PDA

View Full Version : Baseball recruiting analysis (long):

Tripp McNeely
04-29-2015, 04:06 PM
Did some research today on Cohen's recruiting (if nothing more to make me feel better), and I've come to a couple of conclusions:

1. Talent (not experience so-much...but talent) will increase exponentially over the next couple of years.
2. Cohen's gotta stop recruiting jucos as fillers. Only recruit jucos if they are: A. Corey Dickerson or; B. Specialty relievers
3. If you need roster fillers, you gotta do it with hs players, and simply let them develop
4. We NEED to retain MOST of the 2015 class!!
5. Our upperclassmen...just really aren?t that good!
6. "Good attrition" HAS to happen

I broke each class down by whether they had any other major SEC or "Major-BCS-type" (schools like Indiana, UCONN, etc. do not count) offers (or "SEC-Plus" offers going forward) besides MSU. I'm having to guess on a lot of these, because of the lack of good info on baseball recruiting. So, "those in the know", correct me if I?m wrong

2010 class (what's left) - "SEC-Plus" offers - Zero - Rea had SEC football offers, but no solid baseball offers

2011 class (what's left) - "SEC-Plus" offers - 1 or 33% of the class that's left. I think Preston Brown did, but pretty sure Fitts and Britton didn't.

2012 class (what's left) - "SEC-Plus" offers - 0. I know that Robson was a Team Canada guy and drafted...so I may be wrong on him, but if memory serves, neither he, Cody Brown or Gentry had any "SEC-Plus" offers

2013 class (what's left) - "SEC-Plus" offers - (now it starts to get interesting) 7 (Collins, Hump, Swinarski, Sexton, Houston, Hudson and Tatum), or approximately 50% of the class. I don?t think Walker, Rooker, Heck, Vick, Billingsley, Mintz or Laster did.

2014 class - "SEC-Plus" offers - 6 (Gordon, Gridley, Holland, McCord, Dominguez, and Brown), or about 43% of the class. I don't believe that Lovelady, Spruill, Reynolds, Smith, Barlow, Elliott, Mahoney or Waddell had any "SEC-Plus" offers

2015 class - "SEC-Plus" offers - Here's where it gets fun - 13 (Marrero, Stovall, Alexander, Riley, Pickett, Mangum, Fenter, Ford, Cyr, Padgett, Breaux, Barlow and Small) or about 65% of the class. I don't believe that Lowe, Zinn, Blaylock, James, Hughes, Rigby or Pilkington had any "SEC-Plus" offers

So, theoretically, we could have 23-24 (if not more) players on next year's roster that could've played at 90% of the schools in the country.

Todd4State
04-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Good analysis.

Rea had an offer from USM.

Preston Brown didn't have any offers and walked on. Fitts had an offer from Alabama and Auburn. Britton had an offer from Auburn.

We kind of found Robson through some of Cohen's connections. Cody Brown and Myles Gentry were both walk-ons. Gentry had interest from Ole Miss and Tulane though and he had committed to or at least had an offer to Jones JC. He probably could have had a scholarship from us but he waited too long to commit.

Rooker had an offer from Ole Miss. Billingsley had interest from Ole Miss, can't remember if he had an offer- wasn't going anywhere other than MSU regardless.

I don't think Dominguez had another SEC offer, but I might be mistaken. Smith had an offer from Vanderbilt. Mahoney had an offer from LSU that was pulled because he had Tommy John.

I'm pretty sure that Ole Miss would have offered Blaylock, Hughes, and James had they not committed to us early. Pilkington had an offer from USM.

Tripp McNeely
04-29-2015, 04:37 PM
Good analysis.

Rea had an offer from USM.

Preston Brown didn't have any offers and walked on. Fitts had an offer from Alabama and Auburn. Britton had an offer from Auburn.

We kind of found Robson through some of Cohen's connections. Cody Brown and Myles Gentry were both walk-ons. Gentry had interest from Ole Miss and Tulane though and he had committed to or at least had an offer to Jones JC. He probably could have had a scholarship from us but he waited too long to commit.

Rooker had an offer from Ole Miss. Billingsley had interest from Ole Miss, can't remember if he had an offer- wasn't going anywhere other than MSU regardless.

I don't think Dominguez had another SEC offer, but I might be mistaken. Smith had an offer from Vanderbilt. Mahoney had an offer from LSU that was pulled because he had Tommy John.

I'm pretty sure that Ole Miss would have offered Blaylock, Hughes, and James had they not committed to us early. Pilkington had an offer from USM.

So, that would put the numbers at:

2013 - 8 or 57% of the class
2014 - 7 or 50% of the class
2015 - 16 or 80% of the class.

So, I was too conservative with my guesses? Proves my point #1 even more.

msstate7
04-29-2015, 05:11 PM
Didn't smith have a vandy offer?

Todd4State
04-29-2015, 05:11 PM
I thought you did a pretty darn good job. But your overall points are correct even if they were conservative or not.

Todd4State
04-29-2015, 05:12 PM
Didn't smith have a vandy offer?

Yes. I mentioned that.

Todd4State
04-29-2015, 05:14 PM
And Gene fluffs things up a little bit. He'll say that a guy has interest from Florida State or whoever. But that doesn't mean that they would get an offer. They may be interested in a player that we offer as a walk-on, or they maybe talk to a player and decide on another player. And it may mean that they were genuinely going to offer.

msstate7
04-29-2015, 05:25 PM
Yes. I mentioned that.

Sorry I read original post and posted before reading responses.