PDA

View Full Version : EPL Update Thread: Relegation Fights

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Gents, we're in the final 3 weeks and the relegation fights have reached the critical stages. Sunderland won 2-0 over Everton in the early game today, vaulting them from 18 to 14 and dropping Hull from 17 to 18.

Hull is battling Burnley today and desperately needs the W to avoid relegation. It's currently 0-0 at the half. Both teams had a few chances, but neither could capitalize. Hull has come closest with a free kick off the crossbar. Hull has really pushed the action playing for the W, giving Burnley a few counter attack opportunities.

Liverpooldawg
05-09-2015, 12:17 PM
At the happy end of the spectrum Bournemouth will play in the top tier for the first time ever next year. They were nearly relegated out of the football league (top four tiers) 5 years ago. Promotion and relegation is one of the things that make club soccer. I wish the MLS and the other North American leagues would do it. It will never happen.

Liverpooldawg
05-09-2015, 12:24 PM
One of the Semis in the Championship playoff is between bitter East Anglian Derby rivals Norwich City and Ipswich Town. I'm supposed to be in Norwich for a couple of days during the run up for the second leg at Carrow Road. I would love to go if I could get a ticket but unfortunately I have to leave town about 3 hours prior to kick off. With it being a Derby and with so much at stake I probably couldn't get a ticket anyway.

Edited to add: The first leg finished 1-1 at Portman Road. The second leg will be intense. I wish we were leaving town the NEXT day now for sure.

DudyDawg
05-09-2015, 01:06 PM
My team, burnley, have officially been relegated. Sad day. They never had a chance

dickiedawg
05-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Leicester City look to be headed for safety after an incredible six-week stretch thats seen 6 wins in 7 tries, the only loss coming to the league champions. We now sit 15th but the work is far from done. We're 8 points clear of 19th but it's going to be a fight to avoid 18th as 4 points separate the 18th and 14th teams.
Assuming the Foxes survive, no team has ever spent as many weeks at the bottom of the table as we did and avoided relegation. Doesn't exactly sound like a dream season, but since the calendar changed to April it's been fun, fun, fun.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2015, 02:04 PM
My team, burnley, have officially been relegated. Sad day. They never had a chance

And you bastards all but sealed our fate by not playing dead today. Why, oh why, was I given Hull City to follow? I'm invested in them now and see the potential. But they seem to take pleasure in getting my hopes up just enough to crush them. Yet another MSU-esque team I root for.

TheRef
05-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Leicester City look to be headed for safety after an incredible six-week stretch thats seen 6 wins in 7 tries, the only loss coming to the league champions. We now sit 15th but the work is far from done. We're 8 points clear of 19th but it's going to be a fight to avoid 18th as 4 points separate the 18th and 14th teams.
Assuming the Foxes survive, no team has ever spent as many weeks at the bottom of the table as we did and avoided relegation. Doesn't exactly sound like a dream season, but since the calendar changed to April it's been fun, fun, fun.

This has definitely been a fun, gritty squad to watch. I look forward to watching these men battle it out in the BPL next year if we are so lucky. If we win next week, we're basically for sure safe. If we draw, we need points. Also, we need to up our Goal Differential for sure.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Why, oh why, was I given Hull City to follow? I'm invested in them now and see the potential. But they seem to take pleasure in getting my hopes up just enough to crush them. Yet another MSU-esque team I root for.
This is how I feel about Newcastle now. The difference is that Newcastle has the resources and fanbase to actually be one of the top 8 teams in the league every year. I picked up a team with a losing culture going back to the freaking 1940s.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2015, 08:04 PM
This is how I feel about Newcastle now. The difference is that Newcastle has the resources and fanbase to actually be one of the top 8 teams in the league every year. I picked up a team with a losing culture going back to the freaking 1940s.

It's been a really shitty sports day for me. If the Grizz lose, I may need a new TV. And to be fair, Hull has been decimated with injuries. Snodgrass down for the season after two games, Jelavic with 2 separate 6+ week injuries, losing Diame for the season, Dawson out a few weeks, etc. And Huddlestone was garbage all season.

Liverpooldawg
05-09-2015, 10:22 PM
To me Newcastle has always been the biggest enigma in English football. They are a HUGE club. They should be better than they are.

War Machine Dawg
05-09-2015, 10:38 PM

To me Newcastle has always been the biggest enigma in English football. They are a HUGE club. They should be better than they are.

Sounds like an ownership problem. As in, ownership isn't committed to winning. They put a product on the field that just decent enough to keep the fans coming and money flowing but is never truly competitive in terms of competing for championships, despite having the resources.

Liverpooldawg
05-09-2015, 10:44 PM
The ownership has changed several times since I have been following the EPL over the last 20 years. The enigma that is Newcastle remains.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Sounds like an ownership problem. As in, ownership isn't committed to winning. They put a product on the field that just decent enough to keep the fans coming and money flowing but is never truly competitive in terms of competing for championships, despite having the resources.

Well at the moment, what War Machine Dog said is exactly the problem. I have no idea if it's always been that way or not, but it has been since Mike Ashley has been owner