PDA

View Full Version : Palmeiro for Head Coach!!

Bucky Dog
05-04-2015, 09:30 PM
His sons said he wants and needs to get back into baseball. How about Cohen at least hiring him as hitting coach? And I'm dead ass serious.

TheRef
05-04-2015, 09:32 PM
Raffy and Cohen on the same staff on hitting? I see that going over about as well as throwing your cat into water....

HereComesTheSpiral
05-04-2015, 09:35 PM
Raffy and Cohen on the same staff on hitting? I see that going over about as well as throwing your cat into water....

My cat likes water so there's a chance.

Todd4State
05-04-2015, 09:37 PM
Bad idea. Palmeiro is pro-Polk supporter. He sent one of his sons to UAB despite a legit offer from MSU.

And yes, things have smoothed over, but it's just not worth it.

The best alumni hire we could make IMO would be Travis Chapman- and that is a pie in the sky type of deal.

msstate7
05-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Bad idea. Palmeiro is pro-Polk supporter. He sent one of his sons to UAB despite a legit offer from MSU.

And yes, things have smoothed over, but it's just not worth it.

The best alumni hire we could make IMO would be Travis Chapman- and that is a pie in the sky type of deal.

Would love to have Travis chapman back in the program

Pinto
05-04-2015, 09:48 PM
I agree bring Raffy back as hitting coach and let him do his job.

My dream coaching team for State is Nat Showalter, HC; Palmero, Hitting coach; Brantley, Pitching Coach

shoeless joe
05-04-2015, 09:49 PM

Same here...no idea how he'd be as a coach but I love to hear jim Ellis and his extreme emphasizing TRAvis CHAPman.

blacklistedbully
05-04-2015, 09:56 PM
What, no Will Clark for hitting coach?

Todd4State
05-04-2015, 10:00 PM

I would too- but he's with the Yankees right now, soooo.

I thought he was a manager on one of their minor league teams, but I saw today that he is a minor league defensive instructor. Assuming we make changes we could make a Butch type offer- but I doubt he would come back unless he just wanted to get into college baseball. I don't think minor league coaches get paid a ton- but once you get out you risk potential connections.

Todd4State
05-04-2015, 10:01 PM
What, no Will Clark for hitting coach?

He has a cushy job with the Giants. And I'm sure they treat him well. Plus he doesn't have to recruit.

Todd4State
05-04-2015, 10:02 PM
I agree bring Raffy back as hitting coach and let him do his job.

My dream coaching team for State is Nat Showalter, HC; Palmero, Hitting coach; Thigpen, Pitching Coach

I like it- but you better have someone on that staff that can recruit.

Bucky Dog
05-04-2015, 10:04 PM

If he relinquished some power. I am talking about philosophy and approach at the plate with the right mechanics. You can hit home runs and bunt!!**

Todd4State
05-04-2015, 10:06 PM
My perfect staff would be HC- Cohen, PC- Butch, HC- Travis Chapman or Jarrod Parks, volunteer assistant Ed Easley to coach catchers.

I really think Parks is an up and coming coach. I'd like to have him on the staff in some capacity. I will say that I really like UCF's hitting coach.

bulldogcountry1
05-05-2015, 09:37 AM
I vote for Jarrod Parks, if we must go the alumni route. He is a Cohen product, so there should be a good relationship there. I would put feelers out on Chapman, though.

I always enjoyed Parks' Wells Lamont-style batting gloves.

Irondawg
05-05-2015, 09:54 AM
I love the way we throw out names with absolutely no idea of their ability coach hitting. Some guys are very technical and can teach a variety of approaches and other guys were just great natural hitters and have trouble translating that to lesser talented players.

I think we can all agree however that we need to revamp our hitting approach as well as the type of hitting talent we bring in

msstate7
05-05-2015, 10:15 AM
I love the way we throw out names with absolutely no idea of their ability coach hitting. Some guys are very technical and can teach a variety of approaches and other guys were just great natural hitters and have trouble translating that to lesser talented players.

I think we can all agree however that we need to revamp our hitting approach as well as the type of hitting talent we bring in
Could it get any worse? Haha

shoeless joe
05-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Funny how all of the sudden we've gotten so many hitting mechanics experts on this board this year. In reality mechanics aren't our biggest downfall...approach and strategy are much more linked to what we've seen this year.

Also amusing is how two names that are being thrown out, parks and chapman, had overly unorthodox stances that would not work for 90% of baseball players. Not saying they couldn't teach the art of hitting, just that I find it interesting.

TheRef
05-05-2015, 10:27 AM
Well Parks has coaching experience, albeit at EMCC, but we at least know that he can teach players halfway correctly.

Dawg61
05-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Jeff Brantley as HeadC and Palmeiro as HittingC. Brantley is the most even keeled of the bunch and the best baseball mind too. Would love to bring back Thunder & Lightning though. We had an attitude back then. Now we're just a glorified teeball team bunting and walking all game long. No thank you.

bulldogcountry1
05-05-2015, 01:07 PM

If only people who really knew what they were talking about could post about this stuff, then Will James wouldn't have anyone to talk to.

Mjoelner34
05-05-2015, 01:21 PM
Would love to bring back Thunder & Lightning though. We had an attitude back then. Now we're just a glorified teeball team bunting and walking all game long. No thank you.

Wonder how Clark would react to the ass-clowning in the dugout while we're getting beat?

archdog
05-05-2015, 10:19 PM
If he relinquished some power. I am talking about philosophy and approach at the plate with the right mechanics. You can hit home runs and bunt!!**

No flippin way. There is no scenario where you would need a guy to bunt and or hit a home run. Teach them to bunt only and if the situation doesn't require a bunt, look at the third strike or ground out to the pitcher.

Edited to add, this was my first baseball post. Usually I am a huge fan but I somehow missed the entire season. Work and a 2 year old.

War Machine Dawg
05-05-2015, 10:29 PM
No flippin way. There is no scenario where you would need a guy to bunt and or hit a home run. Teach them to bunt only and if the situation doesn't require a bunt, look at the third strike or ground out to the pitcher.

Edited to add, this was my first baseball post. Usually I am a huge fan but I somehow missed the entire season. Work and a 2 year old.

Count your blessings. You haven't missed anything.

/duck for bashing The Meddler's offensive strategy