PDA

View Full Version : My big question about MSU baseball is ...

MabenMaroon
05-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Why is it year after year in the Cohen regime we can't land one or two recruits that will be immediate impact their freshmen year? LSU- Bregman last year and they have two freshmen weekend starters this year, UF - Schwarz, Guthrie, Rivera, Faedo; USCe - Destino; TAMU - Larkin, Martin ... and I could name several on almost every SEC team.
Yet, we never or have yet to have one under Cohen, it seems everybody else lets their best players take the field. Are we recruiting at a lesser level.
This phenomenon seems to have me baffled, just curious.

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 09:16 PM
I would say before this year we have been recruiting at a lesser level. I think that problem again goes back to bringing in too many JUCO's. If we bring in more HS players then we increase the odds of having an impact freshman.

We are also at a geographical disadvantage as far as getting impact freshmen. Look at the states that those schools are from in your post- Louisiana, Texas, and Florida. That's two of the big four baseball producing states and Louisiana is probably in the top 10 as far as producing baseball talent. Those states have more population, which means more player, which increases their odds of finding a player that can be an immediate impact freshman. Those states also have elite travel teams that those players play on- and the closest thing that Mississippi has is Dulin's Dodgers.

Mississippi players have a reputation for being very raw- and for most of them, it takes a couple of years to develop. See Hunter Renfroe who is probably the poster boy of that.

And all of that is not to say that we can't ever find an impact freshman- but that our probability is a lot lower.

BankerDog
05-10-2015, 09:24 PM
And from what I have heard, it took a lot alumni calling Cohen to even get him to offer Renfroe.

I would like us to recruit Louisiana more than we have Alabama. Those boys are country strong as we have seen from ULL and LSU.

MabenMaroon
05-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys! I wonder about that from time to time. Where is USM's hot shot pitcher from? Probably will win the Ferris award this year.

Homedawg
05-10-2015, 09:39 PM
And from what I have heard, it took a lot alumni calling Cohen to even get him to offer Renfroe.

I would like us to recruit Louisiana more than we have Alabama. Those boys are country strong as we have seen from ULL and LSU.
No it took Burroughs pushing him again to offer. None the less we did and it worked out.