PDA

View Full Version : Another 2015-2016 basketball post...

smootness
04-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Ok, so we got Newman. I'm still going on the assumption that we get Kasongo. I'm not asking who you think won't be here if we do get him because I don't want the speculation. I want to know what kind of rotation you guys think we'll have. Who plays? Who mostly doesn't? And do you think we'll have set rotations with different lineups, or more random subbing?

Most teams play a core rotation of 8-9 guys, and I'm having trouble leaving a couple guys out of that primary rotation. But here's my best guess:

I think we will see two different lineups (for the most part, obviously it won't be clean all the time and Newman will have to sit some). Here's my guess as to what they are:

Newman
Sword
Thomas
Zuppardo
Ware

as our initial rotation...then:

Ready
Newman
Houston
Black
Kasongo

to spell the initial rotation. Again, obviously it wouldn't be set in stone because both Sword and Ware will play more. But the top lineup is very good in perimeter defense while spreading the floor for Newman and Sword to attack on offense. And it gives both Thomas as a guy to kick it out to. The second lineup allows Newman to play more as a wing and find space for himself to shoot. It also has very good inside defense and can get out and really push the tempo.

The reason I don't have Kasongo with Ware much is because Howland said he wants to spread the floor around Ware for Newman and Sword, and Zuppardo helps do that more than Kasongo. Also, Kasongo and Black are a pretty intense combo down low.

The tough thing with this is that it doesn't leave much time for Daniels and Weatherspoon. Perhaps Daniels plays some in that initial rotation? And Weatherspoon spells Newman, gets 8-10 mins a game that way?

Thoughts?

state66
04-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Kasongo doesn't look like he has much of a mid range game and is just an in your face slam dunk kind of guy. He's 6'10 and Gavin Ware is 6'9 and has an above average mid range game. Why cant we move move Kasongo to the 5 and put gavin at the 4? That doesn't leave much for the bench but we can be flexible here and substitute them out one at a time and one of them move down to the 5 and vice versa.

Starting 5:
Newman
Sword
Houston
Ware
Kasongo

Second Team
Ready
dunlap
Thomas/weatherspoon/daniels
zuppardo/ daniels/ black
black

msstate7
04-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Kasongo doesn't look like he has much of a mid range game and is just an in your face slam dunk kind of guy. He's 6'10 and Gavin Ware is 6'9 and has an above average mid range game. Why cant we move move Kasongo to the 5 and put gavin at the 4? That doesn't leave much for the bench but we can be flexible here and substitute them out one at a time and one of them move down to the 5 and vice versa.

Starting 5:
Newman
Sword
Houston
Ware
Kasongo

Second Team
Ready
dunlap
zuppardo/ daniels/ black
black

Howland predicates his team on playing defense. I don't think ware can defend 4s

state66
04-27-2015, 11:25 AM
He also wants to run a faster offense with emphasis on transition basketball so ware at the 4 and kasongo at the 5 would slow that down but its a thought.

BeardoMSU
04-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Why cant we move move Kasongo to the 5 and put gavin at the 4?

I don't think you want to see Gavin trying to chase stretch-4's off screens....he'll get lit-up.

Then again, his post defense isn't very good either.

smootness
04-27-2015, 11:30 AM

Starting 5:
Newman
Sword
Houston
Ware
Kasongo

Second Team
Ready
dunlap
zuppardo/ daniels/ black
black

I'm going on Howland's words, which is that he wants to spread the floor around Ware. Kasongo doesn't really help in doing that. Ware isn't athletic enough to play a 4.

And your lineups don't make that much sense. First, we won't play that many guys decent minutes. Ready and Dunlap would give us a tiny backcourt without much defense. And I don't know what you would do with it on offense. Dunlap, Thomas (or Weatherspoon), and Zuppardo would all be standing around the 3-point line without much dribble penetration.

It's easy to just throw Houston and Kasongo into the main rotation, but Howland seems to believe Thomas has untapped potential, and I think he and Zuppardo make more sense with the other guys on the floor. Ware and Kasongo would clog up the lane more, and Houston isn't a shooter.

BeardoMSU
04-27-2015, 11:31 AM
He also wants to run a faster offense with emphasis on transition basketball so ware at the 4 and kasongo at the 5 would slow that down but its a thought.

Yeah, I foresee us playing 3 guards, a stretch-4/wing guy, and 1 "prototypical" big playing the 5. Speed and athleticism will be our trademark; both of which should help with scoring and playing suffocating D. Hopefully the rotation at the 5 will be a good 1-2 punch; Ware is probably more gifted offensively, and Kasongo can be that rim protector we need when Gavin's out.

justwin
04-27-2015, 12:15 PM
As far as playing Ware & Kasongo together, will likely come down to matchups vs other teams that have lumbering 4s and 5s. I think we could see this some, and I would actually like to see if it could work.

We have basically stuck Ware down low all by himself these last couple yrs w/no help, and it hasn't been very productive b/c we didn't have anyone that could space or dish down to him, consistently. And, other teams just camped their bigs down low double teaming Ware, or would immediate trap down making him dish back out or turnover. Maybe, planting Kasongo at the 5 alongside would make other teams honest and give Ware more one-on-one matchups. I think Ware can hit that mid-range if called upon; he showed he could in a few games last yr. Ware has also shown that he is willing to put in the work to improve, and get better.

But, as far as last yr's roster, I think the only guys that are sure at PT are Sword, Ware & Ready. Everyone else, in my opinion, is open for competition. Why not assume that Weatherspoon can come in & play the 2 or even the 3 more effectively than Thomas or Daniels.

Lineup that I would like to see:

Malik
Sword
Spoon
Ware
Kasongo

This lineup gives you three guys that can create their own shots, space, and dribble-drive. This also allows the option to run high-low, pick & roll with Ware & Kasongo.

2nd line:
Ready
Thomas
Daniels
Zuppardo/Houston
Black/Kasongo/Ndoye

yjnkdawg
04-27-2015, 12:18 PM
Ok, so we got Newman. I'm still going on the assumption that we get Kasongo. I'm not asking who you think won't be here if we do get him because I don't want the speculation. I want to know what kind of rotation you guys think we'll have. Who plays? Who mostly doesn't? And do you think we'll have set rotations with different lineups, or more random subbing?

Most teams play a core rotation of 8-9 guys, and I'm having trouble leaving a couple guys out of that primary rotation. But here's my best guess:

I think we will see two different lineups (for the most part, obviously it won't be clean all the time and Newman will have to sit some). Here's my guess as to what they are:

Newman
Sword
Thomas
Zuppardo
Ware

Ready
Newman
Houston
Black
Kasongo

to spell the initial rotation. Again, obviously it wouldn't be set in stone because both Sword and Ware will play more. But the top lineup is very good in perimeter defense while spreading the floor for Newman and Sword to attack on offense. And it gives both Thomas as a guy to kick it out to. The second lineup allows Newman to play more as a wing and find space for himself to shoot. It also has very good inside defense and can get out and really push the tempo.

The reason I don't have Kasongo with Ware much is because Howland said he wants to spread the floor around Ware for Newman and Sword, and Zuppardo helps do that more than Kasongo. Also, Kasongo and Black are a pretty intense combo down low.

The tough thing with this is that it doesn't leave much time for Daniels and Weatherspoon. Perhaps Daniels plays some in that initial rotation? And Weatherspoon spells Newman, gets 8-10 mins a game that way?

Thoughts?

Seems like Howland really like Daniels, so if all goes well with his progress, then it could be Daniels with Malik, Sword, Thomas and Ware as the starting five.

smootness
04-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Seems like Howland really like Daniels, so if all goes well with his progress, then it could be Daniels with Malik, Sword, Thomas and Ware as the starting five.

Yeah, I could see that. Personally, I think Zuppardo is a better fit with those guys, but Daniels also works.

I just like the idea of having two attacking scorers with a spot-up shooter and a stretch 4 with Ware. The reason teams could double-team him is not because of a lack of other post options; it was just the lack of other options, period.

Good luck double-teaming Ware with both Newman and Sword on the court.

yjnkdawg
04-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Yeah, I could see that. Personally, I think Zuppardo is a better fit with those guys, but Daniels also works.

I just like the idea of having two attacking scorers with a spot-up shooter and a stretch 4 with Ware. The reason teams could double-team him is not because of a lack of other post options; it was just the lack of other options, period.

Good luck double-teaming Ware with both Newman and Sword on the court.

I agree. Ware had no chance this past year, with our offensive (or lack of) baskeball philosophy. It was just a frustrating situation. Some have said that with Howland as the coach, if Daniels and Thomas both buy into his program (which it appears they have), that we will see two different players, than what we saw this past season. Add the other pieces (especially Malik) of the puzzle and things look great for MSU basketball.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-27-2015, 12:46 PM
I think it goes

Newman
Sword
Thomas
Daniels
Ware

Then off the bench Ready Weatherspoon Houston Kasongo as the main guys with Zuppardo & Black as needed on the post & Dunlap if you need a zone buster.

yjnkdawg
04-27-2015, 12:48 PM
I think it goes

Newman
Sword
Thomas
Daniels
Ware

Then off the bench Ready Weatherspoon Houston Kasongo as the main guys with Zuppardo & Black as needed on the post & Dunlap if you need a zone buster.

I agree, Coach.

RiverCityDawg
04-27-2015, 12:50 PM
I think Daniels either buys in and starts or plays a lot, or he doesn't play at all. If he develops on the defensive end and plays with consistent effort on offense, it seems he will fit into what howland wants to do at the 4. At that point he, Zuppardo and Black will be competing for minutes at the 4 depending on the matchup, with ware and kasongo at the 5.

I see the "crunch time" lineup at the end of games as being Ready, Newman, sword, zuppardo and ware, with defensive substitutions of Thomas, black & kasongo as needed.

msstate7
04-27-2015, 01:01 PM
One thing I like about howland following ray is that ray has already gotten our guys to buy into playing defense.

maroonmania
04-27-2015, 01:06 PM
One thing I like about howland following ray is that ray has already gotten our guys to buy into playing defense.

True, but following Ray also means you are starting from scratch on offense.

HSVDawg
04-27-2015, 01:11 PM
I may be in the minority but my personal preference is for Newman to play at the 2 with Sword at the point when they are both in the game. This has less to do with Malik's ability to play PG and more to do with Sword's shooting ability (or lack thereof). Sword just isn't a good enough outside shooter to play the two on a regular basis, but Newman is. Neither Sword nor Newman is a true PG, but both can play the position quite well I think. Another option would be to move Ready to the 2 and Sword to the 3 with Newman at PG.

thf24
04-27-2015, 01:15 PM
I may be in the minority but my personal preference is for Newman to play at the 2 with Sword at the point when they are both in the game. This has less to do with Malik's ability to play PG and more to do with Sword's shooting ability (or lack thereof). Sword just isn't a good enough outside shooter to play the two on a regular basis, but Newman is. Neither Sword nor Newman is a true PG, but both can play the position quite well I think. Another option would be to move Ready to the 2 and Sword to the 3 with Newman at PG.

Sword shot 35% from 3 on the season this past year and close to 40% in conference play. He's developed into a more than viable shooter for a 2 in the SEC. Malik will play the point and Sword the 2 when they're both in the game, no doubt about it.

smootness
04-27-2015, 01:17 PM
Sword hit 40% of his 3s down the stretch last year. I would be pleasantly surprised if Newman shoots that well from deep.

Neither is an elite shooter, but both can create off the dribble. That's also why I like the idea of both Thomas and Zuppardo in with them. Your '2' doesn't have to be a big-time shooter, you just need some on the court.

Newman will be our best option at the point, and we will want the ball in his hands, so he should play the point. People get too caught up on specific positions.

Johnson85
04-27-2015, 01:18 PM

Newman
Sword
Thomas
Zuppardo
Ware

Ready
Newman
Houston
Black
Kasongo

Thoughts?

I think we don't have a real logical cut line for determining who is in and who is out of the normal 8 (or 9) man rotation and it's harder to predict because most of our players can play two positions and Howland has shown he's adaptable.

Ready is pretty much always going to play the 1. Ware is pretty much always going to play the 5. Zuppardo will always be in as a stretch 4. I think pretty much everybody else will play two positions depending on whether we are playing big or small or just on where we need a body.

Newman, Sword, and Ware are going to play starters minutes for sure, with Newman playing at the 1 & 2 and Sword playing at the 2 and 3. Ready is going to play back-up point guard minutes. After that, I don't know who will get the minutes. Thomas is going to primarily play the 3 but could play the 2 (maybe a 4 in basically a four guard lineup if Howland uses that?). Houston and Daniel are going to play 3 and 4 I think. Zuppardo, as I said, will play the stretch 4, Kasongo and Black will fight for minutes at the 4 and 5.

If we primarily play big, we will have lots of minutes for Ware and two of Kasongo, Black, and Zuppardo, with the odd man out still getting minutes consistently but not necessarily a lot of them. That would leave Thomas, Houston, and Daniel fighting for very limited minutes. So the regular 8-man rotation will look like:

Newman
Sword
Ware
Ready

two of
Kasongo
Black
Zuppardo

And two of
Thomas
Houston
Daniels

If we play primarily small, you'll have plenty of minutes for Thomas, Houston, Daniels, and Zuppardo between the 3 and 4, but with the loser of Black and Kasongo getting only limited minutes in the post. So the regular 8-man rotation will look like

Newman
Sword
Ware
Ready

Three of
Thomas
Houston
Daniels
Zuppardo

And one of:
Kasongo
Black

I think we'll look like we have a 9 or 10 man rotation for much of the year regardless just because it will take that long for some of the players in that bottom half of the rotation to solidify their claim on minutes. Have no clue how Howland will play it if nobody really separates themselves. Could just go with somebody to establish a rotation, or could try to use everybody and go more uptempo.

And of course all this depends on nobody like Weatherspoon playing at a level that demands minutes.

msstate7
04-27-2015, 01:18 PM
True, but following Ray also means you are starting from scratch on offense.

May be a good thing. Teaching a blank canvas could be easier than re-teaching

Coach34
04-27-2015, 01:40 PM
1. Ware cannot guard a 4- he is too slow
2. Newman is coming here to play PG and work as a combo G
3. Depend on who we play may factor into who starts at the 4. Daniels when we can get away with a smaller team- Zupp against bigger teams. Both can stretch the D- but have to work hard to defend. I think Kasongo plays some 4 but primarily backs up Ware.
4. Houston and Thomas will do a great job for us at the 3.
5. I see us rotating 3 G's Mostly until Spoon gets more experience and comfortable. That way IJ will get enough mins per game

smootness
04-27-2015, 01:49 PM
Just for the record, Ware playing the '4' on offense doesn't mean he has to guard the other team's 4 on defense. He and Kasongo would simply switch on that end of the floor.

I still don't think it works because Ware is not a stretch 4, he's simply a post guy who also has a good midrange shot. Just saying.

confucius say
04-27-2015, 01:52 PM
If kasongo is a rim protector like I hear, we have a chance to be elite defensively with the perimeter length of Malik, sword, Thomas, and Houston. Those 4 have the skill set to be tremendous defensively.

smootness
04-27-2015, 01:55 PM
If kasongo is a rim protector like I hear, we have a chance to be elite defensively with the perimeter length of Malik, sword, Thomas, and Houston. Those 4 have the skill set to be tremendous defensively.

Agreed, and we could see that lineup some as well. That would be an incredibly athletic lineup that would fly up and down the court.

Political Hack
04-27-2015, 02:16 PM
Just for the record, Ware playing the '4' on offense doesn't mean he has to guard the other team's 4 on defense. He and Kasongo would simply switch on that end of the floor.

I still don't think it works because Ware is not a stretch 4, he's simply a post guy who also has a good midrange shot. Just saying.

agree with that. Ware would be a good 4 offensively. Zupp too, although I think he could play the 5 offensively too even if he ends up being undersized in some match ups. I think he's phenomenal with the ball in his hands in the low post. I hope he recovers ok because he could be a huge inside presence for us scoring, especially if they use Ware to stretch the floor and take their 4/5 out of the lane.

This is the first time in several years we have and inside/out scoring threat (Ware), a two handed inside scorer who can win matchups with his back to the basket or faced up (Zupp), one of the best slashing scorers in the SEC (Chicken), and legit shooter that can perch and plays excellent defense (FTF), and a dynamic player that create and score for himself or create opportunities for others (Malik).

We could be very, very good offensively IMO.

DistrictDawg92
04-27-2015, 02:17 PM
My thoughts:
-Man we are really gonna create some match up nightmares for opposing teams next year. we will be able to go big or small depending on the situation and/or the opposing team's lineup
-Colin Borchert would've torn it up as a stretch 4 in Howland's offense
-I expect to cut our turnover numbers in half next year. How nice will it be to have Ready come off the bench as the back up PG compared to Bloodman last year?
-People are really overlooking Weatherspoon. Basketball is not like football when it comes to freshman, you don't have to redshirt a freshman to get him stronger and learn the offense, if he can play, he can play. Weatherspoon is a 6-5 SG that can drive or pull up from behind the arch. He will be the 2nd highest rated recruit we have on our roster behind Malik next year, and basketball recruiting ratings are much more reliable than football. I see Weatherspoon getting 15-20 minutes a game.
-Having trouble picking the 8-9 contributors is a damn good thing. Our talent level and depth both became 2x better in just one year.
-Next season is gonna be damn fun in the Hump. Finally the entire fan base is on the same page.

smootness
04-27-2015, 02:33 PM
My thoughts:
-Man we are really gonna create some match up nightmares for opposing teams next year. we will be able to go big or small depending on the situation and/or the opposing team's lineup
-Colin Borchert would've torn it up as a stretch 4 in Howland's offense
-I expect to cut our turnover numbers in half next year. How nice will it be to have Ready come off the bench as the back up PG compared to Bloodman last year?
-People are really overlooking Weatherspoon. Basketball is not like football when it comes to freshman, you don't have to redshirt a freshman to get him stronger and learn the offense, if he can play, he can play. Weatherspoon is a 6-5 SG that can drive or pull up from behind the arch. He will be the 2nd highest rated recruit we have on our roster behind Malik next year, and basketball recruiting ratings are much more reliable than football. I see Weatherspoon getting 15-20 minutes a game.
-Having trouble picking the 8-9 contributors is a damn good thing. Our talent level and depth both became 2x better in just one year.
-Next season is gonna be damn fun in the Hump. Finally the entire fan base is on the same page.

I agree with most of this, but I don't think people are overlooking Weatherspoon. But it may be tough for him to find minutes in what will be a very senior-laden team. Yes, freshmen can have a big impact, but once you get out of the top 40 or so guys, you definitely find some that take time to get there.

Ravern Johnson was rated similarly, and he played very little early. Ware was rated similarly, and he had serious work to do and wasn't really ready.

If Weatherspoon plays, it will be on the wing. And I doubt he plays over Newman, Sword, or even Thomas next year. And Houston offers a different skillset than those guys, so he will probably play more as well.

I think Weatherspoon is a huge key for 2016 and beyond, but it may take some time for him to work his way into the rotation next year.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-27-2015, 02:40 PM
I agree with most of this, but I don't think people are overlooking Weatherspoon. But it may be tough for him to find minutes in what will be a very senior-laden team. Yes, freshmen can have a big impact, but once you get out of the top 40 or so guys, you definitely find some that take time to get there.

Ravern Johnson was rated similarly, and he played very little early. Ware was rated similarly, and he had serious work to do and wasn't really ready.

If Weatherspoon plays, it will be on the wing. And I doubt he plays over Newman, Sword, or even Thomas next year. And Houston offers a different skillset than those guys, so he will probably play more as well.

I think Weatherspoon is a huge key for 2016 and beyond, but it may take some time for him to work his way into the rotation next year.

We won't have to depend on Weatherspoon next season but I think by SEC play he will be comfortable & his talent will be where they can't keep him off the court. I'm not saying he's a 20min/game guy but he can provide a lot in the 12-15min/game he will play.

DistrictDawg92
04-27-2015, 02:43 PM

I see what your saying, but I don't like the Ravern-Weatherspoon comparison. Ravern was unmotivated and a bean pole, all he was good for was the 3-point shot. Weatherspoon has the ability to drive that Ravern never possessed. As for Ware, the post positions are the hardest to come in and play well as a freshman, mainly because you have to be strong and learn how to defend 6-10 SEC big men, something that big men in high school never saw. Weatherspoon will come in and be one of our top 5-7 most talented players on our roster immediately, and in college basketball it's very hard to keep talent off the court unless there are motivation or discipline issues.

smootness
04-27-2015, 02:55 PM
I guess my point is simply that most of our talent and experience next year will be on the wing. If you were listing out our best players for next year, Weatherspoon might be 5-7, but most of the guys ahead of him would be the guys he's competing with for playing time. That's what it comes down to for me.

When predicting a lineup, I can't put him ahead of Newman or Sword, and I also can't put him ahead of Thomas because of Thomas' defense combined with his ability to stretch the defense. And Houston is just a different player, so I have to put him in over Weatherspoon as well.

Johnson85
04-27-2015, 03:04 PM
I guess my point is simply that most of our talent and experience next year will be on the wing. If you were listing out our best players for next year, Weatherspoon might be 5-7, but most of the guys ahead of him would be the guys he's competing with for playing time. That's what it comes down to for me.

When predicting a lineup, I can't put him ahead of Newman or Sword, and I also can't put him ahead of Thomas because of Thomas' defense combined with his ability to stretch the defense. And Houston is just a different player, so I have to put him in over Weatherspoon as well.

I think you're probably right in that for Weatherspoon to get significant minutes, Thomas or Daniels will pretty much have to be discarded. You know Sword is going to take up the majority of minutes at the two. I could see us using Newman at the two some when Ready comes in, so that there are virtually zero minutes at the 2 available. Then you're looking at the 3 having Thomas, Daniels, and Houston competing for minutes. I guess if we really go small and play Houston and Daniels a decent amount at the 4, there would be some minutes at the 3 for Weatherspoon. But otherwise, there are too many players looking for minutes at the 3. I don't think you can split them up between 4 people and have the people be effective. So you pretty much have to put somebody out of the rotation completely for Weatherspoon to break into it.

Unless we commit to go very small for most of the time, or else run so up tempo that we play 10-11 people consistently, there's just not minutes there at the wing.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-27-2015, 03:06 PM
I think you're probably right in that for Weatherspoon to get significant minutes, Thomas or Daniels will pretty much have to be discarded. You know Sword is going to take up the majority of minutes at the two. I could see us using Newman at the two some when Ready comes in, so that there are virtually zero minutes at the 2 available. Then you're looking at the 3 having Thomas, Daniels, and Houston competing for minutes. I guess if we really go small and play Houston and Daniels a decent amount at the 4, there would be some minutes at the 3 for Weatherspoon. But otherwise, there are too many players looking for minutes at the 3. I don't think you can split them up between 4 people and have the people be effective. So you pretty much have to put somebody out of the rotation completely for Weatherspoon to break into it.

Unless we commit to go very small for most of the time, or else run so up tempo that we play 10-11 people consistently, there's just not minutes there at the wing.

Howland has said he sees Daniels as a 4.

DistrictDawg92
04-27-2015, 03:15 PM

This is true, but I see Fred and Houston playing pretty much exclusively the 3, with Zuppardo/Daniels playing the 4 and Ware/Kasongo playing the 5 when we need a more athletic lineup, and Black/Kasongo playing the 4 with Ware at the 5 when we need a bigger lineup. Either scenario leaves Malik at the point with IJ subbing, and Sword at the 2 which leaves Dunlap and Weatherspoon for subs with Malik maybe seeing a few minutes a game at the 2. I honestly don't see Dunlap playing the 2 at 5'11"/6'0" in Howland's offense. That leaves Weatherspoon as Sword's primary back up which should equate to around 15 minutes a game. Either way, we could create a second team with our back up's that would beat any of Ray's first teams atleast 75% of the time.

smootness
04-27-2015, 03:20 PM
This is true, but I see Fred and Houston playing pretty much exclusively the 3, with Zuppardo/Daniels playing the 4 and Ware/Kasongo playing the 5 when we need a more athletic lineup, and Black/Kasongo playing the 4 with Ware at the 5 when we need a bigger lineup. Either scenario leaves Malik at the point with IJ subbing, and Sword at the 2 which leaves Dunlap and Weatherspoon for subs with Malik maybe seeing a few minutes a game at the 2. I honestly don't see Dunlap playing the 2 at 5'11"/6'0" in Howland's offense. That leaves Weatherspoon as Sword's primary back up which should equate to around 15 minutes a game. Either way, we could create a second team with our back up's that would beat any of Ray's first teams atleast 75% of the time.

Maybe, but the subbing won't strictly be done that way. For example, Ready won't simply get the 8 or so minutes when Newman isn't on the floor. He'll be out there some with Newman. Sword will mostly play the 2, but Newman will some as well, and Thomas could even see some overlap there.

Johnson85
04-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Howland has said he sees Daniels as a 4.

Wasn't aware of that.

So I take that to mean that barring injuries, the minutes at:

the 1 will be filled almost completely by Newman and Ready,
the 2 will be filled primarily by Sword and Newman with some spot duty by Weatherspoon
the 3 will be filled primarily by Thomas and Houston, with some spot duty by Weatherspoon, Sword, and maybe Daniel
the 4 will be filled with Zuppardo, Daniel, and Kasongo, with Black maybe in spot duty
the 5 will be filled primarily by Ware with Kasongo backing him up and Black maybe in spot duty

That leaves Ndoye and Dunlap available when there are foul or injury issues.

That basically it, except that numbers will require that one of those players not be on scholarship?

Dawg61
04-27-2015, 04:22 PM

This is my gut feeling on our starting five.

PG Newman
SG Sword
SF Thomas
PF Daniels
C Ware

2nd unit

PG Ready
SG Spoon
SF Houston
PF Zuppardo
PF/C Kasongo

Black and Strugg get mixed into the 2nd unit if injury occurs. Dunlap and Ndoye I don't expect are with us. I'm purely guessing here though.

DistrictDawg92
04-27-2015, 04:37 PM
This is my gut feeling on our starting five.

PG Newman
SG Sword
SF Thomas
PF Daniels
C Ware

2nd unit

PG Ready
SG Spoon
SF Houston
PF Zuppardo
PF/C Kasongo

Black and Strugg get mixed into the 2nd unit if injury occurs. Dunlap and Ndoye I don't expect are with us. I'm purely guessing here though.

looks about right. It'll be nice to have 6 guys on the roster that are 6'8"+ in Daniels, Ware, Zuppardo, Kasongo, Black and Strugg(obviously not including Ndoye in this group because I believe his transfer will be announced not long after Kasongo signs). Add the big men to our talented group of guards in Newman, Sword, Weatherspoon and Ready plus our long athletic 3's in Thomas and Houston and you're looking at a balanced, deep and talented roster. With just the right mixture of veteran leadership, young talent and good coaching, we might make some serious noise in the SEC and beyond.

justwin
04-27-2015, 05:13 PM

It is going to come down to opposing matchups and not an every game deal, but I just wanna see if Ware & Kasongo can play the 4 and 5 together. Visions of that Bill Self high-low O running thru my head..

justwin
04-27-2015, 05:15 PM
agree with that. Ware would be a good 4 offensively. Zupp too, although I think he could play the 5 offensively too even if he ends up being undersized in some match ups. I think he's phenomenal with the ball in his hands in the low post. I hope he recovers ok because he could be a huge inside presence for us scoring, especially if they use Ware to stretch the floor and take their 4/5 out of the lane.

This is the first time in several years we have and inside/out scoring threat (Ware), a two handed inside scorer who can win matchups with his back to the basket or faced up (Zupp), one of the best slashing scorers in the SEC (Chicken), and legit shooter that can perch and plays excellent defense (FTF), and a dynamic player that create and score for himself or create opportunities for others (Malik).

We could be very, very good offensively IMO.

What's the skinny on Zuppardo? He's been injured? Anyone seem him play live? Is he basically a stretch 4?

Dawg61
04-27-2015, 05:20 PM
What's the skinny on Zuppardo? He's been injured? Anyone seem him play live? Is he basically a stretch 4?

He's like Adam Morrison but better**

DistrictDawg92
04-27-2015, 05:39 PM

Yes he was injured just before the beginning of the season last year, i wanna say it was his knee. He really could have helped us out last year, and him getting injured might possibly indirectly be the reason that Ray is out and Howland is in. At 6'9" he is very athletic and can hit every shot on the court, including the 3 ball. I guess he would be considered a stretch 4 but he can also go down low and use his body to create points down low and grab rebounds. During his final year at Jones County, he averaged 15.2 points/game and 6.9 rebounds/game while shooting 61.7% from the field and making 29 of 67 attempted 3's for an impressive 43.3%. He also shot 76% from the line. He will most definitely be a big asset to our team next year.

HSVDawg
04-27-2015, 07:48 PM
Honestly I did not realize that and stand corrected. I'll readily admit that I probably saw a grand total of 10 minutes of our basketball team playing for the last 12 or so games (for obvious reasons), so I wasn't aware of Sword's improvement from beyond the arc. Of course he's always been able to get to the hoop. I still think a 1 through 3 of Newman, Ready, Sword would be our most effective shooting lineup and would work well in extended stretches when we want to go small.

HSVDawg
04-27-2015, 07:52 PM
Sword hit 40% of his 3s down the stretch last year. I would be pleasantly surprised if Newman shoots that well from deep.

Neither is an elite shooter, but both can create off the dribble. That's also why I like the idea of both Thomas and Zuppardo in with them. Your '2' doesn't have to be a big-time shooter, you just need some on the court.

Newman will be our best option at the point, and we will want the ball in his hands, so he should play the point. People get too caught up on specific positions.

I agree with this in principle, but how is the #1 SG in the country not an elite shooter? Sure looked like it in his film.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-27-2015, 07:55 PM
I agree with this in principle, but how is the #1 SG in the country not an elite shooter? Sure looked like it in his film.

Stanley Johnson, Aaron Harrison, & Shabazz Muhammad are the last 3 #1 ranked SG none of them are elite shooters.

Dawg61
04-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Stanley Johnson, Aaron Harrison, & Shabazz Muhammad are the last 3 #1 ranked SG none of them are elite shooters.

Basketball is changing. SHOOTING guards are no longer great shooters. Let's call them "driving guards".

Brad Stevens
04-27-2015, 08:14 PM
I'm sticking to the lineup I've had, even though it was once unpopular.

1. Newman
2. Sword
3. Thomas
4. Daniels
5. Ware

This lets us use Thomas as the lock-down defender and spot up shooter he is made to be, and allows Daniels to stretch the floor, and create driving lanes for Newman and Sword, while also not crowding the lane and bringing double teams to Ware in the post.

Backups:
1. Ready
2. Weatherspoon
3. Houston
4. Black
5. Kasongo

According to a recent article and rumor, it doesn't sound like Zuppardo is quite as high in Howland's eyes as some of ours.