PDA

View Full Version : Playing Baylor??

bluelightstar
04-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Art Briles apparently said Baylor is playing MSU in '20, '21. Wonder if he got us confused with Ole Miss -- I think we already have a P5 foe for those years.

http://247sports.com/Bolt/SEC-opponent-on-horizon-for-Baylor-Football--37006267

Art Briles might have let the cat out of the bag.

Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw recently alluded to an upgrade in the schedule for Baylor football in the future in a recent interview, but he did not release any specific information.

However, Briles gave an interview with Fox Sports' Bruce Feldman this week and inevitably, the topic of scheduling came up towards the end of the interview. Briles mentioned the upcoming home and home series with Duke, but then also threw out Mississippi State as a team that will be on the future schedule.

“We’re playing Duke in ’16 or ’17 or something, they are a Power-5. ” Briles said. “You know, we’re playing, I think Mississippi State up in ’20, ’21. But you gotta understand, these schedules are made in 2008, 2009; we’re making schedules that we are playing now.”

Briles didn't provide details, but it would be safe to assume that this will be a home-and-home series.

This should appease some that have been critical of Baylor's scheduling philosophy (within Baylor's own fanbase and nationally). It is good to see Baylor making efforts to improve the quality of their non-conference opponents. The interview is linked below.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-28-2015, 02:47 PM
Stricklin said it was news to him.

Dawgface
04-28-2015, 02:50 PM
Hope not.

BulldogBear
04-28-2015, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't mind playing them sometime but not with a P5 already on the schedule.

My hope, however slight the chance, is that we might but would be here only. They never did come back to Starkville after we played them there in '95 (We won 30-21). I don't remember why they backed out.

They owe us a game dagummit!!!!!!

bluelightstar
04-28-2015, 05:43 PM
Stricklin said it was news to him.

Funny -- Baylor's AD says they are in talks.

RT @max_olson Baylor is talking w/ Mississippi State about noncon series, [Baylor AD Brian] McCaw says. Even if that's 5+ year away, it's at least a start.

BiscuitEater
04-28-2015, 05:53 PM
Funny -- Baylor's AD says they are in talks.

RT @max_olson Baylor is talking w/ Mississippi State about noncon series, [Baylor AD Brian] McCaw says. Even if that's 5+ year away, it's at least a start.

any more than y'all. Do think that Baylor still owes us a 'game' in Starkville after they cancelled return trip after we visited them and won in '95.

That was crappy move and any future deal should be two here for one there.

Dawgcentral
04-28-2015, 06:06 PM
any more than y'all. Do think that Baylor still owes us a 'game' in Starkville after they cancelled return trip after we visited them and won in '95.

That was crappy move and any future deal should be two here for one there.

Seems like I remember we had a really low buy out for that game and they canceled. We had to quick fix the schedule with a much lesser opponent.

BulldogBear
04-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Baylor and Utah just scheduled for 2023-24. Briles's mistake because it's easy to confuse Utah and Mississippi State****

Bothrops
04-29-2015, 07:28 PM
No telling how either program will look in 6-8 years.

BulldogBear
04-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Another thought I had is this.... I wonder if what he's talking about may instead a possible opening weekend matchup at a neutral site. There are always 2-3 SEC schools in those KO games. Interestingly enough, in 2020, there are only 4 SEC schools that do not already have a P5 OOC game scheduled: Ole Miss, Alabama, Arkansas, and Tennessee. In 2021, there is only Alabama. Everyone else already has a P5 scheduled and they ARE NOT KO games. They are on campus H-H type series. With 2-3 SEC schools playing these KO games, some doubling down on the schedule will have to be done to make it happen similar to how UGA, FLA, KY, or SC play a P5, they've already got a rivalry going. Therefore in order to play another they have to play two P5s. What I'm saying is that there are fewer and fewer obvious KO game SEC schools because the pansy OOC schedules are kind of going away. So, they could be looking at anybody for those years. I'd rather play them H-H, or really 2 in Starkpatch and 1 over in TX since they screwed us. But, that's really on us for negotiating a weak buyout and letting them get the home game first. They probably won't be dumb enough to allow us to do the same to them!!!

Political Hack
04-30-2015, 07:31 AM
Remember when kick off games mattered? That was cool.

Now you can lose at home to a 6-6 ACC school and still get in the playoffs. Under the current structure, we'd be fine playing those type games IMO as long as it's not damaging our chances at a bowl game. We could handle that type of game this year, but in 2016 we need some patsies to get rolling. We're going to lose A LOT of really good players after this season.