PDA

View Full Version : Buy or Sell: CJ Johnson would have been drafted this weekend had he chosen MSU?

ShotgunDawg
05-04-2015, 11:35 AM
The CJ Johnson recruitment took place in 2011 & this weekend MSU had Preston Smith, Benadrick McKinney, & Josh Robinson all drafted from that class while Ole Miss just had Golson.

So, buy or sell, CJ Johnson would be a millionaire & have all the white girls his heart could desire today if he had signed with MSU instead of Ole Miss

I say buy.

Really Clark?
05-04-2015, 11:44 AM
Sell. He would be in the same place as Quay. Where he signed didn't change who he really was at heart. There is a reason he is there and why he hasn't produced to his rating, yet.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-04-2015, 11:51 AM
Buy. He would've been a 3-4yr starter at MLB here. People don't like him bc of his recruitment but he's a pretty good kid who doesn't get in trouble & is getting ready to graduate. He's the best MLB I've seen instate in the past 10yrs & yes that does include Leo.

ShotgunDawg
05-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Amazing how people make poor decisions in life. I'm sure whatever he got from Ole Miss isn't close to what he could've gotten by playing the correct position & getting drafted in a spot in which his talent should.

BulldogBear
05-04-2015, 12:16 PM
I'd rather go buy/sell whether a "new" junior member with less than 5 post count will be on this thread before it gets to two pages...

...are you just trolling them Shotgun?***

ShotgunDawg
05-04-2015, 12:18 PM
I'd rather go buy/sell whether a "new" junior member with less than 5 post count will be on this thread before it gets to two pages...

...are you just trolling them Shotgun?***

No, I don't get involved in the whole "ban or not to ban" discussion. I just like good discussion & could really care less about who posts here.

bulldawg28
05-04-2015, 12:18 PM
I'd he playing LB this fall?

codeDawg
05-04-2015, 12:23 PM
Buy. He would've been a 3-4yr starter at MLB here. People don't like him bc of his recruitment but he's a pretty good kid who doesn't get in trouble & is getting ready to graduate. He's the best MLB I've seen instate in the past 10yrs & yes that does include Leo.

It's a shame he had to play out of position there. I don't know if he would have started at MLB with BMac here, but he would not have played DE.

msstate7
05-04-2015, 12:24 PM
I'd he playing LB this fall?

I remember cross saying on head to head that CJ was at mlb during spring and was the most impressive player out there

Johnson85
05-04-2015, 12:26 PM
The CJ Johnson recruitment took place in 2011 & this weekend MSU had Preston Smith, Benadrick McKinney, & Josh Robinson all drafted from that class while Ole Miss just had Golson.

So, buy or sell, CJ Johnson would be a millionaire & have all the white girls his heart could desire today if he had signed with MSU instead of Ole Miss

I say buy.

Not sure but I think he'd be better now as far as draft position. I think our needs at LB would have forced us to get him in shape, and then he would have had McKinney pushing him. Not sure if his weight contributed to any of his injuries but there's also the possibility that would have been helped. If he performs at MLB this year and is pretty good, then it will be clear that he was hurt by going to UM and spending 3 yrs playing a position that wouldn't get him to the pros.

confucius say
05-04-2015, 12:33 PM

Better than bmac? I'm guessing you would move bmac to d end? Bc I don't think he could play Sam linebacker

Coach34
05-04-2015, 12:51 PM
BMac played the run well but was average at best in coverage. I still think McKinney should be a 4-3 DE- he would make millions.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Better than bmac? I'm guessing you would move bmac to d end? Bc I don't think he could play Sam linebacker

Would've moved BMac to OLB & he would've been KJ Wright 2.0.

Alldawg
05-04-2015, 01:29 PM

No one should argue with AKA Dan Mullen. Who ever stuck that on your profile deserves a nice raise!!

Ifyouonlyknew
05-04-2015, 01:32 PM
No one should argue with AKA Dan Mullen. Who ever stuck that on your profile deserves a nice raise!!

LOL I had never noticed that. Salute to whoever put that on there.

justwin
05-04-2015, 01:33 PM

I say buy.

Tough to say about making millions. However, I'd say "buy" in that he would've positioned himself better to play LB in the NFL @ MSU with multiple years experience playing LB. Possibly a 3rd day pick.

What's bizarre is that he was promised playing time immediately in Oxford, yet he's never been able to crack the LB rotation in Oxford which was depleted to begin with. That's what concerning & it's not like you can blame that on off the field issues b/c he's been eligible ever since he arrived. Either it's a talent issue or the inability to grasp schemes issue on his part to not play LB. Now, rinse/repeat 4 years later and it seems that he's a stop gap to fill another depleted LB group in Oxford.

The real concern for him for his professional career is if he struggles vs Bama, Vandy, and Gators in successive weeks early, will they move him back to his comfort zone on the DL. If that happens, then that virtually eliminates any shot at a pro career. I have to think he's going to get challenged ALOT in Tuscaloosa stopping those big RBs they have.

I know if I'm a DC, I'm challenging him. Plus, that's going to be the tape the NFL scouts view so that game is going to go along way on his pro career. The same Bama game where they are going to be in Tuscaloosa and keyed on payback.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Tough to say about making millions. However, I'd say "buy" in that he would've positioned himself better to play LB in the NFL @ MSU with multiple years experience playing LB. Possibly a 3rd day pick.

What's bizarre is that he was promised playing time immediately in Oxford, yet he's never been able to crack the LB rotation in Oxford which was depleted to begin with. That's what concerning & it's not like you can blame that on off the field issues b/c he's been eligible ever since he arrived. Either it's a talent issue or the inability to grasp schemes issue on his part to not play LB. Now, rinse/repeat 4 years later and it seems that he's a stop gap to fill another depleted LB group in Oxford.

The real concern for him for his professional career is if he struggles vs Bama, Vandy, and Gators in successive weeks early, will they move him back to his comfort zone on the DL. If that happens, then that virtually eliminates any shot at a pro career. I have to think he's going to get challenged ALOT in Tuscaloosa stopping those big RBs they have.

I know if I'm a DC, I'm challenging him. Plus, that's going to be the tape the NFL scouts view so that game is going to go along way on his pro career. The same Bama game where they are going to be in Tuscaloosa and keyed on payback.

He was playing LB early in his freshman year but they didn't have a DE who could pressure the QB. It was only supposed to be a sometime thing but he turned out to be their best DE so they kept him there. Even tried to put weight on him but it just didn't take. If he comes to MSU he would've been coached up & his natural abilities would've been showcased.

HancockCountyDog
05-04-2015, 01:54 PM

Didn't he get hurt and miss a season? I agree with Dan, I thought CJ was a great MLB in high school. Im not sure he will have the sideline to sideline speed to play MLB for the bears, but he was fantastic in high school.

I always thought Golson was stupid to pass up the red sox money, looks like he made the right call. From everyone I talk to in Goula, he is a good kid so happy for him. I like it when coast kids do well, we have such a poor track record of talented athletes giving away opportunities.

BeastMan
05-04-2015, 02:21 PM
I think the biggest advantage CJ would have had at MSU would be playing on real grass not lined up across from 300 lb tackles all the time. I think he could have had a good chance to be much healthier at MSU.

confucius say
05-04-2015, 02:29 PM

Yea, outside strong side lb is what I meant by Sam. Only trouble I see with him playing Sam is same thing coach 34 pointed out, his coverage skills are average at best. In zone, he can kinda manage, but would struggle mightily in man if playing olb.

Jack Lambert
05-04-2015, 02:31 PM

This. He is playing out of position at Ole Miss. No way he gets drafted as t DE.

Coach34
05-04-2015, 02:57 PM
LOL I had never noticed that. Salute to whoever put that on there.

you're welcome

messageboardsuperhero
05-04-2015, 05:38 PM
I remember cross saying on head to head that CJ was at mlb during spring and was the most impressive player out there

I don't doubt that for a second. He was a stud MLB in high school and should have been playing the position his entire career.

BossDawg
05-04-2015, 06:00 PM

To be fair, every player on UMiss' roster is the most impressive player they have during the spring. You'd think their entire team was poised to win the Heisman by listening to their spring evaluations.