PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's SEC Post-Spring Power Rankings

notsofarawaydawg
05-04-2015, 10:33 AM
SEC Power Rankings (http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/101153/sec-post-spring-power-rankings-4)

cowbellerheller
05-04-2015, 10:41 AM
How is this possible? We have a Heisman QB... they have no QB.

Dawg496
05-04-2015, 10:41 AM
The media seems extremely bullish on Arkansas and Tennessee.

I can kind of see Tennessee since they are in the East but there is no way Arkansas is anywhere close to the #5 best team in the SEC. I say that while anticipating that we will drop that game in Fayeteville.

Howboutdemdogs
05-04-2015, 10:46 AM
It was written by Edward Asswipe. Nuff said. He is all about keeping the OM smoke and mirrors game going in the media.

confucius say
05-04-2015, 10:50 AM
The media seems extremely bullish on Arkansas and Tennessee.

I can kind of see Tennessee since they are in the East but there is no way Arkansas is anywhere close to the #5 best team in the SEC. I say that while anticipating that we will drop that game in Fayeteville.

I think the ranking is irrespective of division and not intended to be an order of finish. If so, I agree with ark being ahead of tenn. Like you implied, tenn may finish with a better record bc they play in the east, but I think ark is better. I also would have us above tenn.

Coach34
05-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Flip us and Ole Missus and Asschaps actually wrote a pretty good ranking

HancockCountyDog
05-04-2015, 10:54 AM
Apparently QB play isn't important in college football anymore. Who Knew?

confucius say
05-04-2015, 10:56 AM
It was written by Edward Asswipe. Nuff said. He is all about keeping the OM smoke and mirrors game going in the media.

True. At least he does acknowledge how many guys we rotated last year and that our secondary will be better. But I'm not sure how you put a team third while acknowledging they have not found a qb and no mention of a ground game.

WeWonItAll(Most)
05-04-2015, 11:08 AM
True. At least he does acknowledge how many guys we rotated last year and that our secondary will be better. But I'm not sure how you put a team third while acknowledging they have not found a qb and no mention of a ground game.

Because of that historic 2013 recruiting class! It was the best recruiting class the world has ever seen!!!!!***

Really Clark?
05-04-2015, 11:12 AM
I think they keep basing so much of their success in that one class ranking (Bama is below them but yet has 5-6-7 straight years of higher rated players??) but also in the last sentence he states the defense could be even more talented. I'm just not convinced that the defense will match last years production. Talented in spots, absolutely. Even more talented at certain positions. But overall production, I see a bit of a drop off. And there cannot be an unbiased media member who has actually watched them this spring come away thinking the offense is close to their same level of production of the last few years. Which is basically middle SEC in total offense and a steady decline to the bottom part of the league in scoring last year.

msstate7
05-04-2015, 11:12 AM
Because of that historic 2013 recruiting class! It was the best recruiting class the world has ever seen!!!!!***

Meanwhile bama is behind them despite having 11 straight (seems like it) #1 classes

maroonmania
05-04-2015, 11:18 AM

And whatever OM does this year, they will likely take a significant step back next year given all the top JRs they will lose. I will say that if OM had a proven QB with a decent running game this year they would warrant being ranked very high, but they don't. They had the best defense in the country last year and still lost 4 games. I expect their offense to be weaker this year given their QB question so I doubt their overall result is going to be any better, probably worse.

PMDawg
05-04-2015, 11:20 AM

Ha - this would be my reply to him as well if I wasted my time with such things. Historic? There are 7 top 7 ranked classes each year...how is that historic? Perhaps he doesn't understand the meaning of the word "historic".

HancockCountyDog
05-04-2015, 11:20 AM
Meanwhile bama is behind them despite having 11 straight (seems like it) #1 classes

Bama is in trouble this year. Of course that means only 9-10 wins, but they could lose 2 or maybe even 3 SEC games. That is considered a disaster area for Bama.

Also, who in the hell is playing defense for AU that makes them number 1?

So by reading, QB play isn't important and defense isn't important. Sweet.

ShotgunDawg
05-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Here's a contradiction:

Asschaps has MSU 7th and LSU & Missouri following them, but in ESPN "Way to Early Top 25", LSU is ranked 16, Missouri 24th, & MSU is unranked.

So, ESPN is posting two different polls that are contradictory.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/101153/sec-post-spring-power-rankings-4

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12814346/ohio-state-buckeyes-lock-no-1-spot-too-early-top-25

Bothrops
05-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Arkansas will be better than OM. Bielema is building them the right way (inside out), and I expect them to be good as soon as this year.

If espn is bullish on anyone it's Ole Miss. No way they are #3. That's pretty ridiculous with no proven qb. Hell their offense could struggle for all they know. I think they will against the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
05-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Apparently QB play isn't important in college football anymore. Who Knew?

Apparently so. We've actually gotten to the point where people care more about recruiting rankings than who is actually on the field.

Amazing how little Asschaps & Sallee value the QB position. If this were the NFL, people would be laughing at them.

msstate7
05-04-2015, 11:34 AM
The qb position is so unimportant that 3 of the 4 playoff teams (osu, fsu, and Oregon) had elite qb play. Of the other new year 6, Msu x 2, Baylor, and tcu had qb's that will be drafted. OM had a qb sign a free agent deal. GT has an outstanding college qb.

justwin
05-04-2015, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=Really Clark?;366878]but also in the last sentence he states the defense could be even more talented. QUOTE]

this is what I don't understand.

to level set: TSUN#1 rated "scoring" defense gave up 13.8 points/game whereas the #50 rated "scoring" defense gave up 25.2. MSU gave up 19.4 and was ranked #12.

In 2014, OM vs the SEC West: gave up 21.5 pts/game. MSU vs the SEC west gave up 24.8 pts/game. So, about a field goal difference. Yes, MSU gave up some garbage points vs LSU like they did vs Ark so a wash.

In 2014, OM vs the SEC west + TCU gave up 24.4 while MSU vs SEC West + GT was 28.3. Again, about a FG difference.

So, what this really shows is that OM really cleaned up vs the nonconference games last year to get the #1 scoring defense. Also, shows that against the teams that matter they gave up about a FG better than MSU so the gap isn't as wide as portrayed.

Who is going to start and provide depth @ LB & DL for OM other than Kimchee & CJ? I just don't know.

BulldogBear
05-04-2015, 12:10 PM
This is from a different article by our good friend BS. He was saying who will overachieve and underachieve and of course, his bearwives are one of the overs.

Don't grace it with a click, just read:

One look at 2016 NFL draft prospects will tell you that Ole Miss is loaded, as Bleacher Report national NFL draft analyst Matt Miller notes.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time with Ohio State, Notre Dame and Ole Miss film this year. Loaded.
— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) May 3, 2015 ”
Despite that, there are still some big questions for the Rebels—particularly at running back.

Or are there?

Jordan Wilkins, Eugene Brazley and Akeem Judd all looked capable of providing the between-the-tackles threat that head coach Hugh Freeze has been desperately searching for over the last two seasons during the Rebels' spring game. If that happens, it doesn't really matter who wins the quarterback job because the eventual winner will have plenty of options outside and inside.

Would it really be overachieving if Ole Miss contends for the West? Well, yes. The running back problem is a two-year problem, and it hasn't been due to lack of effort from Freeze. They'll solve it this year, though, and be dancing in the College Football Playoff discussion in mid-November.

WITH THAT HERE ARE THE OTHERS JIK YOUR INTERESETED

Mizzou - over
Tennessee - over
LSU - under
Arkansas - under
Florida - under

confucius say
05-04-2015, 12:25 PM
This is from a different article by our good friend BS. He was saying who will overachieve and underachieve and of course, his bearwives are one of the overs.

Don't grace it with a click, just read:

One look at 2016 NFL draft prospects will tell you that Ole Miss is loaded, as Bleacher Report national NFL draft analyst Matt Miller notes.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time with Ohio State, Notre Dame and Ole Miss film this year. Loaded.
— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) May 3, 2015 ”
Despite that, there are still some big questions for the Rebels—particularly at running back.

Or are there?

Jordan Wilkins, Eugene Brazley and Akeem Judd all looked capable of providing the between-the-tackles threat that head coach Hugh Freeze has been desperately searching for over the last two seasons during the Rebels' spring game. If that happens, it doesn't really matter who wins the quarterback job because the eventual winner will have plenty of options outside and inside.

Would it really be overachieving if Ole Miss contends for the West? Well, yes. The running back problem is a two-year problem, and it hasn't been due to lack of effort from Freeze. They'll solve it this year, though, and be dancing in the College Football Playoff discussion in mid-November.

WITH THAT HERE ARE THE OTHERS JIK YOUR INTERESETED

Mizzou - over
Tennessee - over
LSU - under
Arkansas - under
Florida - under

Wow. He really says who your qb is doesn't matter.

Coach34
05-04-2015, 12:47 PM
There is one thing to take from this:After seeing us this Spring and realizing the kind of talent we have- Asschaps has broken from the "State lost too many starters and will finish last in the West" mode that dominated talk in Feb-March-April

HancockCountyDog
05-04-2015, 02:09 PM
There is one thing to take from this:After seeing us this Spring and realizing the kind of talent we have- Asschaps has broken from the "State lost too many starters and will finish last in the West" mode that dominated talk in Feb-March-April

Am I the only one that doesn't understand the lack of credit we are receiving for having far and away the best QB in the SEC. Not just QB, but far and away the best offensive weapon in the SEC that will touch the ball every offensive snap. Im just at a loss.

If Dak was a RB, I would get it, but we are talking about a dual threat QB with weapons at every skill position. Our OL would have to go back to 2011 to slow us down and that isn't realistic, so I just don't get how we aren't a top 5 team in the SEC by pretty much every talking head.

Im trying to think of a team that returned the most explosive player in the SEC for his senior season and the pundits or experts thought they would be significantly worse the following year.

QuadrupleOption
05-04-2015, 02:35 PM
SEC Power Rankings (http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/101153/sec-post-spring-power-rankings-4)

Wow. What is it about this:

While the Rebels didn't get much this spring out of WR Laquon Treadwell, OL Laremy Tunsil and LB Denzel Nkemdiche -- all are recovering from leg injuries -- they should be fine come fall. The offensive line appears deeper, but it was harassed by the injury bug this spring. The defense could be even more talented, but the Rebels aren't close to finding a quarterback.

that screams "#3 SEC team" to anyone?
Also the first line "That historic 2013 recruiting class is hungry for more than just a division title in Oxford." Hey man, they haven't even WON THE DIVISION TITLE YET.

War Machine Dawg
05-04-2015, 06:04 PM
I hope every damn one of these articles and OM blowjob pieces are taped all over our locker room this summer and this fall. A chip on the shoulder is important.

MSUDawg99
05-04-2015, 06:24 PM
I hope every damn one of these articles and OM blowjob pieces are taped all over our locker room this summer and this fall. A chip on the shoulder is important.

Ooof! Good idea. I'll bring them in the locker room this summer when I'm up for the ladies fb clinic. Ha!

messageboardsuperhero
05-04-2015, 06:24 PM
?I'm going to be spending a lot of time with Ohio State, Notre Dame and Ole Miss film this year. Loaded.
? Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) May 3, 2015 ?
Despite that, there are still some big questions for the Rebels?particularly at running back.

Or are there?

Who's going to play by far the most important position on the field? It don't matter... Maybe the dumbest statement I've read all week.

RougeDawg
05-04-2015, 06:25 PM
I see OM finishing 6-7th depending on the team A&M puts out there. Every other team in the West will finish ahead of the Bears. Asschaps is more delusional than the real bear delusionalists.