PDA

View Full Version : Should we run a nickle defense as our base defense?

Todd4State
05-06-2015, 08:39 PM
A lot of NFL teams are doing this because of all of passing and the spread. I think that if we start Zach Jackson, he will be a huge liability for us.

I'm thinking:

DE- AJ
DT- Nick James
DT- Chris Jones
DE- Ryan Brown
LB- Beniquez Brown
LB- Richie Brown
Nickle- Cedric Jiles
S- Peters
S- Market hopefully
CB- Redmond
CB- Calhoun

I think that Traver Jung is a huge wild card. I like his film, but I'm not sure if he will be able to learn enough to climb up the depth chart. I'm also liking JT Gray- and I think Gray should start against teams like Alabama and LSU that are more traditional offenses.

bulldawg28
05-06-2015, 08:42 PM
No. That lineup would be crushed against the run.

smootness
05-06-2015, 08:47 PM
No. Just start someone better than Zach Jackson.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-06-2015, 08:51 PM
No & Kivon Coman will start & be our best safety.

confucius say
05-06-2015, 09:34 PM
In third down packages, sure. Not sure about as our base defense. You give up run stopping ability in favor of more speed on the field. When we had wells as will linebacker it was like having a third safety in the game anyway. Zach jackson and jt gray are similar type players as wells in that they are undersized backers who can run.

Political Hack
05-06-2015, 09:49 PM
I liked Coman in the spring game. thought he got the ball quick and made plays.

that lineup could be pretty solid on 3rd & 5+.

mic
05-06-2015, 09:58 PM
There will be a lot of different looks our defense throws at teams this year.. It doesn't matter who will play in Wells spot this year it will be downgrade... Not saying Jung, Gray, Jackson Ect. Aren't going to make plays or play bad but Wells was very good.
Best thing is Diaz >>>>>> Collins

Dawg61
05-06-2015, 09:58 PM
I am a huge fan of the nickel D. I think it gives your defense more flexibility to be creative and with zone mixed in with blitzing from any position. It's a faster more confusing more aggressive style D that can go from a 2-4-5 to a 3-3-5 to a 4-2-5 look. Billion different blitz possibilities with that type of freedom. It confuses the QB.

Todd4State
05-06-2015, 10:18 PM
I liked Coman in the spring game. thought he got the ball quick and made plays.

that lineup could be pretty solid on 3rd & 5+.

Or against a pass heavy team like Texas A&M. We could certainly bring in a more traditional LB against LSU, Arkansas, Alabama, etc.

Todd4State
05-06-2015, 10:19 PM
No & Kivon Coman will start & be our best safety.

How is Market coming along?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-06-2015, 10:57 PM
How is Market coming along?

Rehab is going well but we won't have a real indication until August & fall camp rolls around.

TUSK
05-06-2015, 11:55 PM
for Bammer I would recommend this:

1. foremost, you'll need a 4 or 5 man front to stop what My Dark Lord likes most... the run... as Coach34 says, "RTGDF!"... if you question Bama's run game, please skip the remaining points and tune back in to SEC softball.

2. next, you're gonna want to put a spy on the QB... while he won't be a RB like Sims was, Coker is very mobile, and can run well, and throw MUCH better...

3. in the secondary, I'd run a cover 3 with press man coverage and corner blitzes on most downs... also, keep an extra guy back in case we have to kick a late game FG for the win

4. don't get in a Punting game with us.

GTHOM
05-07-2015, 02:16 AM
Against auburn, a&m, ole miss, you have to be in the nickel mostly anyways.

i would be okay with it if we can be multiple out of it and our front is nasty enough to handle the run game

thf24
05-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Not sure why everyone seems convinced Jackson is a liability. Yeah, when he was subbed directly into Wells' spot with zero scheme changes and given the same responsibilities last year, of course he got burned in coverage. Not many players in college football wouldn't get abused in some way when inserted into that scenario. Jackson isn't All-SEC or anything, but put him at the weak side in an actual 4-3 instead of a highly specialized role not designed for him in last year's defense, which was actually more like a 4-2-5 in many respects, and he'll be just fine.

Dawg Corps
05-07-2015, 08:29 AM
... also, keep an extra guy back in case we have to kick a late game FG for the win

I got a good laugh out of that.

Homedawg
05-07-2015, 09:18 AM
for Bammer I would recommend this:

1. foremost, you'll need a 4 or 5 man front to stop what My Dark Lord likes most... the run... as Coach34 says, "RTGDF!"... if you question Bama's run game, please skip the remaining points and tune back in to SEC softball.

2. next, you're gonna want to put a spy on the QB... while he won't be a RB like Sims was, Coker is very mobile, and can run well, and throw MUCH better...

3. in the secondary, I'd run a cover 3 with press man coverage and corner blitzes on most downs... also, keep an extra guy back in case we have to kick a late game FG for the win

4. don't get in a Punting game with us.

So.....run a cover 3, w press man and corner blitzes???? How many defenders do we get to play with? 14?

Maroons
05-07-2015, 10:11 AM
We shouldn't just assume that Wells' spot will be used in the same way. He gave us the ability to cover the slot with a 4-3 look, but we might not attempt to do that anymore without his skill set.

Coach34
05-07-2015, 10:14 AM
If we are playing A&M, Ole Missus, or Auburn I would- but otherwise no.

Peters wont be starting until late Oct or early November- if at all

Against and LSU or Bammer- I'd play Green and Brown Brothers as my 3 LB's on run downs

TUSK
05-07-2015, 01:09 PM
So.....run a cover 3, w press man and corner blitzes???? How many defenders do we get to play with? 14?

yes.

I'm glad someone picked up on that....

tcdog70
05-07-2015, 02:08 PM
How about trusting Diaz to run a defense based on the team we are playing. can't run the same defense against The Hogs as you do against Auburn. And Diaz might have to adjust at half time. I think we have the talent to run multiple defense with different packages.

Where'sWaldo
05-07-2015, 02:12 PM
Not sure why everyone seems convinced Jackson is a liability. Yeah, when he was subbed directly into Wells' spot with zero scheme changes and given the same responsibilities last year, of course he got burned in coverage. Not many players in college football wouldn't get abused in some way when inserted into that scenario. Jackson isn't All-SEC or anything, but put him at the weak side in an actual 4-3 instead of a highly specialized role not designed for him in last year's defense, which was actually more like a 4-2-5 in many respects, and he'll be just fine.

He repeatedly got torched last year but I was willing to give him another shot. Then he got burned in the spring game by Gus Walley for a touchdown and I officially cut him off. JT Gray has to be the starter at that position.

HancockCountyDog
05-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Rehab is going well but we won't have a real indication until August & fall camp rolls around.

Im not expecting a whole lot. Jay wasn't full speed from his achilles until a few games into the season in my opinion and his injury was in August/September. Kendrick's was in late November.

Ive always been told Achilles take a full 9 months to recover from and then another 3 months to really get back up to speed. There are few injuries worse for a high caliber athlete to incur. Just hate it for the kid, because he has put it all on the line for MSU.

thf24
05-07-2015, 02:43 PM
He repeatedly got torched last year but I was willing to give him another shot. Then he got burned in the spring game by Gus Walley for a touchdown and I officially cut him off. JT Gray has to be the starter at that position.

In his defense there, Walley is a tough matchup for a linebacker. I do agree with you that Gray should start over him though.

1bigdawg
05-07-2015, 09:41 PM
ON PLAYING WITH 14 ON DEFENSE

yes. I'm glad someone picked up on that....
TUSK: You forget that only you guys can get away with that without it being called.**?

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Hell no. Nickel D gets murdered against the run. And teams still run the ball to be successful in college football generally, but particularly in the SEC and the SECW. Think about it: The traditional 3 "big boys" in the West are Bama, LSU, Auburn. They are ALL power running teams. UPig is also a power running team. Only TSUN and aTm in the West would be finesse, pass-first teams. Load up against the run and force teams to beat us throwing. If anything, I'd start JT Gray over Jackson. He's the next Matt Wells, imo. But I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us load up with the Browns and Gerri/Dez against Bama, LSU, Auburn, and UPig. Go heavy and sell out to stop the run.

I also agree with those who are talking up Kivon Coman. I've been big on him since last fall. Yeah, he got burned some. Nature of the beast. But he looked really good for a freshman and made some big plays coming down the stretch. He's definitely more of a run support S than a pass coverage S, but that's easy to scheme around and true for most SS types in today's game.

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Im not expecting a whole lot. Jay wasn't full speed from his achilles until a few games into the season in my opinion and his injury was in August/September. Kendrick's was in late November.

Ive always been told Achilles take a full 9 months to recover from and then another 3 months to really get back up to speed. There are few injuries worse for a high caliber athlete to incur. Just hate it for the kid, because he has put it all on the line for MSU.

I said it about Hughes, so I gotta say it about My Dawg Market: He won't be the same player when he returns. Achilles' tears are one of those injuries modern medicine still hasn't been able to develop a successful rehab for the way it has ACL tears. It's not a career ender per se, but most guys come back at least a step slower and sometimes more. One of my good buddies is a doctor and he tells me it's basically a blood flow issue with the Achilles'. I hate it for Market, because he played his guts out for us and bleeds maroon the way I do. You can't grow up as a State fan in Batesville and be any other way. I speak from personal experience. Nothing would make me happier than for Market to prove me wrong and be one of the few freaks capable of coming all the way back from an Achilles' injury.

Todd4State
05-08-2015, 12:40 AM
ON PLAYING WITH 14 ON DEFENSE

TUSK: You forget that only you guys can get away with that without it being called.**?

Off topic- that reminds me of the time Tennessee accidentally did that against LSU on a goal line stand and I thought the game was over- and then they stopped rolling the credits.

archdog
05-08-2015, 11:05 AM
And Diaz might have to adjust at half time. I think we have the talent to run multiple defense with different packages.

I thought adjustments at halftime were against the rules. What a new world we are entering here.