PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't we walk the bases full ?

cheewgumm
04-30-2015, 11:14 PM
That was a bad call.

Tbonewannabe
04-30-2015, 11:19 PM
Because it would make too much sense.

basedog
05-01-2015, 06:53 AM
I just lost any confidence in Cohen's ability to manage games now. I have been a Cohen fan and have defended him in the past, but watching year 7 under his leadership is such a bust with bad decisions time after time. That was hard to watch last night, I realize we don't have much of a bull pen but damn, Fitts was shot the inning before, and why did he pitch to a batter with first base open and one out?

LC Dawg
05-01-2015, 07:29 AM
Did anyone listen to the post game with Cohen? I was too pissed to listen last night but I was just curious if he commented on the decision to leave Fitts in.

sandwolf
05-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Did anyone listen to the post game with Cohen? I was too pissed to listen last night but I was just curious if he commented on the decision to leave Fitts in.

He said something along the lines of, "We felt like we had a good match-up there with a guy who Fitts had struck out his past two times at the plate."

tcdog70
05-01-2015, 08:18 AM
He said something along the lines of, "We felt like we had a good match-up there with a guy who Fitts had struck out his past two times at the plate."

My wife asked why we didn't load the bases. I told Her the exact thing JC said "Fitts had owned the Guy" he had him in the hole. he made a mistake and hung a curve. We had dodged bullet after bullet, it was going to get us in the end. Our problem was a pinch runner who trips rounding third and then doesn't get up and hustle back to third.Shit we should have left Wes in he would have stopped at third and then we win.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2015, 08:40 AM
My wife asked why we didn't load the bases. I told Her the exact thing JC said "Fitts had owned the Guy" he had him in the hole. he made a mistake and hung a curve. We had dodged bullet after bullet, it was going to get us in the end. Our problem was a pinch runner who trips rounding third and then doesn't get up and hustle back to third.Shit we should have left Wes in he would have stopped at third and then we win.

He didn't have him in the hole. Fitts had just thrown 2 pitches in the dirt in the other batters box. He threw 1 strike and the guy was probably taking the pitch. It was obvious he didn't have anything left. He threw around 90 pitches.

RocketCityDawg
05-01-2015, 09:00 AM
That was a bad call.

No way you walk the guy in that situation. Fitts is not a ground ball pitcher, and he throws a lot of balls. Now, he was definitely out of gas, but I don't have a problem with Cohen/Thompson trying to let the Senior gut it out.

Coach34
05-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Spruill not scoring cost us the game. Simply unbelieveable. He should have scored standing up

confucius say
05-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Spruill not scoring cost us the game. Simply unbelieveable. He should have scored standing up

This. End of story.

maroonmania
05-01-2015, 09:11 AM

Exactly, I don't know what you do when your team is so snakebit that a baserunner going home to score the winning run can't stay up on his feet to do so. Even besides that he can't even get back to third without getting thrown out and separates his shoulder. I mean even if he had remained at 3rd with one out he would have scored on the Rooker deep ground ball that Bregman kept from going into the outfield. Just seems bad teams can do what ever is necessary to screw things up for themselves. This season can't end fast enough as far as I'm concerned.

cheewgumm
05-01-2015, 09:33 AM
I thought Cohen was a play the percentages guy... Yet at that very important moment he chooses not to? % says load them up and try for the ground ball.

RocketCityDawg
05-01-2015, 09:33 AM

Yep. That was unbelievable. I loved the way we played last night, but that play will be hard to forget.

the59dawg
05-01-2015, 09:40 AM
I thought Cohen was a play the percentages guy... Yet at that very important moment he chooses not to? % says load them up and try for the ground ball.

Why would he stop Spruill? He was right on the heels of the guy in front of him. There is no way he shouldn't have scored. Heck the relay from the OF was even way up the line. Looked as if he stumbled over the 3rd bag and to make it worse hurt himself falling and couldn't get back up to go either way.

cheewgumm
05-01-2015, 09:43 AM
59dog

Sorry I should have been more clear. I'm saying we should have walked the guy who hit the double to knock on 2 at the
End.

RocketCityDawg
05-01-2015, 09:48 AM
59dog

Sorry I should have been more clear. I'm saying we should have walked the guy who hit the double to knock on 2 at the
End.

What would you be saying today if we would have walked him intentionally, then Fitts walks the next guy to give up the go ahead run that way?

LC Dawg
05-01-2015, 11:10 AM
What would you be saying today if we would have walked him intentionally, then Fitts walks the next guy to give up the go ahead run that way?

A good move to me would be to load them up and change pitchers but I think at that point there was only one pitcher available who Cohen had confidence in being able to throw strikes and it was Fitts.

RocketCityDawg
05-01-2015, 11:13 AM
A good move to me would be to load them up and change pitchers but I think at that point there was only one pitcher available who Cohen had confidence in being able to throw strikes and it was Fitts.

To me, that's the answer to the question right there. I'll add that I felt the same way.

cheewgumm
05-01-2015, 02:28 PM
Rocket... Sorry . The right baseball play is to walk him. It is.

tcdog70
05-01-2015, 02:30 PM
He didn't have him in the hole. Fitts had just thrown 2 pitches in the dirt in the other batters box. He threw 1 strike and the guy was probably taking the pitch. It was obvious he didn't have anything left. He threw around 90 pitches.

i believe the count was 2-2. and i think he threw 67 pitches--4 and 1/3 innings

drunkernhelldawg
05-01-2015, 02:45 PM
I don't watch as most as many, but it seemed last night that Cohen was moving too fast or too slow. Pinch running for Rae really wound up hurting our chances. That looked like a good move at the time, but not having Rae in extra innings was a killer. Also, no explanation for leaving Fitts in except trying to save something for today and tomorrow. Anyway, Fitts is a player and deserves mega-kudos for his performance last night, especially the way he got us out of trouble when he first came in.

Tbonewannabe
05-01-2015, 03:31 PM

His first 2 pitches were in the dirt. I could have swore they were talking about him being over 70 pitches going into the inning but it was also midnight so my brain might not have been working. I think it says more about the rest of our pitchers than anything about Fitts. Cohen just doesn't have confidence in most of the team. That is a big problem since he recruited all of these guys. Can't blame anything on Polk anymore.

sandwolf
05-01-2015, 04:55 PM

The count was 2-2, but he had thrown 86 pitches.