PDA

View Full Version : I thought Ross pitched his ass off today

Todd4State
05-02-2015, 07:55 PM
I didn't get to see the game, but I would be interested to know what adjustments he made if any. Namely using both sides of the plate. He deserved to win the game today and we just couldn't quite hold it for him.

If Ross can pitch like he did today going forward, we should finish the season strong.

mparkerfd20
05-02-2015, 08:26 PM
This was his best outting of the year, yes. Maybe he's figuring it out. I hate the year he's had cause he really is a great guy.

Homedawg
05-02-2015, 08:39 PM
I'm happy for Ross. Wish we had taken him out a batter earlier. But oh well

Schultzy
05-02-2015, 09:10 PM
He got jobbed on a strike three just before the two run single tha tied it.

He also struck Bama out on that Saturday game we lost, right down the middle called a ball. At least we found a way to overcome it today.

On the bright side, with Hump, Garner and Reynolds hitting so well and some pitchers coming around, maybe we aren't as far away as we think.

Todd4State
05-02-2015, 09:21 PM
He got jobbed on a strike three just before the two run single tha tied it.

He also struck Bama out on that Saturday game we lost, right down the middle called a ball. At least we found a way to overcome it today.

On the bright side, with Hump, Garner and Reynolds hitting so well and some pitchers coming around, maybe we aren't as far away as we think.

I hate to make excuses- but three out of our last four SEC weekends we've played teams that were in the top five in the country. We got our ass kicked by Ole Miss- but they got us in a bad pitching match up more than anything. And we should have won the Arkansas series.

I wouldn't be surprised if we finish the season strong.

The biggest thing that has killed us has been the bullpen- I expected Ross to be a lot better than he has been and thus I overrated us. If Ross had performed like he did today, we're probably looking at a two seed. It hasn't helped that guys like Daniel Brown and Trent Waddell have failed to step up as well. But that said, I think Hudson and Houston have started to come around and Fitts has been pretty good other than when he was hurt.

DistrictDawg92
05-02-2015, 09:46 PM
Ross did a good job of moving his ball about 6 inches off the outside corner of the plate today. When he does that he get's the batters reaching for it and hitting soft grounders or lazy fly balls to the outfield. Ross's control was his problem this year, i'm not so convinced it was the ball change. 2 years ago he never missed his spot by more than a couple of inches. This year he threw way too many balls on the inside half of the plate, which created a BP type atmosphere. I feel like this year he let his control issues get into his head and when a pitcher is thinking too hard about where the ball is gonna go instead of letting it fly to the mitt, it just gets worse. Also when a pitcher like him is around for 4 years, the league starts to figure him out. Either way, today he broke the MSU record for most appearances, 97 I think, and should be applauded for all he did for our program on and off the field.

basedog
05-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Ross pitched great, used his fast ball more today, had decent movement on his breaking balls, game should have ended in 9th with ground ball to Heck at 3rd, he booted it and the rest is history. Happy for Heck to get the game winner.

We played hard and that was great to see as well as the celebration at the end of the game. We need 3 wins in the next two series, maybe 4. Tn, Ga and Bama got swept, I do think we are better than Tn.

Bama and Msu 8-16
Tn and Ga 7-17

Todd4State
05-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Ross did a good job of moving his ball about 6 inches off the outside corner of the plate today. When he does that he get's the batters reaching for it and hitting soft grounders or lazy fly balls to the outfield. Ross's control was his problem this year, i'm not so convinced it was the ball change. 2 years ago he never missed his spot by more than a couple of inches. This year he threw way too many balls on the inside half of the plate, which created a BP type atmosphere. I feel like this year he let his control issues get into his head and when a pitcher is thinking too hard about where the ball is gonna go instead of letting it fly to the mitt, it just gets worse. Also when a pitcher like him is around for 4 years, the league starts to figure him out. Either way, today he broke the MSU record for most appearances, 97 I think, and should be applauded for all he did for our program on and off the field.

I don't think it was as much about the ball as some people think either. That does explain to me why he was trying to get every hitter to chase away to get them out the last time I saw him.

Smitty
05-02-2015, 10:09 PM
If Ross had performed like he did today, we're probably looking at a two seed.

That's asinine

Todd4State
05-02-2015, 10:20 PM
That's asinine

We have eight losses where we scored five runs or more- and then a few where we scored four runs. We win 5-6 of those that would put us at approximately 30 wins right now with six left to play + the SEC Tournament. So, roughly 32-34 win before the SEC Tournament.

Smitty
05-02-2015, 10:26 PM
One GD player would not take this team from missing Hoover to a 2 seed. That is an absurd unrealistic opinion.

DistrictDawg92
05-02-2015, 10:27 PM
That's asinine

Not so asinine. Before today we had lost 13 games in a row that Ross appeared in, turn those 13 games into 2013 Ross when he went 13-0 and we are looking at 37 wins right now. I know that's not exactly the way it works, but I do see where Todd is coming from. When someone you rely on to win 1/3 of your games turns into a liability, things take a turn for the worst.

Smitty
05-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Not so asinine. Before today we had lost 13 games in a row that Ross appeared in, turn those 13 games into 2013 Ross when he went 13-0 and we are looking at 37 wins right now. I know that's not exactly the way it works, but I do see where Todd is coming from. When someone you rely on to win 1/3 of your games turns into a liability, things take a turn for the worst.

His W-L record is irrevelant first of all. Just cause he appeared in a game that we lost doesn't mean we win if he's "Old Ross". He still gave up 3 runs today for those of you scoring at home. And nearly more if a piss rod doesn't go right at Rea the inning he entered the game.

No, Ross would not have a 10+ WAR fellas. Sorry but that's not how it works. Todds statement about us being a 2 seed was asinine.

DistrictDawg92
05-02-2015, 10:36 PM
His W-L record is irrevelant first of all. Just cause he appeared in a game that we lost doesn't mean we win if he's "Old Ross". He still gave up 3 runs today for those of you scoring at home. And nearly more if a piss rod doesn't go right at Rea the inning he entered the game.

No, Ross would not have a 10+ WAR fellas. Sorry but that's not how it works. Todds statement about us being a 2 seed was asinine.

I know it's irrelevant that's why i said "I know that's not exactly the way it works". You completely missed the point I made. When your most reliable pitcher turns into a BP coach for opposing hitters, your win column is going to take a serious hit. There are 10 plus losses on our schedule this year that would have been wins if we could've had Ross come in and did what he had done in the past. We blew so many leads due to having no one to come out of the bullpen and seal the game. If Ross had pitched like the All-American he used to be, I firmly believe we would've had more than 30 wins right now. Yes a 2-seed may be stretching it, but we would be a post-season team.

confucius say
05-02-2015, 10:50 PM
One GD player would not take this team from missing Hoover to a 2 seed. That is an absurd unrealistic opinion.

We are not missing Hoover. Stop being butt hurt bc this team is actually having some guys come around. Mintz, Hudson, Houston, Reynolds, hump, etc... I'm sure when we are a one or two seed in a regional next year you and war machine and rouge dawg will still be complaining. Fire cohenz****

sleepy dawg
05-02-2015, 11:19 PM
We are not missing Hoover. Stop being butt hurt bc this team is actually having some guys come around. Mintz, Hudson, Houston, Reynolds, hump, etc... I'm sure when we are a one or two seed in a regional next year you and war machine and rouge dawg will still be complaining. Fire cohenz****

Smitty is right though. 1 relief pitcher in baseball isn't going to take you to a 2 seed from the worst team in the conference.

Todd4State
05-02-2015, 11:26 PM

Then defend your position with something tangible like I did. Heck, we pretty much did that with Lindgren last year and a worse offense and we ended up being a borderline one seed per Kendall Rogers- and we did end up being a solid two. And I think the main reason for that was so that they could try to get a State/Ole Miss SR match up in Oxford.

We ended up with 35 wins at the end of the regular season this year and ended up a two- and based on very conservative estimates with a one more good relief pitcher, we should have around 32-34 wins.

Plus we've seen what Ross can do and can be- and he wasn't his best this year by a long shot. You're telling me that All-American Ross wouldn't patch up our bullpen? Please.

State82
05-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Before the meltdown in the 9th Ross looked like a completely different pitcher from what we've been seeing so far this year. Really sharp and more like the Ross Mitchell of old. As Schultzy said, he did get jobbed on a strike three call in the 9th and didn't recover from it. But, overall, much better outing from him. Much better.

Todd4State
05-02-2015, 11:29 PM
Smitty is right though. 1 relief pitcher in baseball isn't going to take you to a 2 seed from the worst team in the conference.

If this was pro baseball, y'all would have a point. But this is college- and you see guys like Ross, Girodo, Lindgren, Reed, etc. that can shut down teams for long stretches. You don't see that in MLB because they have to play every day just about and they would burn their bullpen ace out pretty quick. The college guys only pitch a couple of times a week- not to mention the fact that they aren't going up against pro hitters every day when they do pitch- so it's easier to get through the order for them.

Smitty
05-02-2015, 11:56 PM
You really have no idea how it works Todd. I mean **** if Lindgren could throw 27 innings a weekend last year we'd be a national seed. That's as insane as you saying one arm means ten losses become wins. No other action in the game, just counting on a perfect performance (going off today that means allowing 3 runs) EVERY TIME OUT.

Most knowledgeable baseball poster lololol

sandjunky
05-03-2015, 12:09 AM
Guys, he pitched well and State won because I took my 3 yr old to his first game today....

Todd4State
05-03-2015, 12:22 AM
You really have no idea how it works Todd. I mean **** if Lindgren could throw 27 innings a weekend last year we'd be a national seed. That's as insane as you saying one arm means ten losses become wins. No other action in the game, just counting on a perfect performance (going off today that means allowing 3 runs) EVERY TIME OUT.

Most knowledgeable baseball poster lololol

Still butthurt? Wow.

The three runs that were allowed today were unearned- thanks to your boy Heck. No mention of that?

I didn't say ANYTHING about a perfect performance anywhere- I'm just saying that if our pitching staff as a whole allow to allow four runs or less, we win more games. It's not asinine to ask a staff to do that at all. All Ross would have to do is get six-nine outs without giving up the lead- that shortens the game by a good bit. How is that asinine at all? That's pretty much the role of the bullpen- to hold the game where it is and not give up the lead. We haven't had that ALL year.

Basically what you are saying is that we should realistically expect our pitching staff to give up more than five runs every time out. Which means that you are saying that a staff ERA of over 5.00 is acceptable and should be expected.

But yet- please tell me I have no clue.** What's your hitting approach with two strikes again?**

Todd4State
05-03-2015, 12:24 AM
Guys, he pitched well and State won because I took my 3 yr old to his first game today....

Sadly, that makes more sense than what Smitty is arguing.

Seriously I bet y'all had a great time today and I'm glad it went well.

I'm also serious that that makes more sense than what Smitty is arguing too though.

shannondawg
05-03-2015, 07:57 AM
Why can't yall just be happy that the team showed some grit and won a game from the #1 team in the country?

sandjunky
05-03-2015, 08:17 AM
Seriously though.....my wife who is not into sports (I spent most of the game explaining, "what just happened" or "why'd they do that) made a pretty interesting comment....she leaned over to me and said "those LSU players are big and in shape and fast, why aren't our guys like that?" She wasn't too impressed with 17s mouth however for LSU as he represented "17" quite well

dawgoneyall
05-03-2015, 08:24 AM
You are simply wrong. Get over yourself.

sandjunky
05-03-2015, 08:38 AM
You are simply wrong. Get over yourself. who?

basedog
05-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Why can't yall just be happy that the team showed some grit and won a game from the #1 team in the country?

I agree, I'm not happy with what I have seen in this team, but they played with heart and guts yesterday.

The thing is some are defending about the what if's, maybe's, should have's, and could have's when in reality it is what it is. Losing is losing no matter what, so is winning.

Good thing Stans doesn't coach baseball huh?

dawgoneyall
05-03-2015, 09:40 AM
Not you

Percho
05-03-2015, 01:38 PM

maybe so, maybe not so. If he were pitching like he was in 2013 you would have to calculate in more games he might have pitched in.

Percho
05-03-2015, 01:42 PM
I agree, I'm not happy with what I have seen in this team, but they played with heart and guts yesterday.

The thing is some are defending about the what if's, maybe's, should have's, and could have's when in reality it is what it is. Losing is losing no matter what, so is winning.

Good thing Stans doesn't coach baseball huh?

Now that right there, well, "that's baseball."

mechdog
05-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Ross also got engaged last night. Guess he just needed a little pressure on him to get back to true form... Congrats Ross!

Todd4State
05-03-2015, 04:02 PM

I'm very happy that we won. Someone else isn't happy that we're not as bad as he hoped we were and decided to be a douchebag and hijack the thread by being a dumbass.

Smitty
05-03-2015, 04:06 PM
I'm very happy that we won. Someone else isn't happy that we're not as bad as he hoped we were and decided to be a douchebag and hijack the thread by being a dumbass.

Just calling out your absurdities. Everyone is obviously happy that we won

Todd4State
05-03-2015, 04:07 PM
Just calling out your absurdities. Everyone is obviously happy that we won

And failing.

Smitty
05-03-2015, 04:30 PM
And failing.

So, you are sticking by an outing giving up 3 runs in 4+ innings... that pitcher this year would take us from possibly missing Hoover to a 2 seed... OK.

Dont give me the BS about "earned runs" because that's a joke. One play doesn't change the fact that 3 runs crossed the plate. A single and walk after the fact is all on him.

Only in Toddland can one player improve us double digit wins.. It doesn't work like that, you're thinking is nonsensical. You are assuming Ross would have something like 60 IP and a 0.00 ERA.... it makes no logical sense your post and I called that out.

CottonDog
05-03-2015, 05:56 PM
So, you are sticking by an outing giving up 3 runs in 4+ innings... that pitcher this year would take us from possibly missing Hoover to a 2 seed... OK.

Dont give me the BS about "earned runs" because that's a joke. One play doesn't change the fact that 3 runs crossed the plate. A single and walk after the fact is all on him.

Only in Toddland can one player improve us double digit wins.. It doesn't work like that, you're thinking is nonsensical. You are assuming Ross would have something like 60 IP and a 0.00 ERA.... it makes no logical sense your post and I called that out.

If you dont think that if Ross pitched all year like he did his first 3 years (24-5 1.93 ERA, 10-3 1.86 ERA in SEC play, and held opposing batters to .217 average), we'd be in a regional, then you are crazy. We didnt have anything near like that in the bullpen. And he could pitch twice a weekend (Fri/Sun) if we absolutely needed him to. But none this really matters, because unfortunately he is 3-3 this year with a 4.86 ERA in 20 games. But, if you could bring that ERA to his career average of 1.93, we win quite a few more games.

Smitty
05-03-2015, 06:55 PM
If you dont think that if Ross pitched all year like he did his first 3 years (24-5 1.93 ERA, 10-3 1.86 ERA in SEC play, and held opposing batters to .217 average), we'd be in a regional, then you are crazy.

He said we'd be a 2 seed. Sorry but that's just incorrect.

CottonDog
05-03-2015, 06:59 PM
But you do concede that we'd be in a regional.

Smitty
05-03-2015, 07:03 PM
But you do concede that we'd be in a regional.

Possibly.

Todd4State
05-03-2015, 10:16 PM

5-6 more wins is double digits? Math fail. I have given you a very logical example from last year- and yet you come back with nothing other than saying "that's illogical".

Again- where are you getting this Ross would be perfect idea? I pretty much laid out what I expected-which is FAR less than perfection. And yet you keep coming back to that?

So, I assume that you are sticking by your stance that we shouldn't expect our team ERA to be lower than 5.00? Ok.

I'll give you all the "BS" you don't want- especially since it makes you look like even more of a moron.

Todd4State
05-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Possibly.

And the crawfishing begins.

Todd4State
05-03-2015, 10:17 PM
If you dont think that if Ross pitched all year like he did his first 3 years (24-5 1.93 ERA, 10-3 1.86 ERA in SEC play, and held opposing batters to .217 average), we'd be in a regional, then you are crazy. We didnt have anything near like that in the bullpen. And he could pitch twice a weekend (Fri/Sun) if we absolutely needed him to. But none this really matters, because unfortunately he is 3-3 this year with a 4.86 ERA in 20 games. But, if you could bring that ERA to his career average of 1.93, we win quite a few more games.

Nooo. That's illogical. Toddland.******

Smitty
05-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Nooo. That's illogical. Toddland.******

2 seed.... TWO SEED....

Todd4State
05-03-2015, 11:17 PM
2 seed.... TWO SEED....

How many regular season wins did our TWO SEED have last year dumbass? You STILL haven't defended anything.

24 wins currently- plus 5-6 wins CONSERVATIVELY = 29-30 WITH TWO WEEKNDS OF TEAMS AROUND THE .500 MARK LEFT. Yep- no way that we would match the 35 wins that our TWO SEED had last year with one better pitcher.

Stuff like this why you didn't win most knowledgeable baseball poster.

RocketCityDawg
05-04-2015, 09:47 AM

You gave yourself away here. So, if Heck fields that ball and gets the out there, how many runs score? To me, that would definitely change how the inning played out. Or am I crazy?

Another scenario: Bases loaded, 2 outs. If the batter strikes out, no runs score. If he hits a homer, 4 runs score. Seems to me, one play can change a lot.

Goat from MSU
05-04-2015, 01:36 PM
The season was doom when we lost to Ark. Pine Bluff, RPI went from 60 to 90 in nothing flat.We never recover .Beating Fla. once and LSU Thursday night might would have lower back to 60 range .Well.....
How many regular season wins did our TWO SEED have last year dumbass? You STILL haven't defended anything.

24 wins currently- plus 5-6 wins CONSERVATIVELY = 29-30 WITH TWO WEEKNDS OF TEAMS AROUND THE .500 MARK LEFT. Yep- no way that we would match the 35 wins that our TWO SEED had last year with one better pitcher.

Stuff like this why you didn't win most knowledgeable baseball poster.