PDA

View Full Version : Lots of hints about the lack of leadership

Drugdog
05-10-2015, 06:13 PM
with this team. Captains skipping workouts and still playing is one I've heard.
I think we deserve to know what else is going on with this team and Coaches.
Please share.

Smitty
05-10-2015, 06:16 PM
Lose the team, lose your job. Players know what you are doing is making them worse baseball players. That's on Cohen for being an offensive blockhead.

Saltydog
05-10-2015, 06:55 PM
and one of the assistants during one of the games in the LSU series. I won't get into details but apparently JC spouted off to one of them and the assistant didn't take his shit and went back at him. JC was acting like a an asshole from all accounts. Anyway, from what I was told JC shut his mouth after the shit got hot. See, the neighborhood bully will beat you up and take your lunch money every day until you bust him in the nose. I can also tell you that things almost got very ugly last year between the coaches and Woodruff. It almost got physical and I'll leave it at that.

CadaverDawg
05-10-2015, 07:10 PM
and one of the assistants during one of the games in the LSU series. I won't get into details but apparently JC spouted off to one of them and the assistant didn't take his shit and went back at him. From what I was told, JC shut his mouth. See, the neighborhood bully will beat you up and take your lunch money every day until you bust him in the nose. I can also tell you that things almost got very ugly last year between the coaches and Woodruff. It almost got physical and I'll leave it at that.

Not defending it, but a baseball clubhouse is a different place. Shit happens and things are forgiven, so that doesn't concern me too much. Plus, this generation is a bunch of disrespectful smartasses, so let a kid that walks 5 straight on 20 pitches get mouthy with me as his coach for pulling him, and I'd want to knock his little shit ass out too. Never know the circumstances, so don't read too much into things like that. Hell, a couple punches may have helped Woody hit the strike zone a time or 2 after his freshman year*...just sayin

Saban has had physical altercations with players and yelling matches with assistants, yet he's one of the best ever.

Saltydog
05-10-2015, 07:29 PM
incidents are not that big a deal but when you're struggling like this club has/is it points to some serious leadership flaws......Been many a good coach to lose his job because he lost the clubhouse........MANY......Is this where we're heading? IDK but there are obviously some things going on........

CadaverDawg
05-10-2015, 08:41 PM
incidents are not that big a deal but when you're struggling like this club has/is it points to some serious leadership flaws......Been many a good coach to lose his job because he lost the clubhouse........MANY......Is this where we're heading? IDK but there are obviously some things going on........

True. That's why if you're Cohen you have to stick to your guns. If people aren't practicing or showing up to meetings, they should be gone. As soon as you allow them to stay, you're setting yourself up for disaster. On the other hand, if you are meddling so much that your coaching is clearly costing the team wins...eventually they could lose faith in you as a head coach and it affect their play. You have to be willing to show adjustments and the ability to adapt while maintaining and demanding respect and control of your team. Seems like there is a clear disconnect in one or more of those in our clubhouse, as you said.

I wouldn't be surprised if Smitty was pretty close with his guess as to why players are frustrated, but at the same time, Cohen has cut out a lot of the bunting since the halfway point in the year, so maybe they are learning to work together. It's a dictatorship....until the dictator is ruining your career and you start running out of time. That could be what happened with a few guys this season. Tough season, people got frustrated, heads butted. But we didn't quit. It may have looked like it Saturday, but we fought in that LSU series and the OM series. That tells me he hasn't totally lost the team. Probably lost some of them though.

RAYn_Man
05-10-2015, 08:47 PM
I would love for someone to expand on "captains skipping workouts"

CadaverDawg
05-10-2015, 08:49 PM
I would love for someone to expand on "captains skipping workouts"

Me too. I can't imagine Young and others getting booted, but a Captain being allowed to miss workouts with no punishment.

bulldogcountry1
05-10-2015, 08:51 PM
With all these stories coming out, I fear this all may be worse than expected. There are always a few rumors after the season is over, but I have never heard this much gossip throughout the season. Even if only have of it is true, it's still bad. It also means that too many players are talking about things, which isn't good, either

You have to assume that Thompson would be the only one who would have the stones to stand up to Cohen. I heard stories about how Cohen and Thompson butted heads over the pitching staff earlier in the season. To me, the worst possible scenario as far as the staff goes is to lose Thompson and keep Mingione.

Smitty
05-10-2015, 09:00 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Smitty was pretty close with his guess as to why players are frustrated, but at the same time, Cohen has cut out a lot of the bunting since the halfway point in the year, so maybe they are learning to work together.

Since the Florida series we have only gotten the leadoff man on 37 times.. That's over 127 innings I believe for a leadoff OBP of .291..

Ten of those have come in the last 2 games meaning from the Florida series thru game 1 of Ole Miss we were.....

27/108.... Just having an abysmal .250 leadoff OBP... Meaning yes it seems like the bunts are down because the leadoff guys on base are way down. Not to mention we are usually losing and often its not close, so you wouldn't bunt. Trust me, John isn't changing on this.

Coach34
05-10-2015, 09:16 PM
blah blah blah

Cohen is not letting anybody that skips workout play. That's just not who he is.

MabenMaroon
05-10-2015, 09:27 PM
Did notice the extreme anger being shown by Gavin Collins last night as the game ended, I am hoping he was looking for the home plate ump, but with what was posted above, could he have been angry at the coaches?

Drugdog
05-10-2015, 09:36 PM
blah blah blah

Cohen is not letting anybody that skips workout play. That's just not who he is.

Must be the same information source that said RR was staying another year. 😱

Homedawg
05-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Must be the same information source that said RR was staying another year. ��

No. that came from Stricklin. This has been discussed ad nausem. W that said, Cohen will quit before he lets people skip w no repercussions. And he isn't quiting much to some people's dismay. This whole thread is internet bs. But it's good for the hits I suppose.

Coach34
05-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Must be the same information source that said RR was staying another year. 

I doubt it- that guy works in the Bryan building

shoeless joe
05-10-2015, 09:58 PM
This shit goes on every year every where in baseball...just seems worse this year because we're losing and so many people want to believe the rumors. Any head coach that isn't willing to crawl some ass, player or coach, isn't much of a head coach.

Very easy to tell who has and has not been in a high level clubhouse when threads like this get going.

War Machine Dawg
05-10-2015, 11:13 PM
Since the Florida series we have only gotten the leadoff man on 37 times.. That's over 127 innings I believe for a leadoff OBP of .291..

Ten of those have come in the last 2 games meaning from the Florida series thru game 1 of Ole Miss we were.....

27/108.... Just having an abysmal .250 leadoff OBP... Meaning yes it seems like the bunts are down because the leadoff guys on base are way down. Not to mention we are usually losing and often its not close, so you wouldn't bunt. Trust me, John isn't changing on this.

Geez, that seems improbably bad. And we're wasting potentially our best leadoff guy in the 4 hole. #Cohenball

fader2103
05-11-2015, 06:30 AM
If I was Cohen this morning or whenever their meeting is. I'd bring in a bag single blade razors and some cans of barbasol and tell everyone to get to work on those beards. Then have a practice of nothing but running foul poles

Bullsy
05-11-2015, 08:25 AM
Lots of posts about Cohen being an asshole. That is probably true; but aren't a lot of head coaches assholes?

Corbin at Vandy = asshole
Maneri at LSU = dick
O'sullivan at Florida = ASSHOLE!!

C222
05-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Same rumors were put on here when everyone wanted Mullen fired too.

Saltydog
05-11-2015, 08:52 AM
of our program and what the impact or fallout is I'm not sure but there's for sure some things going on behind the scenes.

Bullsy
05-11-2015, 09:00 AM
Same rumors were put on here when everyone wanted Mullen fired too.

And everyone posted "Mullen is an asshole" back then. Winning cures all that

Saltydog
05-11-2015, 09:22 AM
us being that much better next year..........Improved, yes but substantially better prolly not..........I hope I'm wrong though..........