PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss gets four year extension on being mediocre

FlabLoser
05-05-2015, 03:03 PM
AK extended 4 years.

They had a chance to really pass us while we were down. They did OK once in a while, but didn't really establish themselves as the better program. Props on a new stadium.

But they're still Ole Miss and Howland will return them to their rightful place of losing every matchup against us.

Dawgcentral
05-05-2015, 06:43 PM
AK is in the same position that Billy Brewer was when we hired JWS.

Their new arena couldn't come at a better time for him, but it's about a decade late if you ask me.it's been an embarrassment for quite some time.

When Brewer called Jackie a liar, we knew he was pissing his pants. The writing was on the wall.

BiscuitEater
05-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Howland 'homerun' hire + AK extension = good news for the BB program

DancingRabbit
05-05-2015, 07:02 PM
AK extended 4 years.

They had a chance to really pass us while we were down. They did OK once in a while, but didn't really establish themselves as the better program. Props on a new stadium.

But they're still Ole Miss and Howland will return them to their rightful place of losing every matchup against us.

Looks like Bork beat Florida to the punch again.

Bully13
05-05-2015, 09:42 PM
17 tsun....let's stop making threads about them. their hoops relevance is so insignificant right now we should ban any thread about their hoops program.

FlabLoser
05-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Looks like Bork beat Florida to the punch again.

That's curious. Godfrey is slipping by missing out on a AK-to-UF article.

bgover4
05-06-2015, 07:54 AM
No AK just needs to hire buckys manager, he would have had it in the usa today that florida was considering him for the basketball job to work out a bigger contract with TSUN.

jumbo
05-06-2015, 08:22 AM
good

Johnson85
05-06-2015, 08:25 AM
AK is in the same position that Billy Brewer was when we hired JWS.

Their new arena couldn't come at a better time for him, but it's about a decade late if you ask me.it's been an embarrassment for quite some time.

When Brewer called Jackie a liar, we knew he was pissing his pants. The writing was on the wall.

It's been at least 5 years too late, but I don't think it really matters. One, I really don't think State and UM's basketball teams affect each other the way the baseball and football teams do. Basketball just relies so much on out of state talent, MSU and UM are just other schools to each other. If I were UM, I think I'd rather Memphis be down than MSU. There will be years where there is good talent in MS and being clearly ahead of MSU would make a difference for a few years and that could lead to bigger things, but that's pretty speculative. Two, I don't think being good for a few years while MSU is down would change the calculus related to boosters. Despite us being slightly ahead of them in football through the last couple of decades, they still seem to have a much larger number of boosters that will dig deeper when it comes time to help with recruiting. The roles are reversed in basketball (although I think our booster network is in much better relative shape than their basketball network) and I don't think a good four or five year run will change that. Three, even with a new stadium, you're trying to recruit basketball players to Oxford. Both MSU and UM face challenges with trying to recruit to their towns in basketball, but Starkville is a little (lot?) more comfortable. In football when you have 60 team mates, it may not be as big of a deal. In baseball, where you have 12, it's a little more important what kind of reception you get from other people in the town.

Ole Miss needs a home run hire to be good in basketball. AK isn't that homerun, but he's pretty good and way to good to jettison knowing that it's highly unlikely they're going to get that homerun. If SEC money continues to change things, maybe in 3 or 4 years that homerun will be in reach.