PDA

View Full Version : Cohen and the new baseball

state66
04-29-2015, 09:57 AM
I get the feeling that the reason we suck so bad this year is because Cohen was blindsided by the new baseball change. While I think that is still unacceptable and he should of prepared better and recruited to be ready for the effects of the new baseball but he only had one season to prepare. If anyone knows anything about baseball recruiting they know that you lock these kids down way earlier than any other sport. There really isn't a market in baseball recruiting to go out and grab power hitters at the last minute. Cohen basically had to rely on his current recruiting class which looks to be geared around small ball and the old baseball. He also recruited these JUCO pitchers based off the old baseball. I honestly think this year is a wash and a rough as hell transition year. We have some great hitters coming in and some great pitchers coming in that should sure up the bullpen. People calling for Cohens head due to him getting blindsided by the new baseball I think are out of context. While its his fault we are in this situation I think our upcoming recruiting classes are good enough to get us back.

Anybody else think the new baseball screwed our current team beyond recognition and we should be able to bounce back to the regional hosting Mississippi State next year?

maroonmania
04-29-2015, 10:15 AM
You wouldn't think just a slight lowering of the seam on the baseball would destroy a team but who knows. Somehow I think our problems go a little deeper than just that. For example, it is realistic to believe that slightly lowering the seams changed Ross Mitchell from an All-SEC (bordering on All-American) type college pitcher to a guy that now doesn't even look like he belongs in the SEC?

Ralph
04-29-2015, 10:27 AM
You wouldn't think just a slight lowering of the seam on the baseball would destroy a team but who knows. Somehow I think our problems go a little deeper than just that. For example, it is realistic to believe that slightly lowering the seams changed Ross Mitchell from an All-SEC (bordering on All-American) type college pitcher to a guy that now doesn't even look like he belongs in the SEC?

Imo, yes, although I am as surprised as anyone of how much Ross fell off. Im a former pitcher and I can tell you without question the height of the seams effect movement substantially.

For example, I liked low seam balls for running two seam fastballs in on RH hitters, but I preferred high seams when throwing a knuckle curve and most breaking balls. Obviously you don't have your choice during a game though. I was more of a high velocity pitcher than Ross, so I can easily see why the lower seams do not work well with Ross's slow arm speed. Need more spin to work it effectively.

missouridawg
04-29-2015, 10:38 AM
I get the feeling that the reason we suck so bad this year is because Cohen was blindsided by the new baseball change. While I think that is still unacceptable and he should of prepared better and recruited to be ready for the effects of the new baseball but he only had one season to prepare. If anyone knows anything about baseball recruiting they know that you lock these kids down way earlier than any other sport. There really isn't a market in baseball recruiting to go out and grab power hitters at the last minute. Cohen basically had to rely on his current recruiting class which looks to be geared around small ball and the old baseball. He also recruited these JUCO pitchers based off the old baseball. I honestly think this year is a wash and a rough as hell transition year. We have some great hitters coming in and some great pitchers coming in that should sure up the bullpen. People calling for Cohens head due to him getting blindsided by the new baseball I think are out of context. While its his fault we are in this situation I think our upcoming recruiting classes are good enough to get us back.

Anybody else think the new baseball screwed our current team beyond recognition and we should be able to bounce back to the regional hosting Mississippi State next year?

Cohen wasn't blindsided by it. He started recruiting for it immediately (Rooker, Swinarski, etc... as well as more power arms instead of junk throwers). In fact, he argued adamantly about delaying the introduction of the new ball just for this. I think he wanted a 3 or 4 year notice before the ball was introduced.