PDA

View Full Version : Grizz beat Warriors, steal home court

BeastMan
05-06-2015, 12:27 AM
And got Mike Conley back... ZBo is in playoff form and the Grindfather is dominating the defensive end. Watch out yall

DancingRabbit
05-06-2015, 12:36 AM
Unbelievable performance by Conley. Two days ago he couldn't go with headache and vision issues. Awesome defensive effort by the whole team. Zebo wasn't going to be denied. Just and incredible team win.

jumbo
05-06-2015, 08:24 AM
#oneeyedcharlie

blacklistedbully
05-06-2015, 12:12 PM
Warriors had to play like complete crap, and Curry/Thompson 3 for 17 from 3-point range in order for Memphis to win by 7. There is simply no way you can count on that happening 3 more times, and that's probably what Memphis would need to win this series.

Golden State, on the other hand, could win in routes with just an average game on their part.

thf24
05-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Warriors had to play like complete crap, and Curry/Thompson 3 for 17 from 3-point range in order for Memphis to win by 7. There is simply no way you can count on that happening 3 more times, and that's probably what Memphis would need to win this series.

So you don't think there's any chance that was due to being guarded by two of the best perimeter defenders in the NBA; just an off shooting night?

Bubb Rubb
05-06-2015, 12:28 PM

Golden State, on the other hand, could win in routes with just an average game on their part.

ESPN stats: 21 out of 26 three pointers were tightly contested. Midway thru the fourth quarter, both Curry and Thompson were oh-fer with Allen guarding them.

Memphis didn't play especially well offensively, either. Lots of missed easy shots. Gasol, especially, didn't have his shot working. But they still controlled the game. They dominated from the beginning. You can say GS had an off night, but you have to give Memphis credit for that. It will definitely happen three more times if GS doesn't make the right adjustments. If that's what they think, that they just didn't make shots, they're not going to win another game. Memphis knows what they're doing on the defensive end, and it all starts with Conley and Allen, who were both masterful on that end of the floor.

jumbo
05-06-2015, 12:42 PM
bubb rubb gets it

BeastMan
05-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Allen is the best perimeter defender in the league. Conley and Lee player great defense as well. The Memphis bigs jumped every single screen putting a hand in the face of Curry and Thompson. They forced the to be drivers and not rhythm shooters. With Conley the Grizz present that match-up problem. Let's not kid ourselves either, the Grizz dominated wire to wire. The lead was dbl digits almost the entire game.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Allen is the best perimeter defender in the league..

Kawhi Leonard but Tony is very good.

Bubb Rubb
05-06-2015, 03:17 PM
Kawhi Leonard but Tony is very good.

I disagree. Leonard is the better rounded player. He's not the offensive liability that Allen is. But strictly on defense, Leonard isn't as good as Allen in his dreams. There's not a player in the league that can flat-out take someone out of a game like Allen, and he does it against all kinds of players (Point guards, like Curry, 6-7 guys like Thompson, 6-11 Kevin Durant, etc.). Leonard is not as versatile defensively.

blacklistedbully
05-06-2015, 03:29 PM
Not saying Memphis isn't good. They are in the playoffs, and won their first round. But rest assured, GS has played several really good defensive teams, and has mostly beat the snot out of them all year. They have lost a total of 15 games this year, and very few at home. Of the 3 games they have played versus Memphis:
Lost by 7
Won by 23
Won by 15
Lost by 7

I also would not discount a possible hangover effect from Curry winning the MVP. GS has lost back-to-back games just 4 times in 82 games, and has never lost 3-in-a-row. In 45 home games they have lost a total of 3 times, never twice to the same team.

Curry, in particular has not set the NBA record for 3's by taking a bunch of open shots. He's knocked them down consistently in every type of game, every type of pressure.

I REALLY like GS's chances of taking at least 1 of 3 at Memphis, and both remaining games at home. I'd say chances of that happening are much great than Memphis winning 2 of 3 at home + one at GS, or winning all 3 at home.

Bubb Rubb
05-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Not saying Memphis isn't good. They are in the playoffs, and won their first round. But rest assured, GS has played several really good defensive teams, and has mostly beat the snot out of them all year. They have lost a total of 15 games this year, and very few at home. Of the 3 games they have played versus Memphis:
Lost by 7
Won by 23
Won by 15
Lost by 7

I also would not discount a possible hangover effect from Curry winning the MVP. GS has lost back-to-back games just 4 times in 82 games, and has never lost 3-in-a-row. In 45 home games they have lost a total of 3 times, never twice to the same team.

Curry, in particular has not set the NBA record for 3's by taking a bunch of open shots. He's knocked them down consistently in every type of game, every type of pressure.

I REALLY like GS's chances of taking at least 1 of 3 at Memphis, and both remaining games at home. I'd say chances of that happening are much great than Memphis winning 2 of 3 at home + one at GS, or winning all 3 at home.

Of those games they lost to GS in the regular season, they were without major players. They didn't have Allen/Conley for one of them, to be sure. Obviously they didn't have Conley Sunday night.

And if you want to talk about trends, the Grizzlies are 13-4 against GS in the last 17 games - against mostly the same core players.

Bottom line is this: Golden State's style of play doesn't always translate to playoff basketball. It's more of a half-court game in the playoffs, where possessions are premium, and GS is a higher turnover team. The key to success for GS is not Curry/Thompson. It's Barnes and Green. They played well in game one and GS won, but the Grizzlies adjusted in game two and they lost.

You're caught up in the same thing a lot of people are with Golden State: style over substance. Yeah, they're flashy. Yeah, they're talented. If they are arrogant enough to think they are just going to start making shots, they are going to lose this series - and it might not be close. You keep bringing up the "by 7" comment like it was a close game. The Grizzlies dominated this game from the jump. Allen is in Thompson's head. Curry can't shake Conley like he does so many others. Golden State doesn't have a guy on their roster who can defend Gasol/Randolph. Jeff Green and Vince Carter has contributed absolutely nothing and they still won. Imagine if one of those guys get hot.

Everybody talks about how bad of a matchup it is for the Grizzlies. That would be incorrect. It's a bad matchup for Golden State. Kerr went to his small lineup and got nowhere with it. This is going to be a long series.

Brad Stevens
05-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Golden State in 6.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-06-2015, 04:56 PM
I disagree. Leonard is the better rounded player. He's not the offensive liability that Allen is. But strictly on defense, Leonard isn't as good as Allen in his dreams. There's not a player in the league that can flat-out take someone out of a game like Allen, and he does it against all kinds of players (Point guards, like Curry, 6-7 guys like Thompson, 6-11 Kevin Durant, etc.). Leonard is not as versatile defensively.

Players, coaches, & media disagree. He's DPOY for a reason. Leonard is bigger, taller, stronger ,more athletic, & can guard 1-4. Tony is a great defender but Kawhi is the premiere perimeter defender in the league .

Rayburn8
05-06-2015, 06:09 PM
As I stated a months ago when I predicted Memphis to win this series when the playoffs were set.

Memphis is a matchup nightmare for GSW. Allen and Conely are the best defensive guard duo in the league. While Curry and Thompson are the best offensive duo and made a living in the regular season off of one fact. The fact almost no team in the NBA has two guards that play defense at a high enough level to contain them. Most teams have one but Memphis is fortunate to have two. They just stick Allen and Conely on Curry and Thompson and force the rest of the GS roster to beat them. Which is hard to do with Gasol roaming the paint.

On the offensive end Gasol and Zbo present problems. Gasol can shoot jumpers and is a mobile big. Bogut is a good paint defender but is slow as hell and not fast enough to guard Gasol's jumper, and if he can come out and guard it Gasol is the best passing big in the league and will hit a Mike Conely or Zbo who can drive the basket with Bogut being to slow to recovery. Also don't forget Curry is defensive suicide, if he is guarding Conely, expect Conely to score alot. Finally we come to the Zbo-Green matchup. While Green is a great defender because he can guard this era of PFs, the stretch fours. He does an amazing job of guarding stretch fours, the only problem. Zbo ain't a stretch four. Zbo will destroy GS in the paint.

This is why I thing Memphis wins 6 or 7. This is of course assuming Conely stays healthy throughout.

Maroons
05-06-2015, 06:54 PM
This is going to be a long series.

Ok. Warriors in 6.

Bubb Rubb
05-06-2015, 10:03 PM
Players, coaches, & media disagree. He's DPOY for a reason. Leonard is bigger, taller, stronger ,more athletic, & can guard 1-4. Tony is a great defender but Kawhi is the premiere perimeter defender in the league .

He plays in San Antonio. He's good, but he's not Tony Allen. If Tony played in San Antonio he would've won the award too. Allen also missed a chunk of the season due to injury, which could be another reason he wasn't considered. And Leonard can't guard elite point guards; I don't know what you're drinking there. He can guard Kevin Durant as well as Allen, and maybe a little better because he has more size, but he couldn't step down and guard Russell Westbrook as effectively as Allen could. It's not even an arguable point.

jumbo
05-07-2015, 02:07 PM
It's arguable, but TA is better.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-07-2015, 02:12 PM
He plays in San Antonio. He's good, but he's not Tony Allen. If Tony played in San Antonio he would've won the award too. Allen also missed a chunk of the season due to injury, which could be another reason he wasn't considered. And Leonard can't guard elite point guards; I don't know what you're drinking there. He can guard Kevin Durant as well as Allen, and maybe a little better because he has more size, but he couldn't step down and guard Russell Westbrook as effectively as Allen could. It's not even an arguable point.

OK you're pretty set in your thinking but yea Kawhi can guard Westbrook & pg's of that stature. You're a Grizzlies fan so I'd expect you to roll with your guy.

Bubb Rubb
05-07-2015, 02:23 PM
OK you're pretty set in your thinking but yea Kawhi can guard Westbrook & pg's of that stature. You're a Grizzlies fan so I'd expect you to roll with your guy.

Kevin Durant agrees with me so it's not just homerism.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Kevin Durant agrees with me so it's not just homerism.

The league agrees with me but again it's no big deal. Tony is a great defender I just believe Kawhi is better.

War Machine Dawg
05-07-2015, 10:24 PM
It's entirely Captain Obvious, but this Grizz team is completely different with Conley. No offense to Beno and Calathes, because they're both good players, but neither of them can even hope to guard a guy like Curry. And neither are dropping 15+ with a Curry guarding them, either. Conley would be an All-Star if he played in the East. Not to mention he's tough as hell. Can't believe he stayed in the game after taking the inadvertent hand to the face. His presence alone is huge for this team. There's a reason Memphis was the best team in the NBA for most of the season before the late season collapse. #GritGrind #AllHeart #BelieveMemphis

blacklistedbully
05-16-2015, 04:18 AM
bubb rubb gets it

Cough, cough. I told you so. ;)

Maroons
05-16-2015, 10:34 AM
It's entirely Captain Obvious, but this Grizz team is completely different with Conley. No offense to Beno and Calathes, because they're both good players, but neither of them can even hope to guard a guy like Curry. And neither are dropping 15+ with a Curry guarding them, either. Conley would be an All-Star if he played in the East. Not to mention he's tough as hell. Can't believe he stayed in the game after taking the inadvertent hand to the face. His presence alone is huge for this team. There's a reason Memphis was the best team in the NBA for most of the season before the late season collapse. #GritGrind #AllHeart #BelieveMemphis

Haha. I'm watching Game 6 and thinking to myself, "Memphis can't take the next step with Conley. They need a top tier PG".

thf24
05-16-2015, 01:34 PM
Haha. I'm watching Game 6 and thinking to myself, "Memphis can't take the next step with Conley. They need a top tier PG".

It's a little unfair to judge a guy during a game in which he's wearing a mask because he has a broken face, don't you think? Conley is perfectly fine as a starting point guard. He's not the flashiest 1 in the league on offense, but he gets the job done and he makes up for not being an elite scorer by being one of the best defenders at his position. It's backup point guard play that's been killing the Grizz for years.

It_Could_Happen
05-16-2015, 01:54 PM
I've said it all year long for memphis to get over the hump we need to take some cuts and bring in a true shooter. I'm not saying go get Kyle Korver, but someone along those lines. Maybe a mike dunleavy or a JJ Reddick.

War Machine Dawg
05-16-2015, 02:35 PM
I've said it all year long for memphis to get over the hump we need to take some cuts and bring in a true shooter. I'm not saying go get Kyle Korver, but someone along those lines. Maybe a mike dunleavy or a JJ Reddick.

Yep. And I'm still pissed we passed on Hood to draft Jordan Adams. He's been a complete bust that's barely played. But a shooter is an absolute must for next season. I like what Courtney Lee gives us, but he's not the shooter we need in a 2-guard. Gotta have someone reliable from 3 to take the pressure off the bigs.

blacklistedbully
05-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Yep. And I'm still pissed we passed on Hood to draft Jordan Adams. He's been a complete bust that's barely played. But a shooter is an absolute must for next season. I like what Courtney Lee gives us, but he's not the shooter we need in a 2-guard. Gotta have someone reliable from 3 to take the pressure off the bigs.

Yep. Memphis needs a legit threat from the perimeter and 3-point line. The Warriors were able to collapse everybody inside on defense because the knew there was no real, consistent threat they had to respect outside.