PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Dandy Dozen & NFL (long)

justwin
04-27-2015, 09:13 PM
Rewinding to the 2010 Dandy dozen:

Brassell - signed with OM. kicked off team
Singleton - signed with OM. kicked off team
Whitehead - signed with Auburn. Kicked off team
Moncrief - signed with OM. already in nfl
Aaron Morris - signed with OM. no impact
Prewitt - signed with OM. will get drafted
Golson - signed with OM. will get drafted
Dee Arrington - signed with MSU. no impact
Faciane - signed with Bama. no impact
Mayers - signed with OM. never made it to campus
Zach Jackson - signed with MSU. will start this year
CJ Johnson - signed with OM. will start this year

Other Mississippi kids that year:
Jalen Collins from Olive branch, LSU, will be a high draft pick
B-Mac - MSU, will be a high draft pick
Joe Morrow - MSU, will start this year
PJ Jones, MSU. multiple year starter
Maiden, Daniel Knox & Redmond, MSU. no impact
Maikhail Miller, OM. no impact
Rufus Warren, MSU. role player
Justin Bell, OM. multiple year starter
Justin Cox, MSU. kicked off team. will be high draft pick
Justin Malone, MSU. multiple year starter and will start this year. will get drafted
Kendrick Market, MSU. multiple year player. injured.
Taveze Calhoun, MSU. multiple year started. could get drafted.

I read on espn where Jalen Collins could go 1st round. Got me thinking about the others from MS that year.

I count 8 that will have NFL careers: Cox, Malone, Calhoun, B-Mac, Collins, Moncrief, Golson, Prewitt. MSU with 3, LSU with 1, OM with 3.

some perspective several years later....

What's really staggering is MSU's 2011 signing class (Mullen's 3rd) could have as many as 8 NFL players while OM's 2011 class may only have 3.

8 for MSU - B-Mac, Calhoun, Dak, Malone, J-Rob, Preston Smith, Slay, Cox. 9 if you count Cherrington.
3 for OM - Prewitt, Golson, Moncrief

Now, compare Mullen's 3rd class with 8 NFL players to Freeze's 2nd class (his best) and Freeze only will get 5 of those guys to the NFL - Nkem, Big Softie, Paidwell, Connor, Engram. To me, this really puts "recruiting" into perspective.

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Dee Arrington would have been a good player but had a career ending injury.

Todd4State
04-27-2015, 09:19 PM
There is no question that we do a better job of identifying and developing talent. And I have to wonder how many of Ole Miss's busts would have been had they come to MSU and received that development and discipline.

Billy Ray Valentine
04-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Not sure if I'd have Redmond in the "no impact" category.

RoverDog
04-27-2015, 09:47 PM
I think he is referring to OL Nick Redmon(d)?

Ralph
04-27-2015, 10:02 PM
Is Justin Cox really projected as a high draft pick?

Dallas_Dawg
04-27-2015, 10:11 PM
Zach Jackson is from Lousiana, right?

MedDawg
04-27-2015, 10:25 PM

Justin Malone, MSU. multiple year starter and will start this year. will get drafted

I read on espn where Jalen Collins could go 1st round. Got me thinking about the others from MS that year.

I count 8 that will have NFL careers: Cox, Malone, Calhoun, B-Mac, Collins, Moncrief, Golson, Prewitt. MSU with 3, LSU with 1, OM with 3.

What's really staggering is MSU's 2011 signing class (Mullen's 3rd) could have as many as 8 NFL players while OM's 2011 class may only have 3.

8 for MSU - B-Mac, Calhoun, Dak, Malone, J-Rob, Preston Smith, Slay, Cox. 9 if you count Cherrington.

Now, compare Mullen's 3rd class with 8 NFL players to Freeze's 2nd class (his best) and Freeze only will get 5 of those guys to the NFL - Nkem, Big Softie, Paidwell, Connor, Engram. To me, this really puts "recruiting" into perspective.

Whitehead finished the 2nd half of 2014 with Auburn and may be drafted. Played well in their bowl game.

Still, very good rundown.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-27-2015, 10:59 PM
Zach Jackson is from Lousiana, right?

He's from Heidleburg.

War Machine Dawg
04-27-2015, 11:01 PM
There is no question that we do a better job of identifying and developing talent. And I have to wonder how many of Ole Miss's busts would have been had they come to MSU and received that development and discipline.

I think Snoop Brassell for sure would've been a high NFL pick. In his limited time at TSUN, he showed he was well on his way to being a major impact player. Unfortunately, he couldn't/wouldn't leave his Batesville posse behind and refused to attend class.

justwin
04-28-2015, 10:02 AM
Dee Arrington would have been a good player but had a career ending injury.

yeah, he had the look of a good outside LB/Safety type. what was his injury? lower back?

justwin
04-28-2015, 10:07 AM

good thought. If I had to say between Morris, Brassell, and Singleton, I think Morris would've benefitted most from coming to MSU. He had the size, but his career at OM is defined as being grossly overweight, soft, undeveloped, etc. Seeing the kind of players that Beckwith, Clausell, Day, Malone have become under Hevesy, no question that Morris would be getting ready for the NFL draft had he become a bulldog. Plus, there was room for playing time had he come to MSU.

As for the other two, I think both were extremely overrated. Singleton was fast, but no ball skills or football IQ. Brassell got a lot more hype b/c of where he went to HS, but both were on the smallish side. Brassell may have had a shot at DB, but I'm not sure he would've played over the corners we have had those years...Slay, Banks, Redmond, Calhoun, etc.

justwin
04-28-2015, 10:08 AM
I think he is referring to OL Nick Redmon(d)?

you got it

justwin
04-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Is Justin Cox really projected as a high draft pick?

no kidding. I saw this on the espn ticker and quickly looked up on espn.com b/c I never considered it. Sure enough, he's projected to get drafted. He ran a few 4.3s at the combine which is what helped. It's becoming very clear that the NFL doesn't care about character, they care about talent and SPEED. quickly did a little searching and multiple analysts have him in the 1-3 round range based on SPEED alone. All point out the deficiencies we notice....lack of big plays in 2 years, off the field issues, etc. I kind of think that him becoming MIA since the Auburn game contributed to our few losses last year.

Either way, good for him. Hope he gets paid and improves his life with this opportunity.

justwin
04-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Whitehead finished the 2nd half of 2014 with Auburn and may be drafted. Played well in their bowl game.

Still, very good rundown.

ahh, didn't know that he came back. I just remember looking him up before we demolished Auburn and said he was suspended for yelling at a coach or fighting with a coach or something pretty severe related to disorderly conduct to a coach. If I'm an NFL GM, I look at that kind of "strike" more critically than I do a guy smoking weed, etc. At a minimum, you want a guy that enjoys football and takes instruction regardless of what he does off the field. I do remember him being a valedictorian in HS which was shocking, but I got to think the culture that Auburn promotes contributed to that. At least, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus, I know Bumphis ate his lunch when Tyler beat them a few years ago.

justwin
04-28-2015, 10:27 AM
I think Snoop Brassell for sure would've been a high NFL pick. In his limited time at TSUN, he showed he was well on his way to being a major impact player. Unfortunately, he couldn't/wouldn't leave his Batesville posse behind and refused to attend class.

I don't.

I had heard so much about him (and everyone else I'm sure) and then when I saw him play vs legit talent, he looked verrrry SEC average, at best. Seemed really small, but that's due to him not finding a weight room much less a classroom, smoking weed, etc. I think he got the benefit of playing for a HS that won a bunch and just outmanned every other HS team they played. To me, after watching he and Jamoral Graham play as true freshman, I don't see a difference other than Graham didn't go to South Panola and come in with the hype. Both have same shiftiness and similar ball skills forcing them to be a DB. Also, all of the stats Brassell got his freshman year were in blowouts or garbage time. I do remember he got hawked down by 10 yards from a KY LB on a sure fire long td run which is no excuse. Then, later same game was toasted on multiple occasions as a DB.

But yeah, keeping it real in hometown didn't help his cause.

Had he come to MSU and worked his tail off, I think he could've gotten some time at nickel and helped get an invite to the combine, maybe.

Ralph
04-28-2015, 10:42 AM
no kidding. I saw this on the espn ticker and quickly looked up on espn.com b/c I never considered it. Sure enough, he's projected to get drafted. He ran a few 4.3s at the combine which is what helped. It's becoming very clear that the NFL doesn't care about character, they care about talent and SPEED. quickly did a little searching and multiple analysts have him in the 1-3 round range based on SPEED alone. All point out the deficiencies we notice....lack of big plays in 2 years, off the field issues, etc. I kind of think that him becoming MIA since the Auburn game contributed to our few losses last year.

Either way, good for him. Hope he gets paid and improves his life with this opportunity.

i was most excited about him in that recruiting class, but he has never lived up to my expectations and prob not the coaches either.

With his speed maybe that'll earn him a ST role or something bc I'm doubtful he has the talent to play nfl secondary.

Tripp McNeely
04-28-2015, 11:48 AM

Rufus Warren might end up starting this year

Johnson85
04-28-2015, 12:10 PM
I don't.

I had heard so much about him (and everyone else I'm sure) and then when I saw him play vs legit talent, he looked verrrry SEC average, at best. Seemed really small, but that's due to him not finding a weight room much less a classroom, smoking weed, etc. I think he got the benefit of playing for a HS that won a bunch and just outmanned every other HS team they played. To me, after watching he and Jamoral Graham play as true freshman, I don't see a difference other than Graham didn't go to South Panola and come in with the hype. Both have same shiftiness and similar ball skills forcing them to be a DB. Also, all of the stats Brassell got his freshman year were in blowouts or garbage time. I do remember he got hawked down by 10 yards from a KY LB on a sure fire long td run which is no excuse. Then, later same game was toasted on multiple occasions as a DB.

But yeah, keeping it real in hometown didn't help his cause.

Had he come to MSU and worked his tail off, I think he could've gotten some time at nickel and helped get an invite to the combine, maybe.

Brassel was good. I'm not sure it would have made a difference where he went because I doubt he would have ever had the work ethic to capitalize on his natural gifts, but he was plenty good enough as a true freshman to think he would be an NFL player.

Singleton was badly overrated though. I don't think it would have mattered where he went either, just because he was ultimately an undersized guy with good straightline speed but no other real strengths.

Todd4State
04-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Personally, I think Morris, Singleton, Brassell, Whitehead, and CJ would have all been better off at MSU.

Morris would have been developed better by Hevesey and our S&C staff.

Singleton to me was not undersized- he was taller than Bumphis and Jameon. He would have been perfect at slot WR for us. And again, I think our staff would have been able to teach him what to do. It didn't help that Nutt's offense didn't really use slot WR's. He also would have been a candidate to return kicks for us.

Brassell is basically very similar to Singleton to me even though if you are rating the two, he is the better of the two. He would have been perfect for us in the slot and potentially would be a CB as well. He's listed as a DB in the CFL FWIW. And he also would have helped out on KR. Like Singleton, I think he didn't benefit from going to a school where they didn't use slot WR's or ATH like Dan does.

Whitehead is better than Deontay Evans and he is a decent player. I think he may have benefitted from having Tony Hughes the entire time.

CJ Johnson has NFL talent, but by going to Ole Miss he has been moved around out of position and he has been under-developed from a physical standpoint. He's had a decent career but hasn't matched the hype.

justwin
04-28-2015, 03:10 PM
Personally, I think Morris, Singleton, Brassell, Whitehead, and CJ would have all been better off at MSU.

Morris would have been developed better by Hevesey and our S&C staff.

Singleton to me was not undersized- he was taller than Bumphis and Jameon. He would have been perfect at slot WR for us. And again, I think our staff would have been able to teach him what to do. It didn't help that Nutt's offense didn't really use slot WR's. He also would have been a candidate to return kicks for us.

Brassell is basically very similar to Singleton to me even though if you are rating the two, he is the better of the two. He would have been perfect for us in the slot and potentially would be a CB as well. He's listed as a DB in the CFL FWIW. And he also would have helped out on KR. Like Singleton, I think he didn't benefit from going to a school where they didn't use slot WR's or ATH like Dan does.

Whitehead is better than Deontay Evans and he is a decent player. I think he may have benefitted from having Tony Hughes the entire time.

CJ Johnson has NFL talent, but by going to Ole Miss he has been moved around out of position and he has been under-developed from a physical standpoint. He's had a decent career but hasn't matched the hype.

several good points.

What's really remarkable and what you never hear from Tom Lugenbill is that if you're highly rated you almost have a diminishing chance of going pro if you go to OM. OM almost never has an underrated guy go pro & almost always has higher rated guys not live up their potential both collegiately and professionally.

I still find it hilarious that CJ Johnson decided on OM b/c they had no LBs and offered immediate PT, but he wasn't good enough to crack that LB rotation. How in the hell does that happen? I wonder if he and Diaz will chat after the Egg Bowl this year....

justwin
04-28-2015, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=Johnson85;364453]Brassel was good. I'm not sure it would have made a difference where he went because I doubt he would have ever had the work ethic to capitalize on his natural gifts, but he was plenty good enough as a true freshman to think he would be an NFL player.

QUOTE]

that's the thing. I just think you could say that about so many other SEC players.

It just seemed to me that so many people would say "NFL" in related to Brassell in HS b/c it's an easy thing to say so it stuck and mushroomed, his HS team won a lot, etc. Virtually, every SEC skill player runs as fast or faster than him. He lacked enough ball skills to be a WR just like Jamoral. Those two are about the same kind of punt returner, but Brassell got a ton more opportunities on a 3 win team. So, now he becomes a DB who got picked on a ton just like Jamoral did in this year's spring game. Sure, he made some plays but he had a bunch of opportunities too. So, then you're an NFL GM and why would you take a dime a dozen CB who doesn't nothing right off the field?

Anyway, I'm probably in the minority about this and not trying to be argumentative, but I just never saw the hype.

Out of curiousity, does anyone think that Taveze Calhoun will be an NFL player?

War Machine Dawg
04-28-2015, 10:49 PM
[QUOTE=Johnson85;364453]Brassel was good. I'm not sure it would have made a difference where he went because I doubt he would have ever had the work ethic to capitalize on his natural gifts, but he was plenty good enough as a true freshman to think he would be an NFL player.

QUOTE]

that's the thing. I just think you could say that about so many other SEC players.

It just seemed to me that so many people would say "NFL" in related to Brassell in HS b/c it's an easy thing to say so it stuck and mushroomed, his HS team won a lot, etc. Virtually, every SEC skill player runs as fast or faster than him. He lacked enough ball skills to be a WR just like Jamoral. Those two are about the same kind of punt returner, but Brassell got a ton more opportunities on a 3 win team. So, now he becomes a DB who got picked on a ton just like Jamoral did in this year's spring game. Sure, he made some plays but he had a bunch of opportunities too. So, then you're an NFL GM and why would you take a dime a dozen CB who doesn't nothing right off the field?

Anyway, I'm probably in the minority about this and not trying to be argumentative, but I just never saw the hype.

Out of curiousity, does anyone think that Taveze Calhoun will be an NFL player?

Absolutely. Big, physical CBs with good ball skills and who have excelled in college will always get a shot. Redmond may have more upside, but Calhoun is no slouch. We basically have another Smoot/Bean and Banks/Slay situation with Redmond/Calhoun.