorry John, you're wrong about the playing "versus the game." There's a whole 'nother team full of eager young men that have something to say about that. They say they are going to knock it down your pitcher's throat or throw it right by your best slap hitter, no matter what your blinkin' matrix says John. They say, "please give me a free out" 'cause I know I'm just gonna K your next guy so your fly ball on the following batter is gonna end the inning, etc, etc, etc. You're playing another set of young men that apparently want it more than you. You're playing a game, but it's against another team, not some meticlorion filled force known as the "game." And if is, then let's recruit Anakin or some other Sith Lord filled with 'em. Heck, at least get us Han Solo, Chewbacca and a good blaster.... not Jawas who can run fast but little else from the batter's box.

As far as next year... It's hard to say well, he has to make postseason or host a regional or whatever. What I want to see is that his approach, the current or adjusted is going to be successful. And if it doesn't feel like it ultimately will, then goodbye. Still it's hard to say you would get rid of a guy that gets into the postseason in baseball. I agree with Hack on that. But, what I ultimately want to see is better power hitting recruits and development. Take the bat off the shoulder and swing it. Situational bunting will ALWAYS have a place in the strategy of a good baseball program, but the problem I have with "overbunting," for lack of a better word, is what lies at it's core:

PLAYING NOT TO LOSE

And that is exactly what it is because you are ASSUMING that the next batter coming up will NOT GET A HIT. That's a loser mentality. Bunt when it suits you and/or your strategy for this particular game and time in that game. But, don't follow some formula on when to do it. Okay, I really don't wanna reopen that discussion but I've never really weighed in on why I prefer to bunt rarely. Moving on.

Back to next year, even if the record isn't all that much better, we need to see a different product. We need to see Cohen get out of the way. Again, baseball is not an easy game, but it's also not hard. I wanna see better hitting and the top 6-8 guys in the lineup no matter what arm the pitcher throws with. 17 the matchup crap. I've had enough of it. It has a place and should be considered often, but it's not something you have to do. It's the same plate, lefty or righty. If you can't hit a ball coming over the plate, you don't need to be out there. I know that I'm biased because I was a natural hitter with a natural swing and didn't care or pay attention much to righty or left. It also didn't make much difference, but surely I'm not some freak. I know there are some data that say you wanna have this guy or that guy, but seriously, can you hit or not? If you can I want you in the lineup. Anyway, if we see the right kind of improvement next year, I want Cohen to stay, but if the same sheit show, different season, EVEN IF OUR RECORD IMPROVES... then let's get the inevitable over with.

I think of the 2008 football season, the last in the dark times that were the Croom era, a kick in the KY game plus a couple of FDs in the Auburn game and we easily would've gone bowling. Croom would still have been our coach in 2009... not because he was a good coach.... or was going in the right direction... or had a decent offense... Instead it would only have been because he went bowling and well, you know, you can't get rid of that guy. Where would be now, because we know that despite if he had gone bowling two years in a row, his philosophy was taking us nowhere. So, because of that way of thinking, I worry next year about us sneaking into a regional as a 3 seed, but still fall way short of potential because we're seeing the same 'ol Cohen ball. So, here's the punchline to all of this: What we need to see next year is a different product, regardless of how strikingly better or not the W/L record is.

http://i.imgur.com/xHFRtju.gif
http://i.imgur.com/RSCcYCh.gif

BossDawg
05-11-2015, 07:05 PM
We have to get back to basics

I'm wondering if Cohen even knows how to do this.

BossDawg
05-11-2015, 07:35 PM

This is what worries me. Yeah, I get that teams have down years, but how can a team that was playing for a national title just 2 years ago be this.friggin'.bad? How? There should be at least a couple of things they are good at; something to give the fans a little hope and prove that the coaches are actually working on some aspects of the game. But this team is garbage from top to bottom. Makes no sense.

Smitty
05-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Trust me- we're better off keeping Cohen for at least one more year than we are cutting bait right now even if it means another losing season. We get rid of Cohen- we risk losing more of our recruits to the MLB draft in what is our best class in awhile. Our class after this one isn't as good as this one IMO.

And let's say we have to go through this again and have another losing season. So, then we fire Cohen and the new coach has an elite group of sophomores to work with- plus we have a new stadium that we can use as a selling point to get another great coach.

If Cohen turns it around, he turns it around.

Either way we win unless we fire Cohen and Rick Ray the next hire. Odds are that wouldn't happen.

So they would take a larger risk in going pro with a different coach? No. They are signed not committed and we wouldn't see a mass "oh shit cohens not there I'm not going to try to improve my draft stock and make millions more now".. Especially because we obviously wouldn't hire some idiot and would likely upgrade their chances of a big payday down the road.

Another Toddism that sounds good but lacks reality.

Smitty
05-11-2015, 07:49 PM
This is what worries me. Yeah, I get that teams have down years, but how can a team that was playing for a national title just 2 years ago be this.friggin'.bad? How? There should be at least a couple of things they are good at; something to give the fans a little hope and prove that the coaches are actually working on some aspects of the game. But this team is garbage from top to bottom. Makes no sense.

There's a lot less of a correlation between "play in championship = great coach" in baseball than there is in football or basketball. A lot more randomness in small game samples. See Fresno State.

Treemydawg
05-11-2015, 09:50 PM

I know I am late to the party with this copy and reply, but you hit the nail on the head WMD great post and it explains my thoughts to a tee.

Tbonewannabe
05-11-2015, 10:04 PM

I think we also created our whole pitching staff on getting sink which also blew up in our faces.

Todd4State
05-11-2015, 10:44 PM
So they would take a larger risk in going pro with a different coach? No. They are signed not committed and we wouldn't see a mass "oh shit cohens not there I'm not going to try to improve my draft stock and make millions more now".. Especially because we obviously wouldn't hire some idiot and would likely upgrade their chances of a big payday down the road.

Another Toddism that sounds good but lacks reality.

They are signed- and if we hire a coach that they don't know- it absolutely increases the risk that they leave because they have no other option. These players were recruited by and CHOSE this current staff to play for. They WANT to play for out staff. It's not the high end guys that we would more than likely lose anyway- it's the second level guys that we MUST get to college to succeed whomever the coach is.

Basically, by you being a dumbass and your bias and hate for Cohen, you're advocating hurting us in the long run whomever the coach is. So, if we fire Cohen, you want to hurt the next guy? You are a prime example of what is wrong with our fanbase- failing to have a grasp on reality and not seeing the big picture and letting ignorance cloud your judgement that it holds us all back.

War Machine Dawg
05-11-2015, 11:51 PM
I think we also created our whole pitching staff on getting sink which also blew up in our faces.

I don't think there can be any doubt about that. The only exceptions seem to be Hudson, Houston, Tatum, and Sexton. Coincidentally, they're arguably our 4 best pitchers.

Todd4State
05-12-2015, 01:58 AM
I don't think there can be any doubt about that. The only exceptions seem to be Hudson, Houston, Tatum, and Sexton. Coincidentally, they're arguably our 4 best pitchers.

That sounds more like an overall talent issue to me than a philosophy issue. Normally trying to get ground balls is a good idea- ask the Braves in the 90's.

maroonmania
05-12-2015, 09:00 AM

I would think getting sink and inducing ground balls would be a good thing no matter what ball you are using. Even with the new ball I'm not sure why our pitchers can't pitch to the lower part of the strike zone and be effective. They just have to adjust to not getting quite as much movement as in the past.

Really Clark?
05-12-2015, 09:53 AM
I would think getting sink and inducing ground balls would be a good thing no matter what ball you are using. Even with the new ball I'm not sure why our pitchers can't pitch to the lower part of the strike zone and be effective. They just have to adjust to not getting quite as much movement as in the past.

I agree with you there, in reference to it being an effect pitch any time and being able to locate. Seams doesn't effect location. But if the guy is not a power arm and his sink is dependent on spin and/or arm slot then the lack of late sink movement, because of the lower seams, will effect them in two ways. When they miss its going to be up in the zone and with little to no late movement then it's almost BP pitch. Secondly, even with them making a good location pitch the difference of just 2" less down movement changes a mishit to a base hit and also eliminates a lot of chase pitches from them. They have to throw for a strike and it stays a strike instead of the batter chasing the ball dropping out of the zone. So they have to either recreate what they do with even more spin, which may not happen if they are topping out to max spin rate or more speed with their same amount spin that they previously had. Again, which is incredibly hard to do. They may get an additional speed bump but very hard to keep their previous spin without a considerable amount of retooling. And they may never get the spins back up when throwing at an increased speed. Or they learn totally different pitches and change their philosphy. Or learn to be knuckleballer. It's easy to say just adjust location but what made them effective in the first place is gone from them and very few would be able to adjust in just one year.

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2015, 12:10 PM
I agree with you there, in reference to it being an effect pitch any time and being able to locate. Seams doesn't effect location. But if the guy is not a power arm and his sink is dependent on spin and/or arm slot then the lack of late sink movement, because of the lower seams, will effect them in two ways. When they miss its going to be up in the zone and with little to no late movement then it's almost BP pitch. Secondly, even with them making a good location pitch the difference of just 2" less down movement changes a mishit to a base hit and also eliminates a lot of chase pitches from them. They have to throw for a strike and it stays a strike instead of the batter chasing the ball dropping out of the zone. So they have to either recreate what they do with even more spin, which may not happen if they are topping out to max spin rate or more speed with their same amount spin that they previously had. Again, which is incredibly hard to do. They may get an additional speed bump but very hard to keep their previous spin without a considerable amount of retooling. And they may never get the spins back up when throwing at an increased speed. Or they learn totally different pitches and change their philosphy. Or learn to be knuckleballer. It's easy to say just adjust location but what made them effective in the first place is gone from them and very few would be able to adjust in just one year.

This is more what I was thinking. Ross Mitchell went from one of the top pitchers in the SEC in the last decade to throwing BP. This happened almost completely across the board for our pitching staff. I just think we recruited to that specific advantage in pitchers and with the new ball the advantage basically went away. When people say Cohen stated it would take him at least 2 years to change the team this makes the most sense. Our offense isn't what kept us from making a Regional, it is our pitching staff.

I don't think we can compete for a title with our hitting but we should be comfortably in a Regional if our entire pitching staff didn't shit the bed. The only guys worth anything right now are the people that hasn't relied on all the movement.

dawgs
05-12-2015, 12:27 PM
This is more what I was thinking. Ross Mitchell went from one of the top pitchers in the SEC in the last decade to throwing BP. This happened almost completely across the board for our pitching staff. I just think we recruited to that specific advantage in pitchers and with the new ball the advantage basically went away. When people say Cohen stated it would take him at least 2 years to change the team this makes the most sense. Our offense isn't what kept us from making a Regional, it is our pitching staff.

I don't think we can compete for a title with our hitting but we should be comfortably in a Regional if our entire pitching staff didn't shit the bed. The only guys worth anything right now are the people that hasn't relied on all the movement.

Anytime you are relying on soft tossers that don't rack up at least 7K/9, you are setting yourself up to over-rely on balls not finding holes. Ross was destined to eventually drop off a cliff with his terrible K rate.

Really Clark?
05-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Mitchell in a sense is our Barry Zito. Not that he lost velocity but the flatter seams changed what he does and how effective he is. With Zito he lost velocity and command of his offspeed stuff which required him to use his fastball too much. Mitchell is it the loss of movement on his pitches but with each one you are looking at guys who are soft tossers that rely heavily on spin, movement and breaking stuff.

dawgs
05-12-2015, 01:18 PM
Mitchell in a sense is our Barry Zito. Not that he lost velocity but the flatter seams changed what he does and how effective he is. With Zito he lost velocity and command of his offspeed stuff which required him to use his fastball too much. Mitchell is it the loss of movement on his pitches but with each one you are looking at guys who are soft tossers that rely heavily on spin, movement and breaking stuff.

I wish he had zito's K rates. Ha. Sub 4.5 K/9 rates is playing with fire. We should be thankful we got what we got out of Mitchell prior to this season.

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2015, 03:33 PM
I wish he had zito's K rates. Ha. Sub 4.5 K/9 rates is playing with fire. We should be thankful we got what we got out of Mitchell prior to this season.

As much as Ross pitched it wasn't just luck he was good.

dawgs
05-12-2015, 03:37 PM
As much as Ross pitched it wasn't just luck he was good.

Not saying he was bad, but he wasn't a sub-2.00 era guy like in 2013 or even a sub-3.00 era guy like 2014. Little more bad luck with seeing eye singles and bloop hits, and his era skyrockets. And given the sheer number of those balls he induced, the odds were against him continuing to have those balls hit at defenders.

maroonmania
05-12-2015, 03:53 PM
So a question, are the lower seamed balls now in college equivalent to what is used in pro ball? What type of baseball is used in the pros? I assume the same ball is used from A ball and up.

Tbonewannabe
05-12-2015, 04:10 PM
Not saying he was bad, but he wasn't a sub-2.00 era guy like in 2013 or even a sub-3.00 era guy like 2014. Little more bad luck with seeing eye singles and bloop hits, and his era skyrockets. And given the sheer number of those balls he induced, the odds were against him continuing to have those balls hit at defenders.

I think with the old ball he was similar to a knuckle baller. The new ball seems to have taken away his movement.

Really Clark?
05-12-2015, 04:12 PM
So a question, are the lower seamed balls now in college equivalent to what is used in pro ball? What type of baseball is used in the pros? I assume the same ball is used from A ball and up.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ncaa-concludes-study-on-ball-seams/

CadaverDawg
05-12-2015, 04:25 PM
I think with the old ball he was similar to a knuckle baller. The new ball seems to have taken away his movement.

He probably should have tried to convert to knuckleballs when they changed the seams.*

Dog316
05-13-2015, 10:31 AM

^^^^^^
Your momma needs to wash your mouth with soap. It is full of fecal matter. I pity the poor folks you direct at the airport, and to a lesser degree the ones who direct you.