PDA

View Full Version : Anybody think JR is getting stepped over?

blacklistedbully
05-02-2015, 02:42 PM
I know his 40 at the combine hurt him, but does anyone else think that maybe an RB or two already taken in the draft aren't as promising as J Rob?

ckDOG
05-02-2015, 02:45 PM
I know his 40 at the combine hurt him, but does anyone else think that maybe an RB or two already taken in the draft aren't as promising as J Rob?

RBs are a dime a dozen - esp if you don't have breakaway speed. Wish him well and think he's talented, but he's as good as the other guys left at this point. It's a crapshoot for the later round running backs.

aerodawg
05-02-2015, 02:52 PM
No. Thats why it didn't make much sense for him to come out this year. This year was stacked with elite running backs when running backs are like ckDOG said "a dime a dozen." He is looking at best case scenario of getting on a practice squad.

blacklistedbully
05-02-2015, 02:52 PM
RBs are a dime a dozen - esp if you don't have breakaway speed. Wish him well and think he's talented, but he's as good as the other guys left at this point. It's a crapshoot for the later round running backs.

I get that, but J Rob seems different to me. He is short, making him hard to find coming out of the backfield, yet is built like a tank, particularly down low, making him extremely hard to size up and tackle head-on. To me, that somewhat offsets the speed. You don't get extra points for getting yards a split second faster. The thought is you hit the hole better if you're quicker, and are harder to catch from behind, perhaps. I think his small size could negate some of the speed issue in this regard.

As a high-level rugby player, I always found it more difficult to tackle the little guys. So much harder to break down properly on a dude that is 5'9" than a guy who is 6'1 or so, especially if the short guy has tree-trunks for legs.

Coach34
05-02-2015, 03:04 PM
JRob hasnt been drafted yet because he is a lazy pass-blocker. Cant have that in the NFL as valuable as QB's are. His running ability is fine. Hell, pass-blocking is what kept Perkins ahead of him a good bit

Bothrops
05-02-2015, 03:08 PM
He's got the build to hold up in the NFL longer than most, but it's a speed issue.

I'm starting to think if he'd come back this year he would have made more of a name for himself. More starts, more yards, more td's, more recognition. I think a big senior year was in store for him. We'll see what happens.

Coach34
05-02-2015, 03:14 PM
It's not a speed issue- it's a blocking issue. He ran well at our Pro-Day on campus

mic
05-02-2015, 03:32 PM
Any player that's not a lineman or QB that gets drafted in the late rounds has to be able to play special teams... (See booby Dixon) ...
Not sure JRob can do that...

if Shump has 2 solid years Dont even have to be great he will get drafted... He can play special teams...

mic
05-02-2015, 03:35 PM
and as I send that JRob to colts.... Awesome for the kid....

HancockCountyDog
05-02-2015, 03:38 PM
and as I send that JRob to colts.... Awesome for the kid....

Talk about a perfect landing spot, he will have a good shot to make that team.

Bothrops
05-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Ok nevermind what I said about JRob coming back, this is surprisingly good.

Bothrops
05-02-2015, 03:43 PM
What number was he? I missed it watching our baseball shit show part lll.

HancockCountyDog
05-02-2015, 04:02 PM
He was never going to be more than a 6th round pick, so he clearly made the right call. Really happy for him, hope he is able to make the team or at least make the practice squad.

Coach34
05-02-2015, 04:05 PM
If he will bust his ass to work on pass-blocking, he will get carries. He can run the rock. He has to do the little stuff better to be a pro

HancockCountyDog
05-02-2015, 04:07 PM
If he will bust his ass to work on pass-blocking, he will get carries. He can run the rock. He has to do the little stuff better to be a pro

Totally agree - good thing for him is that he has really underrated hands. He is a threat out of the backfield.

blacklistedbully
05-02-2015, 04:31 PM
The Colts have had good success drafting an underrated Mississippi State RB before. ;)

BeardoMSU
05-02-2015, 04:57 PM
How has Cody Pruitt not been taken yet? Wasn't he a 2nd to 3rd rounder by most "analysts"?

shoeless joe
05-02-2015, 05:08 PM
The Colts have had good success drafting an underrated Mississippi State RB before. ;)

Don't dismiss that fact either. They prolly feel more confident about what they're getting because they've been down that road before.

mstatefan91
05-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Congrats JRob

msstate7
05-02-2015, 05:28 PM
How has Cody Pruitt not been taken yet? Wasn't he a 2nd to 3rd rounder by most "analysts"?

Actually surprised. I think Cody is a dang good player