PDA

View Full Version : Bassfield Twins

Rick Danko
07-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Don't keep up with ole miss recruiting at all but listening to head to head and hear they have these guys committed. What happened here I thought they were all but locks to us. For any of u gurus who keep up, any insight on this... Did we not offer, slow play, or did they just like them better?

Dallas_Dawg
07-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Believe they are committed but not locks to sign with Bears

BeastMan
07-02-2013, 05:20 PM
They committed to OM and it came as somewhat of a surprise. We have moved on and aren't pursuing them anymore from what I understand (3* & 2*). That ship has sailed. I'm not implying that they aren't happy w/OM either. They probably are. I wish them the best in their confederate careers

HancockCountyDog
07-02-2013, 07:36 PM
Don't keep up with ole miss recruiting at all but listening to head to head and hear they have these guys committed. What happened here I thought they were all but locks to us. For any of u gurus who keep up, any insight on this... Did we not offer, slow play, or did they just like them better?

Yeah apparently Steve Robertson and Gene told the masses that they were the best two players at all of big dawg camp ( Probably because they thought they were going to commit to us) now that they are bears, they are back tracking about star levels.

Just remember that the next time you are concerned about star levels for commits.

I seen it dawg
07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
**** a damn star. Stars are arbitrary things stuck to guys that are based on some physical measurable that have some but not a ton of effect on football skill. Yes typically the more stars the better physically but if you don't have the development skills of coaches the stars don't mean shit. You take the same 6'4 265lb guy running a 4.5 and lets see who he does better with, our staff or Ole Miss staff. I got my money on us. **** a ****** ****ing star. Recruiting stars are ****ing stupid to base your entire opinion on.

Rick Danko
07-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Agreed I am definitely one who puts trust in the staffs evaluation above that of Steve or gene's opinion... Star levels a lot of times are based on page hits per site... Again just curious oh well hope they enjoy the grove life

hailmari
07-02-2013, 09:12 PM
**** a damn star. Stars are arbitrary things stuck to guys that are based on some physical measurable that have some but not a ton of effect on football skill. Yes typically the more stars the better physically but if you don't have the development skills of coaches the stars don't mean shit. You take the same 6'4 265lb guy running a 4.5 and lets see who he does better with, our staff or Ole Miss staff. I got my money on us. **** a ****** ****ing star. Recruiting stars are ****ing stupid to base your entire opinion on.

So, how do you feel about stars?

Todd4State
07-02-2013, 10:50 PM

I think they are good athletes. But I think they are hybrid LB/S and to be quite honest, they probably fit what Ole Miss runs on defense better than what we currently run. Geoff seems to like tall LB's like Benardrick McKinney, Richie Brown, Beniquez Brown, etc.

Pollodawg
07-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Meh, State's got bigger fish to fry.

HancockCountyDog
07-02-2013, 11:09 PM
I think they are good athletes. But I think they are hybrid LB/S and to be quite honest, they probably fit what Ole Miss runs on defense better than what we currently run. Geoff seems to like tall LB's like Benardrick McKinney, Richie Brown, Beniquez Brown, etc.

Is Richie tall? I know he is fast, but I thought he was about 6'1"

sandwolf
07-03-2013, 12:31 AM

Scout lists him and Beniquez both at 6'-2".....so they aren't nearly as tall as McKinney, but plenty tall enough.

sandwolf
07-03-2013, 01:21 AM

Say what you want about stars, but for the most part, teams that have a lot of success recruit well. Now, that's not to say that all teams that recruit well have a lot of success, but if you look at the teams that finish the year in the top 10, almost all of them have an average recruiting class ranking in the top 20 over the previous 4 years.

Todd4State
07-03-2013, 02:05 AM
Say what you want about stars, but for the most part, teams that have a lot of success recruit well. Now, that's not to say that all teams that recruit well have a lot of success, but if you look at the teams that finish the year in the top 10, almost all of them have an average recruiting class ranking in the top 20 over the previous 4 years.

They're kind of clever as far as how they assign the stars though. They do it by offers a lot of times, and sure enough usually the schools with the high rankings are Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Texas, USC, etc. Those schools do well no matter what star value is assigned. Then the recruiting site is like "See we were right!"

I seen it dawg
07-03-2013, 06:08 AM
Right Todd. It's kinda like claiming a national title because the Coahoma Asswipe Gazette does a poll and picks you as the national champion so you make a trophy. Same with stars. You can take whoevers star system and attach it to your recruit and use the highest one. There are so damn many recruiting services out there now with rankings it's easy to just use what you want and make your turd look a little shinier so your fans can get their gonads pumped because you win a recruiting trophy. Stars mean less and less every year and I get tired of seeing our fans get in such an uproar over it. Lets see what Ole Miss stars look like in 2-3 years instead of sucking their dicks over guys that haven't even gotten arrested for the first time yet.

msstate7
07-03-2013, 06:17 AM

Gerri green from Greenville is who we need at lb.

Esmerelda Villalobos
07-03-2013, 08:01 AM
The kool-aide is strong

FISHDAWG
07-03-2013, 08:28 AM
tell it to Saban **

HancockCountyDog
07-03-2013, 09:09 AM
They're kind of clever as far as how they assign the stars though. They do it by offers a lot of times, and sure enough usually the schools with the high rankings are Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Texas, USC, etc. Those schools do well no matter what star value is assigned. Then the recruiting site is like "See we were right!"

Yeah but those schools are usually a great judge of talent. I trust them way more than i trust Steve/Gene/Paul; When I heard that Bama offered Cory Thomas I knew right then he was a stud, not because the MSU guys said he was.

The same way I don't believe all the stuff Gene/Steve said about the Bassfield twins, I mean you would have thought both of them were four star talents according to Steve and Gene when they thought they were headed to MSU. Now that they are bear bound its "they don't fit our system" or "we have bigger fish to fry". I just hate that shit because I have no idea if MSU actually missed out on a talented pair of kids or if they really don't fit our system.

Make no mistake if they had committed to MSU, Gene/Steve/Paul would have kept pimping them all damn day saying they were top 10 players in the state, four star talents and so on. Now that they want to wear collared shirts every damn day they just "solid players".

Homedawg
07-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Here's what happened. We wanted one of them but didn't know what he would play- like Todd said he's a hybrid or tweener for us. But, they both can run, big time. They other one we just don't have room for. Not saying it from a sour grapes point or that he can't play. Just that we don't have room this year. Then they go to oxford for camp and freeze calls them in his office. Their coach starts to go in with them and freeze says, no just the kids. They come out after their talk w him and one says I have to call our parents. Coach says, why? The response, "we just committed". The parents knew nothing about it. that. We are still talking to them and the parents are bothered about the whole deal. With all that I still expect them to be in Oxford next year.

HancockCountyDog
07-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Here's what happened. We wanted one of them but didn't know what he would play- like Todd said he's a hybrid or tweener for us. But, they both can run, big time. They other one we just don't have room for. Not saying it from a sour grapes point or that he can't play. Just that we don't have room this year. Then they go to oxford for camp and freeze calls them in his office. Their coach starts to go in with them and freeze says, no just the kids. They come out after their talk w him and one says I have to call our parents. Coach says, why? The response, "we just committed". The parents knew nothing about it. that. We are still talking to them and the parents are bothered about the whole deal. With all that I still expect them to be in Oxford next year.

I thought we offered both of them, that is what I get for listening to Steve/Paul/Gene all of whom said that they were both offered and that they were both extremely talented. What you just said, makes way more sense. I hope they enjoy Oxford, its just like Bassfield. Pffftttt

Bullmutt
07-03-2013, 10:58 AM
A big problem I have with the whole "star" concept is the potential effect it has on the recruit, because the services have become so popular among fanbases. You take a 16-18 year old kid and assign him 4 or 5 stars and ,unless his is extremely mature for his age, he suddenly sees himself as a rock star, thinks his shit doesn't stink, rules don't apply to him, and all he has to do to be successful is show up. By the time he starts his college career, he's such a head case that the coaching staff has a lot more problems than just teaching him the game. I sincerely wonder if that is not the reason that Mullen doesn't seem to recruit some of these kids very hard.

War Machine Dawg
07-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Honestly, I almost never look at "stars." I much prefer looking at the kid's offer list. That tells me a hell of a lot more than some arbitrarily assigned star by a website owner. If 5 other SEC schools, Clemson, and TCU are after a kid, then he's probably a pretty damn good player. Conversely, if the only team that wants a kid is Troy or Alcorn, then he probably sucks. With that said, I also trust our staff in evaluating unknowns. They've earned the benefit of the doubt in that department. But I still think you learn more about a player by his offer sheet than a ****ing star system that's flawed in favor of the power schools.

Todd4State
07-03-2013, 11:42 AM
Yeah but those schools are usually a great judge of talent. I trust them way more than i trust Steve/Gene/Paul; When I heard that Bama offered Cory Thomas I knew right then he was a stud, not because the MSU guys said he was.

The same way I don't believe all the stuff Gene/Steve said about the Bassfield twins, I mean you would have thought both of them were four star talents according to Steve and Gene when they thought they were headed to MSU. Now that they are bear bound its "they don't fit our system" or "we have bigger fish to fry". I just hate that shit because I have no idea if MSU actually missed out on a talented pair of kids or if they really don't fit our system.

Make no mistake if they had committed to MSU, Gene/Steve/Paul would have kept pimping them all damn day saying they were top 10 players in the state, four star talents and so on. Now that they want to wear collared shirts every damn day they just "solid players".

I don't know about others, but when I say a player doesn't fit a system as well, that doesn't mean that they are a bad player. It just means that they are looking out for themselves and making an informed decision. We could still use them and make it work, but they may be just limited to safety for us vs. LB/S for someone else. It goes both ways- I said the same thing about Tobias Singleton when he committed to Ole Miss. He basically committed to a team that at that time hardly ever used slot WR's which is what he is, and sure enough he was gone after about a year. If he comes to MSU, he still may be at JSU sure, but I would also say that his chances of staying in school would be a LOT better had he gone to MSU just because he would have been playing more and possibly would be starting for us this year.

I do see what you are saying about Gene/Steve pimping them. The worst I've ever seen was when Chris Garrett committed to us. But again it goes back to the paradox that I was talking about. We have fans that say "we don't want smoke blown up our ass" but at the same time they place a lot of emphasis on this silly star system and they get upset when we aren't hauling in a class like Alabama.

Todd4State
07-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Honestly, I almost never look at "stars." I much prefer looking at the kid's offer list. That tells me a hell of a lot more than some arbitrarily assigned star by a website owner. If 5 other SEC schools, Clemson, and TCU are after a kid, then he's probably a pretty damn good player. Conversely, if the only team that wants a kid is Troy or Alcorn, then he probably sucks. With that said, I also trust our staff in evaluating unknowns. They've earned the benefit of the doubt in that department. But I still think you learn more about a player by his offer sheet than a ****ing star system that's flawed in favor of the power schools.

That's exactly why I like to see these players with my own eyes and go by video more than anything. Essentially the value of these recruiting services to me is to just give me the names of guys to look for and watch.

And I guarantee you that I get a LOT more enjoyment out of watching these guys play high school football than I do hand wringing about whether we are going to get some guy or not.

BeastMan
07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
@homedog

I believe every word of that b/c I was told they were regretting their decision (must be the parents). I had also heard we went ahead and moved on. Being that you seem much closer to this than me, how hard are we still on them?

mic
07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Im sure the Rebs are trying to get a jump on Jamal Peters from Bassfield for next year.. They always seem to work that angle very well..

maroonmania
07-03-2013, 03:57 PM

But the paradox is that IF the Bamas, LSUs, Floridas and Georgias of the world are after a kid the services WILL bump a kid significantly star wise. So its sort of a self fulfilling prophecy that if those guys are really after a kid that he will end up with a high star rating. But its very rare that a school like MSU can pull a kid (not from MS) that has the high profile programs after him so we have to be able to identify the guys that have a lot of potential that maybe don't have a great offer list. Now granted I feel much better about a recruit we get that at least has offers from mid to lower tier SEC, ACC and Big 12 schools than nothing but CUSA and Sun Belt teams.

hailmari
07-03-2013, 04:19 PM

I saw Richie in the Sanderson a couple weeks ago, he looked to be closer to 6'4" to me. Big kid.

engie
07-03-2013, 04:46 PM
I agree with your premise -- but when we take low-rated guys in the summer -- particularly guys with few/no offers -- we've hit on them at a VERY high rate under this regime. Here are the names...

Jameon Lewis(2* only BCS offer)
Curtis Virges(3* only BCS offer)
Malcolm Johnson(2* only BCS offer)
Blaine Clausell(2* only BCS offer)

Darius Slay(3* only offer)
Justin Cox(3* only offer)
Dak Prescott(3* only BCS offer prior to a late offer from LSU)
Josh Robinson(3* with BCS offers from MSU and OM only)
Daniel Knox(3* only BCS offer)
Devin Fosselman(3* only BCS offer)

Fred Brown(3* with BCS offers from MSU and OM only)
Gus Walley(2* only BCS offer)
Xavier Grindle(3* many offers)
Ryan Brown(3* with BCS offers from MSU and Colorado)
Cole Carter(3* only offer)
Torrey Dale(3* only BCS ofer)
Nelson Adams(3* only offer)
Cedric Jiles(3* only BCS offer)

Homedawg
07-03-2013, 06:34 PM
@homedog

I believe every word of that b/c I was told they were regretting their decision (must be the parents). I had also heard we went ahead and moved on. Being that you seem much closer to this than me, how hard are we still on them?

Being that they both have to have spots next fall- we aren't killing ourselves but haven't shut them out. The safety is a greyshirt- at best. Ill be very surprised if we were to get them for 2 reasons, one lack of spots and bc we don't know where we would play the lb one. He's the better player and he really doesn't have a position for us. But like I said, he, they can run like the wind.

Todd4State
07-03-2013, 06:40 PM
Being that they both have to have spots next fall- we aren't killing ourselves but haven't shut them out. The safety is a greyshirt- at best. Ill be very surprised if we were to get them for 2 reasons, one lack of spots and bc we don't know where we would play the lb one. He's the better player and he really doesn't have a position for us. But like I said, he, they can run like the wind.

Plus there's no need to make a big push right now. We just need to focus on getting guys like Aeries Williams, Jesse Jackson, Gerri Green, etc. and then as time goes along and things sort themselves out then we go after them hard if we want to.

sandwolf
07-04-2013, 12:23 AM

What is your point? Do you think that the recruiting services should ignore a player's offer list? Because I think that would be pretty stupid. It sounds like you just don't like the way that the recruiting networks arrive at their rankings.....and that is fine, but regardless of how they got there, their rating system is effective.

Todd4State
07-04-2013, 01:34 AM
What is your point? Do you think that the recruiting services should ignore a player's offer list? Because I think that would be pretty stupid. It sounds like you just don't like the way that the recruiting networks arrive at their rankings.....and that is fine, but regardless of how they got there, their rating system is effective.

I'm just saying that the stars are a propaganda tool and it's not really rocket science to say that if Alabama offers a guy he's more than likely a good player. With the star systems- they are basically presenting it as the site is the one finding out about these players and evaluating them when in reality it's Nick Saban and the other coaches and not rivals or scout or whomever so much.

It's a business and I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, but on my end of the deal you have to realize what's going on and also how to judge players accordingly.

At the end of the day, I like to judge on my own and I get more pleasure out of recruiting doing that rather than blindly trusting the experts evaluations. And I'm just saying I think a lot more people would enjoy it if they took that approach as well.