PDA

View Full Version : If I were Strick...

preachermatt83
05-10-2015, 07:25 PM
As hard as it is for me to say, I'd give Cohen one more year. I'd have a serious discussion with him about our hitting philosophy among other things but still I'd give him another year but Hosting a regional is the minimum next year. If I'm Strick I don't wanna lose this class so I let him sign them, see if we can make a huge turnaround next year but if not then fire him. Host or fired. Bottom line.

Drugdog
05-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Sorta agree.
There has to be defined expectations.
No need to repeat them.

weblow
05-10-2015, 08:11 PM
I don't think it can be host or be fired. That would be an idiotic statement if we were to not host but still go to a regional and make the CWS. Not saying I think there is a chance we make the CWS, but I think it shouldn't be that cut and dry.

BeardoMSU
05-10-2015, 08:21 PM
I don't think it can be host or be fired. That would be an idiotic statement if we were to not host but still go to a regional and make the CWS. Not saying I think there is a chance we make the CWS, but I think it shouldn't be that cut and dry.

Obviously, if we made a run as a #2 seed and made it to Omaha he'd be safe....don't see that happening though...

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 08:29 PM
I agree except for your minimum standards. Partially because a lot of whether you host or not is based on a committee. If we have an RPI of 14 and win 19 SEC games and go in as a 2 seed, we're firing a coach because of THAT? And then what if we don't host but make a SR? Hosting is not a cut and dried thing.

The other thing is IF the rumors are true, we could be starting a ton of freshmen next year. We could make pretty tangible progress and not host. We'll have to wait and see how that all shakes out. There are too many unknown factors at this time to truly make a rational judgement on it. Regardless, I do know that hosting is not a tangible or rational way to look at it.

rcsteph1
05-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Just my opinion but I think his job is safe either way.

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 09:07 PM
Just my opinion but I think his job is safe either way.

I think he gets a chance to show that he can turn it around. He'll be asked to make some changes-I think he will be OK with that. I am of the belief that if he gets fired it would be after next year most likely- with the reason being a loss of control of the team.

Coach34
05-10-2015, 09:12 PM
We dont host but make a Super Regional- he still gets fired?

No way you can make hosting a stipulation

SDDawg
05-10-2015, 09:28 PM

IQ points are diminishing on this thread! 1000% agreed!

hells bells
05-10-2015, 09:30 PM

It is a melt down cluster 17. Give Cohen time within reason.

hells bells
05-10-2015, 09:35 PM
It is a melt down cluster 17. Give Cohen time within reason.

To follow up, Cohen did have the diamond dogs in a NCS series.

Homedawg
05-10-2015, 09:47 PM
Look who started the thread and then figure it out.... He's trying to win a competition. Closing in too

shoeless joe
05-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Just my opinion but unless next year is an absolute repeat of this year...less than 10 SEC wins...I don't see Cohen going anywhere.

War Machine Dawg
05-10-2015, 10:17 PM
I'd say make the floor for staying a #2 seed. Sneaking in as a 3 seed or less = goodbye. We just can't afford to continue with a split fan base where half want to give Cohen benefit of the doubt and the other half believing we aren't maximizing our potential under Cohen.

preachermatt83
05-10-2015, 10:34 PM
Of course there are exceptions, point is I'd give him another year but it better be a complete turnaround from this year. Host or win the regional your in is fine but there is no way cohen should still be the head coach of we are a 2 seed in a regional and get knocked off. Period.

preachermatt83
05-10-2015, 10:36 PM
Hosting a regional should be expected at MSU. Not once ever 4 years either. Every year. And if we are not in regional hosting discussions every year that is a down year. Period. We are a top 5 baseball program and we should expect to compete as such.

preachermatt83
05-10-2015, 10:37 PM
And it's not just this year... This is two years in a row we've sucked.

Coach34
05-10-2015, 10:43 PM
We are a top 5 baseball program and we should expect to compete as such.

In no way, shape, or form are we a top 5 baseball program. We have never even won a NC. Holy shit that is so wrong. We arent even a top 15 baseball program

yjnkdawg
05-10-2015, 11:12 PM
As hard as it is for me to say, I'd give Cohen one more year. I'd have a serious discussion with him about our hitting philosophy among other things but still I'd give him another year but Hosting a regional is the minimum next year. If I'm Strick I don't wanna lose this class so I let him sign them, see if we can make a huge turnaround next year but if not then fire him. Host or fired. Bottom line.

I don't think an AD should micromanage, but should make a coach aware of his expectations. Host or fired ? There is a lot of factors that can go into whether a team hosts a regional. I don't think that would be a true way of measuring a team's sucess during the year, or a determination on whether a coach is fired or not.

yjnkdawg
05-10-2015, 11:16 PM
Hosting a regional should be expected at MSU. Not once ever 4 years either. Every year. And if we are not in regional hosting discussions every year that is a down year. Period. We are a top 5 baseball program and we should expect to compete as such.

I wish we were a Top 5 baseball program, but there is no data to show that we are.

maroonmania
05-10-2015, 11:24 PM

Wow, even at our peak under Polk I in the 80s we were not hosting regionals every year. And that was back when you didn't even have to be a 1 seed to host. Heck, I would love to see us host or at least be in discussion to host every year, but that is definitely a level we have never achieved before even during that time where baseball was an afterthought to the rest of the SEC.

Quaoarsking
05-10-2015, 11:30 PM
We are a top 5 baseball program and we should expect to compete as such.

And it's not just this year... This is two years in a row we've sucked.

This is where you ruin all of your credibility:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/35_09_05_15_10_18_03.png

If 2014 "sucked," then we have been really shitty this entire century. And if that's true, we're obviously nowhere close to being a top 5 program.

Obviously you're wrong on both points (that last year sucked and that we are a top 5 program), but at least try to have some internal consistency in your wrong arguments. It is literally impossible that both of your statements could be true.

shoeless joe
05-11-2015, 06:55 AM

If 2014 "sucked," then we have been really shitty this entire century. And if that's true, we're obviously nowhere close to being a top 5 program.

Obviously you're wrong on both points (that last year sucked and that we are a top 5 program), but at least try to have some internal consistency in your wrong arguments. It is literally impossible that both of your statements could be true.

But we bunted a lot last year so we must have sucked...

We got beat out by ULL and they lost to UMiss so we must have sucked...

We used different line ups a lot so we must have sucked...

I heard a rumor that Cohen double parked outside the palmeiro center which made a couple players have to walk farther and one sprained his ankle and Cohen wouldn't let him get ice rite away and made the kid sit at practice with a sore ankle!!! So we must have sucked...

msstate7
05-11-2015, 07:05 AM
But we bunted a lot last year so we must have sucked...

We got beat out by ULL and they lost to UMiss so we must have sucked...

We used different line ups a lot so we must have sucked...

I heard a rumor that Cohen double parked outside the palmeiro center which made a couple players have to walk farther and one sprained his ankle and Cohen wouldn't let him get ice rite away and made the kid sit at practice with a sore ankle!!! So we must have sucked...

We were a decent team last year, but our record was inflated by sweeping auburn and mizzou -- 2 teams that were horrible (16-44 combined). We didn't play Florida (21-9 sec champs), usce (18-12), or Kentucky (14-16).

BrunswickDawg
05-11-2015, 07:16 AM

And if you go back to '91 - we haven't been a top 5 program either. With the exception of the '97 team, the results were pretty similar. Remember, Polk technically quit the first time in '91. To me, from that point on we were living on the rep from that magical period from '79-'90 when we were arguably Top 5 and not putting in the work to really be a Top 5 program.

I seen it dawg
05-11-2015, 07:53 AM
The bus has to do a 180 period. The shit this year is unacceptable I don't give a shit what school it is or status of said school.

Players unhappy and not buying in. Got wrong players is on Cohen.
Trying to be unconventional and outside the box. Dumb. It's on Cohen.
No leadership from upperclassmen. They are allowed to still run the asylum. On Cohen.
Players doing dumb shit all the time. Either not getting coached or back to first point. Cohen.

I like the guy and want him to win A NC here. I think we can. But the thing has to do a 180 and it should have started in March. It better start at end of year meetings. And he batter have a damn meeting with himself and get in his own ass about the shitshow thrown out there.

TopDog58
05-11-2015, 08:53 AM
In no way, shape, or form are we a top 5 baseball program. We have never even won a NC. Holy shit that is so wrong. We arent even a top 15 baseball program

Exactly. We haven't even won an SEC title in 25 years now. Never been a national seed, and haven't even won the West.

maroonmania
05-11-2015, 09:15 AM
Exactly. We haven't even won an SEC title in 25 years now. Never been a national seed, and haven't even won the West.

And yet apparently our fans expect us to be hosting regionals EVERY year.

msstate7
05-11-2015, 09:25 AM

Good thing for bama that their fans didn't lower their expectations. They went 17 years without a national championship. They didn't lower their expectations though and finally got their man. I hope Cohen can be our man, but I'm having doubts to say the least

War Machine Dawg
05-11-2015, 09:30 AM

You'll have to forgive Preacher. He's a bit nuts and doesn't live in reality. Personally, I'd say 2 hosts in a 5 year span is a reasonable expectation. We're definitely not a top 5 program. Frankly, we're a middle of the road has been right now. It's not acceptable, but it's the truth.

Good thing for bama that their fans didn't lower their expectations. They went 17 years without a national championship. They didn't lower their expectations though and finally got their man. I hope Cohen can be our man, but I'm having doubts to say the least

Point. Except we've never won a NC. I think we can, but it's getting harder, not easier.

Coach34
05-11-2015, 10:06 AM

You can have all the doubts you want- and his consistency looks to be a problem. But you can't deny that he has led us to two of the best seasons we have had in the last 25 years- with one season being the best in school history from a team he built himself. Either he responds next year or he doesn't- but that doesn't diminish what he has already accomplished- Best. Season. In. School. History

maroonmania
05-11-2015, 10:06 AM

This isn't about lowering expectations, what I'm talking about is more like raising expectations. Alabama has double digit national championships and a potload of recent SEC championships. They have the right to expect whatever they want. Our baseball program has ZERO national championships and NO SEC titles in the last 25 years yet we as fans are suppose to raise the bar to expect hosting regionals every year? Yes, I would LOVE to get to that level, but its not realistic to put that expectation on our baseball coach just for him to hold on to his job. Now I do fully expect to be making post season play every year, and if we don't (like this year) it needs to be a very rare exception for our baseball coach to hold on to his job.

shoeless joe
05-11-2015, 10:07 AM
We were a decent team last year, but our record was inflated by sweeping auburn and mizzou -- 2 teams that were horrible (16-44 combined). We didn't play Florida (21-9 sec champs), usce (18-12), or Kentucky (14-16).

So do Florida, LSU, and UMiss get wins taken off their record for beating us this year cuz we suck?

This year has sucked... We should expect better. But don't try to down play what we accomplished while at the same time over reacting to the negatives of this year.

BulldogBear
05-11-2015, 10:45 AM
So do Florida, LSU, and UMiss get wins taken off their record for beating us this year cuz we suck?

This year has sucked... We should expect better. But don't try to down play what we accomplished while at the same time over reacting to the negatives of this year.

Exactly. The "mathematics of defeat Mr. Bracegirdle." Others use it all the time to try to downplay ANY success whatsoever we have in football. Both teams can't win a game. Somebody has to lose. When Bama, LSU, Auburn etc, win the West it's because we're "down." It's goes both ways. We get a belly full of that in football. No need to bring it into baseball.

FWIW, back in the 80s there were half as many regionals because the field of 48 was smaller and regionals were six-team with no SRs. Under today's format we would've hosted even more back then.

Tbonewannabe
05-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I agree except for your minimum standards. Partially because a lot of whether you host or not is based on a committee. If we have an RPI of 14 and win 19 SEC games and go in as a 2 seed, we're firing a coach because of THAT? And then what if we don't host but make a SR? Hosting is not a cut and dried thing.

The other thing is IF the rumors are true, we could be starting a ton of freshmen next year. We could make pretty tangible progress and not host. We'll have to wait and see how that all shakes out. There are too many unknown factors at this time to truly make a rational judgement on it. Regardless, I do know that hosting is not a tangible or rational way to look at it.

If this happens, I would judge next year on how we compete as much as anything. If we make a Regional with a lot of freshmen then the future is drastically better. If the freshmen lose games like we have this year by folding when it matters, maybe another year wouldn't be warranted. Cohen has proven he knows how to coach but next year should decide if he has truly lost the team. This isn't like Rick Ray where he showed the team would compete but he just had never been a head coach.

Tbonewannabe
05-11-2015, 11:33 AM

I would say we are top 5 fan support. Gives you a recruiting advantage but that is about it. We are in the same tier as FSU. We aren't in the same tier as USC, LSU, and Texas. I would put us around top 15 but that is probably my bias showing.

Political Hack
05-11-2015, 12:21 PM
no way. you don't fire a coach for making the post season. I don't care if we're a 3-seed at GaTech, if we're playing to make it to Omaha after the SECT, no way you can your coach.

At some point you have to trust them to succeed. If we miss post season play 1 season, and make it every other season, that's a pretty decent run. Baseball can swing so quickly either way with the emergence or injury/loss of just 1 or 2 Fri/Sat night studs.