PDA

View Full Version : How did Mizzou go from 10 HR last yr to 38 HR this yr so far?

CadaverDawg
05-10-2015, 03:50 PM
Let's cork our bats or do whatever they did.

That is all.

Pinto
05-10-2015, 04:12 PM
Switched to addidas bats. **

Smitty
05-10-2015, 04:22 PM
The whole issue with blaming the balls is such horseshit when looking at the actual power guys. Ok, I get Seth Heck not jacking them. But his coaching has guys that would be pushing double digits with very low numbers.

Rea Rooker Hump Collins all should be much more productive with their gap power, irregardless of balls flying out of the yard.

Vickerson nearly sent one out of DNF this year. It's the COACHING that can't harness the talent and develop the power stroke. Cohen's stupid ass logic of "big field, hit singles" is conduct unbecoming of a head coach at MSU. Ok John sk the ball changed, why didn't our swings? Hump Collins and Rooker are in their 2nd year on campus. Why haven't they made a jump? Why are we last in slugging?

MabenMaroon
05-10-2015, 08:03 PM
PED's, need to check their player's incoming packages in the mail and see if they are post marked n Miami.***

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 08:21 PM
The whole issue with blaming the balls is such horseshit when looking at the actual power guys. Ok, I get Seth Heck not jacking them. But his coaching has guys that would be pushing double digits with very low numbers.

Rea Rooker Hump Collins all should be much more productive with their gap power, irregardless of balls flying out of the yard.

Vickerson nearly sent one out of DNF this year. It's the COACHING that can't harness the talent and develop the power stroke. Cohen's stupid ass logic of "big field, hit singles" is conduct unbecoming of a head coach at MSU. Ok John sk the ball changed, why didn't our swings? Hump Collins and Rooker are in their 2nd year on campus. Why haven't they made a jump? Why are we last in slugging?

So, you picked the one guy on the whole team that is actually legitimately hurt(Collins- and he STILL has more home runs than he did last year) a guy that redshirted last year in Rooker, and then a guy who went from 1 home run and 8 RBI's to 5 this year which is tied for the team lead as your examples of people that are not progressing? LOL.

Ironically, the worse Cohen coaches the more your lack of baseball knowledge shines through.

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 08:22 PM
PED's, need to check their player's incoming packages in the mail and see if they are post marked n Miami.***

If Palmeiro wants to help us out, I'm fine with that.

scottycameron
05-10-2015, 08:27 PM
corking an aluminum bat has probably never been tried before. It would be real easy, and more than likely legal. I say go for it if it helps.

BeardoMSU
05-10-2015, 08:28 PM

It's not PED's, but something far more sinister....

http://31.media.tumblr.com/5147c575ca6d565dfab48eadd4903e54/tumblr_n9ivgeIktk1t3in2oo1_500.gif

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 08:32 PM
corking an aluminum bat has probably never been tried before. It would be real easy, and more than likely legal. I say go for it if it helps.

I've never tried it, but from what I've heard corking a metal bat would basically ruin it.

There are things you can do to metal bats- like "roll" them to get more of a trampoline effect. And then there are those stories about those male softball players that re-paint illegal bats.

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Cadaver- here is your answer. He looks like he might be a good candidate for us should Mingione leave. No idea how well he recruits- and probably just now getting a baseline on that since he is in his first year.

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/hunter_mense_159120.html

CadaverDawg
05-10-2015, 08:44 PM
Cadaver- here is your answer. He looks like he might be a good candidate for us should Mingione leave. No idea how well he recruits- and probably just now getting a baseline on that since he is in his first year.

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/hunter_mense_159120.html

Nice info, Todd. Thanks

Really Clark?
05-10-2015, 08:59 PM

What?!? The balls have made a difference and you known it. For everybody. Now, I'm not saying it increased MO numbers that much by any means, but it has been charted all year long at nearly 40% higher than last year.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2015-05-07/division-i-baseball-home-runs-trend-continues-keep-pace-2015-season

Now as far as developing more power in players topic. I don't disagree with that you can do that with most any player. But I do disagree with the idea that every player can develop appropriate power. Or should. Some guys do not have the build or quick twitch to be that type of hitter. They still can be a great hitter without having great power. Baseball needs to harness and embrace the guys who do hit singles and have a high contact rate. There is such a premium for power guys, which I don't have a problem with, but I think some of the loss in runs is because fewer guys are on base to get knocked in. Now I'm not saying have a team of little single hitters but you have to be careful of trying to squeeze more power from a guy it that actually hurts their swing or causes a hurtful drop in their average. In some cases trying to develop that gap power in certain guys causes them to have a spike in fly outs because the extra lift puts the drive into a catchable zone. They will not hit perfect LC or RC gaps everytime and instead of line drives over the infield you are driving the ball straight to the OF. You have to balance the hitters potential. And I know some have this idea that any hitter can become power hitter and that is not correct. You can increase anyone's power but at what expense does that occur. Now I find it much easier to teach trying squaring the ball up everytime and finding that particular players max effort that allows them to swing the bat fundamentally sound, be adjustable, fluid and on time. Increasing power is great but some of the best power spikes, that are sustainable, just come from natural maturity. Now, at the MLB level you have to have size and/or incredible bat speed that DOES NOT sacrifice contact through the zone. That's why you see good power guys never make it. They have 20+ hr potential but they miss or mishit so many pitches they cannot achieve that potential. It's a fine line and we are leaving hr on the table. But some people (not you necessarily) have the idea that any player can become a power hitter with just coaching. That is false. I've seen plenty really good young hitters get coached into being a poor hitter all for the sake of more power. And that type of coaching is even worse for a player.

Dawg61
05-10-2015, 11:28 PM

I don't care if the Adidas bats have zero to do with it. I still want them gone next year. I want Louisville Slugger.

State82
05-11-2015, 09:07 AM
I'm not going to quote his post above to save thread space, but over the last few weeks Clark has been bringing some serious baseball tech to the board. Much needed I might add.

RougeDawg
05-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Let's cork our bats or do whatever they did.

That is all.

Something we refuse to address.

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/091614aaa.html

That is all!!

shoeless joe
05-11-2015, 12:50 PM
All things being equal a gap to gap approach will increase power. As stated the amount of power produced depends on the individual and their God given abilities. If they are mechanically correct and consistent with their approach the slg% of any player should increase if they have a gap to gap approach vs any other approach.
This doesn't mean gap to gap is appropriate for every single player but it is for a majority. The thing to remember is that power is not the end all and be all.

Really Clark?
05-11-2015, 01:14 PM
All things being equal a gap to gap approach will increase power. As stated the amount of power produced depends on the individual and their God given abilities. If they are mechanically correct and consistent with their approach the slg% of any player should increase if they have a gap to gap approach vs any other approach.
This doesn't mean gap to gap is appropriate for every single player but it is for a majority. The thing to remember is that power is not the end all and be all.

Agreed. And to add I really like for hitters to work on the opposite field gap a lot. Hitters have become so pull happy, and that is a true power zone, but the really great hitters makes the defense cover both sides and it is too their advantage to do so. When hitters are developing their stroke learn where your natural power comes from in relation to your swing. Some guys do have more oppo power than they think they do but the try to do too much pulling the ball when they could be a natural gap player. It's a never ending work in progress and it's not easy when faced with fastballs with good late movement, much less breaking pitches.

Mjoelner34
05-11-2015, 01:54 PM

Don't know if it helps or not but I've heard of tennis balls being put inside of them (I forget what level it was) and of college teams heating them up. I believe the subject of our opponent heating the bats came up in one of our games during Cohen's first year.

Homedawg
05-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Im hearing we won't be using Adidas bats next year. I'm not blaming anything on the bats, we have bigger issues. Just passing along what I heard.

confucius say
05-11-2015, 03:37 PM

This from the guy who compared hump to mike trout. News flash, hump has a huge hole in his swing. Very long to the base ball, as opposed to long through it. Has been that way since he stepped on campus. It's why he roles over everything. Hopefully Cohen can get that adjusted, bc the kid had potential, but I'm sure if he hits .320 with 8 hr next year you will give Cohen no credit for that. Same way with Frazier, renfroe, rea, etc.....

confucius say
05-11-2015, 03:41 PM
I don't care if the Adidas bats have zero to do with it. I still want them gone next year. I want Louisville Slugger.

I agree. That or Easton. But I have no inside info

RougeDawg
05-11-2015, 03:59 PM
This from the guy who compared hump to mike trout. News flash, hump has a huge hole in his swing. Very long to the base ball, as opposed to long through it. Has been that way since he stepped on campus. It's why he roles over everything. Hopefully Cohen can get that adjusted, bc the kid had potential, but I'm sure if he hits .320 with 8 hr next year you will give Cohen no credit for that. Same way with Frazier, renfroe, rea, etc.....

Serious question. What exactly has Johnny done to tweak our hitter's swings that suggests he will actually teach any proper Mechanics to improve them. Shit just about every player except Collins and one more (can't remember) don't even grip the bar properly. If our coaches aren't teaching the most basic of mechanics to our hitters (Bat grip), what makes anyone think they will actually adjust any swing to improve mechanics?

A proper grip will clean up most of the bad aspects of a swing alone. Proper grip will also reduce the chance of "muscling up" and slowing down the swing. We grip the bat in the palm of the hand, opposed to with just the fingers while trying to to touch wrists together.

Really Clark?
05-11-2015, 04:44 PM
Serious question. What exactly has Johnny done to tweak our hitter's swings that suggests he will actually teach any proper Mechanics to improve them. Shit just about every player except Collins and one more (can't remember) don't even grip the bar properly. If our coaches aren't teaching the most basic of mechanics to our hitters (Bat grip), what makes anyone think they will actually adjust any swing to improve mechanics?

A proper grip will clean up most of the bad aspects of a swing alone. Proper grip will also reduce the chance of "muscling up" and slowing down the swing. We grip the bat in the palm of the hand, opposed to with just the fingers while trying to to touch wrists together.

http://cmallbaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Mike-Trout-Grip.png

http://baseballrebellion.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Mike-Trout-Bat-Grip-.png

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1088518967829939&id=136769366338242&set=a.248717025143475.80501.136769366338242&source=54

Having a hard time finding a photo real quick but is Trouts grip what you are wanting to see? From your description I think not but I'm not too clear actually.