PDA

View Full Version : I'll bet we are the only team in USA that has a cleanup hitter

tcdog70
05-08-2015, 11:53 AM
with only 8 RBIs. Cannot understand batting Robson 4th behind Wes. If they both get on base the Wes stops Robson's speed. Why not bat him 1st let him run . As the 1st batter he might even get an extra bat. His biggest advantage is he can disrupt a Pitcher by His speed.

Coach34
05-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Because we are smarter than everyone else- duh

maroonmania
05-08-2015, 11:56 AM
with only 8 RBIs. Cannot understand batting Robson 4th behind Wes. If they both get on base the Wes stops Robson's speed. Why not bat him 1st let him run . As the 1st batter he might even get an extra bat. His biggest advantage is he can disrupt a Pitcher by His speed.

I have to agree here and have thought for a while that putting a lead off type guy in the 4 hole is just idiotic. And THEN, to make matters worse, placing the SLOWEST guy on the team in the batting order in front of the FASTEST guy on the team is just beyond retarded. Nothing like letting Rea clog the bases in front of Robson, yea, real smart.

confucius say
05-08-2015, 11:59 AM
Cohen is tryin to out think the room on that one. Several coaches use the 6 hole as a second leadoff, but never seen the 4 hole used that way.

basedog
05-08-2015, 12:10 PM
Never ever have I thought or said this until now, I can't wait for football to start and move along with this baseball stuff.

Bottom 5 worse teams in Msu history to say the least.

Oh, maybe this has been discussed, why were our outfielders playing in with 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th with a man on 2nd? I thought with 2 outs the outfield will play normal depth. I realize the theory is a ball hit to one of the outfielders is to get to it quickly and try and throw out runner, I was somewhat confused, didn't realize coaches did that with 2 outs?

CadaverDawg
05-08-2015, 12:38 PM

It actually makes sense to bat Robson ahead of Humphreys, because it forces pitchers to throw Hump more fastballs if Robson reaches base ahead of him. (Bc Robson can steal easier on breaking balls)

That being said, it definitely makes no sense to bat Rea before Robson to potentially negate his speed by having Rea one base ahead of him.

But then again, the way we run bases, it really makes no difference. To be a "small ball team", we're horrible at small ball and base running, which are the keys to a good small ball team...if there is such a thing as a "good small ball team".

I liked having Rea, Rooker, Collins, and Hump in the lineup last night. I wish Cody Brown could have been in there too. Rooker not being a constant in the lineup this year is a crime. We clearly have a nucleus next year in Collins, Humphreys, Rooker, Robson, at the plate...& Sexton, Brown, Houston, Hudson on the mound. Now, will we be able to add to that? Because that won't be enough by itself.

ScottH
05-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Oh, maybe this has been discussed, why were our outfielders playing in with 2 outs in the bottom of the 8th with a man on 2nd? I thought with 2 outs the outfield will play normal depth. I realize the theory is a ball hit to one of the outfielders is to get to it quickly and try and throw out runner, I was somewhat confused, didn't realize coaches did that with 2 outs?

In our effort to out think the world, we have adopted a modified short field position from softball as yet another game losing tactic.

Political Hack
05-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Rea on first with a weak hitter behind him = automatic DP. I think Cohen out speed behind him to protect him.

tcdog70
05-08-2015, 02:10 PM
we need Robson on base with either Rea-Hump or Brown hitting behind Him. Because they are our only hitters that can drive a run home fairly often. Robson needs to attempt to steal every time he is on base.

Original48
05-08-2015, 02:12 PM
I will also bet we have more sub .250 hitters in the lineup than anyone in the country...5 last night. Not a big surprise as we only have three hitters in the .300's. None above .350. This is seriously mind numbing.

War Machine Dawg
05-08-2015, 02:42 PM
It actually makes sense to bat Robson ahead of Humphreys, because it forces pitchers to throw Hump more fastballs if Robson reaches base ahead of him. (Bc Robson can steal easier on breaking balls)

That being said, it definitely makes no sense to bat Rea before Robson to potentially negate his speed by having Rea one base ahead of him.

But then again, the way we run bases, it really makes no difference. To be a "small ball team", we're horrible at small ball and base running, which are the keys to a good small ball team...if there is such a thing as a "good small ball team".

I liked having Rea, Rooker, Collins, and Hump in the lineup last night. I wish Cody Brown could have been in there too. Rooker not being a constant in the lineup this year is a crime. We clearly have a nucleus next year in Collins, Humphreys, Rooker, Robson, at the plate...& Sexton, Brown, Houston, Hudson on the mound. Now, will we be able to add to that? Because that won't be enough by itself.

We aren't a "small ball" team. We're a "Cohen ball" team. There's a difference. Small ball teams steal and use the hit-and-run. We just ****ing bunt. #Cohening