PDA

View Full Version : About the Arkansas game..

justwin
05-04-2015, 11:34 AM
I know a lot of concern about this game next year. Yes, they have an excellent running game, but we run the ball equally well.

I think the question is whether them losing their DE, DT, and LB to the draft is going to hurt more than us losing our DE & two LBs to the draft and graduating our other 2 DTs. Both teams are going to focus on stopping the run.

I just don't know what Ark had behind Flowers, Philon, and Spath. I do know that MSU reloads quite well with our LBs and DTs. Can Ark reload equally to us?

Plus, MSU always seems to match up better with Bama and Ark b/c both teams play physical.

end of the day, I think them losing Derby @ TE will hurt them more allowing us to focus on Henry, their other exceptional TE who is the primary receiving target.

I just think this is a game that Dak wins b/c of the passing game > Ark's passing game. I think Ark was able to make both OM & LSU one-dimensional in their two wins last year, but couldn't do the same to MSU.

How do you guys see this game going down?

Dawg496
05-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I don't necessarily think its a talent thing when it comes to this matchup. On paper I'd say we should win but given that this game is at Arkansas, following our toughest game of the year (vs Bama) and preceding the Egg Bowl, there is certainly cause for concern.

All I know is if we can split Auburn and Arkansas, we win the West because I think we win every game at home and find a way to win at A&M and at Mizzou.

thf24
05-04-2015, 11:54 AM
I still say they won't be as good as last year. I don't see them being significantly better on offense, and they'll take a big step back on defense. I think they'll fall well short of the hype and expectations being loaded on them right now. It'll still be a tough game for us since it's on the road, though.

confucius say
05-04-2015, 12:38 PM
I still say they won't be as good as last year. I don't see them being significantly better on offense, and they'll take a big step back on defense. I think they'll fall well short of the hype and expectations being loaded on them right now. It'll still be a tough game for us since it's on the road, though.

Their ol is better. How much better will determine the game's outcome.

Johnson85
05-04-2015, 12:42 PM
I know a lot of concern about this game next year. Yes, they have an excellent running game, but we run the ball equally well.

I think the question is whether them losing their DE, DT, and LB to the draft is going to hurt more than us losing our DE & two LBs to the draft and graduating our other 2 DTs. Both teams are going to focus on stopping the run.

I just don't know what Ark had behind Flowers, Philon, and Spath. I do know that MSU reloads quite well with our LBs and DTs. Can Ark reload equally to us?

Plus, MSU always seems to match up better with Bama and Ark b/c both teams play physical.

end of the day, I think them losing Derby @ TE will hurt them more allowing us to focus on Henry, their other exceptional TE who is the primary receiving target.

I just think this is a game that Dak wins b/c of the passing game > Ark's passing game. I think Ark was able to make both OM & LSU one-dimensional in their two wins last year, but couldn't do the same to MSU.

How do you guys see this game going down?

Provided we show up focused and play a reasonable impression of our best game, we'll be fine. I don't see that happening. I see us showing up looking like a team in the teeth of its schedule to play in a state loaded with the spirits of the cousins of the indians under scott field.

I think this will be an ugly, sloppy game and the only reason I think we have a chance is we finally have the playmakers that we can make the few plays that make the difference. Not predicting a win, just think it's close to a toss-up. If I had to make a bet right now, I'd bet on Arkansas.

Dawgcentral
05-04-2015, 05:34 PM
It's that offensive line of Arkansas that concerns me. They're big and should be improved. I think it depends on how healthy, and how much gas our front seven has in them in that part of the schedule.

If they're in the hunt for the west, it'll be tough to take them out at their place.

War Machine Dawg
05-04-2015, 06:14 PM
I don't necessarily think its a talent thing when it comes to this matchup. On paper I'd say we should win but given that this game is at Arkansas, following our toughest game of the year (vs Bama) and preceding the Egg Bowl, there is certainly cause for concern.

All I know is if we can split Auburn and Arkansas, we win the West because I think we win every game at home and find a way to win at A&M and at Mizzou.

THIS. It's WHEN we play them that matters. Our record would be much better against them if we played them earlier in the year. Instead, we always come out flat after playing Bama and knowing that TSUN is next. I don't know why the hell the SEC won't work with us to move that game earlier and let us put a creampuff non-con team there or at least swap them and UK. Maybe we haven't ever asked, for that matter. And if we haven't, shame on us.

Todd4State
05-04-2015, 07:16 PM
THIS. It's WHEN we play them that matters. Our record would be much better against them if we played them earlier in the year. Instead, we always come out flat after playing Bama and knowing that TSUN is next. I don't know why the hell the SEC won't work with us to move that game earlier and let us put a creampuff non-con team there or at least swap them and UK. Maybe we haven't ever asked, for that matter. And if we haven't, shame on us.

I think a lot of that is Jackie not getting the team ready in the late 90's similar to LSU- "we can only get up for three games a year"- and then Arkansas having some really good play makers in the early 2000's that would basically kick our ass all by themselves like Matt Jones, Darren McFadden, or Ryan Mallett.

That said when we have had the better player like a Dak or an Anthony Dixon- we've won. So, I think it actually seems to come down to who has the better star player in this series. Let's not forget that we have beaten them three times in a row- including twice right before the Egg Bowl, including a must win situation in Little Rock where Arkansas is nearly unbeatable. And then Croom managed to beat them in 2008 before the Egg Bowl- and fairly convincingly. And that was not a well coached State team.

I think what happened with Ole Miss was they came into that game in a downward trend and the main reason why they won the Egg Bowl was because we had a horrible defensive game plan with literally no safeties combined with extra motivation on their part plus homefield advantage. Basically it was like us beating Eli in 2001. And then I think the downward trend for Ole Miss continued in the Peach Bowl.

Pollodawg
05-04-2015, 09:15 PM
I think a lot of that is Jackie not getting the team ready in the late 90's similar to LSU- "we can only get up for three games a year"- and then Arkansas having some really good play makers in the early 2000's that would basically kick our ass all by themselves like Matt Jones, Darren McFadden, or Ryan Mallett.

That said when we have had the better player like a Dak or an Anthony Dixon- we've won. So, I think it actually seems to come down to who has the better star player in this series. Let's not forget that we have beaten them three times in a row- including twice right before the Egg Bowl, including a must win situation in Little Rock where Arkansas is nearly unbeatable. And then Croom managed to beat them in 2008 before the Egg Bowl- and fairly convincingly. And that was not a well coached State team.

I think what happened with Ole Miss was they came into that game in a downward trend and the main reason why they won the Egg Bowl was because we had a horrible defensive game plan with literally no safeties combined with extra motivation on their part plus homefield advantage. Basically it was like us beating Eli in 2001. And then I think the downward trend for Ole Miss continued in the Peach Bowl.

This. It felt like JWS had certain games every season that he just didn't really give much of a crap about. LSU and Arkansas were two of em. We did well against OM, Bama, and Auburn.

CottonDog
05-04-2015, 10:47 PM
Brandon Allen still their QB? Then yeah...I'm not too worried about Arky.

bluelightstar
05-05-2015, 01:28 AM

That was my freshman year so I can tell you've forgotten. That was not convincing -- Ole Miss jumped out on Croom 2 TD's and was driving for OT when they missed a field goal. Not convincing at all. Arkansas will be hell this year for us....