PDA

View Full Version : Injuries?

dawgdawg
05-09-2015, 09:27 PM
How do we have so many injuries? We lost Randolph, Shelly and Cox to injuries in the past year and throughout the spring Gentry, McCord, P Young, and Billingsly got hurt. Not to mention Cohen said Fitts didn't pitch this weekend because of his arm hurting.

I seen it dawg
05-09-2015, 09:31 PM
It's called vaginitis

msstate7
05-09-2015, 09:35 PM
No idea, but throwing sexton 121 pitches today could be setting him up to be next. Back to back weekends we've overused Houston.

I'm not a fan of college coaches running these pitchers in the ground

yjnkdawg
05-09-2015, 09:58 PM
No idea, but throwing sexton 121 pitches today could be setting him up to be next. Back to back weekends we've overused Houston.

I'm not a fan of college coaches running these pitchers in the ground

This.... and I thought Coaches had dumped that idea, but apparently Cohen and Thompson didn't get the message.

engie
05-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Mental midgets throughout... And it comes back to some extent to our clear lack of conditioning IMO...

This thing has to be remade in the offseason. Extensively.

State82
05-09-2015, 10:18 PM
Mental midgets throughout... And it comes back to some extent to our clear lack of conditioning IMO...

This thing has to be remade in the offseason. Extensively.

Cohen pretty much alluded to this same idea in the post game interview.

messageboardsuperhero
05-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Want to hear some crazy statistics? We are being out scored 67-31 from the eighth inning to the end of games this season- and I'm not even sure if those numbers from the Athletics website include today's meltdown. We also have yet to win a baseball game by more than one run since April 3rd... We've also only won three games in the past month. Mental midgets is putting it kindly.

There must be some serious shit going on behind the scenes with this team right now, IMO. We do not have the bullpen or the stones to finish off games or be winners, and that's concerning going forward.

Bully13
05-09-2015, 10:26 PM
we have PU$$y coaches coaching pus$ies.. and the result speaks for itself.

Todd4State
05-09-2015, 10:44 PM
People talk about firing Cohen, but Brian Neal the S&C coach has to go. We have too many guys skipping out on workouts- and that costs you.

Now part of that is mental toughness on the part of our players. They are the ones that are skipping and are more concerned about hanging out at whatever bar than they are about getting better as a baseball player. Someone HAS to make the players work out. I would imagine that is the S&C coaches job or at least part of it. If they are faking injuries, we should start requiring players to have a doctor's excuse to miss a work out.

Part of the reason you work out as a player is to not only get stronger- but to also get more flexible to prevent injuries.

Todd4State
05-09-2015, 10:45 PM
Want to hear some crazy statistics? We are being out scored 67-31 from the eighth inning to the end of games this season- and I'm not even sure if those numbers from the Athletics website include today's meltdown. We also have yet to win a baseball game by more than one run since April 3rd... We've also only won three games in the past month. Mental midgets is putting it kindly.

There must be some serious shit going on behind the scenes with this team right now, IMO. We do not have the bullpen or the stones to finish off games or be winners, and that's concerning going forward.

I think "stones" is a personality trait that our staff has woefully misevaluated.

msstate7
05-09-2015, 10:48 PM
People talk about firing Cohen, but Brian Neal the S&C coach has to go. We have too many guys skipping out on workouts- and that costs you.

Now part of that is mental toughness on the part of our players. They are the ones that are skipping and are more concerned about hanging out at whatever bar than they are about getting better as a baseball player. Someone HAS to make the players work out. I would imagine that is the S&C coaches job or at least part of it. If they are faking injuries, we should start requiring players to have a doctor's excuse to miss a work out.

Part of the reason you work out as a player is to not only get stronger- but to also get more flexible to prevent injuries.

Or better yet get rid of the ones that are too lazy to work out and replace them with guys that are willing to put in the work to win

Todd4State
05-09-2015, 11:23 PM
Or better yet get rid of the ones that are too lazy to work out and replace them with guys that are willing to put in the work to win

I think it goes both ways. Sometimes it's just hard to work out everyday- but from personal experience, once I actually get my ass in the gym I'm OK and I'm usually glad I did it.

I would imagine it's the same with athletes. We need someone to make their ass get in the gym when they don't want to.

Alabama has that S&C coach named Scott Cochran that has to force their football players to work out or as I've heard him say "pay the price".

engie
05-09-2015, 11:34 PM
I think it goes both ways. Sometimes it's just hard to work out everyday- but from personal experience, once I actually get my ass in the gym I'm OK and I'm usually glad I did it.

I would imagine it's the same with athletes. We need someone to make their ass get in the gym when they don't want to.

Alabama has that S&C coach named Scott Cochran that has to force their football players to work out or as I've heard him say "pay the price".

Ultimately, it's still a failure across all levels of the program.

Cohen's failure for not running these fools off.
Neal's fault for not getting shit done and allowing these guys to constantly party their asses off to a ridiculous extent for guys that represent our school.
"Leaders'" fault for not leading by example and allowing it to happen. Could you imagine Dak in this situation? I can. And it paints a clear picture. The leaders should have culled these issues. Unless they, themselves contribute to the issues.
Individuals fault for not having the sense of pride and personal sacrifice to take care of their business today so they could be legends here or do this for a living tomorrow.

Any one of these being "right" prettymuch fixes all of the rest of them. Which is why it's so damn perplexing that it has been allowed to fall apart to this extent. The whole "process" is broken.

Todd4State
05-09-2015, 11:59 PM
Ultimately, it's still a failure across all levels of the program.

Cohen's failure for not running these fools off.
Neal's fault for not getting shit done and allowing these guys to constantly party their asses off to a ridiculous extent for guys that represent our school.
"Leaders'" fault for not leading by example and allowing it to happen. Could you imagine Dak in this situation? I can. And it paints a clear picture. The leaders should have culled these issues. Unless they, themselves contribute to the issues.
Individuals fault for not having the sense of pride and personal sacrifice to take care of their business today so they could be legends here or do this for a living tomorrow.

Any one of these being "right" prettymuch fixes all of the rest of them. Which is why it's so damn perplexing that it has been allowed to fall apart to this extent. The whole "process" is broken.

Exactly. It's not a coincidence that one of our team captains is the guy that came up with the beard power point.

RAYn_Man
05-10-2015, 12:58 AM

Are you serious? You really think an SEC athletic team has OPTIONAL workouts? These guys work out at least twice a week. And from the players I've talked to, Neal does really good job. So I don't think that's the issue.

sandwolf
05-10-2015, 01:13 AM

You mentioned this a few days ago and got the following response:

I've heard of two people skipping workouts in the past few weeks. One got kicked off the team, the other has to show up to 6:00am workouts for the rest of the season to not be kicked off the team. Has there been more besides that?

You never responded in that thread, so do you know of more than this?

Also, how does the fact that guys are skipping workouts mean that the S&C coach has to go? You make it sound like he is the one that decides how to best address the issue when something like that happens, which is absurd. If someone misses a workout, the S&C coach is going to report it to Cohen and he is the one that decides how to address it. We may need a new S&C coach, but it damn sure isn't because we have a bunch of players skipping workouts.......that falls squarely on Cohen.

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 01:20 AM
Are you serious? You really think an SEC athletic team has OPTIONAL workouts? These guys work out at least twice a week. And from the players I've talked to, Neal does really good job. So I don't think that's the issue.

I'm not saying that the workouts are optional at all. I'm saying that they need someone to motivate them to do them and not allow them to continue to make up excuses about being "hurt" and then skip the work outs.

I'm not surprised that the players like Neal- he lets them get away with what they want.

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 01:37 AM
You mentioned this a few days ago and got the following response:

You never responded in that thread, so do you know of more than this?

Also, how does the fact that guys are skipping workouts mean that the S&C coach has to go? You make it sound like he is the one that decides how to best address the issue when something like that happens, which is absurd. If someone misses a workout, the S&C coach is going to report it to Cohen and he is the one that decides how to address it. We may need a new S&C coach, but it damn sure isn't because we have a bunch of players skipping workouts.......that falls squarely on Cohen.

Obviously it all falls squarely on Cohen. Just like if you don't do your job at work it falls squarely on your boss. But that doesn't mean that they should not fire you for not doing your job.

All I have heard- and this has been said on here publically to back up what I have heard from others- is that what has been happening is players will sign a log saying that they are "injured" so that they can get out of working out. And it has gotten out of hand. Cohen is aware of it- but by the time he found out about it, it was too late to do anything about it since it was in season. This is why Paxton Stover is no longer on the team- and why Paul Young is basically out the door.

I'm not sure that people understand what the role of the S&C coach is. Obviously it's too coordinate work-outs and make sure the team is in shape. Part of that is motivating and doing whatever it takes to get the athletes to participate. Look- exercise is monotonous and it doesn't feel good all the time. And it makes people sore. Those are all things that most of us don't like to do- and sometimes it requires some motivation to do it.

Now, you are right that if the S&C coach has an issue with getting a player to participate it is the S&C coach's job to report that up the ladder to Cohen. However based on the rumor about Cohen just now hearing about players skipping out and faking injuries, that obviously wasn't being reported to him or more than likely this would have been settled a long time ago.

The S&C coach isn't supposed to be buddies with the players. And based on the fact that someone said that the players "like him" and the fact that he has been at least in part responsible for letting them slide he has a lot of responsibility with what is wrong in his arena.

As we have discussed tonight this is only one of the major issues that we have right now- and why major changes are needed. But I do believe that this is one of the biggest.

RAYn_Man
05-10-2015, 01:43 AM
Obviously it all falls squarely on Cohen. Just like if you don't do your job at work it falls squarely on your boss. But that doesn't mean that they should not fire you for not doing your job.

All I have heard- and this has been said on here publically to back up what I have heard from others- is that what has been happening is players will sign a log saying that they are "injured" so that they can get out of working out. And it has gotten out of hand. Cohen is aware of it- but by the time he found out about it, it was too late to do anything about it since it was in season. This is why Paxton Stover is no longer on the team- and why Paul Young is basically out the door.

I'm not sure that people understand what the role of the S&C coach is. Obviously it's too coordinate work-outs and make sure the team is in shape. Part of that is motivating and doing whatever it takes to get the athletes to participate. Look- exercise is monotonous and it doesn't feel good all the time. And it makes people sore. Those are all things that most of us don't like to do- and sometimes it requires some motivation to do it.

Now, you are right that if the S&C coach has an issue with getting a player to participate it is the S&C coach's job to report that up the ladder to Cohen. However based on the rumor about Cohen just now hearing about players skipping out and faking injuries, that obviously wasn't being reported to him or more than likely this would have been settled a long time ago.

The S&C coach isn't supposed to be buddies with the players. And based on the fact that someone said that the players "like him" and the fact that he has been at least in part responsible for letting them slide he has a lot of responsibility with what is wrong in his arena.

As we have discussed tonight this is only one of the major issues that we have right now- and why major changes are needed. But I do believe that this is one of the biggest.

I didn't say anything about the players liking him. I said that he does a good job. And I highly doubt there is an "Injury Log" that you sign. I would think we would be a little more advanced than that...

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 02:13 AM
I didn't say anything about the players liking him. I said that he does a good job. And I highly doubt there is an "Injury Log" that you sign. I would think we would be a little more advanced than that...

At any rate, the players seem to be OK with him. And what do our players know about S&C? They look way more out of shape than everyone else in the SEC and lead the league in nagging injuries.

Why would we need anything more advanced than a pen and paper? That's what we use in health care for consent forms for surgery and other procedures. And I work at one of the top hospitals in the country and the top rated one in the south. It's good policy to have a players actual signature on hand in case something comes up when it comes to documentation on injuries for many reasons.

I'm pretty shocked that anyone would be defending Brian Neal right now to be honest with you.

Furthermore, if our players were in shape and not performing- I highly doubt anyone would anyone would be pointing fingers at him.

dawgdawg
05-10-2015, 02:16 AM

Who/how the hell do you know guys on the team skip workouts because they're faking injuries? Last time I checked you/any of us posting on here go to their workouts every day and know how the players feel physically. And you're a complete idiot if you don't think the coaching staff/trainers are making every player on the team workout. These guys work their a**es off from day 1 and you're gonna get on a forum and post some bulls*** about players skipping workouts because they're more concerned with "hanging out at whatever bar"?

You're ignorant for saying stuff and making up excuses for why the team struggles this year. Heres a simpler excuse:
We're young with inexperienced pitchers out of the bullpen because Lindgren and Holder ate up a majority of the innings out of the pen last year. Getting those young guys on the mound this year and them getting kicked around and hit all over the place will benefit us in the future. Look back at 2010 when we went 23-33. Chris Stratton was a freshman and had a 5.29 ERA. He went on to be a first rounder and future big leaguer. Kendall Graveman was a freshman and had a 6.66 ERA - he's pitched in the bigs and will again soon. Chad Girodo had a 7.40 era and ended up being an all american his senior year. Ben Bracewell had a 5.50 ERA and proved valuable to use in the years after. One more, Caleb Reed had a 6.99 ERA but had a sub 2 ERA his senior year.

Its all about experience and learning from it when you fail. Houston and Hudson will be just like those guys if not better. Add Mintz, Tatum and D. Brown who've all shown flashes of being great to that list too. Those are the guys who get thrown out there in crappy situations this year and struggle a little bit but a year of experience does a lot of good.

Relax with the made up rumors and lies about faking injuries and skipping workouts. Its just a year of gaining experience. We're young and have a bright future. Humphreys, Rooker, Cole Gordon, C. Brown, Gridley, and Reynolds all sophomores or younger with little to no (gordon) experience but its not like they don't work hard like you claim they do.

From me (A kid in my early 20s) to you (probably some middle aged man), I'd like to say that I hope I'm not on a message board making stuff up about 18 - 22 year old college kids and how they "skip" workouts and "fake" injuries when I'm you're age. Have faith in the program, trust the process these guys go through day by day, and do us all a favor and quit posting BS about workouts and the team only being focused on the bar they wanna go to. Hell, all the bars in Starkville suck anyway! Have a nice day.

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 02:42 AM
Who/how the hell do you know guys on the team skip workouts because they're faking injuries? Last time I checked you/any of us posting on here go to their workouts every day and know how the players feel physically. And you're a complete idiot if you don't think the coaching staff/trainers are making every player on the team workout. These guys work their asses off from day 1 and you're gonna get on a forum and post some bullshit about players skipping workouts because they're more concerned with "hanging out at whatever bar"?

You're ignorant for saying stuff and making up excuses for why the team struggles this year. Heres a simpler excuse:
We're young with inexperienced pitchers out of the bullpen because Lindgren and Holder ate up a majority of the innings out of the pen last year. Getting those young guys on the mound this year and them getting kicked around and hit all over the place will benefit us in the future. Look back at 2010 when we went 23-33. Chris Stratton was a freshman and had a 5.29 ERA. He went on to be a first rounder and future big leaguer. Kendall Graveman was a freshman and had a 6.66 ERA - he's pitched in the bigs and will again soon. Chad Girodo had a 7.40 era and ended up being an all american his senior year. Ben Bracewell had a 5.50 ERA and proved valuable to use in the years after. One more, Caleb Reed had a 6.99 ERA but had a sub 2 ERA his senior year.

Its all about experience and learning from it when you fail. Houston and Hudson will be just like those guys if not better. Add Mintz, Tatum and D. Brown who've all shown flashes of being great to that list too. Those are the guys who get thrown out there in shit situations this year and struggle a little bit but a year of experience does a lot of good.

Relax with the made up rumors and lies about faking injuries and skipping workouts. Its just a year of gaining experience. We're young and have a bright future. Humphreys, Rooker, Cole Gordon, C. Brown, Gridley, and Reynolds all sophomores or younger with little to no (gordon) experience but its not like they don't work hard like you claim they do.

From a me (A kid in my early 20s) to you (probably some middle aged man), I'd like to say that I hope I'm not on a message board making stuff up about 18 - 22 year old college kids and how they "skip" workouts and "fake" injuries when I'm you're age. Have faith in the program, trust the process these guys go through day by day, and do us all a favor and quit posting BS about workouts and the team only being focused on the bar they wanna go to. Hell, all the bars in Starkville suck anyway! Have a nice day.

I don't know who you are on our team, but it's good to see one of you finally give a shit. Here's some motivation- don't skip workouts, and it will probably pay off in the form of wins and you won't have "some middle aged man" call you out on it.

I don't know that our team "knows" how to work hard. I'm sure they think that they do- but it's painfully obvious that they don't. I'm sure all of our players want to play in MLB- but they doesn't mean that they "know" how to get there.

I don't pretend to be at all the work outs- that doesn't change the FACT that Paxton Stover was kicked off the team for skipping work outs and Paul Young more than likely soon will as well. I guess the three to four people who have all told me the same story about players skipping work outs all got together to try to make me look like an ass? Highly doubtful. And not that it means anything, but it's interesting to me that this was the first year in a couple of years that the baseball team didn't put out a youtube video showing their workouts.

Do we have some young players? Sure. That doesn't make this season acceptable. At some point it's time to nut up and perform. We shouldn't have to wait until everyone is a junior to perform. That's wussy to be quite frank with you. I have faith in Cohen as a coach- but I'm not sure that I have faith that he hasn't lost the program and can turn it around. I hope he can. It's going to require major changes- and he's probably going to have to count on several freshmen to step up to do it. And that's always scary.

At any rate, you're not totally correct about our bullpen and their experience. Ross is a FIFTH year senior and Fitts is a senior. Ross has been a HUGE letdown. If we had the Ross that we had last year even- we're in a regional no question about it. Instead we have a gaping hole in our bullpen and are wondering about the direction of the program. In Ross's defense- we shouldn't have to rely on one player to be so vital. We have three JUCO's that we brought in- and NONE of them panned out. Daniel Brown looked good until he gave up a home run- and then he went into a shell. Logan Elliott has been MIA and I'm not sure if Butch even knows he is still on the team. Waddell hasn't done anything. And how do you defend the shit show that Preston Brown graced us with on Friday? He has only been here for FOUR years after all. As a matter of fact our sophomores pitched better over the weekend than our upperclassmen- save for Houston's shitting all over himself.

dawgdawg
05-10-2015, 03:08 AM
Lol I'm not on the team. I don't even go to state but I've been a die hard since I was born. But I completely agree with Cohen possibly losing the program. Something obviously has to change and that might be a change in coaching. We need players like a Papelbon or Will Clark who isn't afraid to get up there and compete balls to the wall with a eff you mentality. I felt like holder was that way. Maybe Houston is that guy. Maybe an incoming freshman is. But yes it's for sure not Ross Mitchell or Brown. Also I take it as a compliment you think I'm on the team I must sound like I know what I'm talking about lol. We need change no matter what. As long as I don't have to sit through this s*** again next year.

Todd4State
05-10-2015, 03:32 AM
Lol I'm not on the team. I don't even go to state but I've been a die hard since I was born. But I completely agree with Cohen possibly losing the program. Something obviously has to change and that might be a change in coaching. We need players like a Papelbon or Will Clark who isn't afraid to get up there and compete balls to the wall with a eff you mentality. I felt like holder was that way. Maybe Houston is that guy. Maybe an incoming freshman is. But yes it's for sure not Ross Mitchell or Brown. Also I take it as a compliment you think I'm on the team I must sound like I know what I'm talking about lol. We need change no matter what. As long as I don't have to sit through this s*** again next year.

One thing I have been fascinated with is athletes that succeed at a high level. If you look at the NFL top 100 players that they rated a few years ago- the top 10 (Montana, Rice, Payton, Butkus, Lawrence Taylor, Jim Brown, Unitas, Peyton, etc.) they ALL have some things in common. 1. Work ethic. 2. Extreme competitiveness 3. High intelligence. Notice I said nothing about athletic ability, although no doubt some of those players were freakish athletes. But not all- Montana, Rice ran a 4.7 40, Butkus was considered slow, etc.

Those three characteristics translate to excellence in all sports including baseball. As we saw from the Clark and Palmeiro documentary, there were extremely competitive players was Brantley. Players like that are too competitive to make excuses about being young and are driven to make themselves successful without motivation. They only care about winning and greatness. That's what we lack severely. Holder did maybe have it from the competitiveness standpoint- I don't think Houston has it at that level.

We have to find players that are competitive at that level to get back to where we want to be.

I seen it dawg
05-10-2015, 07:10 AM

It's the ****ing head coaches job to make the players do what he wants them to do!!!!!!!!!!! Wtf. He is in tune to every minute detail of the program because he sets those minute details. If he doesn't he needs to go to coaching select summer league and get the **** out of D1 baseball. What the ****ing ****.

I seen it dawg
05-10-2015, 07:12 AM
I think "stones" is a personality trait that our staff has woefully misevaluated.

Been yelling that shit all year. Lack of stones asy to see as Leo to State or Newman to State.

I seen it dawg
05-10-2015, 07:13 AM

Been yelling that shit all year. Lack of stones asy to see as Leo to State or Newman to State.

I seen it dawg
05-10-2015, 07:18 AM

****ing douchebag. Youre comical at best big guy.

engie
05-10-2015, 07:23 AM

If he is doing such a good job, where are the body transformations? S&C manifests itself in obvious ways when it's superior, especially in that first year. Ours hasn't only never been great, but has seemingly gotten worse.

maroonmania
05-10-2015, 08:04 AM
Who/how the hell do you know guys on the team skip workouts because they're faking injuries? Last time I checked you/any of us posting on here go to their workouts every day and know how the players feel physically. And you're a complete idiot if you don't think the coaching staff/trainers are making every player on the team workout. These guys work their a**es off from day 1 and you're gonna get on a forum and post some bulls*** about players skipping workouts because they're more concerned with "hanging out at whatever bar"?

Its all about experience and learning from it when you fail. Houston and Hudson will be just like those guys if not better. Add Mintz, Tatum and D. Brown who've all shown flashes of being great to that list too. Those are the guys who get thrown out there in crappy situations this year and struggle a little bit but a year of experience does a lot of good.

From me (A kid in my early 20s) to you (probably some middle aged man), I'd like to say that I hope I'm not on a message board making stuff up about 18 - 22 year old college kids and how they "skip" workouts and "fake" injuries when I'm you're age. Have faith in the program, trust the process these guys go through day by day, and do us all a favor and quit posting BS about workouts and the team only being focused on the bar they wanna go to. Hell, all the bars in Starkville suck anyway! Have a nice day.

To me that is somewhat weak to blame a year THIS bad totally on youth and inexperience. That might be an excuse for a slight dip but not for this disaster, and we DO have juniors and seniors on this team not performing as well. And do you think LSU would have the program they have if they were always waiting on guys to be JRs and SRs before expecting them to perform at a high level? Absolutely not. The biggest failure we've had under Cohen and Butch is lack of productivity from almost all FR and a majority of SOs especially in the pitching department but also hitting as well.

dawgdawg
05-10-2015, 10:06 AM
****ing douchebag. Youre comical at best big guy.

Thanks?