PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Bourbon Edition Part II - Drinking From the Bottom Shelf

SapperDawg
05-03-2015, 05:58 PM
So jbjones and I are sitting around sampling some bottom shelf bourbons. I have no idea why we do this, but the bottom shelf interests me greatly. Many of these are the same juice as very expensive, top shelf brands, just at a younger age.

We sampled:

Kentucky Tavern: Three years, wheat mash, 80 proof

Military Special: Four years, unknown, 80 proof

Ancient Age: Three years, 15% rye mash, 86 proof

Very Old Barton: Six years, 15% rye mash, 100 proof

Despite what is printed on the bottle, we strongly believe KT and MS are the exact same. At less than $10 a LITER, these are surprisingly drinkable if you are in a bind. They are 80 proof, so not that hot, but show their young age as having a front end kick without much complexity. If you are mixing for strangers or the masses during tailgating, these are two fine choices. I suspect if you refilled a bottle of Maker's with this, very few folks could tell the difference.

Ancient Age is a Buffalo Trace mash bill #2 bourbon, and like the two previous, is surprisingly drinkable for about $15 a bottle. It is a higher rye mash, and you definitely get the extra kick associated with that. Once again, probably not your everyday sipper, but if you are mixing, not a bad choice. Ancient Ancient Age Ten Star is the six year old version, and if you are in KY you can get AAA 10 Year.

VOB is a six year old bourbon, and there is no sweetness to the taste at all. Slight bite, and as expected, more depth of flavor than the others here. I should like this much more than I do, as I prefer a whiskey with more age, but I need to spend more time with this one. At less than $15 a bottle, this is one heckova value. I want to compare this to the Ancient Ancient Age soon.

Recommendations: Tailgate cocktail mixing using soft drinks the KT or AA are your friends. If you are mass mixing higher end cocktails like juleps, Old Fashions or Manhattans, go for the VOB.

I will try to update this with the AAA once I get my hands on it.

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/scumglove/1512D511-CA2E-4192-B511-4C8CD40E0D3A_zpsk4cwhbuk.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/scumglove/media/1512D511-CA2E-4192-B511-4C8CD40E0D3A_zpsk4cwhbuk.jpg.html)

State82
05-06-2015, 04:26 PM
I enjoy some good bourbon on occasion but am not an expert by any means. I really like reading reviews from someone who knows their whiskey. Good job!

Edited: I know this is not a review of the good stuff, but I was referencing your reviews in general.

SapperDawg
05-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Appreciate that, 82; and no, these were not good, but it was fun.

I had heard for years that Military Special was undrinkable swill, just colored grain alcohol - and it may have been at one point. It is definately not that now, and was very surprising to me. That is what got my started on this bottom shelf tour.

FlabLoser
05-08-2015, 01:30 AM
I'm curious to know which cheap bourbon is really good.

Right now, for me, that's Four Roses Small Batch. It is medium priced, but tastes better than several bourbons that cost twice as much. I suspect they will eventually raise the price or re-brand it as some premium thing.

SapperDawg
05-08-2015, 09:23 AM
I classify those premium bourbons in the $30-40 range as excellent value whiskeys, based on the market right now. Currently, I have these as top of the list:

1. Four Roses Small Batch - my favorite out there right now too, from a value side at about $31 a bottle.
2. Eagle Rare - $32 for a 10 year old single barrel is a steal.
3. Jefferson's Very Small Batch - $30 for a very good whiskey.
4. Woodford Reserve - $35 for a great every day drinker.

And for the $20-30 bottles:
1. Buffalo Trace - $25 for this 8 year old.
2. Elijah Craig 12 - $26 for this 12 year old. They took the age statement off of this one, so if you see a 12, you may want to buy it up.

NOTE: These are Alabama ABC store prices.