PDA

View Full Version : Can't believe I watched the whole draft......

coastratdog
05-01-2015, 08:06 AM
Waiting to see an MSU name called and it never came. I'm really disappointed for Preston and McKinney. Thought one would go in the first. Mel Kiper is a moron. Why does anyone think he knows shit about a player. I could have guessed just as good. Round 2 should be huge for these guys. Good luck guys.

BeardoMSU
05-01-2015, 08:21 AM
Waiting to see an MSU name called and it never came. I'm really disappointed for Preston and McKinney. Thought one would go in the first. Mel Kiper is a moron. Why does anyone think he knows shit about a player. I could have guessed just as good. Round 2 should be huge for these guys. Good luck guys.

Yeah, there is a lot of prestige in going in the first round, but 2 years ago Banks and Slay were both 2nd rounders and both are starting for their respective teams; I'd say there's more prestige in starting and being a big contributor.

Pinto
05-01-2015, 08:42 AM
I can't believe you did either 20 minutes of Berman and I'm done. Espn has successfully killed a good product once again. If the picks are in then announce them. Quit the analysis and pointless banter. Espn is not the show. The draft is the show so make it the focal point not a reason to have 5 jackasses blab on forever. /rant /threadhijack

Really Clark?
05-01-2015, 08:43 AM
Yeah, there is a lot of prestige in going in the first round, but 2 years ago Banks and Slay were both 2nd rounders and both are starting for their respective teams; I'd say there's more prestige in starting and being a big contributor.

Yep. Teams a lot of the time get first round guys that are high ceiling types but may not be starter ready but could be a pro bowler type. Your second and third guys are the high floor guys that can contribute earlier or a flawed elite player who dropped down. But you see a lot of good players taken in the 2nd and 3rd round. Teams look to them to fill a need and start.

BeardoMSU
05-01-2015, 08:47 AM
Yep. Teams a lot of the time get first round guys that are high ceiling types but may not be starter ready but could be a pro bowler type. Your second and third guys are the high floor guys that can contribute earlier or a flawed elite player who dropped down. But you see a lot of good players taken in the 2nd and 3rd round. Teams look to them to fill a need and start.

Absolutely.

Didn't Gabe start every game last year?

Coach34
05-01-2015, 08:56 AM
McKinney just isn't a 1st round football player- but he is a 1st round talent. Both will go in the 2nd and should be a great day for them

Nicky Santoro
05-01-2015, 09:43 AM
McKinney just isn't a 1st round football player- but he is a 1st round talent.

This doesn't make sense.

War Machine Dawg
05-01-2015, 09:52 AM
This doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense. There's a difference between being a football player and being a freakish athlete. Justin Cox is a perfect example. All the tools, but a shitty football player. If you can't figure that out, I can't help you.

Dawg61
05-01-2015, 12:01 PM
I can't believe you did either 20 minutes of Berman and I'm done. Espn has successfully killed a good product once again. If the picks are in then announce them. Quit the analysis and pointless banter. Espn is not the show. The draft is the show so make it the focal point not a reason to have 5 jackasses blab on forever. /rant /threadhijack

Couple of reasons why this year hasn't been as good as years before. 1. It's in Chicago. Everyone loves it in NYC. Leave it there. 2. Ray Lewis, Steve Young and Trent Dilfer need to be there. I know why Lewis wasn't but the banter between these three is good tv. 3. They got rid of the countdown clock. This needs to come back. 4. There wasn't any Jaws breakdown highlights. Need those back.

1st round was boring but I'm hoping today we see a more exciting 2-3 rounds.

Bama_Dawg
05-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Today really starts the draft for me. The first round guys are your immediate impact guys that either come in and shine or burn out very quickly. But they do get the big contracts (or as big as they can be now-a-days).

Now starts the real work, where teams really think about how a player fits them. Preston and B-Mac will be very solid professionals with a long career ahead of them (barring any injuries). Whatever team(s) get them will be gaining a stand-up guys that will work their butts off and produce on the field. Heck, over the weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kaleb Eulls name announced, maybe (big maybe) even J-Rob.

dawgs
05-01-2015, 01:39 PM

I mean, not saying he's not a moron, but I don't think missing on Preston going late in the 1st round is evidence of being a moron. The difference in going 27th and something like 37th early in the 2nd round is pretty negligible.

MetEdDawg
05-01-2015, 01:56 PM
I mean, not saying he's not a moron, but I don't think missing on Preston going late in the 1st round is evidence of being a moron. The difference in going 27th and something like 37th early in the 2nd round is pretty negligible.

I think one other thing is that Kiper took Shane Ray out of his last 1st round projections and he ended up being taken in the 1st round. So it's possible Preston would have been taken in the 1st round had he not gone.

There are so many factors that play into whether or not a borderline 1st/2nd guy goes in the first round that you can't get mad at the talking heads for missing it. Teams move back in the 1st round, teams take highest player on the board instead of reaching for a need position, and some teams just are much higher on some kids than others so a few guys seem like surprises in the 1st round when in fact another team graded him out as a 1st round talent.

Either way, Preston and B Mac will be solid 2nd round draft picks who I think both have high ceilings and a lot of room left to grow. They both should have long NFL careers barring injury and will be solid contributors.

smootness
05-01-2015, 02:55 PM
I never thought either McKinney or Smith would go 1st round. Neither one was projected by anyone to be in the 20s or higher, and hardly any had either in the 1st round.

If I had to guess, I think both will go in the 10-20 range in the 2nd round. I would like the Falcons to get Smith, though. We need a good all-around DE that will allow Beasley to focus solely on getting to the QB.

HereComesTheSpiral
05-01-2015, 03:30 PM
Absolutely.

Didn't Gabe start every game last year?

Yep, and he was called most pro ready when he was drafted. Seems like teams will take high risk/reward guys in the 1st over a what you see is what you get guy.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2015, 03:48 PM
I never thought either McKinney or Smith would go 1st round. Neither one was projected by anyone to be in the 20s or higher, and hardly any had either in the 1st round.

If I had to guess, I think both will go in the 10-20 range in the 2nd round. I would like the Falcons to get Smith, though. We need a good all-around DE that will allow Beasley to focus solely on getting to the QB.

Really want this to happen especially since I live in Atlanta now. The Falcons need a ton of Defensive help. Quinn seemed to get a lot of guys he liked in the offseason.

Bothrops
05-01-2015, 03:55 PM
McKinney is not a first round talent. But I would have taken Smith before that DT from Texas any day. If it comes down to a remaining few guys, we typically aren't going to a name called.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2015, 04:59 PM
It makes perfect sense. There's a difference between being a football player and being a freakish athlete. Justin Cox is a perfect example. All the tools, but a shitty football player. If you can't figure that out, I can't help you.

Dicenzo Miller is a perfect example of the opposite. Great football player but ran around a 4.8 or 4.9.

dawgs
05-01-2015, 05:17 PM
McKinney is not a first round talent. But I would have taken Smith before that DT from Texas any day. If it comes down to a remaining few guys, we typically aren't going to a name called.

A lot of people had the Texas DT rated as a mid-1st rounder. Also, wilfork is gone, so the pats need a space eater DT to plug the run. They filled a need and got value according to pretty much everyone's opinion.

OurState
05-01-2015, 05:29 PM

This is the NFL. It's about getting paid. Screw prestige. I want them to get big contracts.

dawgs
05-01-2015, 05:35 PM
This is the NFL. It's about getting paid. Screw prestige. I want them to get big contracts.

With the rookie caps, the rookie contract difference between late 1st and early 2nd isn't that much. It's really all about getting to your 2nd contract and playing well enough to get sizable guaranteed amount of money in that deal.