PDA

View Full Version : This is going to be fun...

TheRef
04-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Ben Wait
@bcwait
John Cohen tells Jim Ellis "you have to earn the right to wear this uniform. We're evaluating some things on our club right now."

10:10pm ? 28 Apr 2015 ? Twitter for iPhone

ScottH
04-28-2015, 10:14 PM
This will be by far the most entertaining part of the season.

If I was on the team, I'd be nervous as hell.

That crazy bastard might bring in a virtually all new team.

BeardoMSU
04-28-2015, 10:14 PM
Ben Wait
@bcwait
John Cohen tells Jim Ellis "you have to earn the right to wear this uniform. We're evaluating some things on our club right now."

Its nice to see coach taking responsibility***

Oh, snap: the coaches wear uniforms too....maybe he's talking about himself....

msstate7
04-28-2015, 10:17 PM
This will be by far the most entertaining part of the season.

If I was on the team, I'd be nervous as hell.

That crazy bastard might bring in a virtually all new team.

I hope he does. Although he brought in this team, so it might not make a difference

Quaoarsking
04-28-2015, 10:18 PM
I suggested back in 2010 that we remove "Mississippi State" from the jerseys snd just wear blank shirts until we earn the right to use the name again.

We didn't do it, obviously, but we should have, and it may be time to break out that idea again.

Eric Nies Grind Time
04-28-2015, 10:18 PM
Maybe he will throw a chair over after we get swept by lsu and ole miss. That would show 'em.

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2015, 10:22 PM
The problem is that this isn't high school. The same players that Cohen believe don't deserve to wear this uniform, are players that Cohen chose to play for MSU.

WE ARE MISSISSIPPI STATE BASEBALL FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!! Scholarship issues or not, we have the resources, tradition, support, & facilities to recruit really good baseball players. Why that hasn't happened has nothing to do with the players who are currently in uniform and everything to do with the people who chose those players to wear that uniform.

Any other explanation is simply a smoke screen to deter blame.

YOU LOSE WITH THE PLAYERS THAT YOU ACQUIRE, NOT THE PLAYERS THAT YOU PASS ON.

yjnkdawg
04-28-2015, 10:32 PM
Ben Wait
@bcwait

So none of the coaches will be wearing uniforms? Hopefully they are evaluating the coaching aspect as well as player performance and attitudes.

Bothrops
04-28-2015, 10:33 PM
There will be lots of guys transfer out I bet.

msstate7
04-28-2015, 10:34 PM

Please Lord let the bench mob leave

Billy Ray Valentine
04-28-2015, 10:40 PM
I honestly did not see this coming, and I'm a baseball savvy guy. Cohen has completely lost this team.

msstate7
04-28-2015, 10:42 PM
I honestly did not see this coming, and I'm a baseball savvy guy. Cohen has completely lost this team.

Cohen certainly gets blame, but this group of seniors need some too. I cannot wait for these seniors to be gone

Bothrops
04-28-2015, 10:47 PM
Will Cohen make it through a single game this weekend? His frustration is going to breach the threshold. Should be a show.

yjnkdawg
04-28-2015, 10:50 PM
Cohen certainly gets blame, but this group of seniors need some too. I cannot wait for these seniors to be gone

No senior leadership at all, was what i heard. Just seems like no team chemistry and then players being shuffled around and not knowing if they are going to start or not, maybe not knowing until the day of the game, can't help either.

yjnkdawg
04-28-2015, 10:59 PM
Will Cohen make it through a single game this weekend? His frustration is going to breach the threshold. Should be a show.

Unless LSU comes in and lays down like a dead Tiger (which is very doubtful), I would say the odds are leaning toward no.

ShotgunDawg
04-28-2015, 10:59 PM

OK, baseball savvy guy. Please explain to me what you saw in this team, before the season, that made you believe they could be good?

I'm having trouble understanding how a "baseball savvy" guy didn't see this coming

Five-tool Poster
04-28-2015, 11:16 PM
OK, baseball savvy guy. Please explain to me what you saw in this team, before the season, that made you believe they could be good?

I'm having trouble understanding how a "baseball savvy" guy didn't see this coming

Oh so you saw us missing the SEC tournament this year?

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2015, 11:20 PM

One can dream. Unfortunately, we all know that isn't the case. The Meddler isn't capable of realizing his philosophy is the problem.

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2015, 11:22 PM

No senior leadership at all, was what i heard. Just seems like no team chemistry and then players being shuffled around and not knowing if they are going to start or not, maybe not knowing until the day of the game, can't help either.

Funny how things change. I remember myself and a couple others getting ripped mercilessly at the end of last season for saying we wished Rea and a few of the others wouldn't come back.

MsStateBaseball
04-28-2015, 11:26 PM
Before the season I was thinking 13-15 SEC wins and 20 non conf wins. I always expect players to play better by the end. We got 16 non conf. Should have 3 more SEC. I predicted to be in SECT, go to a regional. If they get hot win regional. We might squeek into SECT, then go 0-1 or 1-2.

Lots of changes ahead. Specifically, the recruit will be better. Cohen must change his ways too or he'll be fired. June is huge month of draft, recruiting after bad year and attrition.

msstate7
04-28-2015, 11:27 PM
Unless we slip the small pox virus in lsu's food tomorrow, we're not winning this series. I wish Cohen would show us some of these "problem guys" by benching them. It's not like we're gonna win anyway

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2015, 11:29 PM
The problem is that this isn't high school. The same players that Cohen believe don't deserve to wear this uniform, are players that Cohen chose to play for MSU.

WE ARE MISSISSIPPI STATE BASEBALL FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!! Scholarship issues or not, we have the resources, tradition, support, & facilities to recruit really good baseball players. Why that hasn't happened has nothing to do with the players who are currently in uniform and everything to do with the people who chose those players to wear that uniform.

Any other explanation is simply a smoke screen to deter blame.

YOU LOSE WITH THE PLAYERS THAT YOU ACQUIRE, NOT THE PLAYERS THAT YOU PASS ON.

Nailed it. This is Cohen's 7th season. These are indisputably HIS guys, not Polk's leftovers. He's the one that thought they could play and signed them. If the talent level is as bad as some would have us believe, that's on Cohen. If the talent level is fine, but players aren't developing/performing that's on Cohen. Either way, he's the one responsible for this team. Anything else is a damned lie. Cohen needs to ask himself if he's earned the right to wear the M-over-S. Because based on this season's results and our flameout last season, I'd say he doesn't. And while I believe he's probably safe for one more year, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we parted ways after the season.

msstate7
04-28-2015, 11:30 PM
Before the season I was thinking 13-15 SEC wins and 20 non conf wins. I always expect players to play better by the end. We got 16 non conf. Should have 3 more SEC. I predicted to be in SECT, go to a regional. If they get hot win regional. We might squeek into SECT, then go 0-1 or 1-2.

Lots of changes ahead. Specifically, the recruit will be better. Cohen must change his ways too or he'll be fired. June is huge month of draft, recruiting after bad year and attrition.

If our signees get drafted at all, I think we're gonna have a hard time getting them in school after this season. So after we lose guys to mlb, we'll scramble and sign some jucos which will result in another crap season

Todd4State
04-28-2015, 11:44 PM
If our signees get drafted at all, I think we're gonna have a hard time getting them in school after this season. So after we lose guys to mlb, we'll scramble and sign some jucos which will result in another crap season

Oh, we'll have signees drafted. Trust me on this.

I wouldn't worry about them though- most of them are actually pretty excited to come play for us. I saw some "keep your heads up" tweets from a few of them. The biggest thing to overcome is MLB money. Which is not really any different than any other year.

Todd4State
04-28-2015, 11:45 PM
Unless we slip the small pox virus in lsu's food tomorrow, we're not winning this series. I wish Cohen would show us some of these "problem guys" by benching them. It's not like we're gonna win anyway

So, you want to play shorthanded?

Todd4State
04-28-2015, 11:47 PM
Ben Wait
@bcwait

This shouldn't surprise anyone. I said a week or two ago that there would be some major changes in the offseason- and it probably will not just be player related either. I just hope he doesn't just promote Dillon to hitting coach because he hasn't impressed me at all.

I do hope we bring in Jarrod Parks though.

Todd4State
04-28-2015, 11:52 PM

I don't know about lots, but there will definitely be some. We have seniors that obviously will be gone like Ross, Fitts, Rea, Heck, Walker, Vickerson- that's quite a bit of dead weight right there.

RougeDawg
04-29-2015, 12:26 AM
Nailed it. This is Cohen's 7th season. These are indisputably HIS guys, not Polk's leftovers. He's the one that thought they could play and signed them. If the talent level is as bad as some would have us believe, that's on Cohen. If the talent level is fine, but players aren't developing/performing that's on Cohen. Either way, he's the one responsible for this team. Anything else is a damned lie. Cohen needs to ask himself if he's earned the right to wear the M-over-S. Because based on this season's results and our flameout last season, I'd say he doesn't. And while I believe he's probably safe for one more year, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if we parted ways after the season.

Aaaaaaannnnd.... The congregation said Amen!!!

Billy Ray Valentine
04-29-2015, 04:57 AM

So I guess you knew that Ross Mitchell was gonna completely shit the bed this year. You saw all those 8th inning collapses coming. With the talent we supposedly have based on our last couple recruiting classes there is no way we should be this bad. What I didn't see was the lack of leadership and the shitshow of a coaching job we were gonna get this year.

I seen it dawg
04-29-2015, 05:39 AM
Whole staff gone replaced by non MSU people. Upperclassmen gone. Problem solved.

Smitty
04-29-2015, 06:30 AM
This has been what I've always seen from Cohen. He doesn't have the best pen in the country to bail him out this time so all the "we're winning why are you complaining about anything" crowd can't talk.

We are Mississippi State. Making a regional shouldn't be an accomplishment it should be a requirement. We've hosted one.. Cut the cord, throw some money around, and maybe these croots will have a better shot at showing up on campus.

starkvegasdawg
04-29-2015, 06:44 AM
Maybe we can get this guy. Has to be an improvement.

http://4.images.southparkstudios.com/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/import/season_09/sp_0905_10_v8.jpg?width=300&height=169&crop=true&quality=0.8

Drugdog
04-29-2015, 06:50 AM
Whole staff gone replaced by non MSU people. Upperclassmen gone. Problem solved.

Yes!! We need new blood. Take a look at Football.

msstate7
04-29-2015, 07:02 AM

Dan heefner

shoeless joe
04-29-2015, 07:03 AM
Man I hope he was talking about himself! Surely we fire him at the end of the year! This is unacceptable!! And once we do fire him I bet every coach in the country will be beating down our door to come coach for us!!! We would have just fired an alum who brought us back from the dead, won an SEC tourney, and took us to the brink of a natty al in the last 4 seasons!!! But after this terrible season we're done with his ass! Surely other legitimate big time coaches will see the respect for the job and the appreciation of the school that goes into such great job security!! We're Mississippi State by God, and we have never struggled thru losing season before this clown of a coach we have now!!! Run his ass outta here on a rail today!!!!***************************

Dumbasses

msstate7
04-29-2015, 07:11 AM
Man I hope he was talking about himself! Surely we fire him at the end of the year! This is unacceptable!! And once we do fire him I bet every coach in the country will be beating down our door to come coach for us!!! We would have just fired an alum who brought us back from the dead, won an SEC tourney, and took us to the brink of a natty al in the last 4 seasons!!! But after this terrible season we're done with his ass! Surely other legitimate big time coaches will see the respect for the job and the appreciation of the school that goes into such great job security!! We're Mississippi State by God, and we have never struggled thru losing season before this clown of a coach we have now!!! Run his ass outta here on a rail today!!!!***************************

Dumbasses

Auburn fired chizik 2 years after he WON a natty and he had a chick fil a bowl the year after. Msu baseball should be the equal of auburn football.

I'm leaning towards just telling Cohen to fire some staff and get a proven hitting coach. I wouldn't care if we fired him though. Dan heefner would come and he'd be an upgrade imo. We're about to build the premier baseball stadium in the country, we're in the sec, and we pay well. You're kidding yourself if you don't think we could get a good coach after firing Cohen

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2015, 07:30 AM
So I guess you knew that Ross Mitchell was gonna completely shit the bed this year. You saw all those 8th inning collapses coming. With the talent we supposedly have based on our last couple recruiting classes there is no way we should be this bad. What I didn't see was the lack of leadership and the shitshow of a coaching job we were gonna get this year.

1. Yes. Ross throws 82-83 mph and is a fly ball pitcher. Not a good combo, especially with the new balls. By definition, he is a "smoke and mirrors" guy . Not very talented

2. Yes, we had Jonathan Holder and Jacob Lindgren. We did not replace them with talents that were even close. This was obvious. Shame on you for not seeing this.

3. Talent we supposedly had? According to who? We have subpar difference making talent when compared to others in our division. Did you make up that we were supposed to have good talent? Where did this come from?

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Dan heefner

Heefner is a very good coach, but would have no interest in coming to MSU. He is Ben Zobriest's brother-in-law (who played at Dallas Baptist), and has a great thing going at Dallas Baptist. Plus, Dan is a devout family man that relishes the fact that Dallas Baptist can recruit it's entire recruiting classes within a 2 hour radius from the school.

msstate7
04-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Heefner is a very good coach, but would have no interest in coming to MSU. He is Ben Zobriest's brother-in-law (who played at Dallas Baptist), and has a great thing going at Dallas Baptist. Plus, Dan is a devout family man that relishes the fact that Dallas Baptist can recruit it's entire recruiting classes within a 2 hour radius from the school.

How much does Dan make at Dallas baptist? Somehow I think it pales in comparison to cohen's 600k

Coach34
04-29-2015, 07:41 AM
Cohen has earned the right to fix it next year. Whether he does or not- we'll see

Dawgface
04-29-2015, 07:43 AM

Yeah....he needs to do a self evaluation.

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2015, 07:45 AM
How much does Dan make at Dallas baptist? Somehow I think it pales in comparison to cohen's 600k

Dan makes pretty good money at Dallas Baptist, but, honestly, I'm not sure Dan is a good fit for MSU. Dan's personality perfectly fits at Dallas Baptist. DBU is a bubble of innocence in the DFW area & Dan matches that. Dan is a really good man & teaches a certain hitting approach that works perfectly at DBU's field, which has the highest park factor of any college baseball field in the country and sits on top of a hill.

Dan will probably stay at DBU for the rest of his career or take the Texas head coaching job, if that staff gets canned in the next few years. I'm sure he'd also consider TCU, but Schloss will be around for a while.

msstate7
04-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Cohen has earned the right to fix it next year. Whether he does or not- we'll see

You're probably right, but Cohen has lost the right to keep his staff how he has it. Cohen should have some stipulations now.

The year SS announces the new stadium, Cohen has fractured our fanbase. I can't think SS is very happy with Cohen right now. The new baseball stadium is SS' legacy and this season has to have thrown a monkey wrench in fundraising

engie
04-29-2015, 07:47 AM
This whole board has gone full retard.

Hope Cohen walks?

He hasn't earned the right to wear maroon and white?

Ross Mitchell is a fly ball pitcher?

All signees leaving.

Holy. Crap. The board is better than this when it's talking about recruiting classes with potential for 5 first rounders being bust classes, Bracky actually losing the Egg Bowl, and other cringe-worthy ridiculousness to people that aren't so blinded by hatred that they can still take a step back and see things for what they are.

msstate7
04-29-2015, 07:52 AM
All signees leaving.

After seeing this abortion of a season, do you think our recruits will turn down mlb money to play here right now? I don't. Of course we won't lose all of our class, but we will lose the best ones. Once we do, we'll scramble to fill holes with juco guys

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2015, 07:53 AM
FWIW, I believe Cohen is the right guy & we have the right staff in place. I am extremely frustrated about what has happened & that, somewhere along the way, this staff lost their way and they need to take accountability for that. However, do believe that the combination of Cohen & Butch is better than anything we could hire by starting over.

I also think that this staff has already started to make the necessary adjustments in recruiting that fans simply haven't been able to see yet because the players aren't yet on the team. This staff saw this coming a few years ago, but for some reason failed to find adequate stop gaps to fix the problem. That being said, the problems that we are complaining about today, they saw coming well over a year ago.

missouridawg

I got a really good chuckle out of this one too.

ShotgunDawg

Hope Cohen walks?

All signees leaving.

Holy. Crap. The board is better than this when it's talking about recruiting classes with potential for 5 first rounders being bust classes, Bracky actually losing the Egg Bowl, and other cringe-worthy ridiculousness to people that aren't so blinded by hatred that they can still take a step back and see things for what they are.

In the sense of what type of pitcher he would be at the next level, yes he is a fly ball pitcher.

Homedawg
04-29-2015, 08:02 AM
This shouldn't surprise anyone. I said a week or two ago that there would be some major changes in the offseason- and it probably will not just be player related either. I just hope he doesn't just promote Dillon to hitting coach because he hasn't impressed me at all.

I do hope we bring in Jarrod Parks though.
Dillon is the "hitting coach". I know it's in title, because our hitting philosophy is john's. But that's why we don't have a first base coach. He's in the dugout to talk to hitters, etc.

Homedawg
04-29-2015, 08:04 AM

Hope Cohen walks?

All signees leaving.

^this

RocketCityDawg
04-29-2015, 08:17 AM

Hope Cohen walks?

All signees leaving.

I'm with you engie. The guys making these statements are embarrassing themselves. Of course, they won't realize it because part of being this far off base is NOT realizing that you're that far off.

Coach34
04-29-2015, 08:22 AM
You're probably right, but Cohen has lost the right to keep his staff how he has it. Cohen should have some stipulations now.

The year SS announces the new stadium, Cohen has fractured our fanbase. I can't think SS is very happy with Cohen right now. The new baseball stadium is SS' legacy and this season has to have thrown a monkey wrench in fundraising

That's stupid. Cohen runs the program- it's not like Football where there is so much involved and offensive philosophies are so varied. Cohen gets next year to fix it. It's simple. One down season doesn't cause you to change everything you ****ing do. 2 straight years? That's a different story

engie
04-29-2015, 08:33 AM
After seeing this abortion of a season, do you think our recruits will turn down mlb money to play here right now? I don't. Of course we won't lose all of our class, but we will lose the best ones. Once we do, we'll scramble to fill holes with juco guys

Why do you think "the season before they got there" makes a damn to already-signed recruits? For every guy more likely to leave because you struggled the year before -- there's another five that are more likely to show up because they see the ability to step in and be a 3 year day 1 starter and thus have a chance to make a run at our record books. If we were a national seed right now -- we would have guys more than likely thinking they come in and redshirt and sit out a year, which in baseball totally sucks, and are therefore more likely to take whatever MLB gives them...

You are generally reasonable -- but you are stuck looking at this as if it's a negative-effect vacuum when it isn't.

engie
04-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Dillon is the "hitting coach". I know it's in title, because our hitting philosophy is john's. But that's why we don't have a first base coach. He's in the dugout to talk to hitters, etc.

Talking to hitters in the dugout is too late to effectively change the issues with this team. I certainly don't doubt that he's doing that and that he's good at it -- but by that point, the hay is already in the barn.

We lost this season in the fall and in recruiting Perfect Game allstars that don't match the previous identity that we had established here...

engie
04-29-2015, 08:37 AM
In the sense of what type of pitcher he would be at the next level, yes he is a fly ball pitcher.

Arguably the most prolific ground ball pitcher in MSU history is a fly ball guy now? You are doubling down on stupid on this...

msstate7
04-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Why do you think "the season before they got there" makes a damn to already-signed recruits? For every guy more likely to leave because you struggled the year before -- there's another five that are more likely to show up because they see the ability to step in and be a 3 year starter and make a run at our record books. If we were a national seed right now -- we would have guys more than likely thinking they come in and redshirt and sit out a year, which in baseball totally sucks, and are therefore more likely to take whatever MLB gives them...

You are generally reasonable -- but you are stuck looking at this as if it's a negative-effect vacuum when it isn't.

Bc I pissed. The way football ended, basketball season, and now baseball sucks. Oh and we haven't beat OM is anything this year. I know I'm being unreasonable and don't care haha

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2015, 08:42 AM
Arguably the most prolific ground ball pitcher in MSU history is a fly ball guy now? You are doubling down on stupid on this...

Agree to disagree, either way, he isn't very talented. Not worth arguing about.

GTHOM
04-29-2015, 08:56 AM
Cohen can do all he wants this year and it wouldnt matter. I think some of it is on him, but just as much if not more is on these nutless, heartless, uninspired players.

Homedawg
04-29-2015, 08:57 AM
Talking to hitters in the dugout is too late to effectively change the issues with this team. I certainly don't doubt that he's doing that and that he's good at it -- but by that point, the hay is already in the barn.

We lost this season in the fall and in recruiting Perfect Game allstars that don't match the previous identity that we had established here...
Not arguing that point. What I said was, in title, Dillon is already the "hitting coach". Nothing more nothing less. Everyone should know how it works at this point. John is the hitting coach. And nick and Dillon work w hitters. Whether that changes- we shall see.

engie
04-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Not arguing that point. What I said was, in title, Dillon is already the "hitting coach". Nothing more nothing less. Everyone should know how it works at this point. John is the hitting coach. And nick and Dillon work w hitters. Whether that changes- we shall see.

Right. With you. I'm fine with Dillon staying and don't know much about him. I want Mingione out and have from day 1 outside of a little reprieve I gave him for "recruiting" which is proving to be smoke and mirrors to this point

ShotgunDawg
04-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Right. With you. I'm fine with Dillon staying and don't know much about him. I want Mingione out and have from day 1 outside of a little reprieve I gave him for "recruiting" which is proving to be smoke and mirrors to this point

I think Mingione is doing a good job. Sure, this team sucks, but I'm not sure how much of that is his fault.

What I do know is that, disregarding who goes pro in the draft, Mingione signed a ridiculous recruiting class this year.

Austin Riley, Greg Pickett, Gray Fenter, Ethan Small, Parker Ford, etc... are all high ceiling guys that have MLB ability that MSU beat out other schools to get. In addition, while they don't have the same ceiling, MSU beat out other SEC schools for Kale Breaux, Eli Marrero, Ryan Cyr, Jake Mangum, & Jared Padgett.

I know, I know many of you have heard enough about good recruiting classes that have turned into a team that sucks, but this recruiting class has real players in it. Friday night starters in it, closers in it, power bats in it. Simply this class has the difference makers that the other classes didn't.

Sure, the current team stinks, but the problems have been addressed & MSU is now recruiting at a more elite level. I'm not sure why anyone would want to get rid of Mingione at this point.

confucius say
04-29-2015, 09:43 AM

Hope Cohen walks?

All signees leaving.

Agreed. All these people hoping Cohen will be gone need to be very clear and put it on the record so they can either gloat down the road or take their medicine. I say he gets it turned around.
Our fan base is intentionally setting up another Stans debate.

HancockCountyDog
04-29-2015, 09:45 AM
I don't know about lots, but there will definitely be some. We have seniors that obviously will be gone like Ross, Fitts, Rea, Heck, Walker, Vickerson- that's quite a bit of dead weight right there.

If those guys are dead weight, what are the rest of the guys on the team?

engie
04-29-2015, 10:50 AM
I think Mingione is doing a good job. Sure, this team sucks, but I'm not sure how much of that is his fault.
He recruited this team. It's as much a function of the Bianco teams that excelled under Godwin and McDonnell and struggled otherwise. He gets the blame for that.

What I do know is that, disregarding who goes pro in the draft, Mingione signed a ridiculous recruiting class this year.
Same could be -- and was said -- said about the last two classes on paper. Where are they -- on the field? NONE of them are elite right now.

Austin Riley, Greg Pickett, Gray Fenter, Ethan Small, Parker Ford, etc... are all high ceiling guys that have MLB ability that MSU beat out other schools to get. In addition, while they don't have the same ceiling, MSU beat out other SEC schools for Kale Breaux, Eli Marrero, Ryan Cyr, Jake Mangum, & Jared Padgett.
I've trumpeted the upcoming class more than almost anyone here. If they don't develop while here -- why bother coming here? Until guys start showing big year over year jumps like they did under Burroughs -- Mingione is recruiting smoke and mirrors.

I know, I know many of you have heard enough about good recruiting classes that have turned into a team that sucks, but this recruiting class has real players in it. Friday night starters in it, closers in it, power bats in it. Simply this class has the difference makers that the other classes didn't.
And this recruiting class is signed. Why do we need to hold Mingione for it again? Fact is -- he's a goofball. Well known as such in coaching circles. We don't need a yes man/career hanger onner in that position. We need the best hitting coach and recruiting assistant in college baseball in that position. We have everything in place to make it so. Yet we promoted the bunting guru...

Sure, the current team stinks, but the problems have been addressed & MSU is now recruiting at a more elite level. I'm not sure why anyone would want to get rid of Mingione at this point.
This, overall, is the most Ole Miss post I've ever seen in my life. "Well, you recruited the #2 national class two years ago -- and they haven't done shit -- but let's just hold out because we've got another #2 class coming that's going to fix it all."

BossDawg
04-29-2015, 11:01 AM
One down season doesn't cause you to change everything you ****ing do.

Worked out for Auburn when they got rid of The Chizz. Of course, that's football. It seems to me that, just 2 years after the CWS run that we would have a little more fight. I'm not saying a winning record, just not so much damn incompetence from top to bottom. Yeah, teams have up and down years, but good programs and coaches at least have a grip on some aspects of the game during those down years. This is perplexing to say the least.

Coach34
04-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Worked out for Auburn when they got rid of The Chizz. Of course, that's football. It seems to me that, just 2 years after the CWS run that we would have a little more fight. I'm not saying a winning record, just not so much damn incompetence from top to bottom. Yeah, teams have up and down years, but good programs and coaches at least have a grip on some aspects of the game during those down years. This is perplexing to say the least.

They got rid of Cheez because the Gus Bus had left him and it was obvious he was the reason for their success. The defense sucked the whole time Cheez was at Auburn- which was his side of the football. The downturn they took when Gus left was obvious.

Its just not a comparable to State baseball

Coursesuper
04-29-2015, 01:37 PM
They got rid of Cheez because the Gus Bus had left him and it was obvious he was the reason for their success. The defense sucked the whole time Cheez was at Auburn- which was his side of the football. The downturn they took when Gus left was obvious.

Its just not a comparable to State baseball

I agree football and baseball not even close to the same. Everything in baseball is set by the Manager/ Head Coach. The buck stops there. Changing assistants is not the same, you could make an argument about a pitching coach, but the ultimate decision making is by the Manager.

Billy Ray Valentine
04-29-2015, 01:50 PM
1. Yes. Ross throws 82-83 mph and is a fly ball pitcher. Not a good combo, especially with the new balls. By definition, he is a "smoke and mirrors" guy . Not very talented

2. Yes, we had Jonathan Holder and Jacob Lindgren. We did not replace them with talents that were even close. This was obvious. Shame on you for not seeing this.

3. Talent we supposedly had? According to who? We have subpar difference making talent when compared to others in our division. Did you make up that we were supposed to have good talent? Where did this come from?
So you knew we were gonna suck. That's some damn good foresight right there! Did you share this with the board pre season or did you just figure now would be a good time to break it to us?

MSUDawg99
04-29-2015, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=msstate7;364770]Unless we slip the small pox virus in lsu's food tomorrow, we're not winning this series.

Yeah let's throw in some scurvy & boils too

Political Hack
04-29-2015, 02:31 PM

are you anti-trolling?

engie
04-29-2015, 02:44 PM
are you anti-trolling?

I would say that I'm sick of the ridiculousness -- but the reality is that I'm pretty close to just being over it. Especially the little brother syndrome where Ole Miss makes a hefty percentage of our fanbase and an outlandish percentange here totally lose their minds.

"Cohen got a pass because of his history" they said...Until the first sign of adversity after the run and then he's right back on the chopping block according to a pretty hefty number of posters. I could go on and on -- but at this point, I simply don't care enough to. Got too much going IRL. Barely posting right now anyway and with the quality of actual discussion already having fallen off a cliff, I'd rather just drop it and read even more sparingly.

BankerDog
04-29-2015, 02:52 PM
Todd,

Dillion is indeed the hitting coach. But it's Cohen who is messing with the swings and making them approach the batter's box like they are. When we were doing well, Dillion was the guy. The guy was the Big 12 POY when he was at Baylor. Hit over .400 on a season and from several players "Can still rake." He helped Iowa State increase their average.

The biggest problem is Cohen over-managing. Trying to make Robson a slap hitter...again. After his first two years of that being a failed experiment and letting Dillon work with him he started hitting again. Then Cohen tried to make him a slap hitter again. Look at Hump, Cohen has been toying with his head. Guys can't get in grooves always worrying about if they're going to get yanked or not. He doesn't allow players to get in rhythm. And to add to my over
Managing point, you should hear the stuff he says pregame to the players...he sounds like a metrologist. He is also now taking over pitching duties as well.

And for those who think he is going to be gone after this year, msstate7. He isn't. Everyone here loved Brian O'Conner but his team isn't exactly killing it this year. But back to the point, Cohen is bringing in 20 guys in this class but only graduates 7. He has already kicked off Paul Young, Paxton Stover, and Andrew Mahoney. I expect a lot more to be gone, too. Way too many attitudes/egos in this program right now. Which is why he kicked Stover who repeatedly missed workouts then missed his meeting on missing workouts. In the case of Paul Young, he was late to a workout was told to come back the next morning and yelled F that. As I was told by a player "I have never heard Cohen that loud before." And if you need any more stories of egos on this team, Cohen walked into the trainer's office pulled out the injury log, slammed it and yelled "This s*** isn't happening next year." Referring to players faking injuries to get out of workouts, etc. there are also stories out that we have bullpen pitchers texting their buddies asking what they were getting into that night.

As I have said before, a lot of these guys thought they were the stuff just because of where we were two years ago. We don't have a Mitch Slauter who will get in the face of anyone in the dugout or on the field. These guys are more worried about how they look and what walk-out song they want. From what I have told, Cohen is extremely pissed off at this group and himself.

Todd4State
04-29-2015, 03:07 PM
If those guys are dead weight, what are the rest of the guys on the team?

Dead weight.

Todd4State
04-29-2015, 03:15 PM
Todd,

Dillion is indeed the hitting coach. But it's Cohen who is messing with the swings and making them approach the batter's box like they are. When we were doing well, Dillion was the guy. The guy was the Big 12 POY when he was at Baylor. Hit over .400 on a season and from several players "Can still rake." He helped Iowa State increase their average.

The biggest problem is Cohen over-managing. Trying to make Robson a slap hitter...again. After his first two years of that being a failed experiment and letting Dillon work with him he started hitting again. Then Cohen tried to make him a slap hitter again. Look at Hump, Cohen has been toying with his head. Guys can't get in grooves always worrying about if they're going to get yanked or not. He doesn't allow players to get in rhythm. And to add to my over
Managing point, you should hear the stuff he says pregame to the players...he sounds like a metrologist. He is also now taking over pitching duties as well.

And for those who think he is going to be gone after this year, msstate7. He isn't. Everyone here loved Brian O'Conner but his team isn't exactly killing it this year. But back to the point, Cohen is bringing in 20 guys in this class but only graduates 7. He has already kicked off Paul Young, Paxton Stover, and Andrew Mahoney. I expect a lot more to be gone, too. Way too many attitudes/egos in this program right now. Which is why he kicked Stover who repeatedly missed workouts then missed his meeting on missing workouts. In the case of Paul Young, he was late to a workout was told to come back the next morning and yelled F that. As I was told by a player "I have never heard Cohen that loud before." And if you need any more stories of egos on this team, Cohen walked into the trainer's office pulled out the injury log, slammed it and yelled "This s*** isn't happening next year." Referring to players faking injuries to get out of workouts, etc. there are also stories out that we have bullpen pitchers texting their buddies asking what they were getting into that night.

As I have said before, a lot of these guys thought they were the stuff just because of where we were two years ago. We don't have a Mitch Slauter who will get in the face of anyone in the dugout or on the field. These guys are more worried about how they look and what walk-out song they want. From what I have told, Cohen is extremely pissed off at this group and himself.

I think Cohen definitely freaks out when things aren't going well. I still say that if Humphreys wants to play, they need to perform and prove that they shouldn't be yanked. Like Luke Reynolds right now. But again, being coddled to where the only way you "get in a groove" is to stay in the lineup to fail repeatedly is sign of mental weakness on the parts of the players.

If they are fortunate enough to get into pro ball- which for most of them will be with some Indy team in the middle of nowhere if they are lucky- they're not going to give them ABs ad nauseum waiting for them to get into a rhythm.

Todd4State
04-29-2015, 03:20 PM
I would say that I'm sick of the ridiculousness -- but the reality is that I'm pretty close to just being over it. Especially the little brother syndrome where Ole Miss makes a hefty percentage of our fanbase and an outlandish percentange here totally lose their minds.

"Cohen got a pass because of his history" they said...Until the first sign of adversity after the run and then he's right back on the chopping block according to a pretty hefty number of posters. I could go on and on -- but at this point, I simply don't care enough to. Got too much going IRL. Barely posting right now anyway and with the quality of actual discussion already having fallen off a cliff, I'd rather just drop it and read even more sparingly.

No, the truth is a lot of posters just don't like Cohen- but they know that they look like idiots saying that he should be gone because of what he has accomplished, so they are left to moving the goal posts to hosting a regional and are taking their shots during the one bad year in five. Interestingly very few have any names as to who would be better.

That or they don't like Cohen because they think he is trying to destroy the LFL- but that's another discussion.

Coach34
04-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Cohen is "the man after THE MAN" so he is never going to be liked by a certain faction no matter what he does. That's why you see some of the posts you do. Cohen then brings some stuff on himself with shit he does.

He is not going to lose his job over one season- not should he. But he better rebound next year or there will be a shit storm- it's one thing to have 2 bad seasons cleaning up Polk's mess- it's another to fall apart after the best season in school history when recruiting should be on the upswing. Plus the new ballpark ups the stakes. It is what it is

msstate7
04-29-2015, 03:39 PM
Todd,

I never thought Cohen would be fired. Once I blow off some steam, I'm sure I'll be 100% behind him again.

Bout the training program... This is just as much on the seniors as it is on Cohen imo. I really can't stand this senior group. I don't know if Rea is a good leader or not, but I don't think he leads by example. Rea has been in terrible shape from the day he walked on campus till now. I know it's a different sport, but look at Rea vs Gavin ware. Ware has shown discipline to get his self in shape and Rea hasn't. While it is different sports, you can't tell me rea's game wouldn't benefit from toning up.

And please Lord get rid of that garbage in the dugout. Garbage like that doesn't teach the young guys to play with intensity imo. If you have great leaders like in '13, its different. '13 earned that right though. This team hasn't earned a dang thing.

sandwolf
04-29-2015, 05:54 PM

One of the better posts I've seen on here in a while. There has been some really, really stupid posts on this board lately.

War Machine Dawg
04-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Cohen is "the man after THE MAN" so he is never going to be liked by a certain faction no matter what he does. That's why you see some of the posts you do. Cohen then brings some stuff on himself with shit he does.

He is not going to lose his job over one season- not should he. But he better rebound next year or there will be a shit storm- it's one thing to have 2 bad seasons cleaning up Polk's mess- it's another to fall apart after the best season in school history when recruiting should be on the upswing. Plus the new ballpark ups the stakes. It is what it is

This sums up my level of pissed off perfectly. Losing and cleaning up the shitburger Polk left behind was acceptable. We all knew it had to happen and it would suck. But then you put two teams on the field who have no nuts immediately after finishing second in the nation. And the second team won't even make Hoover outside of a miracle. What's worse, we expect to host regionals at MSU. I'd be willing to concede we improve enough to make the NCAAT next season, but we damn sure won't host. That will be 1/6 for Cohen. I don't see how it's acceptable to any State baseball fan we aren't hosting at a 2/5 clip. And I understand the selection criteria is different now, which is why I think 2/5 is a reasonable expectation. Basically, I'm in "show me" mode when it comes to Cohen.