PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and opinions from yours truly

Coach 57
05-04-2015, 01:50 PM
I know I've been gone for quite a while but I've been on here from time to time just seeing who and what's being said. I did go to the spring game and was pleasantly surprised by some things. Good to be back momentarily and share my thoughts with you guys. Here are my thoughts in order of what I've seen that blew me away, and yes it IS in order not necessarily in order of importance but it is in order of my level of being blown away.

Nick Fitz looked REALLY good! I know some of you guys are Staley guys and that's fine. This is not an indictment of him, but he better smell the coffee and know that Fitz is going to be REALLY hard to surpass. From what I see, Dan really likes this kid too. He's tough, he's determined and he's talented. These are things YOU CAN NOT COACH! These things make it easier to coach when your not forcing a kid to see he need to lead. Or that he needs to toughen up. Or that he lacks being determined to seize the opp. Staley may be (and probably is) more talented, but those first two things are CRUCIAL for developing talent. That's why guys like BMac, Fletch, Gabe and Dak are some of CDM's favs. Your not "wasting time" developing character. They ARE character! Nick is the same way. Besides who says talent ALWAYS translates to success? Look at guys like Cam Newton, he's more talented than Russell Wilson but that doesn't always translate to success on the field. It showed a lot of determination from Nick getting here in Dec a few yrs ago. It spoke well if him trying to get a jump on Staley by learning the playbook and sets. It showed all spring and the spring game. He's going to be difficult to surpass.

Our starting front 4 is REALLY, REALLY good. But after that I don't know. And you can't speak about how well they look without speaking about Fitz because he faced most of those guys. They looked good (1st team front 4). So I'm curious as to see what Turner's coaching is going to do with these guys once they get off the field. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Turner CAN coach his tail off. But if they pull his first team guys and put in these 2nd & 3rd rotational guys, we should get after him. Right now these guys aren't READY. But a lot can happen between now and kickoff in growth. James, AJ, RyBrown, Jones and even big brother looked good so far. But only time'll tell HOW good. One injury and it could be trouble. I saw where on another thread they were talking about Arky. Let me tell you that game is going to be TOUGH! I think they could win the west this year. It depends on their front 4. If they can slow offenses down enough to let the pace of the game slow down, they can beat ANYBODY! But then again so can we.

Dak looked a lot better and more polished as a passer in the game. I've seen him tighten up his throwing motion a bit and he has far better touch on his passes. If he can understand NOT to force it, this year he could do something awesome. If you asked me today, what do you think about him this year? I knew he had little shot to win the heisman last year. He wasn't polished enough and honestly he struggled right when it was time to peak. He peaked early and he got "found" (coach speak for film on him was REALLY broken down and applied). But that was LAST year. I was never on the band wagon last year, but I think he stands a VERY good shot at winning it this year. The QB field is down (draft wise) and he is primed for a monumental year. God bless guys!

FlabLoser
05-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Agree on Upig. They were pretty good down the stretch last year and I think they'll get better.

FISHDAWG
05-04-2015, 03:35 PM
I agree Fitz looks like the real deal. I have yet to see Staley and can't wait to see who wins the job next year because I keep hearing both are good.

maroonmania
05-04-2015, 05:09 PM
I agree Fitz looks like the real deal. I have yet to see Staley and can't wait to see who wins the job next year because I keep hearing both are good.

Staley is a legend or myth at this point. We've heard about him but nobody has ever really seen him play so who knows what to think.

smootness
05-04-2015, 05:23 PM

This. I would hope nobody is a 'Staley guy' or a 'Fitz guy'. I don't care which one wins the job, they're going to be good.

War Machine Dawg
05-04-2015, 06:25 PM
Always love hearing insights from C57. He flat brings it. Awesome post, cat daddy.

Saltydog
05-04-2015, 06:35 PM
because I don't see us winning 10 or 11 games this year. That could make the difference between being a Heisman winner and a contender.

CadaverDawg
05-04-2015, 06:40 PM
because I don't see us winning 10 or 11 games this year. That could make the difference between being a Heisman winner and a contender.

I agree. I've been trying to avoid being a downer with all the positive vibes, but I think our fans thinking we win 9+ this year are going to be disappointed. I think we win 7-8 regular season max. Our schedule is tough.

Coach34
05-04-2015, 06:51 PM
I agree. I've been trying to avoid being a downer with all the positive vibes, but I think our fans thinking we win 9+ this year are going to be disappointed. I think we win 7-8 regular season max. Our schedule is tough.

Everybody's schedule in the West is tough- not just us

Ole Missus plays Us, Bama, and Auburn on the road
Bama plays @State, @Georgia, @A&M, and @Auburn
UPig plays @Bama, @Ole Missus, @LSU
A&M plays at @Ole Missus, @LSU, UPig in JerryWorld
Auburn plays @LSU then plays us the next week, @UPig, @A&M- plus the toughest home schedule in the SEC- State, OM, Georgia, Bama
LSU plays @State then home vs Auburn the next week, @Ole Missus, @T-Town, @SC...plus their November is Bama, UPig, Ole Missus, A&M

blacklistedbully
05-04-2015, 07:15 PM
Agree on Upig. They were pretty good down the stretch last year and I think they'll get better.

Yes, they were impressive. That said, Philon, Flowers & Spaight were HUGE parts of their D last year. I have to wonder if they see a little drop off defensively. Let's now foget how much havoc Flowers & Philon caused last year on their D-line! They were a helluva duo.

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2015, 08:28 PM
This. I would hope nobody is a 'Staley guy' or a 'Fitz guy'. I don't care which one wins the job, they're going to be good.
I'll go ahead and claim it - I'm a Fitz guy. After watching the kid closely his SR year, I can echo a lot of what Coach57 says. He has that "It" factor that is so critical for our system to work. I'm not anti-Staley, but when you see the way Fitz approaches the game and the way the other players gravitate to him (at least in HS), it is hard not to be a fan. As I've been saying for 2 years now - Nick Fitzgerald is the steal of that class.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-04-2015, 09:03 PM
I'm not a "Staley guy" but I have said I think he's our future QB. It's going to be a helluva battle with Fitz & whoever wins it will be more than capable of leading the team next year. I just think Staley will be that guy.

BrunswickDawg
05-04-2015, 09:09 PM
I'm not a "Staley guy" but I have said I think he's our future QB. It's going to be a helluva battle with Fitz & whoever wins it will be more than capable of leading the team next year. I just think Staley will be that guy.
Man, have we come a Lloooonnnggg way at the QB position!

Pollodawg
05-04-2015, 09:09 PM

Bama
LSU
and OM all come to 'Vegas.

The toughest road games we will have are AU and Arkansas, imo. Mizzou is good, but they also lost to Indiana last seaosn and play in a joke division. Mizzou would be a mid-tier West team in my humble opinion.

The possibility to win nine or more is definitely there.
Heck, split Arkansas and AU, and we are in a decent position to win the West.

Coach34
05-04-2015, 09:30 PM

Its a kid thats a little more talented naturally vs a kid that has "IT"

But the bottom line is that we have 2 QB's that will be good enough to win SEC football games

blacklistedbully
05-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Its a kid thats a little more talented naturally vs a kid that has "IT"

But the bottom line is that we have 2 QB's that will be good enough to win SEC football games

Initial thoughts were Tyler Russell was a more talented QB, and he did set records for a QB at State. But look at what Dak has done as his replacement. Dak has, "it".

Of course, he is a better for for our offense, too. As much as I appreciated TR sticking with us, he could have done better under a system more suited to his style.

Coach34
05-04-2015, 10:26 PM
Initial thoughts were Tyler Russell was a more talented QB, and he did set records for a QB at State. But look at what Dak has done as his replacement. Dak has, "it".

At no point have I ever once thought that Tyler Russell had more talent than Prescott

missouridawg
05-04-2015, 10:36 PM
At no point have I ever once thought that Tyler Russell had more talent than Prescott

Me neither.

smootness
05-04-2015, 11:24 PM

As I've said before, we have Dak Prescott. That changes everything. I know we've never had a QB like this, but I will be shocked if we win 7 and disappointed if we win 8.

If we're a 7-8 win team overall, Dak alone gets us to 9 or 10 on top of that. He's the only QB in the conference that scares you and makes you gameplan completely around him. If our OL holds up and plays well, no one will be able to stop us on offense. No one.

DancingRabbit
05-05-2015, 12:57 AM

Our schedule is always tough. With Bama, LSU and UM at home, one could argue this schedule is easier than last. Trading Vandy for Missouri is an obvious negative.

As has been discussed, all this talent we're losing to the NFL was a bunch of 3-stars and walk-ons that many "experts" scoffed at. The replacements are arguably more talented.

If most of our key players stay healthy, I think we have a good chance to be just as good this year as last. But this year I think Dak and Dan will handle success a lot better.

Rather than "7-8 wins max", I see that as our worst case. I see 10 or 11 max. And for the record, as of now I would predict 9-3.

Coach34
05-05-2015, 06:08 AM
One of the differences that can't be ignored about this year's team vs previous teams is the weapons we have on offense. Prescott, Wilson, and Ross are draft picks with the first two capable of being 1st rounders- but definitely top 3 rounds. Our RB's are big and physical. Our OL is going to be physical.

The he offense in 2015 will yet again- be the best we have ever had. We just need the defensive depth to grow up

SheltonChoked
05-05-2015, 07:33 AM
I trust and know Brunswick, but the best thing I heard about Fitz having the "it" factor was listening to Players on BSR. It was a Gene's page-esk question of which player on the team do you want as your wing man at a bar. All three players picked Nick Fitz. That doesn't mean anything if he cannot play, but tells me a lot about how much he's liked by the older players.

FISHDAWG
05-05-2015, 07:37 AM

maybe not in "over-all" talent but make no mistake about it - Russell was the better passer and that can't be rationally argued ... he just couldn't scramble in order to make the most of that ability

Coach34
05-05-2015, 08:22 AM
He's more accurate up to 20 yards- but Prescott makes quicker decisions. Tyler's clock is slow and that is what kills him. And yeah- being no factor in the run game made him a bad fit for our offense

1bigdawg
05-05-2015, 09:42 AM
He's more accurate up to 20 yards- but Prescott makes quicker decisions. Tyler's clock is slow and that is what kills him. And yeah- being no factor in the run game made him a bad fit for our offense

Making good quick decisions is the most important think in a QB. And experience can be a real factor there. This is where we don't know anything about Staley. A lot of people on here say he is more"talented" than Fitz, but he has not played in public since the first couple of games of his Senior year in HS. I believe they are talking about as a passer and as an athlete. We (fans) have watched Fitz enough to feel pretty good about his decision making ability.

1bigdawg
05-05-2015, 09:45 AM
I call our odd number year schedules the feast or famine schedules. We play the traditionally tougher games (Bama and LSU) at home and the traditionally weaker ones on the road. A pretty good team that easily makes a bowl game in even years can struggle to win enough for a bowl game in odd ones. However, these are the best years for a great team to win a championship.

I believe we will be 11-1. We have a great team.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-05-2015, 09:51 AM
Making good quick decisions is the most important think in a QB. And experience can be a real factor there. This is where we don't know anything about Staley. A lot of people on here say he is more"talented" than Fitz, but he has not played in public since the first couple of games of his Senior year in HS. I believe they are talking about as a passer and as an athlete. We (fans) have watched Fitz enough to feel pretty good about his decision making ability.

Not that I disagree but is 2 spring games really enough to decide a person's decision making ability?

Political Hack
05-05-2015, 10:52 AM
the schedule is brutal, but I can't help but think about this combo:

Offense: more big plays AND a more physical ground game.
Defense: more turnovers AND less big plays given up.

We're going to be better. It's just a question of how we match up against the rest of the West. I suspect LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, and A&M will all be better too... and 3 of those are away.

1bigdawg
05-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Not that I disagree but is 2 spring games really enough to decide a person's decision making ability?

I thought I was pretty clear that was what we as fans saw. Mullen has seen them a lot more in practice and I trust his (your) decision. But you can understand how the fans are more comfortable with someone they have seen be successful on some scale in spring games and, in Brunswick's case, in high school.

My real point was that measurables like throwing and athletic ability, while important, are not the only or even the most important determinant of who makes a good QB.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-05-2015, 11:42 AM
I thought I was pretty clear that was what we as fans saw. Mullen has seen them a lot more in practice and I trust his (your) decision. But you can understand how the fans are more comfortable with someone they have seen be successful on some scale in spring games and, in Brunswick's case, in high school.

My real point was that measurables like throwing and athletic ability, while important, are not the only or even the most important determinant of who makes a good QB.

Oh I agree with you just saying that a couple of spring games isn't a big sample size.

CadaverDawg
05-05-2015, 12:46 PM
the schedule is brutal, but I can't help but think about this combo:

Offense: more big plays AND a more physical ground game.
Defense: more turnovers AND less big plays given up.

We're going to be better. It's just a question of how we match up against the rest of the West. I suspect LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, and A&M will all be better too... and 3 of those are away.

Yep, while we DO get some tough games at home...we damn well better win em, bc all key toss ups against improved teams are on the road.

I think 9 or 10 wins is a stretch. I see 7-8 on the schedule, but I hope I'm wrong. New LT, new RB, loss of DL depth....gonna be tough to win 9 IMO. Again, hope I'm wrong and we win 12+

msstate7
05-05-2015, 12:54 PM
Yep, while we DO get some tough games at home...we damn well better win em, bc all key toss ups against improved teams are on the road.

I think 9 or 10 wins is a stretch. I see 7-8 on the schedule, but I hope I'm wrong. New LT, new RB, loss of DL depth....gonna be tough to win 9 IMO. Again, hope I'm wrong and we win 12+

I think 9 wins will be tough too, but I don't think the west is as top heavy as it used to be. Lsu and bama aren't what they used to be. Om lost their qb. Arkansas lost their 3 best defensive players. Auburn lost their qb, rb, wr, and weren't great last year. aTm still has defensive question marks. When I look at the west, I think we can win or lose every game. I think we could be anywhere from 10-2 to 6-6.

BrunswickDawg
05-05-2015, 02:04 PM
Oh I agree with you just saying that a couple of spring games isn't a big sample size.
It's not, and my "in person" sample size is only a handful of games and digging deep on game info and what coverage the local news gave.

But, as I know you know, you can see a lot in how players interact, how their coaches talk about them - and the way their opponents talk about them. I've been around some top level talent and when you have opposing players or coaches tell you things like "we just knew we had no chance, because of X and the way he runs the game" you know you have a special player. I only have had a HS coach tell me that about a handful of players over the years. The only two I've ever heard that about here in BWK are Adam Wainright and Nick Fitzgerald.