PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else think a 1-6 start is a real possibility for OM?

blacklistedbully
07-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Been absorbing all this OM hype, but when looking at their schedule I see:

@ Vandy (Vandy is playing well under Franklin. OM has lost to Vandy 5 of last 6 years)
SE Mizzou State (Sacrificial lamb)
@ Texas (UT will be favored)
@ Alabama (Blowout)
@ Auburn (Malzahn back and they have better overall athletes. AU has Western Carolina after, so won't be distracted in prep. OM sandwiches this game with Bama & TAMU)
TAMU (Doubt we'll see OM enjoy a +4 t/o margin to keep it close)
LSU

Other than SEMS which would you put your hard-earned money on Ole Miss to win?

Rick Danko
07-02-2013, 06:43 PM
In all honesty, and I would love to eat crow on this, I could see wins at vandy, auburn, and Texas... Not saying that will happen one bit but just stating if it did I would not be shocked like some others.

Vandownbytheriver
07-02-2013, 06:52 PM
In all honesty, and I would love to eat crow on this, I could see wins at vandy, auburn, and Texas... Not saying that will happen one bit but just stating if it did I would not be shocked like some others.

I honestly think they are at 3-4 after that stretch. They take two from Auburn, Texas, and Vandy. Like you I sure as hell hope not.

CadaverDawg
07-02-2013, 06:54 PM
I could see them beating the teams Danko just mentioned, and I could see them losing all 6. The most likely wins are Vandy and Auburn in my opinion. I hope they lose all 6 and their team full of egos implodes. They deserve a shitastic after hyping a 6-6 season up so much. A nice 4-8 season couldn't happen to a better group of people.

msstate7
07-02-2013, 06:55 PM

Really wonder how good Wallace and Johnson will be for the vandy game. I think vandy wins

CadaverDawg
07-02-2013, 06:56 PM
I honestly think they are at 3-4 after that stretch. They take two from Auburn, Texas, and Vandy. Like you I sure as hell hope not.

I tend to agree.

The question is, where will their other 7 wins come from that Cowherd and their fans predict? They will only have 5 more regular season games!*

Coach34
07-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Possible? Yes, highly unlikely.

Vandy is intriguing without a doubt. That game will really set the tone. If Vandy pulls it off, alot of air comes out of that balloon. I think 1-6 is obviously best case scenario, with worst case being 4-3. I don't think they will beat Bama, Texas, or A&M

Vandy is a toss-up, Auburn is a toss-up, and LSU will be a toss-up. Can they win all their toss-up games??? I doubt it.

I personally think they come out if that stretch 3-4 then lose the Egg Bowl to finish 7-5

CadaverDawg
07-02-2013, 07:07 PM
That's my thing....all of these idiots want to predict that Ole Miss wins 9 or 10 Regular Season games this year, yet most people say they will be fortunate to be 3-3 through 6 games. Well, if they are 3-3 they will only have 6 more games left, which means they have to win out to reach 9. Like Coach said...possible? Maybe....likely? Hell no. It's much more likely that they go 7-5 or 6-6 than 9-3 or 10-2 like a lot of their yahoos are predicting.

mic
07-02-2013, 07:07 PM
if they start 1-4 then yes the team may quit.. they better go at worse 2-3 over the first 5 and that may still let A LOT of air out of their season.. that vandy game is very similar to our Aubie game a couple years ago.. could be a season MO game right out of the gates.. I agree with Coach I see a 3-4 out of those first 7 and a 7-5 overall with egg bowl loss..

bully3
07-02-2013, 07:13 PM
2-5 is my prediction at that point. And that is ONLY if Bo Wallace stays healthy. If he goes down, they are toast.

Rick Danko
07-02-2013, 08:29 PM
All good points thus far... But it's for sure they over achieved last year with under sized players... One years experience will help... Couple that with a top 5 class that has at least 2 players who get playing time based on talent (kardashian and possibly treadwell or tunsil) and they may suprise folks... Hope like hell I'm wrong would love nothing better than 4-8 to shut their asses up.

msstate7
07-02-2013, 08:35 PM
I want em 5-6 when they roll into Starkville. I want a redo of last year

Coach34
07-02-2013, 08:44 PM
All good points thus far... But it's for sure they over achieved last year with under sized players... One years experience will help... Couple that with a top 5 class that has at least 2 players who get playing time based on talent (kardashian and possibly treadwell or tunsil) and they may suprise folks... Hope like hell I'm wrong would love nothing better than 4-8 to shut their asses up.

The unknown is that their swing games are on the road- Vandy, Auburn, State...Vandy is going to be solid and at home....Auburn will be improved and at home- should be a close game...Home team wins the Egg Bowl these days...

Texas is not a winnable game for them on the road- Texas returns something like 19 starters and should compete for the NC...having them and Bama in a row is rough

HancockCountyDog
07-02-2013, 09:00 PM

@ Vandy (Vandy is playing well under Franklin. OM has lost to Vandy 5 of last 6 years)
@ Alabama (Blowout)What time do you think you will be home?
@ Auburn (Malzahn back and they have better overall athletes. AU has Western Carolina after, so won't be distracted in prep. OM sandwiches this game with Bama & TAMU)
LSU

Short answer - absolutely

Homedawg
07-02-2013, 09:12 PM

@ Alabama (Blowout)
LSU

not a chance. But we can hope.

Coach34
07-02-2013, 09:14 PM
I say the key is Vandy...lose to Vandy, Bammer, and then Texas...sitting at 1-3 headed to Auburn for a must-win will be tough to fight that pressure.

Political Hack
07-02-2013, 10:11 PM
they better be able to win on the road with a QB who can't lift his throwing arm.

Todd4State
07-02-2013, 10:45 PM
they better be able to win on the road with a QB who can't lift his throwing arm.

You really have to wonder how long he can go. I think they pretty much forced him to be out there because even with a hurt arm, he was the best they had.

ckDOG
07-02-2013, 11:21 PM
I do. They max at 3 wins in that stretch. 2/3 is likely. 1 is not out of the question. They don't have a confidence building schedule at all.

Pollodawg
07-03-2013, 08:44 AM
If they do start 1-6, a bowl repeat is basically kaput. However, I don't think they start 1-6. I think the get at least two out of that stretch.

FISHDAWG
07-03-2013, 08:52 AM

I have had 2 shoulder surgeries from HS football ( major - install then removal of a pin ) .... with therapy, Wallace will have plenty of time to rehab the shoulder and it will probably be as strong as before ... so, forget about Wallace being impeded this fall

Dawgdom
07-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Ole Miss is a fine academic institution...Now with that out of the way...1-6 would bring much joy to my Maroon heart.

I see Wallace flaming out from game one...

Bully13
07-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Sorry to sound sixpackish but they really looked good overall to me last year. Finished strong too. What am I missing?

Pollodawg
07-03-2013, 09:02 AM
Sorry to sound sixpackish but they really looked good overall to me last year. Finished strong too. What am I missing?

There is an entire off season to go through, plus a major shoulder surgery for their starting QB. How they finished last season is irrelevant. People place way too much emphasis on how a team finishes. Hell, we'll use OM has an example. They beat a good Okie Lite team in the Cotton Bowl to round out the 2009 season. Got beat at home by Jacksonville State to open 2010. And they pulled in a top fifteen class in between those two seasons..

Homedawg
07-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Agree. I'll get blasted and hope I'm wrong but I think the odds are greater they are 4-3 than 1-6 after 7. Fire away at me.

Coach34
07-03-2013, 09:52 AM
There is an entire off season to go through, plus a major shoulder surgery for their starting QB. How they finished last season is irrelevant. People place way too much emphasis on how a team finishes. Hell, we'll use OM has an example. They beat a good Okie Lite team in the Cotton Bowl to round out the 2009 season. Got beat at home by Jacksonville State to open 2010. And they pulled in a top fifteen class in between those two seasons..

ahhhhhh yes, 2010- the beginning of "Mullen cant recruit"

2009 Cotton Bowl win, followed by an 18th ranked recruiting class to our 38th (per Rivals), and then a 2010 opening game loss to Jacksonville St

I dont think they fall flat like that. But for some reason people forget they got da **** beat out of them by Texas, Alabama, and Georgia last year. Best 6-6 season evahhhh!!!! Down the stretch last year they got blown out by Georgia, Blew a game at home vs Vandy, played LSU tough as they commonly do, won at home vs us, and blew out a shitty Pitt team in the bowl game. But to hear the tales, they won 5-6 down the stretch and are steamrolling toward the BCS this year.

fishwater99
07-03-2013, 09:52 AM
I see a 2-5 or 3-4 start.. No way they start 1-6, but it's wishful thinking...

Coach34
07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
No way they start 1-6, but it's wishful thinking...

That's saying that they have no chance to lose to both Vandy and Auburn on the road then

Vandy has 4 weeks to prepare for them
Auburn has the week off to get ready for them also

MSUDawg4Life
07-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Possible, but not probable.

I would love to see it happen though.

fishwater99
07-03-2013, 10:17 AM
I think they start 2-0, they could lose the next 5 easily though...

mic
07-03-2013, 11:00 AM

They went 2-3 over their last 5 games. which included a blowout loss at UGA. They beat a horrible Pitt team in a meaningless Bowl game that Pitt didn't want to be in and beat a MSU team for what ever reason seemed like it didn't want to be there. Esp in the 2nd half.
that's what you are missing..

Pollodawg
07-03-2013, 11:27 AM
That was the most disinterested looking State team I have seen in a while second half at the EB.

sorantable
07-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Wallace is really the key. If he is healthy and improves even a little bit on his decision making, Ole Miss comes out strong. If he's not healthy and he continues to be careless with his decision-making, Ole Miss will struggle to replicate even last year's success.

Todd4State
07-03-2013, 11:50 AM
That's saying that they have no chance to lose to both Vandy and Auburn on the road then

Vandy has 4 weeks to prepare for them
Auburn has the week off to get ready for them also

And the thing about Vandy that EVERYBODY forgets is the Commodores KNOW that if they have any chance at going to a bowl- they HAVE to beat Ole Miss. Their formula is win the four non-conference games and then beat Ole Miss and Kentucky. Anything else is gravy. They're going to put a lot of emphasis on the Ole Miss game like they do every year.

If they lose to Ole Miss, it puts them behind the 8 ball.

Todd4State
07-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I have had 2 shoulder surgeries from HS football ( major - install then removal of a pin ) .... with therapy, Wallace will have plenty of time to rehab the shoulder and it will probably be as strong as before ... so, forget about Wallace being impeded this fall

A few things:

1. Did your MD say "OK, Mr. Fishwater now go on out in the fall and get the crap knocked out of you by 250-300 pound football players." Maybe you did- you did say it was a HS football injury.

2. The shoulder is the most unstable joint in the body.

3. Like I tell the OT students- do NOT make the mistake of comparing yourself or patients with the same diagnosis to each other. We all heal differently and injuries can vary in severity among other things.

msstate7
07-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I think they start 2-0, they could lose the next 5 easily though...

I think they start the season like did going into the Alabama game last year. They believe they're big time. If vandy beats them, they could start the season like we ended it

Coach34
07-03-2013, 12:52 PM
I know I'm repeating myself- but Vandy and Auburn are the keys:

Vandy has 4 weeks to get ready for them- Vandy's LB's and Secondary will be damn good- they do have some questions on the DL. But they will be ready

Auburn has the week off before playing OM- while OM is playing Alabama. Gus with 2 weeks to get ready for their defense should help him a good bit- and ol EJ should have a good plan with 2 weeks to get ready also. Plus playing at home is big for Auburn....,

Gonna be interesting to watch...I cant wait for football to get here

Political Hack
07-03-2013, 01:14 PM
I cracked the head of my humerus when putting my shoulder back in place myself on the side of a mountain. Ripped my biceps tendon in half along with everything north of it. I was looking at my elbow when I woke up. It's been almost ten years and I still can't throw a football or baseball like I used to. I have to short arm everything... look like a 2nd baseman tossing it to 1st.

Every shoulder is different, but there's no way I could've come back to being the same athlete I was before. Not to mention having to get drilled and fallen on by Nick James.

Spider-Man
07-03-2013, 01:29 PM
At best they are 3-4 with victories over Vandy, SEMO, and Auburn. Both Auburn and Vandy are on the road too. They will lose at least one. I expect 2-5 and for their bi-polar fanbase to be in full force.

FISHDAWG
07-03-2013, 01:55 PM
deleted - moved

FISHDAWG
07-03-2013, 02:05 PM
I had a pin the size of a fence post staple put in me and in 5 months my shoulder was completely healed ... that was the "old" type of surgery with a scaple ... most shoulder surgeries today are done arthroscopicly which is much much easier to recover from ... did not play in college although I was contemplating JCJC ... instead I was in boot camp that fall ... I could be wrong (I am all the time) but I would bet that Wallaces shoulder wont be a problem

Oxfordawg
07-03-2013, 02:07 PM
I had a torn labrum at 22 I've never been able to throw the same since it's a tricky injury my body says I'm good till I let loose then it feels like they forgot and sowed the knife in

Coach34
07-03-2013, 02:39 PM
I feel like Wallace will be ok- the only thing I'd watch for is his strength back fully to put the zip on the ball he needs down the field

bulldawg28
07-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Wallace hasn't been cleared to go full speed a nd it's 1 month till practice starts. The rebels should be worried.

Coach34
07-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Another thing is the collective toll on a player. Wallace got knocked out of a couple of games last year- nothing real serious and he ended up returning- but he took a beating at times. He is not a physical player. The collective toll on getting hit could be a factor this year- if you think back to the beating Relf took and its toll on him.

Just something else to watch for in 2013

Oxfordawg
07-03-2013, 11:38 PM
So was the Brunetti arrest legit? If so who plays if Bo can't go?

blacklistedbully
07-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Another thing is the collective toll on a player. Wallace got knocked out of a couple of games last year- nothing real serious and he ended up returning- but he took a beating at times. He is not a physical player. The collective toll on getting hit could be a factor this year- if you think back to the beating Relf took and its toll on him.

Just something else to watch for in 2013

Anybody else remember what happened to John Bond? One of the best ever, but dude got beat to hell. We were not the same with him hurting from the constant beatings he took. Wallace doesn't take as bad a beating, but he also is not as much of a stud as JB was.

Miles4MSU75
08-19-2013, 03:45 AM
Why is everyone picking them beat Texas & A&M. A&M had 6 turnovers in Oxford and still won. They beat Vandy & SW Miss but then don't win again till Troy game.

Mullen'EmOver
08-19-2013, 06:14 AM
I've been reading a lot of Bear boards and I hate these 17ers so much I get sick thinking about it. In their "prediction" threads, it seems like 95% of them are pickin no better than 8-4 as a best case scenario and there are a lot of 7-5 or 6-6 predictions.

WTF is that? It's like they know we are reading and lookin for lofty predictions so they intentionally throw out some weak prediction so we can't run it in there face when they a actually do go 7-5. It's just another part of their "better than everyone " attitude they fake so hard. I work with one and he keeps saying "we'll we only won 2 games 2 years ago so we still have along way to go so at best we may win 7 games" but he'll be the same one picking them to win every game in the office pool so I just don't get it. It's all a front. They all think their really gonna compete with Bama and LSU and TAMu this year lol.

Coach34
08-19-2013, 07:08 AM
I've been reading a lot of Bear boards and I hate these 17ers so much I get sick thinking about it. In their "prediction" threads, it seems like 95% of them are pickin no better than 8-4 as a best case scenario and there are a lot of 7-5 or 6-6 predictions.

WTF is that? It's like they know we are reading and lookin for lofty predictions so they intentionally throw out some weak prediction so we can't run it in there face when they a actually do go 7-5. It's just another part of their "better than everyone " attitude they fake so hard. I work with one and he keeps saying "we'll we only won 2 games 2 years ago so we still have along way to go so at best we may win 7 games" but he'll be the same one picking them to win every game in the office pool so I just don't get it. It's all a front. They all think their really gonna compete with Bama and LSU and TAMu this year lol.

Yayyyyyy...another troll

starkvegasdawg
08-19-2013, 07:10 AM
I want em 5-6 when they roll into Starkville. I want a redo of last year
Screw that. I want the pricks 0-11 when they roll into DWS.

msstate7
08-19-2013, 07:15 AM

I'm not picky. I'll take any win total 5 or less when they come into egg bowl

biscuit
08-19-2013, 09:48 AM

@ Alabama (Blowout)
LSU

2-5 start, maybe 3-4

WeWonItAll(Most)
08-19-2013, 10:28 AM

+1

RougeDawg
08-19-2013, 10:48 AM
Think about that people. They only out-talent SE Mizzou in the 1st 7 games.

And it appears most are failing to see that A) Freeze will not have the surprise factor in year 2 that he had in year 1 (scheme and intensity wise) and B) OM will get team's better efforts this yea, as most took last year's games as glorified scrimmages, and gave 0.0000 shits about being in the same stadium as OM.

These two factors will play more into their W/L outcomes than most of you wish to consider. Also, if Wallace can't go full bore, running and throwing, they will get hammered. His scrambling ability covered up some of their depth and weaknesses on offense. Take away his run or if he can't throw and defenses will adjust. If shoulder is tender, one must wonder how long it'll hold up, playing all those Big Boys in a row. Bama will beat them up, and Auburn will take advantage of the beating. We've seen it happen year after year. Teams records the week after Bama aren't that great historically. Same used to go for LSU. The physical play of a Bama will deplete a team like OM with little depth. Playing Bama game 4 makes games 5+ very daunting.

MemphisDawg
08-19-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm sorry I just don't buy the "teams gave 0 shits being in stadium"

What was our excuse then losing to them?

When you look back at their season last year they had 6-6 regular season.

They were in the drivers seat of A&M LSU and Vandy.

I also think Vandy losing Chris Boyd will hurt Vandy a lot.

MSUDawg4Life
08-19-2013, 02:15 PM

Always.

Let's just be honest about it ....

Nicky Santoro
08-19-2013, 04:25 PM
you are terrible. go away...

Bothrops
08-19-2013, 04:29 PM
All bets are off if Wallace goes down early this year. But, otherwise, I predict OM to edge Vandy, but it will be a battle. They have more talent and a little better depth, and that should make the difference in the second half. But if Vandy wins, I won't be so surprised. The Auburn game will be a scoring contest, it's basically the same type offense, but it's at Auburn (tough place to win), so I doubt it. They won't beat Texas at Austin. Won't beat Bama. Could beat LSU. Will beat Arky. A&M is pretty damn talented all over, so I highly doubt it. OM will lose in Starkville because Wallace will be unhealthy by late November.

99jc
08-19-2013, 07:46 PM
i think they beat vandy by 14. I dont know why i just do. i think they go 2-5 to start.

Will James
08-19-2013, 07:55 PM
I'll throw it in here again. 3-9 with a good shot at 2-10.

CadaverDawg
08-19-2013, 08:53 PM

I'm pulling for you to be right. Matter of fact, I would be willing to pull the ole CWS superstition and bet my entire VCash on Ole Miss winning more than 3 games if it meant making you right.

Coach34
08-19-2013, 09:35 PM
i think they beat vandy by 14. I dont know why i just do. i think they go 2-5 to start.

I'll be shocked if that happens

Coach34
08-19-2013, 09:36 PM

They should be too good on D to be 3-9

Will James
08-19-2013, 10:40 PM
They should be too good on D to be 3-9

Mine is based on morale collapsing not lack of talent.

msstate7
08-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Mine is based on morale collapsing not lack of talent.

Sorta like auburn last year?