PDA

View Full Version : Governors Cup

GTHOM
04-26-2015, 09:55 PM
How many of yall will be going? Im done with school and work on the field at trustmark park so ill get in for free just wondering how many plan on going, considering how shitty we have been this year. Also any shot we find some motivation and win this game?

sandwolf
04-26-2015, 10:04 PM
My wife and I will be there.

BulldogBear
04-26-2015, 10:11 PM
I go every year and usually sit on one of the picnic tables above the home bullpen.

Todd4State
04-26-2015, 10:21 PM
I have been to every Governor's Cup since 1985. And I plan on continuing the streak this year.

Bothrops
04-27-2015, 12:01 AM
Due to fence depth, we have a decent chance.

Todd4State
04-27-2015, 12:19 AM
Due to fence depth, we have a decent chance.

In terms of ballpark factors, we do have an advantage over Ole Miss in that regard.

msstate7
04-27-2015, 07:39 AM
So who gets the ball for each team?

Homedawg
04-27-2015, 07:53 AM
Ross is starting for us.

mparkerfd20
04-27-2015, 08:05 AM
Ross is starting for us.

5-0 Ole Miss after 1.

msstate7
04-27-2015, 08:07 AM
Ross is starting for us.

Hopefully Seth smith pitches for them then

Drugdog
04-27-2015, 08:40 AM
I just can't make myself go and listen to Hotty Toddy.

HancockCountyDog
04-27-2015, 09:59 AM
First time in a long time that I can remember two truly below average baseball teams playing in this game. My memory is probably just being poor, but I don't recall the governor's cup having two team that are kind of pathetic.

I normally drive up for this game, but won't be making it this year.

TheRef
04-27-2015, 11:30 AM
Governor's Cup forecast is up: http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2015/04/27/mississippi-state-baseball-forecast-2015-governors-cup/

the59dawg
04-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Ross is starting for us.

I can't think of any remote reason why he should. He is having an awful year, senior or not. NO, NO,NO. Those HR hitting rebs will put that 65 mph lollipop of his over the fence regularly!

TheRef
04-27-2015, 02:31 PM
I can't think of any remote reason why he should. He is having an awful year, senior or not. NO, NO,NO. Those HR hitting rebs will put that 65 mph lollipop of his over the fence regularly!

10 MPH wind blowing straight in from Left Field. Should cut down on any possibility of a dinger tomorrow.

Todd4State
04-27-2015, 04:18 PM

The only team I have ever seen hit home runs regularly at Trustmark Park was the Atlanta Braves vs. their minor leaguers. That said, Ross starting is not going to end well for us or him.

yjnkdawg
04-27-2015, 06:17 PM
The only team I have ever seen hit home runs regularly at Trustmark Park was the Atlanta Braves vs. their minor leaguers. That said, Ross starting is not going to end well for us or him.

I hate it for Ross. This was supposed to be a big senior year. Either it's the new balls and the movement of the ball is not there anymore, or most batters have figured out how to hit against him, or a combination of the two, but he just isn't the same Ross that we saw coming out of the bull pen in the past. Could it be an injury also, that we don't know about?

weblow
04-27-2015, 06:19 PM
I hate it for Ross. This was supposed to be a big senior year. Either it's the new balls and the movement of the ball is not there anymore, or most batters have figured out how to hit against him, or a combination of the two, but he just isn't the same Ross that we saw coming out of the bull pen in the past. Could it be an injury also, that we don't know about?

The pitchers loving the new balls are the one's that have gas. They claim it gives their 2 seam a lot more movement. Junk ball pitchers, like Ross, don't get the same movement from their slow stuff. That and Ross isn't throwing strikes.

yjnkdawg
04-27-2015, 06:23 PM

It might be that Cohen wants to try him as a starter again or maybe saving another pitcher for the LSU series.

With the way Trustmark Park plays and the wind blowing from the north, even with a "65 mph lollipop" coming at the batter, I don't think OM has a player that can put one out.

Todd4State
04-27-2015, 07:21 PM

It's probably some of all the above. He has to constantly adjust because of the type of player that he is. There are some things that he can try to help give him a different look like a cutter or something like that. He may have tried some things. I'm not sure why he went away from the glove tap. He may have been tipping pitches or something.

As far as an injury- there's not anything official, but I have personally speculated that he may have suffered from dead arm. That's pure conjecture on my part. Tomorrow will be the first time in awhile that he has pitched.

Todd4State
04-27-2015, 07:23 PM
It might be that Cohen wants to try him as a starter again or maybe saving another pitcher for the LSU series.

With the way Trustmark Park plays and the wind blowing from the north, even with a "65 mph lollipop" coming at the batter, I don't think OM has a player that can put one out.

We have LSU on Thursday, and Ole Miss has Mizzou on Friday. That's a disadvantage for us. And it happened last year too where we had to play I think Texas A&M the Thursday after the Governor's Cup. We got lucky that Laster who was an unknown and Tatum stepped up.

Speaking of, if it were me I would go with Tatum instead of Ross.

Quaoarsking
04-27-2015, 08:23 PM
I like the move. Worst case scenario he eats up most innings and we lose a game that probably doesn't matter and have a full staff ready against LSUM

Best case scenario he pitches well and gets his confidence back. Somehow having the old Ross Mitchell back would give us a glimmer of hope

Todd4State
04-27-2015, 09:14 PM
I like the move. Worst case scenario he eats up most innings and we lose a game that probably doesn't matter and have a full staff ready against LSUM

Best case scenario he pitches well and gets his confidence back. Somehow having the old Ross Mitchell back would give us a glimmer of hope

With our pitching staff, I don't think there are any right moves.

But another bonus is Ross can lead cheers after he gets shelled.

BulldogBear
04-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Sky looking kind of nasty Ref. Any further update on forecast?

It's quite cool already folks. If you're cold natured you may wanna bring a blanket. Definately long sleeves.

TheRef
04-28-2015, 03:39 PM
Sky looking kind of nasty Ref. Any further update on forecast?

It's quite cool already folks. If you're cold natured you may wanna bring a blanket. Definately long sleeves.

Scattered storms that should be out of there by about the 4th or 5th inning, tbh