PDA

View Full Version : Cord Sandberg

justwin
05-04-2015, 11:38 PM
baseball guys....how much more time does he have playing pro ball at this pace?

2013 hit .207 going 35/169. 2 homers
2014 .235 @ 62/264. 6 homers
2015 .232 @ 19/82. 0 homers

smootness
05-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Probably not much longer, but I still don't expect him to ever play QB here. And our QB recruiting is going well enough that I'm not sure it matters much.

Bothrops
05-04-2015, 11:58 PM
I would have rather him played baseball for us.

MsStateBaseball
05-05-2015, 06:19 AM
I need to watch him play games before I comment, he could be knocking the cover off of it right at people. Potential is the key. Do the powers that be think he has the talent to keep going not looking at stats?

Coach34
05-05-2015, 06:38 AM
Got to think he gives it 4 full years and then evaluates where he is at. If he is still struggling in A-ball....then he might consider football. If he has made it to AA- then he probably keeps plugging

Rayburn8
05-05-2015, 06:58 AM
Probably not much longer, but I still don't expect him to ever play QB here. And our QB recruiting is going well enough that I'm not sure it matters much.

He has to play here unless he wants to pay for college himself. The only way MLB pays for college is if he goes to the school he signed with.

justwin
05-05-2015, 09:25 AM
I need to watch him play games before I comment, he could be knocking the cover off of it right at people. Potential is the key. Do the powers that be think he has the talent to keep going not looking at stats?

sounds about right. It seems like hitting is the key for him as his other tools aren't extraordinary.

What would be a good AA season for him to achieve in order to keep progressing? stat wise

Johnson85
05-05-2015, 09:26 AM
He has to play here unless he wants to pay for college himself. The only way MLB pays for college is if he goes to the school he signed with.

Really? That surprises me. Wonder why the deal works out like that. Is that an NCAA rule? Or is it a way to try to limit the options of their minor league prospects so they aren't competing with multiple schools recruiting them?

justwin
05-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Got to think he gives it 4 full years and then evaluates where he is at. If he is still struggling in A-ball....then he might consider football. If he has made it to AA- then he probably keeps plugging

Assuming he sputters out in baseball, would that put him as QB in Vegas when Staley/Fitz are seniors?

justwin
05-05-2015, 09:29 AM

very nice. thanks for confirming.

I can't imagine a world where he comes to MSU to succeed our freshman duo.

1bigdawg
05-05-2015, 09:33 AM

He has to go to school here to get it paid for by baseball, but he does not have to play. You have to think he is looking at Dak being a senior and thinking the timing might be right for him to come back. I don't know if he could start, but he was a great QB talent that Dan loved in High School.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-05-2015, 09:45 AM
It's hard for me to see him on campus anytime before the 2017 season or leading up to that season.

msstate7
05-05-2015, 10:17 AM
It's hard for me to see him on campus anytime before the 2017 season or leading up to that season.

Which would be awesome. Have a guy that's a man and knowing this is his last shot at having a career playing sports

Johnson85
05-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Which would be awesome. Have a guy that's a man and knowing this is his last shot at having a career playing sports

At that point he'll be around 22/23, meaning he won't exhaust his eligibility until he's 25/26. Not sure it's reasonable to expect that he will keep playing that long. He'll either be a pro prospect, and will leave early, or he won't be a pro prospect, in which case it seems likely he will not want to play college ball til he's 26 while other people he knows are getting on with their life.

So I'd guess he's going to end up competing with Fitz and/or Staley their RS Junior and RS Senior years if he comes here at all. He'll have the advantage of being older, but they'll have the advantage of having been in the system for the past three years. Maybe he would do that and end up playing through his junior year, which would put him at 25 and give him one year of eligibility past Fitz and Staley. It's always nice to have a good QB prospect come into the program, but b/c of the success Mullen has had in recruiting the QB position since Cord went to MLB, I'm not sure him coming back is likely to impact us a lot unless we have some bad injury luck.

msstate7
05-14-2015, 09:27 AM
.213 avg .269 obp .510 ops 0 hr's

Yikes...

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-14-2015, 09:56 AM

Yikes....

dawgs
05-14-2015, 09:57 AM
At that point he'll be around 22/23, meaning he won't exhaust his eligibility until he's 25/26. Not sure it's reasonable to expect that he will keep playing that long. He'll either be a pro prospect, and will leave early, or he won't be a pro prospect, in which case it seems likely he will not want to play college ball til he's 26 while other people he knows are getting on with their life.

So I'd guess he's going to end up competing with Fitz and/or Staley their RS Junior and RS Senior years if he comes here at all. He'll have the advantage of being older, but they'll have the advantage of having been in the system for the past three years. Maybe he would do that and end up playing through his junior year, which would put him at 25 and give him one year of eligibility past Fitz and Staley. It's always nice to have a good QB prospect come into the program, but b/c of the success Mullen has had in recruiting the QB position since Cord went to MLB, I'm not sure him coming back is likely to impact us a lot unless we have some bad injury luck.

There's been plenty of guys that came back from MiLB to play 4 years of CFB. Weinke and weeden off the top of my head, and they were 24/25 before they started their football eligibility clock. Even if he wasn't a pro prospect, he's gonna be in school for 4 years getting his degree, if he's a starting QB and playing pretty well and the team is doing well, why wouldn't he play out his eligibility? So he's a 26 year old senior, he'd still have to finish school up, not like he'd be able to just go move on with his life in a good career without graduating.

smootness
05-14-2015, 10:00 AM

I'm saying I don't know if we would still take him.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm saying I don't know if we would still take him.

I don't see why we wouldn't. It's literally no downside to it. He's not costing a scholarship & if he doesn't still have it then we have another scout team qb who's a walk on working on his degree. I'd welcome him with open arms. Plus he still talks to Mullen so the relationship is there.

Mjoelner34
05-14-2015, 11:02 AM
Plus he still talks to Mullen so the relationship is there. Dan is saving him for the right time. **

Dawg496
05-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Plus he still talks to Mullen so the relationship is there.

It must be a Yankee/Scientology thing to talk in third person.

smootness
05-14-2015, 11:10 AM
I don't see why we wouldn't. It's literally no downside to it. He's not costing a scholarship & if he doesn't still have it then we have another scout team qb who's a walk on working on his degree. I'd welcome him with open arms. Plus he still talks to Mullen so the relationship is there.

True, I didn't think about not having to use a scholarship on him.

Coach34
05-14-2015, 11:22 AM
You have to believe he is going to give it 4 full years unless he just has a suckass year and says "**** it- I think I have a better shot in football".

msstate7
05-14-2015, 11:39 AM
You have to believe he is going to give it 4 full years unless he just has a suckass year and says "**** it- I think I have a better shot in football".

It's he required to try 4 years by contract

Really Clark?
05-14-2015, 11:44 AM
It's he required to try 4 years by contract

Unless the organization goes in a different direction. Which they probably won't, but they could.

justwin
05-14-2015, 12:09 PM

Yikes...

trending in our favor, thanks for pulling stats. In reality, dude got paid like $300K+ to get a shot at his dream. So, he has the bankroll now which no one can blame.

I still think he could set the world on fire here under Mullen as a qb.

playing hindsight, had he come here he would be a Damian Williams, right? He would be going into his junior year pigeon holed to get one real shot at being the guy as a senior next year post Dak. In retrospect, he probably made a good decision to go get paid now. I do think he would not have redshirted like Damian didn't.

Of course, what's crazy is he could've beaten out Dak by now.

Now, say he gives baseball this year and next, then he comes to MSU & redshirts and he will be a RS FR with Fitz/Staley playing as RS Seniors. Then, he has 3 legit years to compete with Tiano to be the guy. That's the angle I'm selling him if I'm Mullen.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2015, 12:14 PM
trending in our favor, thanks for pulling stats. In reality, dude got paid like $300K+ to get a shot at his dream. So, he has the bankroll now which no one can blame.

playing hindsight, had he come here he would be a Damian Williams, right? He would be going into his junior year pigeon holed to get one real shot at being the guy as a senior next year post Dak. In retrospect, he probably made a good decision to go get paid now. I do think he would not have redshirted like Damian didn't.

Now, say he gives baseball this year and next, then he comes to MSU & redshirts and he will be a RS FR with Fitz/Staley playing as RS Seniors. Then, he has 3 legit years to compete with Tiano to be the guy. That's the angle I'm selling him if I'm Mullen.

Since we're playing what if. What if Cord came & Tyler & Dak don't both get hurt? Then he's a RS Soph with 2 more years left after Dak leaves. I just don't see him coming to football until 2017 at the earliest.

justwin
05-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Since we're playing what if. What if Cord came & Tyler & Dak don't both get hurt? Then he's a RS Soph with 2 more years left after Dak leaves. I just don't see him coming to football until 2017 at the earliest.

I think the best way to answer your question is 2 parts: 1. stats & 2. the ability to beat the teams that matter ~ Bama, LSU, Aub.

level setting: I'd say the bar for a seasoned Mullen qb is 3700 yds (pass & run); 38 tds (pass & run) / 9 picks. I pull those from:
Dak, jr: 4,400 41 /11
Tebow, soph: 4200 55/6
Tebow, jr: 3400 42/4
Tebow, sr: 3800 35/5 (had his worst year under Adazzio, but I include him b/c of 3 years of prior tutelage from Mullen)

regardless of whether Cord is a rs jr or rs sr, I think he puts up my avg easily first year as the starter. I think Staley as early as a soph could hit my avg which is dam scary and would make for one hell of a competition in 2017 with a rs jr Cord vs a rs soph Staley had Cord bypassed baseball. Fitz I think could get at the avg a rs jr. I would choose Cord over though in your scenario.

2. Now, the good stuff. I think Cord has a higher likelihood of sweeping the big 3 as a first year starter. Why? b/c of the HS pedigree, national HS acclaim, etc. He played in a big district in FL and absolutely cleaned up for 4 years which is different than any other of our current QBs. Just more a finished product before he ever steps foot in vegas. Now, Dak beating 2/3 last year was absolutely huge for our program, his confidence, etc, but no one really expected it until it happened. Kind of what made it so enjoyable. For Cord, like Dak this upcoming year, we're expecting it. it's just a different mindset that the entire fanbase, team, coaches will have going in to those games. The challenge for Staley, Fitz and even Tiano is that they still have to prove it on the field like Dak did last year, but they're all capable.

Anyway, that's how I see it and that's why I see Cord still being a huge recruit once baseball officially fizzles out.

But yeah, 2017 is the earliest for him to arrive.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2015, 12:54 PM
I think the best way to answer your question is 2 parts: 1. stats & 2. the ability to beat the teams that matter ~ Bama, LSU, Aub.

level setting: I'd say the bar for a seasoned Mullen qb is 3700 yds (pass & run); 38 tds (pass & run) / 9 picks. I pull those from:
Dak, jr: 4,400 41 /11
Tebow, soph: 4200 55/6
Tebow, jr: 3400 42/4
Tebow, sr: 3800 35/5 (had his worst year under Adazzio, but I include him b/c of 3 years of prior tutelage from Mullen)

regardless of whether Cord is a rs jr or rs sr, I think he puts up my avg easily first year as the starter. I think Staley as early as a soph could hit my avg which is dam scary and would make for one hell of a competition in 2017 with a rs jr Cord vs a rs soph Staley had Cord bypassed baseball. Fitz I think could get at the avg a rs jr. I would choose Cord over though in your scenario.

2. Now, the good stuff. I think Cord has a higher likelihood of sweeping the big 3 as a first year starter. Why? b/c of the HS pedigree, national HS acclaim, etc. He played in a big district in FL and absolutely cleaned up for 4 years which is different than any other of our current QBs. Just more a finished product before he ever steps foot in vegas. Now, Dak beating 2/3 last year was absolutely huge for our program, his confidence, etc, but no one really expected it until it happened. Kind of what made it so enjoyable. For Cord, like Dak this upcoming year, we're expecting it. it's just a different mindset that the entire fanbase, team, coaches will have going in to those games. The challenge for Staley, Fitz and even Tiano is that they still have to prove it on the field like Dak did last year, but they're all capable.

Anyway, that's how I see it and that's why I see Cord still being a huge recruit once baseball officially fizzles out.

But yeah, 2017 is the earliest for him to arrive.

Good stuff. Only thing I kind of disagree with is Cord could step off the baseball field 4yrs removed from playing an actual football game & be the starting QB much less sweep the big 3. I just think that's asking too much of a kid who was not a polished passer 4yrs ago & now hadn't thrown a football in 4yrs to hop off the minor league bus & be accurate enough to lead us in the SEC.

justwin
05-14-2015, 01:37 PM
Good stuff. Only thing I kind of disagree with is Cord could step off the baseball field 4yrs removed from playing an actual football game & be the starting QB much less sweep the big 3. I just think that's asking too much of a kid who was not a polished passer 4yrs ago & now hadn't thrown a football in 4yrs to hop off the minor league bus & be accurate enough to lead us in the SEC.

no, as a rs jr, he could. of course not as a fr or rs fr

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2015, 01:43 PM
no, as a rs jr, he could. of course not as a fr or rs fr

Gotcha my bad.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-14-2015, 01:45 PM

Now, say he gives baseball this year and next, then he comes to MSU & redshirts and he will be a RS FR with Fitz/Staley playing as RS Seniors. Then, he has 3 legit years to compete with Tiano to be the guy. That's the angle I'm selling him if I'm Mullen..

jumbo
05-14-2015, 01:48 PM
probably would have just taken 1 of them

smootness
05-14-2015, 02:36 PM
I'm fine with the guys we have and the ones we're recruiting. I'd take Sandberg if he comes, but I'm not overly hoping he does. I'll take it either way.

justwin
05-14-2015, 03:34 PM

Staley for sure would've been a priority. go out on a limb and say that Staley is Mullen's biggest QB target & and subsequent sign since he's been @ MSU. I put Staley as a 5 star target up there with Scam post Juco. I think Sandberg would be his #3 top target. Dak probably #5-6 in terms of target priority. Dobbs was #8 or so.

But back to Staley...I think, for good & bad, he's a cross between Vick and Scam. Yeah, high praise but the fact that he was able to get him to decommit at the height of Vandy and then come to MSU was a huge get. The only knock out there on him is getting run off his HS team, but I don't hold that against them. There's a ton of bad HS football coaches, a ton, and when you as a player know that you're better than the coach then that sucks since you only get one shot at playing HS ball and you don't get to choose your coach. That's why good HS coaches always win wherever they are regardless of resources.

If Staley is able to grow and develop like 90% of Mullen's MSU players, he has a chance to eclipse what Dak has done. All he has to do is be a "normal" MSU Mullen fball player....overachieve, work hard, stay out of trouble, etc to be a superstar. That's how good he is.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2015, 03:40 PM
At the time of signing Cord was far & away Mullen biggest QB get. I can agree that Staley is probably #2. Cord was Tebow 2.0. He fit Mullen offense to a T & was ready made for the SEC. He was talked about as being everything that Dak has become. Staley signing was made so much greater off the fact that we didn't get Cord to campus. I do agree with you on the potential & ceiling that Staley has. His ceiling is far & away the highest of any QB that has ever stepped on MSU campus & I don't believe I'm exaggerating. He has a chance to be that good.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-14-2015, 03:42 PM
I have thought along these same lines since he signed but it has kind of wavered as of late. Everyone seems to be higher on Fitz than Staley.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-14-2015, 03:48 PM
I have thought along these same lines since he signed but it has kind of wavered as of late. Everyone seems to be higher on Fitz than Staley.

People have seen more of Fitz than Staley & Fitz has looked really good. Out of sight out of mind espicially when the guy they're seeing is good too. It's going to be a great battle next spring.

maroonmania
05-14-2015, 04:13 PM
People have seen more of Fitz than Staley & Fitz has looked really good. Out of sight out of mind espicially when the guy they're seeing is good too. It's going to be a great battle next spring.

Exactly, we have NOTHING to judge Staley off of. Heck, we got to see some of Fitz last year during Spring while Staley was still in HS. Finally get a Spring with Staley here and he is hurt the whole time. Believe he was even hurt during most of the Orange Bowl practice time as well.