PDA

View Full Version : Baseball question

drunkernhelldawg
05-01-2015, 12:57 PM
I don't watch as much baseball as I used to, but I had come to the opinion that a sharp hit to left field will not score a runner from second. Many in the game thread last night felt that we were right to send the runner from second on such a hit (he was thrown out), I don't see how sending the runner can be defended as I don't think he had a chance to score. What am I missing?

Homedawg
05-01-2015, 01:05 PM
I don't watch as much baseball as I used to, but I had come to the opinion that a sharp hit to left field will not score a runner from second. Many in the game thread last night felt that we were right to send the runner from second on such a hit (he was thrown out), I don't see how sending the runner can be defended as I don't think he had a chance to score. What am I missing?

There were 2 outs, they have to field it clean, make a perfect throw, catch and tag to get the out. They did that. Congrats to them for making a play. better odds of them not making the throw and tag successfully than for us to get a hit. And look who was up next. Lots of factors but I would have sent him last night, today and every other day.

Maroonthirteen
05-01-2015, 01:08 PM
When he hit the ball, I thought that's way to hard of a hit to score the run. However I think you have to send the runner. There was 2 outs and we don't hit well. Also you never know. If that ball is a few more feet toward 1st, the runner gets in under the tag.

Good call by us. Better execution by LSU.

shoeless joe
05-01-2015, 03:40 PM
Gotta send him there. LSU did all the little things correctly to get the out.

I did think Robson should have had a better secondary but in all honesty I don't know if it would've made a difference.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2015, 03:45 PM
I think it has more to do with our chances of getting another hit and it was Robson running. Anyone else running might have gotten held up at 3rd. Looked like it was 1. too hard of a hit with the outfielder playing pretty shallow 2. Really good throw and tag. I don't mind that gamble especially with the way we have hit the ball.

drunkernhelldawg
05-01-2015, 03:49 PM
I see what y'all are saying, but I wouldn't expect the LSU left fielder to miss that throw. I've seen players at that level make that throw it seems more than nine of ten times. Especially as shallow as he was.

confucius say
05-01-2015, 04:25 PM
I see what y'all are saying, but I wouldn't expect the LSU left fielder to miss that throw. I've seen players at that level make that throw it seems more than nine of ten times. Especially as shallow as he was.

You and I went through this last night, so no need to rehash, but I will say this: context always matters. There are numerous situations where you don't send him there on that ball. But in a tie game, two outs, a bad hitter on deck, best runner, etc... you make Lsu make the perfect throw there. He doesn't make that throw 9 out of 10 times, prob more like 5 or 6 of ten, which leaves you with a lot better chance to score there than of a bad hitter on deck getting a hit. Two outs is the key.

Smitty
05-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Here's another baseball question..

When you have bases loaded and a walk wins the game do you approach it like it's a normal at bat with a 2-0 count?

msstate7
05-01-2015, 04:33 PM

When you have bases loaded and a walk wins the game do you approach it like it's a normal at bat with a 2-0 count?

Holland should've taken. If the pitcher throws a strike, he'll most likely throw the same pitch again 2-1.

msstate7
05-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Is there a blocking the plate call in college like mlb?

Really Clark?
05-01-2015, 05:43 PM

You swing. If everybody is going to pick it apart after the fact (when if he executes everybody would be praising Cohen for the great aggressive call) then you have to understand that you went from a 2-0 count to a 2-1 count. The pitch was a strike. You are not guarenteed to get as good of a pitch to hit the rest of the at bat and you just gave up .030 batting average points and .130 points from a possible walk (2-0 count you have .300 average to walk, 2-1 count .170). And he is not swinging on just any pitch or had better not be. If the pitch was a ball, nobody even knows he was swinging there. He hits nobody questions it. Those type of situations it is asinine to pick apart the call when if executed everybody is happy. Fitts deal is very different. And Holland hasn't even struck out in what 4 games. Get the ball in play don't wait for someone else to win the game. It's one of the things I agree with you on. Especially this team right now. Keep the aggression win, lose or draw right now.

msstate7
05-01-2015, 05:49 PM
You swing. If everybody is going to pick it apart after the fact (when if he executes everybody would be praising Cohen for the great aggressive call) then you have to understand that you went from a 2-0 count to a 2-1 count. The pitch was a strike. You are not guarenteed to get as good of a pitch to hit the rest of the at bat and you just gave up .030 batting average points and .130 points from a possible walk (2-0 count you have .300 average to walk, 2-1 count .170). And he is not swinging on just any pitch or had better not be. If the pitch was a ball, nobody even knows he was swinging there. He hits nobody questions it. Those type of situations it is asinine to pick apart the call when if executed everybody is happy. Fitts deal is very different. And Holland hasn't even struck out in what 4 games. Get the ball in play don't wait for someone else to win the game. It's one of the things I agree with you on. Especially this team right now. Keep the aggression win, lose or draw right now.

It's a 2-0 count. He doesn't have to swing just bc its a strike. On a 2-0 count, Vick hit a lazy opposite field flyball. If you are gonna give him a green light there, it needs to be understood to only swing if pitch is in area that you want and that you can drive

Really Clark?
05-01-2015, 06:06 PM
It's a 2-0 count. He doesn't have to swing just bc its a strike. On a 2-0 count, Vick hit a lazy opposite field flyball. If you are gonna give him a green light there, it needs to be understood to only swing if pitch is in area that you want and that you can drive

Thats right and why are we assuming he was swinging at just anything close? It was a good pitch to hit and as far as we know the green light was on a selective pitch. You just very seldom take on 2-0. It is such a premium hitters count. With that pitch count you only have one bad thing that can happen and multiple things that don't hurt you. The bad is you hit into an out. But you could have hit, missed the pitch and still batting, foul it off, or decide on your own to layoff. And this brings up another point. What if he was suppose to have taken that pitch? Or the signs got crossed (happens to players and coaches even in the big leagues). But going back to the debate you have a better batting average at 2-0 than you do at 2-1. There is no guarantee you see that pitch again the next pitch. Another circumstance I might see it but I'm not looking for a walk off win which is a lower percentage of winning the game vs a hit.

msstate7
05-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Thats right and why are we assuming he was swinging at just anything close? It was a good pitch to hit and as far as we know the green light was on a selective pitch. You just very seldom take on 2-0. It is such a premium hitters count. With that pitch count you only have one bad thing that can happen and multiple things that don't hurt you. The bad is you hit into an out. But you could have hit, missed the pitch and still batting, foul it off, or decide on your own to layoff. And this brings up another point. What if he was suppose to have taken that pitch? Or the signs got crossed (happens to players and coaches even in the big leagues). But going back to the debate you have a better batting average at 2-0 than you do at 2-1. There is no guarantee you see that pitch again the next pitch. Another circumstance I might see it but I'm not looking for a walk off win which is a lower percentage of winning the game vs a hit.

I don't think he should've been green lighted. Holland didn't have a good swing on that guy all night. There are hitters in our lineup that I would've green lighted, but not holland. Holland looked overmatched all night (3 previous at bats)