PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Bourbon Edition - Battle of the Nines

SapperDawg
05-01-2015, 08:30 PM
This week we had an interesting tasting, three bourbons, each very close to the same age, similar mash bill, single barrel offerings, with two from the same distillery. They were:

Blanton's, Buffalo Trace:
Mash Bill: BT Mash bill #2 - 13-15% rye
Proof: 93
Price: $60
Elmer T. Lee, Buffalo Trace:
Mash Bill: BT Mash bill #2 - 13-15% rye
Proof: 90
Price: $35
Willett:
Mash Bill: 13% rye
Proof: 94
Price: $50

http://i375.photobucket.com/albums/oo192/scumglove/A701EFB3-33D7-40AA-A89D-DC84200E535F_zpsi16leqco.jpg (http://s375.photobucket.com/user/scumglove/media/A701EFB3-33D7-40AA-A89D-DC84200E535F_zpsi16leqco.jpg.html)

Each of these were sampled neat, out of a Glencairn glass. No water, ice or other additive was included. The order was Elmer, Blanton, Willett.

We found ETL to be harsh. Strong flavors, not much nose, and lots of bite. A real connoisseur would say "unrefined". To be a single barrel offering, I have had plenty better at this price point.

Blanton's, ETL's brother, was next. We found it to have a strong nose with defined butterscotch, and a similar flavor profile to the ETL but much smoother and more "refined".

Willett was the last taste, and as opposed to our previous sampling, we found it to be behind the Blanton's this time from a nose, taste and character standpoint.

Overall, we chose Blanton's, Willett and ETL in order of preference.

I have a theory as to why our selection between Blanton's and Willett changed, as we had this same issue with Eagle Rare about 18 months ago. When we sampled ER in a new bottle, none of us were impressed. About a month later, after it getting some air space in the bottle, we resampled and had a completely different - and better - opinion. The same thing happened here, I think. Our previous tasting of Blanton's was from a new bottle, where this one was about a month later, having letting it air out a bit.

My recommendation: no reason to ever by ETL. Willett is a solid drink when out and about, and you should order it at the bar/restaurant. Blanton's should be on your shelf- have a few drinks and let it sit for a while before coming back to it.