PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Shopping Fletcher?

Political Hack
04-30-2015, 06:34 AM
Rumors starting to swirl that the Eagles are shopping Fletcher prior to the draft.

msstate7
04-30-2015, 06:36 AM
He would pull a lot, but I wouldn't do it

Political Hack
04-30-2015, 06:41 AM
if Kelly thinks he can get his guy at QB out of it, I could see it. If MM falls to the Falcons spot, I'd look for a possible trade.

Falcons also looking to trade for a LB too though.

Rayburn8
04-30-2015, 07:22 AM
Hoping they trade him to my Titans. Him and two first founders. If the Titans pick anyone I will be sad. The only way I am happy is if we trade that pick.

Political Hack
04-30-2015, 07:27 AM
I just don't want him laying on top of Drew Brees twice a season.

msstate7
04-30-2015, 07:30 AM
Hoping they trade him to my Titans. Him and two first founders. If the Titans pick anyone I will be sad. The only way I am happy is if we trade that pick.

I'm sure you would love that trade. If the Eagles do that, they're idiots. Kelly would be coaching college again very soon after a trade like that

Rayburn8
04-30-2015, 07:42 AM
I would take Fletcher and a first and second. Hell I would probably take Fletcher and a first. Fill a need on defense and we can draft to fill another need. Then draft a QB(Dak) next year and be set.

thf24
04-30-2015, 07:51 AM
Then draft a QB(Dak) next year and be set.

You don't think Mett stands a chance of being the guy?

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
04-30-2015, 07:59 AM
I would be ecstatic if Fletcher came to the Titans, esp w/ 2 1st rounders. GM Ruston Webster is a bear w/ a penchant for bringing in ex-Rebs so IDK how much that clouds his judgment. Not that he makes good judgments otherwise.. I'm happy if we pick Mariota but the more trade rumors I hear the more obvious it is that we can get lots more value trading down as long as we stay in the top half of the 1st. If we don't get a QB we have to come away w/ 2 instant impact players or we flubbed IMO.

tireddawg
04-30-2015, 08:06 AM
Kelly feels like if he gets the right guys on O he can outscore most teams. They may give up 40, but he feels they'll score 50, I'm guessing.
As a Redskins fan I hope he does it
Mariota is good but not good enough to give up what they're saying the Eagles could possibly give up
But maybe that's the future of the NFL, 50-40 type games being the norm

SDDawg
04-30-2015, 08:08 AM
Not a Kelly fan so would like to see Fletcher elsewhere.

jumbo
04-30-2015, 08:56 AM
a trade with the eagles is my 2nd choice as a fellow Titans fan. my first choice is w/ Cleveland for 12, 19 a 3rd/4th and next years 1st.

HancockCountyDog
04-30-2015, 09:26 AM
Wow, that would be so ****ing stupid. Fletcher was one of the most disruptive DL in the NFL last year.

MetEdDawg
04-30-2015, 09:40 AM
If Kelly thinks Mariota is his guy he's going to have to come up with a big piece plus his 1st round draft pick. It's very possible that Fletcher would be one of the pieces that the Titans would require to make it happen.

The Titans need a lot so I could see Fletcher plus the Eagles 1st round pick being the price for them to move up to #2.

HancockCountyDog
04-30-2015, 09:56 AM
If you are Saints and they offer Fletcher for Number 31 - how quickly do you say yes? Id probably do it for number 13 if the Eagles sent back a 3rd and a 5th.

jumbo
04-30-2015, 10:02 AM
If Kelly thinks Mariota is his guy he's going to have to come up with a big piece plus his 1st round draft pick. It's very possible that Fletcher would be one of the pieces that the Titans would require to make it happen.

The Titans need a lot so I could see Fletcher plus the Eagles 1st round pick being the price for them to move up to #2.

It would take more than Fletch and #20.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-30-2015, 10:26 AM
The package that is being talked about now is 2 1st this year (Bradford to CLE gets them an extra 1), a 2nd next year, Fletcher Cox, Michael Kendricks, & Vinny Curry.

Dawg496
04-30-2015, 10:39 AM
The package that is being talked about now is 2 1st this year (Bradford to CLE gets them an extra 1), a 2nd next year, Fletcher Cox, Michael Kendricks, & Vinny Curry.

That seems to me like a ridiculous proposal on their part. Mariota seems to me to have bust written all over him but I am not an NFL scout.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-30-2015, 10:46 AM
That seems to me like a ridiculous proposal on their part. Mariota seems to me to have bust written all over him but I am not an NFL scout.

It's not really any bigger than some other trades up that high. The Redskins traded 3 1st & a 2nd to move up for RG3. Let's not forget the Saints traded away all their picks in 99 plus a 1st & 3rd in 2000 to get Ricky Williams. Only giving up 1st rd picks this year actually isn't a bad deal.

HancockCountyDog
04-30-2015, 10:51 AM
It's not really any bigger than some other trades up that high. The Redskins traded 3 1st & a 2nd to move up for RG3. Let's not forget the Saints traded away all their picks in 99 plus a 1st & 3rd in 2000 to get Ricky Williams. Only giving up 1st rd picks this year actually isn't a bad deal.

With the new cap rules on salaries of draft picks, first rounders are even more valuable than in the past so I guess it makes sense. If you get five years of really good QB play on a rookie deal, even for the 2nd pick - then you are doing well.

Turning Bradford into a first round pick seems laughable to me, but who the hell knows - teams are stupid.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-30-2015, 11:01 AM
Come on down to Houston Mr Cox.

MetEdDawg
04-30-2015, 11:43 AM
It would take more than Fletch and #20.

Oh no doubt. But I do think Fletcher would be the type of piece they want plus their 1st round this year and most likely more picks this year or a high pick next year. But Fletcher is a former 1st round draft pick and was by most everyone the biggest snub for the Pro Bowl this year. So he's a Pro Bowl caliber player and would be worth quite a bit in terms of a return for a 2nd overall pick.

smootness
04-30-2015, 12:15 PM
If the Browns even entertained giving up a 1st for Bradford, they're insane.

But the Eagles giving up Cox in a deal to get Mariota doesn't necessarily signal that they don't care about defense. It just means they'll do whatever it takes to get their QB because once you have your QB, you have a decade plus to build the rest of your team.

Personally I think that's stupid, but if Mariota in that system ends up being elite, then there literally is no price too high.

Johnson85
04-30-2015, 01:12 PM

I don't know that Mariota has bust written on him, but he definitely looks like a QB that is going to go way too high just because there aren't a lot of obviously good QB prospects in his draft class. Kelly is somebody that could maximize his talents, but it seems like most years there will be a QB like Mariota that is available through the entire first round. I don't see why he'd be in a hurry to overpay for a QB this year.

Really Clark?
04-30-2015, 01:29 PM
See, while Mariota may end up not being worth that high of a pick, Winston has the biggest bust factor of the two. IMO. And it's not about talent but could we not see him completely out of the league in 2-3 years because of character issues? So why take him even higher? Personally I don't think I would draft a QB in the Top 10. Or even first round unless I feel really good about a guy falling down to the lower part of the first round like Rodgers. Way too many of them never pan out.

dawgs
04-30-2015, 01:30 PM
If the Browns even entertained giving up a 1st for Bradford, they're insane.

But the Eagles giving up Cox in a deal to get Mariota doesn't necessarily signal that they don't care about defense. It just means they'll do whatever it takes to get their QB because once you have your QB, you have a decade plus to build the rest of your team.

Personally I think that's stupid, but if Mariota in that system ends up being elite, then there literally is no price too high.

Pretty much this. If you don't have a top 10ish QB in the NFL these days, you have to be elite or near elite everywhere else to win the super bowl. If you have an elite (top 3-5) guy, you can be below avg at a lot of spots and still stand a chance. If the Eagles trade for Mariota and he maximizes his talent with chip, then the Eagles have plenty of time to build the rest of the team.

All you have to do is look at the colts who were a lot worse than the Eagles pre-luck, and they are a perennial playoff team immediately with luck and still building.

Mariota might bust, but if you believe in the guy, having a franchise QB is invaluable.

Really Clark?
04-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Pretty much this. If you don't have a top 10ish QB in the NFL these days, you have to be elite or near elite everywhere else to win the super bowl. If you have an elite (top 3-5) guy, you can be below avg at a lot of spots and still stand a chance. If the Eagles trade for Mariota and he maximizes his talent with chip, then the Eagles have plenty of time to build the rest of the team.

All you have to do is look at the colts who were a lot worse than the Eagles pre-luck, and they are a perennial playoff team immediately with luck and still building.

Mariota might bust, but if you believe in the guy, having a franchise QB is invaluable.

I agree with you about what having an elite QB means to a team, but you would be better off waiting and finding the guy later in the draft. Even if it takes me 3 drafts of picking a 2,3, or 4th round QB every year. There are just so few elite QB's who are actually drafted in the elite position. Top 10.

smootness
04-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Personally I don't think I would draft a QB in the Top 10. Or even first round unless I feel really good about a guy falling down to the lower part of the first round like Rodgers. Way too many of them never pan out.

Good luck with that.

MetEdDawg
04-30-2015, 01:56 PM
I think they should wait until next year to get their QB. There are going to be a couple, including Dak, that would be perfect in that style offense and will be available 1st or 2nd round in 2016.

CBS sports has Dak as the 2nd best QB in next year's draft and since 2001 there has only been one year where at least 3 QBs didn't go in the 1st 2 rounds and that was in 2013 where 2 went.

Dak and Treyvon Boykin both have really promising NFL potential in the correct offense in my opinion and that could be with the Eagles. With 2 solid QB options in next year's draft that will most likely not cost nearly as much to go get as Mariota, I think I would wait until next year to get my early round QB and shore up my defense and OL so that a 1st year QB in that system could potentially step right in and have a good enough team around them to go far in the playoffs in their 1st year.

Johnson85
04-30-2015, 02:18 PM
Personally I don't think I would draft a QB in the Top 10. Or even first round unless I feel really good about a guy falling down to the lower part of the first round like Rodgers. Way too many of them never pan out.

You have to be willing to draft a QB with a high draft pick, but you can't fall into the trap of thinking every class has a QB worthy of a 1st round pick. I think this is one of those years where there's not a QB worthy of a 1st round pick (or at least not one you can project to be; some QB will end up being worthy of one with the benefit of hindsight).

But QBs' mean so much to the team, you have to take a shot when you truly do have an elite looking talent available, even if you're odds are basically 50/50 on whether they will pan out (and this is assuming you avoid picking a QB just because you can get one of the two best qb's in the draft).

Really Clark?
04-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Good luck with that.

Well outside of Luck who is a franchise QB drafted in the elite positions in the last decade? You are assuming that a Luck type is ready to be an elite QB every year. Just not true. The last decade you have had maybe 4 above avg to really good QB drafted in the Top 10. Stafford, Bradford, Ryan and Luck. That's the best that I can think of. That's 4 out 15 total QB's taken in the Top 10 for the last decade. And some of those years the class was so bad there was not one draft inside the Top 10. If I wait outside the top 10 I'm getting Rodgers, Flacco, Campbell, Cutler. Little above avg to really good. That's 4 guys out of the 12 drafted in slots 11-32 of the 1st round for the last decade. So yeah I have better luck waiting. I did not say if I am sitting with a Luck being available I wait but I will not wait around hoping to suck so bad to be in position to take him 1st overall.

dawgs
04-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Well outside of Luck who is a franchise QB drafted in the elite positions in the last decade? You are assuming that a Luck type is ready to be an elite QB every year. Just not true. The last decade you have had maybe 4 above avg to really good QB drafted in the Top 10. Stafford, Bradford, Ryan and Luck. That's the best that I can think of. That's 4 out 15 total QB's taken in the Top 10 for the last decade. And some of those years the class was so bad there was not one draft inside the Top 10. If I wait outside the top 10 I'm getting Rodgers, Flacco, Campbell, Cutler. Little above avg to really good. That's 4 guys out of the 12 drafted in slots 11-32 of the 1st round for the last decade. So yeah I have better luck waiting. I did not say if I am sitting with a Luck being available I wait but I will not wait around hoping to suck so bad to be in position to take him 1st overall.

Yeah but you don't know if a Rodgers like fall is gonna happen. You also may look at Winston and Mariota and think they are clearly better than the other QB options, so therefore waiting until the middle or end of the 1st round might result in you drafting a QB you feel significantly worse about drafting.

Ultimately if the teams are sold on a guy, go get him. If you think he's unlikely to fall to you and you have him rated significantly better than the rest of the QBs, then figure out if he's good enough to trade up for.

It's a lot easier to say you'll wait for a guy and point to all the guys drafted in the middle to late 1st round that have panned out than it is to actually is to practice. Especially with the rookie contract salary caps, there's a lot less risk in drafting a QB high, because they no longer come with a $100M price tag, so teams are far more willing to gamble on guys that might be a franchise QB.

Plus Campbell has never been more than mediocre and you can argue cutler too. At least largely.

Really Clark?
04-30-2015, 02:59 PM
You have to be willing to draft a QB with a high draft pick, but you can't fall into the trap of thinking every class has a QB worthy of a 1st round pick. I think this is one of those years where there's not a QB worthy of a 1st round pick (or at least not one you can project to be; some QB will end up being worthy of one with the benefit of hindsight).

But QBs' mean so much to the team, you have to take a shot when you truly do have an elite looking talent available, even if you're odds are basically 50/50 on whether they will pan out (and this is assuming you avoid picking a QB just because you can get one of the two best qb's in the draft).

I understand what you are saying and I agree about finding an elite QB, but I would trade down in a heart beat nearly every year instead of taking a guy in the Top 10. I'm better off filling two positions of need and finding a franchise QB later in the first round. I also follow the thought that a lot of GM's have about drafting QB's that come out early also. I want a SR who has started at least 2 years if I can get it.

Really Clark?
04-30-2015, 03:18 PM
Yeah but you don't know if a Rodgers like fall is gonna happen. You also may look at Winston and Mariota and think they are clearly better than the other QB options, so therefore waiting until the middle or end of the 1st round might result in you drafting a QB you feel significantly worse about drafting.

Ultimately if the teams are sold on a guy, go get him. If you think he's unlikely to fall to you and you have him rated significantly better than the rest of the QBs, then figure out if he's good enough to trade up for.

It's a lot easier to say you'll wait for a guy and point to all the guys drafted in the middle to late 1st round that have panned out than it is to actually is to practice. Especially with the rookie contract salary caps, there's a lot less risk in drafting a QB high, because they no longer come with a $100M price tag, so teams are far more willing to gamble on guys that might be a franchise QB.

Plus Campbell has never been more than mediocre and you can argue cutler too. At least largely.

True. I don't know that a Rodgers will fall outside of the Top 10. It might be a Flacco, Roethlisberger, Culpepper, Campbell, Cutler, type as well. But by percentage I have a better percentage taking a guy outside of the Top 10. I think a lot of it is teams just reach to far up the board to find an elite guy that they are "sold" has the tools to be a franchise guy when if it was any other position they wouldn't reach nearly as far to take a guy. I know many have alluded to you can't be afraid to draft a QB that high. It's opposite in my opinion. You can't be afraid to take the best available and most value at the QB position. No matter what the fans and pundits think. Find the guy that fits your team the best. If it's the best player in the draft, then fine, get him. But more times than not a better player is available.

ETA. I know Campbell and Cutler are a stretch. I said little above to really good. But of the 4 Top 10 drafted guys they are not much better. Bradford and Stafford are the same level as Cutler. Heck Campbell is a career top 50 QB rating guy in line with the rest of these guys.

Bama_Dawg
04-30-2015, 03:28 PM
If you are Saints and they offer Fletcher for Number 31 - how quickly do you say yes? Id probably do it for number 13 if the Eagles sent back a 3rd and a 5th.

THIS...all day long. Saints need the DL help...someone that's not a "project" or trouble maker.

smootness
04-30-2015, 03:38 PM
The fact that you're having to use Daunte Culpepper, Jason Campbell, and Jay Cutler should tell you how smart it is to wait.

Your odds are not better of finding your guy outside of the top 10. There may be an even number of top 10 QBs who were taken outside the top 10 than inside, but there are also far more QBs taken in general outside the top 10.

Sure, plenty of QBs bust. Peyton Manning went 1, Leaf went 2. Luck went 1, Griffin went 2. You could say, 'Tom Brady went in the 6th round, so you can find QBs that late. I'll just wait to get my franchise QB.' But the only problem is that the other guys taken in that draft were Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger, Spergon Wynn, Todd Husak, JaJuan Seider, Tim Rattay, Jarious Jackson, and Joe Hamilton.

Your chances of hitting on a top 10 QB who eventually becomes an elite guy are much higher than your odds if you wait. Considering how important it is to have an elite QB in the NFL, I would rather trade up every year and take a QB until I finally hit than just waiting and taking a guy here and there.

Of the top 11 QBs in QBR last year, 5 were taken in the top 4. Of the top 16, 8 were taken in the top 8. And Flacco and Roethlisberger were taken just outside the top 10.

So again, good luck with that.

Really Clark?
04-30-2015, 04:11 PM
The fact that you're having to use Daunte Culpepper, Jason Campbell, and Jay Cutler should tell you how smart it is to wait.

Your odds are not better of finding your guy outside of the top 10. There may be an even number of top 10 QBs who were taken outside the top 10 than inside, but there are also far more QBs taken in general outside the top 10.

Sure, plenty of QBs bust. Peyton Manning went 1, Leaf went 2. Luck went 1, Griffin went 2. You could say, 'Tom Brady went in the 6th round, so you can find QBs that late. I'll just wait to get my franchise QB.' But the only problem is that the other guys taken in that draft were Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger, Spergon Wynn, Todd Husak, JaJuan Seider, Tim Rattay, Jarious Jackson, and Joe Hamilton.

Your chances of hitting on a top 10 QB who eventually becomes an elite guy are much higher than your odds if you wait. Considering how important it is to have an elite QB in the NFL, I would rather trade up every year and take a QB until I finally hit than just waiting and taking a guy here and there.

Of the top 11 QBs in QBR last year, 5 were taken in the top 4. Of the top 16, 8 were taken in the top 8. And Flacco and Roethlisberger were taken just outside the top 10.

So again, good luck with that.

Flacco was taken 18 not right outside of the top 10. Bradford and Stafford are in the same class as Culter and Campbell. And people forget how good Culpepper was before he was injured. 3 pro bowls in his first 6 years. Passing leader in 2004 the year before the injury. Still is in the Top 15 of all time QBR. Better than Stafford, Bradford and Ryan.

I tell you what you trade up every year to get a top 10 QB and I will trade down. In 2-3 years I'm still a GM and the team that just fired you won't have to trade up now because they are already there. The main reason is unless the team with #1 overall absolutely do not need a QB, you are not getting Luck if you have to trade to get there. Now tell me who you are going to pick. And whoever it is, over the last 5 years even, I can match or do better later and I have more picks to solidify my team. Everybody looks at Luck and the Colts. That team was one year removed from the playoffs and 2 years from the super bowl when they tanked for one season. Luck is great but there were already a lot of pieces there.

ETA. Why did you just do Top 11 QBR? That's odd numer. Is it because it looks better than 4 of the Top 10. Or what about the Top 20. How many of those guys is it? 6-7. And you are using draft classes back 15 or so years. How many top drafted QB have there been in total during that time? Again I didn't say there are not elite QB's in the top I'm saying if you don't reach and be patient, every 3-5 years you have an elite guy elsewhere in the draft. A good starting QB can be found every 1-2 years. Sometime more than one and you do not have to reach for a guy.

smootness
04-30-2015, 04:22 PM
The NFL is about the QB. Get your QB, and you're set. So yes, I would completely design my strategy around finding my QB until I found him.

I'll be the Browns until I'm suddenly the Packers or Colts; you'll perpetually be the Bills.

Tbonewannabe
04-30-2015, 04:27 PM
See, while Mariota may end up not being worth that high of a pick, Winston has the biggest bust factor of the two. IMO. And it's not about talent but could we not see him completely out of the league in 2-3 years because of character issues? So why take him even higher? Personally I don't think I would draft a QB in the Top 10. Or even first round unless I feel really good about a guy falling down to the lower part of the first round like Rodgers. Way too many of them never pan out.

I think Winston has all of the traits that JFF, Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, and all the other primadonna QBs have. I think the minute he gets money in his pocket the NFL team will shit their pants because he will be doing some crazy shit.

smootness
04-30-2015, 04:28 PM
It's not Winston's character or attitude that would concern me. It's his lack of mobility. People think he's a pretty athletic guy, but he is extremely slow-footed in the pocket. He also doesn't have a quick release and makes very questionable throws.

Really Clark?
04-30-2015, 04:59 PM
The NFL is about the QB. Get your QB, and you're set. So yes, I would completely design my strategy around finding my QB until I found him.

I'll be the Browns until I'm suddenly the Packers or Colts; you'll perpetually be the Bills.

Bull. You will be the Browns until your fired after 3 years. And why are you under the assumption I'm not winning games. I don't even have to draft a QB. This it's a Top 10 pick or nothing is foolish. I have the whole rest of the draft, free agency, and trades for a veteran QB available. That's foolish thinking. How many playoff teams didn't have a top 10 draft pick as a QB or traded or signed their guy?

If I have the first overall pick and Luck or Payton is sitting there and I can upgrade my QB, absolutely I take them. But I am not stupid enough not to listen to offers. But outside of those two guys over the last 15 years who else warrants a top 4 pick. I will tell you, right or wrong I don't take Eli in the Top 5. I liked Rivers better then and I think it has been the supporting cast that has helped Eli. I don't consider him elite. I liked Palmer, Ryan and Stafford for Top 10 guys. I missed on Bradford. Injuries have not helped. It's a crap shoot. I actually thought Flacco was taken too high. But that's worked for them. Young, Newton guys who come out early really have issues, making them much more likely to bust. No way I take a JR in the Top 10.

dawgs
04-30-2015, 06:12 PM
It's not Winston's character or attitude that would concern me. It's his lack of mobility. People think he's a pretty athletic guy, but he is extremely slow-footed in the pocket. He also doesn't have a quick release and makes very questionable throws.

His combine numbers are embarrassingly bad.

But I also think he has a lot of Ryan leaf, Jamarcus Russell, JFF in him. He also showed up for the combine and pro day looking like he spent the previous 2 months eating pizza and playing video games all day instead of working out.

Mariota may be a bust, but he'll work his ass off to be the best he can be. He might not ever get it, but he's gonna try his damnedest to get it. Winston may never care enough to try to get it.

Dawgcentral
04-30-2015, 06:38 PM
No way I place my job and my future in the hands of Winston.

Is there anyone placing odds on how long it takes for him to pull another major blunder?

Anyone here ever have an employee that seemed to be on a direct path for you losing your liability coverage?