PDA

View Full Version : Did we offer either of Raffy's kids?

IMissJack
05-05-2015, 04:59 PM
? I know we blew it with Grisham's son. What's the deal here?

Saltydog
05-05-2015, 05:07 PM
eldest and he ended up at UAB. We did offer the youngest but he spurned us for NC State.

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2015, 05:12 PM
Nope

Neither one had a committable offer from us. If they did, it was a preferred walk on spot.

maroonmania
05-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Nope

Neither one had a committable offer from us. If they did, it was a preferred walk on spot.

That is not correct, we brought Preston in on an official visit and he definitely had an offer from us. He chose NC State over us for whatever reason. But per his stats at NC State, he would probably be our best hitter or very close to it if he had come.

IMissJack
05-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Nope

Well I hate that, from a relationship standpoint. It is always nice to have legacy players in any program. However, it seems that with scholarship numbers the way they are, if I loved MSU I would pay for my kids to go there, so someone else could get the scholarship. Especially if I had major league money. That being said, since Raffy gave the money for the center, it seems we could have done something.

maroonmania
05-05-2015, 05:27 PM
Well I hate that, from a relationship standpoint. It is always nice to have legacy players in any program. However, it seems that with scholarship numbers the way they are, if I loved MSU I would pay for my kids to go there, so someone else could get the scholarship. Especially if I had major league money. That being said, since Raffy gave the money for the center, it seems we could have done something.

Patrick was not coming here. He was coming into college baseball right after the Byrne-Polk-Cohen rift all happened and Raffy is a Polk guy all the way. We DID offer Preston as things had healed a lot by that time but he didn't choose to play at MSU for his own reasons.

Todd4State
05-05-2015, 05:33 PM
I think that if you are a legacy and your Dad has pro experience or if one of your immediate family members has a building named after them on campus, you should get your tuition waived at MSU and you should be allowed to walk-on to the sports team if they so choose.

Grisham's kid could have been a pinch run/defensive replacement guy and it wouldn't have bothered me one bit.

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2015, 05:43 PM
That is not correct, we brought Preston in on an official visit and he definitely had an offer from us. He chose NC State over us for whatever reason. But per his stats at NC State, he would probably be our best hitter or very close to it if he had come.

And you know this how?

Preston barely started for his high school. Turns out, he's gotten better, but he didnt possess the talent level that MSU SHOULD be offering.

State82
05-05-2015, 05:44 PM
Grisham's kid could have been a pinch run/defensive replacement guy and it wouldn't have bothered me one bit.

I firmly believe that, with the possible exception of the Rick Ray hire, this may be the dumbest decision ever made with regard to MSU sports when you look at the long term ramifications.

IMissJack
05-05-2015, 06:14 PM
I think that if you are a legacy and your Dad has pro experience or if one of your immediate family members has a building named after them on campus, you should get your tuition waived at MSU and you should be allowed to walk-on to the sports team if they so choose.

I feel the same way about out of state tuition being dropped for kids of alums that have donated tens of thousands to MSU over the past 20 years, but it looks like I will have to pay it.

Saltydog
05-05-2015, 06:34 PM
it being discussed on one of the MSU boards but the kid had narrowed it down to us and them and we lost out. Pretty bad when you can't hang on to your legacies.

JohnnyQuid
05-05-2015, 06:37 PM
it being discussed on one of the MSU boards but the kid had narrowed it down to us and them and we lost out. Pretty bad when you can't hang on to your legacies.

Could be a situation where a kid doesn't want to play in a huge shadow of his father and try to live up to those expectations. just crossed mind as a possibility I know literally nothing about the situation.

maroonmania
05-05-2015, 06:44 PM
And you know this how?

Preston barely started for his high school. Turns out, he's gotten better, but he didnt possess the talent level that MSU SHOULD be offering.

I know because I kept up with his recruitment. Much moreso than just some random recruit. He had offers from multiple high end D1 college programs including us. Now given the way baseball scholarships are divided up its hard to know exactly how much the offer was but we certainly weren't expecting to get him as a walk on I can assure you. A lot of folks even here thought we would potentially get him right up to week he chose NC State. He had a 9.5 grade from Perfect Game which is pretty dang good.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=268486

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2015, 06:53 PM
I know because I kept up with his recruitment. Much moreso than just some random recruit. He had offers from multiple high end D1 college programs including us. Now given the way baseball scholarships are divided up its hard to know exactly how much the offer was but we certainly weren't expecting to get him as a walk on I can assure you. A lot of folks even here thought we would potentially get him right up to week he chose NC State. He had a 9.5 grade from Perfect Game which is pretty dang good.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=268486

Gotcha, so you basically only knew what the media told you

maroonmania
05-05-2015, 06:56 PM

Good grief, like I said, he had offers all over. NO, I didn't personally speak to John Cohen to know what our offer was but why would we waste our time bringing him in on an official visit and compete to get him with a "walk on" offer? What inside info do you have that says we offered him nothing?

Saltydog
05-05-2015, 07:18 PM
nt

Dawg61
05-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Could be a situation where a kid doesn't want to play in a huge shadow of his father and try to live up to those expectations. just crossed mind as a possibility I know literally nothing about the situation.

That and his dad was in full recluse mode making it awkward to go see his son play. When you want to be left alone you don't send your son to the school you're the GOAT at.

maroonmania
05-05-2015, 08:05 PM
That and his dad was in full recluse mode making it awkward to go see his son play. When you want to be left alone you don't send your son to the school you're the GOAT at.

I would think MSU is maybe the only place left where Raffy is still revered, he is certainly no GOAT.

Dawg61
05-05-2015, 08:07 PM
I would think MSU is maybe the only place left where Raffy is still revered, he is certainly no GOAT.

Greatest Of All Time = GOAT

maroonmania
05-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Greatest Of All Time = GOAT

Roger

sbcmortgageman
05-05-2015, 09:15 PM

It's ok to admit when you're wrong sometimes.

SDDawg
05-05-2015, 10:25 PM
Thread has gone full retard.

ShotgunDawg
05-05-2015, 10:30 PM
It's ok to admit when you're wrong sometimes.

Yeah, I know. I'll be sure to let you know when I'm wrong.

32 Dive
05-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Thread has gone full retard.

You NEVER... Go FULL...

maroonmania
05-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Well my only point is that Cohen gets enough crap from us that's deserved, I don't see a need for people to start dumping on him about not trying to sign either of Palmeiro's sons when he did make a pretty good effort to sign Preston.