PDA

View Full Version : My Governor's Cup thoughts

Todd4State
04-28-2015, 11:37 PM
If you think going to that game was bad- try taking off work and driving from New Orleans to watch it. The good news is I get to go back to New Orleans for some cheap tacos and Beer and Tacos.

Anyway, where to start?

Everyone likes offense so I'll start there. The issue as I see it isn't "hitting mechanics"- it's more approach. And to be more specific it's approach with RISP- so really it's a situational hitting issue which isn't surprising when you think about it if you look at our stats. Our team OBP is good and we walk more than we strike out- and we actually hit decently- I'm not going to say good but we're not the worst in the SEC. Anyway, here is an example of what I am talking about. We had runners in scoring position down 2-0 and two of our better hitters at the plate. We had some good at bats and took the ball to the opposite field and had some things going. When you have runners in scoring position MOST of the time a pitcher is going to want to throw strikes. (Not that there is a lot of times where a pitcher doesn't want to throw strikes, but stay with me here) MOST college pitchers can't throw their breaking ball over consistently for strikes plus a lot of times when they get into a jam part of the reason is because they got behind in the count using their secondary pitches. That makes it more likely that the hitter is going to see good pitches to hit- like fastballs over the plate. Make sense?

HERE is the issue. When we got into that situation we started WORKING the count instead of being AGGRESSIVE. And sure, Collins did indeed work a walk but then Wes strikes out on a somewhat borderline pitch- but if you are MSU in ANY sport do NOT PUT THINGS IN THE HANDS OF THE OFFICIALS. You have to protect the plate there. We had the pitcher on the ropes and we allowed him to throw some strikes and get his composure and confidence back. Had we attacked the ball, we probably get at least a run. Instead we get a walk and a backwards K and no runs. Our approach without runners on base is fine for the most part. But with runners on we have to tweak it.

And yes, I am being a little cut and dried because how you approach it depends on the pitcher you are facing. If you are facing a freshman with control issues and there are RISP- err on the side of caution and work the count and don't get yourself out. But the guy Ole Miss threw was a veteran pitcher who has pretty good control- therefore attack.

Now the pitching staff- we looked like complete hot garbage. Tatum looked OK for the most part. If I was Cohen, I would only keep Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Preston, Houston, and maybe Mintz- and he would have to earn it. The rest should be cut. Good God. THROW STRIKES AND ATTACK THE STRIKE ZONE.

Watching Ross I noticed something very interesting about five batters in the game. He always tries to get everyone out the EXACT same way every single time. What Ole Miss was basically doing was let him get two strikes and then they would dive over the plate and drive the ball because Ross ALWAYS tried to get them to chase soft away EVERY SINGLE TIME. So, I don't think Ross's problem is the new ball or dead arm- I think it's scouting. And all he has to do to fix it is bust a hitter or two inside with a fastball. He'll either strike them out or hit them in the ribs as much as hitters are diving at his out pitch. Either way, he'll either stop them from diving away or look like the Ross of old probably. It's pretty bad that a guy that works at a hospital figured this out and no one on our damn coaching staff or team figured it out. I guarantee you every single team we play has it figured out- and the stats prove it.

The most disappointing thing to me was the total lack of effort from entering the ballpark to getting on the bus. We look out of shape. We lack energy. We do not have winners on this team. Because winners would not accept playing like this and have some pride to do what it takes to get better.

Cohen deserves the blame and as much as he can get for tonight. He is the one that has misevaluated our players overall character and he has misevaluated what the issues are with the team in the field and on the mound. I don't even really understand how you miss some of the things I saw tonight because some of them are sooooo obvious. And very correctable. Now he can't fix the fact that they aren't winners and don't have the ambition to succeed on the baseball field. Other than process them out and learn from past mistakes. But there are a few small things that he can do to make us better-and probably would have gotten us to a regional.

We're going to have a lot of new faces contributing and fighting for jobs next year. Based on what I saw tonight, I would not be shocked to see two freshmen starting in our middle infield- and they would be an upgrade. The only position players that I feel are safe right now are Collins, Humphreys, Rooker, Robson, and maybe Gridley and maybe Reynolds if he stays hot. We may be "young" next year- but I guarantee you we will play a whole hell of a lot harder than we are now. And yes- that's after MLB picks our class apart.

Peace.

Maroonthirteen
04-29-2015, 04:28 AM
When Collins and Rea took so many pitches in that situation, I knew we were waiting for them to give us a run rather than earn them ourselves. But with that said, I highly doubt Cohen gives either player the take sign in that situation. Maybe the players have been taught to try and shrink the strike zone....sit on one pitch, one spot.... I don't know. But the previous AB Rea chased a fastball up for the K. I'm thinking...... He was just over matched.

Sure, maybe the teaching, philosophy is bad. But so is the recruiting.

Crxxm was coming back for another year until 45-0. Cxhen is down 11-1 after the 1st quarter......

thf24
04-29-2015, 07:40 AM
Crxxm was coming back for another year until 45-0. Cxhen is down 11-1 after the 1st quarter......

Croom never made it remotely near the national championship game. In no world would Cohen not get another year, unless he pulls a Bobby Petrino or similar incident. Next year had better be vastly different though.

Maroonthirteen
04-29-2015, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I'm not comparing their careers. I'm saying MSU is a patient athletic department until OM embarasses us. Then anything you have done is irrelevant to the Big Dawgs. They will turn up the pressure on the AD office.

Cohen better hope he pulls out a single W in Oxford. But I'm telling y'all now. It will be tough. They will be gunning to win three more by 10 runs.

GTHOM
04-29-2015, 08:46 AM
In my opinion cohen has lost this team. THEY DO NOT CARE. And aint gonna care. I love cohen, i think hes a great guy and he was a good coach when his piss stayed hot and he didnt go soft, i firmly believe he lost this team the year we went to omaha, when he cut loose and let them start all the cutesy stuff in the dugout. This season is over and next year wont be much better till we find some players whos nuts have dropped and a coach that can get to them. Im hoping cohen can but i honestly doubt it

Dawgface
04-29-2015, 08:56 AM
If you think going to that game was bad- try taking off work and driving from New Orleans to watch it. Peace.

I'll give you this....you are certainly a die hard State baseball fan to drive that far to watch this team. I wouldn't have gone if I lived in Jackson.

GTHOM
04-29-2015, 09:01 AM
I'll give you this....you are certainly a die hard State baseball fan to drive that far to watch this team. I wouldn't have gone if I lived in Jackson.

Agreed, unfortunately i had to be there because i work on the field at trustmark, i wouldnt pay a dime to watch this garbage. If they dont care i dont care

AROB44
04-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Todd....are you counting McCord in the pitchers that he should cut?

HancockCountyDog
04-29-2015, 09:35 AM
HERE is the issue. When we got into that situation we started WORKING the count instead of being AGGRESSIVE. And sure, Collins did indeed work a walk but then Wes strikes out on a somewhat borderline pitch- but if you are MSU in ANY sport do NOT PUT THINGS IN THE HANDS OF THE OFFICIALS. You have to protect the plate there. We had the pitcher on the ropes and we allowed him to throw some strikes and get his composure and confidence back. Had we attacked the ball, we probably get at least a run. Instead we get a walk and a backwards K and no runs. Our approach without runners on base is fine for the most part. But with runners on we have to tweak it.

Here is the issue you are missing - Wes Rea is not a great hitter. The reason we didn't score runs in that inning is that Gavin is ok, so he takes a walk. Wes is ok, and he struck out. Wes is a leadoff hitter trapped in an offensive tackle's body. He is not a run producer at heart. He works counts and gets on base, and does it well, but he is simply not that talented of a player as the MLB draft has already proven.

Now the pitching staff- we looked like complete hot garbage. Tatum looked OK for the most part. If I was Cohen, I would only keep Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Preston, Houston, and maybe Mintz- and he would have to earn it. The rest should be cut. Good God. THROW STRIKES AND ATTACK THE STRIKE ZONE.

Totally agree though I haven't seen that much from Tatum and overall I think our pitchers were wildly overrated. I don't see a single one of them getting drafted in the first five rounds next year, and probably not the top 10 rounds. The problem is that they simply aren't talented.

Watching Ross I noticed something very interesting about five batters in the game. He always tries to get everyone out the EXACT same way every single time. What Ole Miss was basically doing was let him get two strikes and then they would dive over the plate and drive the ball because Ross ALWAYS tried to get them to chase soft away EVERY SINGLE TIME. So, I don't think Ross's problem is the new ball or dead arm- I think it's scouting. And all he has to do to fix it is bust a hitter or two inside with a fastball. He'll either strike them out or hit them in the ribs as much as hitters are diving at his out pitch. Either way, he'll either stop them from diving away or look like the Ross of old probably. It's pretty bad that a guy that works at a hospital figured this out and no one on our damn coaching staff or team figured it out. I guarantee you every single team we play has it figured out- and the stats prove it.

Here is the problem with this approach, Ross throws an 83-85 mph fastball. You can't bust anyone inside with that type of fastball, even if guys are looking away, they can turn on that weak sauce in a heartbeat. Ross is the same pitcher he has been the last two years, which is a guy that put up elite stats but that didn't get a sniff from MLB.

The most disappointing thing to me was the total lack of effort from entering the ballpark to getting on the bus. We look out of shape. We lack energy. We do not have winners on this team. Because winners would not accept playing like this and have some pride to do what it takes to get better.

I wasn't there, so Im assuming you are right on this.

Cohen deserves the blame and as much as he can get for tonight. He is the one that has misevaluated our players overall character and he has misevaluated what the issues are with the team in the field and on the mound. I don't even really understand how you miss some of the things I saw tonight because some of them are sooooo obvious. And very correctable. Now he can't fix the fact that they aren't winners and don't have the ambition to succeed on the baseball field. Other than process them out and learn from past mistakes. But there are a few small things that he can do to make us better-and probably would have gotten us to a regional.

We're going to have a lot of new faces contributing and fighting for jobs next year. Based on what I saw tonight, I would not be shocked to see two freshmen starting in our middle infield- and they would be an upgrade. The only position players that I feel are safe right now are Collins, Humphreys, Rooker, Robson, and maybe Gridley and maybe Reynolds if he stays hot. We may be "young" next year- but I guarantee you we will play a whole hell of a lot harder than we are now. And yes- that's after MLB picks our class apart.

I don't know why Humphreys is safe. A guy that hits .233 with a .322 OB% is not someone i care if he comes back. Rooker is at .224 avg, Gridley at .235 and .321 OB%. that is just awful. Robson I agree that he should come back and be our leadoff guy next year. My concern is that next year we lose three of our top 5 hitters. Vick, Rea, and Heck all graduate. They are 3 of 5 guys batting over .280. Our top two pitchers based on ERA are Fitts and Laster. Both seniors. I would think that Preston leaves assuming he gets drafted somewhere in the draft since he is a RS Junior. Beyond that, what do we have? Tatum has a 6.94 ERA in the SEC games. Sexton is better at 4.20, but overall where are the talented arms? Even if our recruiting class doesn't get eaten alive by the draft, it almost always takes a full season before true freshman are dominant. Can we handle another year where we aren't hosting? Even if we make a regional as a 2 or 3 seed?

I have been a big advocate for Cohen this year, and have stayed out of the threads because baseball teams can't be judged by one inning, one game, one series or one really good run. I agree with that philosophy, but if I do, then I also have to say that Cohen has only hosted a regional one time in his career here. Now, I don't count the first two years, but I definitely count starting in 2011 and so far we have one awesome season, one shit burger season, one good season (Super w/Florida) and two average seasons. I expect us to host a regional more than once every five years. Based on what we have coming back for next year, I don't see a regional host team either. Just no way. So, are we talking 1 regional host in 6 years? Does one awesome run erase several average seasons where we aren't hosting regionals? Im just looking at the projection of our baseball team, and it is the complete opposite of our football and basketball team.

Homedawg
04-29-2015, 09:52 AM

McCord had an arm issue or so I was told. Not sure of the severity.

War Machine Dawg
04-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Here is the issue you are missing - Wes Rea is not a great hitter. The reason we didn't score runs in that inning is that Gavin is ok, so he takes a walk. Wes is ok, and he struck out. Wes is a leadoff hitter trapped in an offensive tackle's body. He is not a run producer at heart. He works counts and gets on base, and does it well, but he is simply not that talented of a player as the MLB draft has already proven.

Totally agree though I haven't seen that much from Tatum and overall I think our pitchers were wildly overrated. I don't see a single one of them getting drafted in the first five rounds next year, and probably not the top 10 rounds. The problem is that they simply aren't talented.

Here is the problem with this approach, Ross throws an 83-85 mph fastball. You can't bust anyone inside with that type of fastball, even if guys are looking away, they can turn on that weak sauce in a heartbeat. Ross is the same pitcher he has been the last two years, which is a guy that put up elite stats but that didn't get a sniff from MLB.

I don't know why Humphreys is safe. A guy that hits .233 with a .322 OB% is not someone i care if he comes back. Rooker is at .224 avg, Gridley at .235 and .321 OB%. that is just awful. Robson I agree that he should come back and be our leadoff guy next year. My concern is that next year we lose three of our top 5 hitters. Vick, Rea, and Heck all graduate. They are 3 of 5 guys batting over .280. Our top two pitchers based on ERA are Fitts and Laster. Both seniors. I would think that Preston leaves assuming he gets drafted somewhere in the draft since he is a RS Junior. Beyond that, what do we have? Tatum has a 6.94 ERA in the SEC games. Sexton is better at 4.20, but overall where are the talented arms? Even if our recruiting class doesn't get eaten alive by the draft, it almost always takes a full season before true freshman are dominant. Can we handle another year where we aren't hosting? Even if we make a regional as a 2 or 3 seed?

I have been a big advocate for Cohen this year, and have stayed out of the threads because baseball teams can't be judged by one inning, one game, one series or one really good run. I agree with that philosophy, but if I do, then I also have to say that Cohen has only hosted a regional one time in his career here. Now, I don't count the first two years, but I definitely count starting in 2011 and so far we have one awesome season, one shit burger season, one good season (Super w/Florida) and two average seasons. I expect us to host a regional more than once every five years. Based on what we have coming back for next year, I don't see a regional host team either. Just no way. So, are we talking 1 regional host in 6 years? Does one awesome run erase several average seasons where we aren't hosting regionals? Im just looking at the projection of our baseball team, and it is the complete opposite of our football and basketball team.

I think we all know what the answer to those questions SHOULD be. What the answers WILL be from this administration is another situation entirely. Every MSU fan should expect to host a regional more than once ever half decade. If I were in charge, Cohen might not make it past this season depending on how we finish. But it would be made clear after the season in no uncertain terms, that next year he either fields a team that hosts a regional or his ass is out the door.

HancockCountyDog
04-29-2015, 11:19 AM
I think we all know what the answer to those questions SHOULD be. What the answers WILL be from this administration is another situation entirely. Every MSU fan should expect to host a regional more than once ever half decade. If I were in charge, Cohen might not make it past this season depending on how we finish. But it would be made clear after the season in no uncertain terms, that next year he either fields a team that hosts a regional or his ass is out the door.

This is weird to say, but I don't want Cohen fired, but if we don't host a regional next year, on PAPER ONLY, he should be fired. If you told me that in 8 seasons at the helm, we would only host one regional, I would say that he would have to be fired. How much does the CWS run give him? I genuinely don't know because i don't want him fired after this year for sure, and probably not after next year unless they lay another egg.

I believe that your record during the regular season defines the team you are - not one good or bad weekend in May. So far we have only had one team good enough to host a regional. That is a problem and at the end of the day, if we are only hosting once in 6 years, that is a problem. A big problem, that other accomplishments can't drown out in my eyes.

Goat from MSU
04-29-2015, 12:02 PM
In 5 one run games this year that we lost .Pine Bluff, San Deigo, South Ala.,Fla.,and Ark. .If they were wins our RPI would be 50 and we would have postseason play.Ten runs as of now define this season . Baseball at State is our god and now we are mad at him .Oh well....

War Machine Dawg
04-29-2015, 12:02 PM
This is weird to say, but I don't want Cohen fired, but if we don't host a regional next year, on PAPER ONLY, he should be fired. If you told me that in 8 seasons at the helm, we would only host one regional, I would say that he would have to be fired. How much does the CWS run give him? I genuinely don't know because i don't want him fired after this year for sure, and probably not after next year unless they lay another egg.

I believe that your record during the regular season defines the team you are - not one good or bad weekend in May. So far we have only had one team good enough to host a regional. That is a problem and at the end of the day, if we are only hosting once in 6 years, that is a problem. A big problem, that other accomplishments can't drown out in my eyes.

http://i.imgur.com/xHFRtju.gif

HancockCountyDog
04-29-2015, 12:04 PM
In 5 one run games this year that we lost .Pine Bluff, San Deigo, South Ala.,Fla.,and Ark. .If they were wins our RPI would be 50 and we would have postseason play.Ten runs as of now define this season . Baseball at State is our god and now we are mad at him .Oh well....

We also have 4 games that we have won by one run. In baseball, it all usually evens out.

Goat from MSU
04-29-2015, 12:13 PM
True but even if we had won only The Pine Bluff and South Ala. Those 2 games we would have at least a RPI of 65 and a fighting chance. Our problems with baseball goes back even before this season.
We also have 4 games that we have won by one run. In baseball, it all usually evens out.

basedog
04-29-2015, 01:35 PM
I think everyone is over analyzing our baseball players in talent as well as approach whether it be hitting or pitching. We just don't have very good players period, I don't see any returning players to make me thing differently either, not ONE returning player I see as an All Conference player.

In year 7 Cohen shouldn't have any excuse to why we are so bad and are about to have a sub .500 overall record and even worse not make the top 12 teams to the SEC tourney. Baseball should be a simple and fun game and I just don't see the players or fans having fun!

Not sure Cohen can turn this train around enough for next year, we are a mess of a baseball program right now.

Todd4State
04-29-2015, 02:50 PM

Yep. He can go rehab at Delta State for all I care.

Todd4State
04-29-2015, 03:05 PM

I'm not saying that Rea would have gotten a hit with a different approach or that he is a good player. But it seemed to me like he was trying to work a walk and not get a hit. I'd rather him be aggressive and fly out or ground out than strike out looking. And yes, a better player is more likely to get a hit with Rea, but that's moot.

We'll see about our pitchers. Most people didn't think that Stratton or Lindgren would be top two round picks after their sophomore years. The trick for us is getting guys that can contribute as freshmen and sophomores at a high level.

I disagree about Ross not being able to come in during that situation. I don't think you understand how bad their hitters were diving off the plate- they were literally in the other batters box. He just has to show it a few times for hitters to stop.

I think Humphreys is overrated, but he also leads our team in home runs. I'm willing to gamble with someone like that. Preston ain't going nowhere unless he just quits or transfers- and I don't think that will happen.

I'm not sure why the measuring stick is hosting regionals all of a sudden. Probably so people can bitch in case we don't host and go to a SR like we did in 2011. I don't see us hosting next year either- but I do see us being a lot better and I see us bringing in some players that are going to help us stay consistently where we want to be going forward. Ron Polk would have had a few years like this too had he not been allowed to play Belhaven and St. Olaf. Thing is without that awesome season, we probably don't have the class that we are about to bring in.