PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Renfroe...

Coach34
04-27-2015, 11:02 AM
I am still on the train that he wont be able to hit MLB pitching- so far in AA to start this year:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=renfro002dus

64 official AB's- 23 K's...3 BB's... .156 average, 2 doubles, 1 HR

Rough start this season.

Really Clark?
04-27-2015, 11:17 AM
Still too early really to make that call. He has had an adjustment before when he moved from low A to A. Then at high A really good numbers with power. Be very interested to see what he looks like by the end of the year.

shoeless joe
04-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Not that I disagree with you but a single 2-3 week stretch doesn't mean a whole lot. Although those K numbers are high I would expect him to adjust.

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2015, 11:21 AM
With his physical tools, if he can hit .250 he will be an everyday player for some team. You can't teach 450 ft homers and a cannon for an arm in RF.

smootness
04-27-2015, 11:23 AM
He's going to strikeout a lot, which will keep his BA down somewhat. But he'll pick it up. He destroyed the AFL. I think as a MLB player, his ceiling is something like .275/.340/.550.

My prediction is more like .260/.330/.510. Which is very good.

He definitely needs to walk a little more and bring down his Ks a bit.

Coach34
04-27-2015, 11:41 AM
He hit .230 in his AA stint last year

I agree this is obviously too short of a time frame to judge- but he just isn't going to hit well enough to stay in MLB.

Really Clark?
04-27-2015, 11:44 AM
To add, when you look at his AA numbers from last year as well, it is a concern. If he can't hit .250 at AA, it will be an issue. But his Arizona Fall numbers look good. Not comparing the two because there was little question that Trout would hit, but Renfroe had much better numbers than in that short season. 113 PA for a .284/.345/.569 with 6 hr and 9 doubles. Trout in 111 PA .245/.279/.321 with 1 HR and 5 doubles. So you don't always know when a player may struggle for 100 AB. One positive in a way, is with almost same number of PA in high A and AA,he has a lot of comparative numbers. Walks and K's were almost identical (not that he doesn't need to be much better in those regards) but some of the average and power drop is competition but also difference in leagues. But his strikeout rate didn't spike in total so he is still hitting the ball. If his season numbers continue though, were we do see a continued K rate increase with less contact then there are some issues. I think he really needs to be more advanced in his AB and he should see the numbers bounce back some.

Really Clark?
04-27-2015, 11:49 AM
He hit .230 in his AA stint last year

I agree this is obviously too short of a time frame to judge- but he just isn't going to hit well enough to stay in MLB.

Yes but like I said, his high A numbers (with a .295 average) are very similar to his AA numbers (with a .215 average) including this year and last. In total there has been no increase in K's so he is hitting the ball but his power numbers have dropped. Once he learns to have an advanced approach at the plate and also be a gap power hitter as well, you should see his average spike up.

Now if this season looks a lot like what he is doing right now and not the AFL, yeah it is a big issue.

smootness
04-27-2015, 12:00 PM
He has a pretty clear history of needing time to adjust to each level, then raking. He was raw out of HS and comparatively raw out of college, so that makes sense.

Struggled big-time in college his first two years, then dominated.
Struggled initially in pro ball, then dominated.
Started very slow last year in AA, then ended very well.
Struggled initially in the AFL, then raked.

To me, this is simply a cold spell. He ended up hitting AA well after a slow start last year, so I expect him to pick it up in a big way soon.

I'm fine with these threads as long as we can throw it in your face the second he's above .250.

Coach34
04-27-2015, 12:39 PM
Absolutely- he runs his average to .275 feel free to let me know about it

dawgs
04-27-2015, 03:45 PM
To add, when you look at his AA numbers from last year as well, it is a concern. If he can't hit .250 at AA, it will be an issue. But his Arizona Fall numbers look good. Not comparing the two because there was little question that Trout would hit, but Renfroe had much better numbers than in that short season. 113 PA for a .284/.345/.569 with 6 hr and 9 doubles. Trout in 111 PA .245/.279/.321 with 1 HR and 5 doubles. So you don't always know when a player may struggle for 100 AB. One positive in a way, is with almost same number of PA in high A and AA,he has a lot of comparative numbers. Walks and K's were almost identical (not that he doesn't need to be much better in those regards) but some of the average and power drop is competition but also difference in leagues. But his strikeout rate didn't spike in total so he is still hitting the ball. If his season numbers continue though, were we do see a continued K rate increase with less contact then there are some issues. I think he really needs to be more advanced in his AB and he should see the numbers bounce back some.

Yeah but trout was like 18/19 and renfroe was like 23/24. That's a huge difference.

Really Clark?
04-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Yeah but trout was like 18/19 and renfroe was like 23/24. That's a huge difference.

No kidding. I said it wasn't a true comparison I just used him to show that even elite hitters have stretches well below their norms. Especially in the minors. Trout was 19 and Renfroe 22. Renfroe was also still very raw at 19. How bout let's compare Colin Moran from the same draft. (Junior from College as well and picked higher). He has not flashed the power that Renfroe has and didn't hit in the AFL (.230 average). He is hitting better in AA but in high A they had similar average. Renfroe with more power though and more K's as well.

Dawg61
04-27-2015, 05:07 PM
I am still on the train that he wont be able to hit MLB pitching- so far in AA to start this year:

Rough start this season.

Renfroe is currently ranked the 47th best prospect in all of MLB.

Coach34
04-27-2015, 06:11 PM
Renfroe is currently ranked the 47th best prospect in all of MLB.

His arm, defense, work ethic- all outstanding. His ability to hit a FB on his hands or a good slider are not outstanding. To date- last year and this year-he is hitting .215 in AA ball. That's not good.

Dallas_Dawg
04-27-2015, 06:22 PM
C34 has been saying all along that Renfroe won't hit much above .200 at the big league level.
He is either going to be right or he's going to be wrong, but you ain't changing his mind. No matter what scouts say.
I also think that it's not really going out on a limb. Renfroe had the first half of his junior year where he was on fire but after that he cooled off even in spite of our CWS run. He hasn't strung together a full season of consistent high average hitting yet in his collegiate or professional careers. That's not to say he can't, but he hasn't yet.
How many Renfroes are drafted every year that never make it in MLB? We all want Hunter to make it big but pump the brakes*** on thinking that it is a given that he does.

Dawg61
04-27-2015, 06:46 PM
Slight thread hijack but looks like Holder has been turned into a starter.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=656547#/gamelogs/R/pitching/2015/MINORS

Homedawg
04-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Slight thread hijack but looks like Holder has been turned into a starter.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=656547#/gamelogs/R/pitching/2015/MINORS

It's temporary. Just logging him innings.

Really Clark?
04-27-2015, 07:03 PM
C34 has been saying all along that Renfroe won't hit much above .200 at the big league level.
He is either going to be right or he's going to be wrong, but you ain't changing his mind. No matter what scouts say.
I also think that it's not really going out on a limb. Renfroe had the first half of his junior year where he was on fire but after that he cooled off even in spite of our CWS run. He hasn't strung together a full season of consistent high average hitting yet in his collegiate or professional careers. That's not to say he can't, but he hasn't yet.
How many Renfroes are drafted every year that never make it in MLB? We all want Hunter to make it big but pump the brakes*** on thinking that it is a given that he does.

What?!? I know it's class A but he posted some good numbers in high A ball. Lot of AB during that time.

Really Clark?
04-27-2015, 08:41 PM

What?!? I know it's class A but he posted some good numbers in high A ball. Lot of AB during that time.

smootness
04-27-2015, 09:07 PM

Nobody ever said he was a given. Everyone knows there are issues he needs to work on and that he could bust.

But C34 has decided from the beginning he was going to continually bring up any time Renfroe is in a slump so he can try to show he was right. He wants to rub a former State player's struggles into State fan's faces...so that he can appear to be right.

That's ridiculous and possibly signs of mental instability.

smootness
04-27-2015, 09:11 PM
It's temporary. Just logging him innings.

Not true, they really are putting him there and hoping he sticks. They moved him into the rotation soon after he was drafted, and he's pitched well.

They may eventually move him back to the pen, but it will only happen if he struggles as a starter.

Tbonewannabe
04-27-2015, 09:15 PM
I remember reading about coaches changed up Renfroe' stance and his power and avg dropped. So that affected his numbers some.

Coach34
04-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Nobody ever said he was a given. Everyone knows there are issues he needs to work on and that he could bust.

But C34 has decided from the beginning he was going to continually bring up any time Renfroe is in a slump so he can try to show he was right. He wants to rub a former State player's struggles into State fan's faces...so that he can appear to be right.

That's ridiculous and possibly signs of mental instability.

No, I'm simply talking about Renfroe's progress. It's not my fault he is struggling- and I'm in no way saying "hahaha- I'm right, you're wrong. Renfroe suxxxx". It was a discussion I had on this board and others- I clearly said I didnt think Renfroe could hang on a full season in MLB. He wont everhit well enough. People told me I was wrong and called me names because I said it. Now? We just get to see the outcome. Renfroe is making money playing a game- there are no losers here

smootness
04-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Funny, you only bring him up when he's not playing well. When he goes on a tear, it's always someone else who posts it.

No one was 'speaking of' Renfroe.

Coach34
04-27-2015, 09:38 PM
Funny, you only bring him up when he's not playing well. When he goes on a tear, it's always someone else who posts it.

No one was 'speaking of' Renfroe.

1) He has yet to be on a "tear" in his pro career
2) We were talking about him in the Mt Rushmore of MSU baseball thread
3) You still mad cause I told you Humphreys would be a .240 hitter this year???- http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/16800/stats/bb/2015/teamcume.htm

dont get mad because I'm right most of the time

smootness
04-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Yes, he absolutely has been on tears. His whole time in A+ was a pretty big tear, as well as his end to the AFL.

You were right on Humphreys.

My issue is not that you're right on anything, it's the delight you seem to find in it. And don't tell me that's know what it is...you posted this crap on TD as well.

BeastMan
04-27-2015, 10:29 PM
Tweet from Mike Nemeth just now:

Former Bulldog Hunter Renfroe went 3-for-5, a run scored and 3RBI, for San Antonio (AA Padres) tonight...now has 7 hits in last 4 games

Really Clark?
04-27-2015, 10:43 PM
Tweet from Mike Nemeth just now:

Former Bulldog Hunter Renfroe went 3-for-5, a run scored and 3RBI, for San Antonio (AA Padres) tonight...now has 7 hits in last 4 games

Yeah. Good night. But he had a horrible 0 for 6 with 5 K's the night before. Hopefully though he is starting to come around. He also had a couple of doubles in these last 4 games I think.

Homedawg
04-27-2015, 10:48 PM
Not true, they really are putting him there and hoping he sticks. They moved him into the rotation soon after he was drafted, and he's pitched well.

They may eventually move him back to the pen, but it will only happen if he struggles as a starter.

Ok. Whatever u say. His long term future is with them in the pen. I have this first hand knowledge. No conjecture.

smootness
04-27-2015, 11:07 PM
Ok. Whatever u say. His long term future is with them in the pen. I have this first hand knowledge. No conjecture.

Fair enough. But if the Yankees are telling Holder he'll be in the pen in the future, then both he and the team are just flat out lying when speaking to the public. There have been numerous articles, one written earlier this month, about his transition into a starting role and what his future is.

I can't think of anyone who was drafted to be solely a RP from the start who then only started games in the minors.

SDDawg
04-27-2015, 11:15 PM
He is crushing it. Going to be a big time player...

stalkingpoon
07-12-2015, 12:31 AM
Seems like Renfroe is doing fairly well now. All the way up to .263. Raised his average over .040 points and added 6 HRS in the past month.

BeardoMSU
07-12-2015, 12:52 AM

Rough start this season.

It's starting to seem like you're rooting against him, a very good former Bulldog, just to prove yourself right.

BeardoMSU
07-12-2015, 12:55 AM
dont get mad because I'm right most of the time

Define "right"....

http://media.giphy.com/media/12jHPvCe8Nh87C/giphy.gif

Let me guess...."IT's coming"?

Coach34
07-12-2015, 08:35 AM
Define "right"....

"Dak Prescott will be the best QB we have ever had"- 2010
"Dak Prescott will take the QB job from Tyler Russell"- 2011
"Preston Smith will be a draft pick"- 2012
"The 2014 OL will be the best Mullen has ever had"- Summer of 2014
"Our offense will always struggle to run the ball with Tyler Russell at QB"- 2011
"We wont miss Dixon"- Summer of 2010
"Humphreys wont hit for average in 2014"- 2014

I can go on and on- but no need

Dawg61
07-12-2015, 11:34 AM
"Our offense will always struggle to run the ball with Tyler Russell at QB"- 2011

Why did you bump a 3 month old thread? Renfroe is hitting .263 with 9 HR and has a .330 OBP. He's doing ok and will probably get a cup of coffee in September. Is this when you like to troll your own board for hits month? You aren't right about Renfroe.

fader2103
07-12-2015, 12:21 PM
They have changed his swing and now he is having a slump with the adjustment. It's hard to change something. You have done something your whole life and be great at what you just changed

PMDawg
07-12-2015, 12:27 PM

Shaka Smart
Ray wont be fired
kenny payne
j. Graham wont return kicks as a freshman
chris jones has nukes
ITs coming
ITs coming
ITs coming

Cuts both ways...

Coach34
07-12-2015, 12:28 PM
Why did you bump a 3 month old thread? Renfroe is hitting .263 with 9 HR and has a .330 OBP. He's doing ok and will probably get a cup of coffee in September. Is this when you like to troll your own board for hits month? You aren't right about Renfroe.

I didnt bump the thread

Secondly- Renfroe has spent the most of the season hitting in the low .200's. He is on a roll right now- and even with his hellacious streak he is on- we all know they dont last in baseball. To top it off- even with that hellacious streak- he is still only hitting .263

BeardoMSU
07-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Shaka Smart
Ray wont be fired
kenny payne
j. Graham wont return kicks as a freshman
chris jones has nukes
ITs coming
ITs coming
ITs coming

Cuts both ways...

Howland is a pipe dream....

Coach34
07-12-2015, 12:32 PM
Shaka Smart- what was I wrong about????
Ray wont be fired- yep
kenny payne- I'll wear it- but Payne was the guy that morning and it changed
j. Graham wont return kicks as a freshman- and how did that turn out???
chris jones has nukes- he does.
ITs coming- yep- Elitedawgs was formed
ITs coming- yep- OM is being investigated
ITs coming- yep- I got my wine shipment in

Cuts both ways- I could have written 25 more. I just stopped at a handful...

in bold

Coach34
07-12-2015, 12:38 PM

Yep- basically my misses have been basketball-related

BoomBoom
07-12-2015, 03:14 PM

I didnt bump the thread

Secondly- Renfroe has spent the most of the season hitting in the low .200's. He is on a roll right now- and even with his hellacious streak he is on- we all know they dont last in baseball. To top it off- even with that hellacious streak- he is still only hitting .263

This aint the steroid era. .263 with power and above average D is an above average player now.

TheRef
07-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Don't know if it has been mentioned, but Adam Frazier has a .344 batting average this season.

engie
07-12-2015, 10:04 PM
Renfroe is now 13th in slugging -- tied for 9th in bombs -- tied for 6th in doubles -- 7th in total bases in the Texas League.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2015, 10:24 PM
Is Renfroe still working on the new batting stance or did he go back to his old one?