PDA

View Full Version : Bracky has to go

starkvegasdawg
04-26-2015, 09:15 AM
The NCAA just handed down their penalties to OK State for all they were doing in the SI story from back in 2013. One year probation, a small fine, and minor recruiting restrictions. NCAA went on to call most of the SI article false. OSU did far worse than us and gets a slap on the wrist. Further proof if you don't just hand over your proof on a silver platter the NCAA can't do anything. They get off lighter than us for all they did and we have one of our best players lose almost half his career due to a PE teacher masquerading as a compliance officer.

gravedigger
04-26-2015, 09:39 AM
After seeing the difference in the way the NCAA deals with us, it appears that most peoples disdain for our compliance department is misdirected.

Our president DEMANDS that the image of the university not be damaged in the media. Which means with regard to sports that bad eggs and dirty laundry are dealt with swiftly and harshly to prevent outside bodies from crucifying us over long periods of time.

Just a guess, but it appears Brackey deals with issues in compliance EXACTLY in the way the president expects. I think the ire should be directed at him if at all.

Original48
04-26-2015, 01:51 PM
After seeing the difference in the way the NCAA deals with us, it appears that most peoples disdain for our compliance department is misdirected.

Our president DEMANDS that the image of the university not be damaged in the media. Which means with regard to sports that bad eggs and dirty laundry are dealt with swiftly and harshly to prevent outside bodies from crucifying us over long periods of time.

Just a guess, but it appears Brackey deals with issues in compliance EXACTLY in the way the president expects. I think the ire should be directed at him if at all.
If this is truly the case then why didn't Keenum fire Cohen after the practice jersey situation? Or at the very least suspend him? Matters not who made them, it's Cohen's responsibility to know what his players are wearing. Talk about damage in the media. But I don't believe it to be the case. I don't believe for a minute Keenum said 'hey Brackey, let's suspend Will Redmond for 18 games. I know Ha Ha Clinton Dix did much worse and only got a half game suspension, but we are Mississippi State. We will set the standard in suspending star cornerbacks!'

Dawg61
04-26-2015, 02:03 PM
If this is truly the case then why didn't Keenum fire Cohen after the practice jersey situation? Or at the very least suspend him? Matters not who made them, it's Cohen's responsibility to know what his players are wearing. Talk about damage in the media. But I don't believe it to be the case. I don't believe for a minute Keenum said 'hey Brackey, let's suspend Will Redmond for 18 games. I know Ha Ha Clinton Dix did much worse and only got a half game suspension, but we are Mississippi State. We will set the standard in suspending star cornerbacks!'

Was there a cuss word on the practice jerseys cause I didn't see one?

Ifyouonlyknew
04-26-2015, 02:05 PM
The anger towards Bracky is so misguided. You can not like him but he's doing exactly what Keenum & Stricklin want. It's not like Bracky is going out on his own & dealing with the NCAA. Also the Cohen situation isn't comparable at all. Adidas took the blame for that so why would he suspend Cohen? Please it's been 4yrs can we let this go?

dawgoneyall
04-26-2015, 02:08 PM
No.

maroonmania
04-26-2015, 03:38 PM
The anger towards Bracky is so misguided. You can not like him but he's doing exactly what Keenum & Stricklin want. It's not like Bracky is going out on his own & dealing with the NCAA. Also the Cohen situation isn't comparable at all. Adidas took the blame for that so why would he suspend Cohen? Please it's been 4yrs can we let this go?

If Keenum and Stricklin really think having a former HS football coach run our compliance department is the best approach, then they are even more clueless about the modern day workings of the NCAA and its infraction committee than even Bracky is.

Original48
04-26-2015, 04:00 PM
I was being facetious about firing Cohen...it was in response to the post of how 'demanding' our president is in controlling our image in the media. By the way I do think Cohen should know/approve of/be responsible for what our players are wearing and representing on the field at all times. But to the the original point...I just for the life of me don't get why every compliance department in the sec employs lawyers and former NCAA compliance officials at the highest levels of their university's compliance and we have Brackey.

maroonmania
04-26-2015, 04:17 PM
delete

Ifyouonlyknew
04-26-2015, 04:39 PM
I was being facetious about firing Cohen...it was in response to the post of how 'demanding' our president is in controlling our image in the media. By the way I do think Cohen should know/approve of/be responsible for what our players are wearing and representing on the field at all times. But to the the original point...I just for the life of me don't get why every compliance department in the sec employs lawyers and former NCAA compliance officials at the highest levels of their university's compliance and we have Brackey.

Adidas marketing was on campus that week. It's totally possible & likely they hand delivered those batting shirts themselves & our guys just put them in the locker.
I don't disagree about who should be over compliance I'm just saying the hate that most have for Bracky is misguided. He's just doing what his bosses want him to do.

maroonmania
04-26-2015, 05:34 PM
I don't disagree about who should be over compliance I'm just saying the hate that most have for Bracky is misguided. He's just doing what his bosses want him to do.

Maybe so, but another point is that Bracky has been operating how he operates long before Keenum and Stricklin took over. I tend to think Keenum and Stricklin have just been content to just let him do compliance the only way he knows to do it rather than shake things up.

gravedigger
04-26-2015, 06:04 PM

1. Who says Keenum hasn't dealt with the situation ? Why didn't he fire him? Because he's not some uninformed jerk who reads message board threads as his source of info.
2. That's right. We are MSU. We are not Alabama and don't have their coach or president.
3. Believe what you want. But know this. Keenum sees the athletic program differently than the average fan. He can't stop situations like Redmond or the Adidas shirts. But he can demand his people respond in a way that mitigates the damage. Neither of those situations is the worst he has had to deal with.

There will never be a two year bs NCAA investigation under his watch that damages the university. The name of the compliance officer will not matter. Whomever it is, will do exactly as told, and in that absence, exactly as expected.

Reason2succeed
04-27-2015, 02:47 AM
The way that Will Redmond was treated is a classic example of the injustice in collegiate sports.

The college, Okie State in this instance, gets a slap on the wrist for major involvement. Probation, fines, and scholarship restriction are easy to get over. Heck, while at USC Lane Kiffin LITERALLY laughed at their punishment and said that it would not affect anything in the program.

On the other hand, the player, like Will Redmond loses eligibility that they will NEVER get back. This is his one shot to make it to the pros and his opportunity is MAJORLY hampered. I'm not saying that he shouldn't be punished. He should. But losing eligibility for a player ought to be akin to a death penalty for a university.

FlabLoser
04-27-2015, 06:40 AM
Don't forget Chizik openly mocking the NCAA in front of an NCAA member and a group of coaches & media. That was near the close of the Cam Newton "investigation".

thf24
04-27-2015, 07:25 AM
I'm not sure exactly what happened in the Okie State case, but the difference between ours and most others you hear about is that we had a member of the coaching staff caught red-handed with direct involvement in the incident. Had it been strictly a booster tied to it, we probably would have come out similarly to how these other schools we point to when complaining about Bracky. But as it was, I think we should actually consider ourselves lucky, because it could have a hell of lot worse.

MrKotter
04-27-2015, 07:34 AM
The anger towards him, possibly, could be misguided but the fact is he is not qualified to handle his position in modern day college athletics. It is past time either Keenum or Stricklin move him somewhere and bring in a qualified person.

Martianlander
04-27-2015, 07:40 AM
I hate to bring up Renardo Sidney because he tore our basketball program up, but the fact is they investigated his father to the hilt, while Cam Newton went scot free (and Auburn) because his father taking money had "no affect" on Cam.

SDDawg
04-27-2015, 08:33 AM
I also question his credentials and our approach to compliance (I really don't know the back story of how he was hired), but at the same time I have no evidence that it's fundamentally harming the athletic program. The Will Redmond situation was not handled well at all, but what's the impact today? I don't see any major areas that we've been held back here in terms of recruiting or keeping players eligible so I'd speculate that it's unlikely we'll see any changes.

maroonmania
04-27-2015, 08:54 AM
The anger towards him, possibly, could be misguided but the fact is he is not qualified to handle his position in modern day college athletics. It is past time either Keenum or Stricklin move him somewhere and bring in a qualified person.

That's my whole contention. I don't hate Bracky Brett. I just think he's woefully unqualified with his background for the job he's doing. He has NO legal background, NO former dealings with NCAA matters prior to becoming our compliance director, and as far as I know he had not even been experienced in college administration OR college athletics prior to getting on board with us. From what I've read Bracky was a HS head football coach and administrator at the relatively small school of Hamilton and then took an assistant football coaching job at Starkville HS prior to coming on board in compliance at MSU. How does that background qualify anyone in this day and age to run a compliance department at an SEC school?

mparkerfd20
04-27-2015, 09:08 AM
No.

A very loud echo of NO here too as well.

Really Clark?
04-27-2015, 09:19 AM
That's my whole contention. I don't hate Bracky Brett. I just think he's woefully unqualified with his background for the job he's doing. He has NO legal background, NO former dealings with NCAA matters prior to becoming our compliance director, and as far as I know he had not even been experienced in college administration OR college athletics prior to getting on board with us. From what I've read Bracky was a HS head football coach and administrator at the relatively small school of Hamilton and then took an assistant football coaching job at Starkville HS prior to coming on board in compliance at MSU. How does that background qualify anyone in this day and age to run a compliance department at an SEC school?

Actually, I think you have it backwards. He was assistant AD and assistant football coach at Starkville from 1992-2000 then was AD and head coach at Hamilton before being hired in 2002. So he goes back to the end of Jackie's tenure and at the time you did not have the influx of lawyers and NCAA officials becoming compliance directors, I believe. We have not adjusted like other schools on that front, but you have a long list of people to blame if you want to blame him as well. Several presidents (who he reports to directly) and now a third AD (LT, Byrne, Stricklin) have all left him alone. Now is it because he is a native Mississippian with a Masters degree from State? Or is he actually much better at his job than we think? I don't know, but it's not like he hasn't been here a long time.

ETA. Not every SEC compliance director has a law degree and/or worked for the NCAA. I know since this is not the first time it has come up I've looked at some of the other compliance directors bio's. I think Georgia's has a sports management masters degree after a PH ED BS degree, if I remember correctly and his first job was as compliance officer at a small college. Worked in compliance all the way up. A & M's guy does have NCAA background I think but he had already been a compliance officer at A & M first. PH ED BS, assistant track coach got his MBA and then went straight into compliance. So it is not like there are not many other compliance directors who take different routes with varying degrees. I will say Bracky is not the norm either.

Also, look at the bio for Bo Kerin when he was at LSU. (In Texas now as a sales consultant or something) Ties to us as well as his wife.

FlabLoser
04-27-2015, 12:22 PM
I also question his credentials and our approach to compliance (I really don't know the back story of how he was hired), but at the same time I have no evidence that it's fundamentally harming the athletic program. The Will Redmond situation was not handled well at all, but what's the impact today? I don't see any major areas that we've been held back here in terms of recruiting or keeping players eligible so I'd speculate that it's unlikely we'll see any changes.

What's the impact of the Redmond situation? Thanks to Bracky, Redmond has a year and a half less experience now than he otherwise would have had. Maybe a Redmond with 1.5 years more experience tackles that Ole Miss guy who ran in a 95 yard TD in Egg Bowl. Maybe a Redmond with 1.5 years changes the game plan a little bit and a hobbled Bo Wallace isn't throwing up long TD passes. Maybe a Redmond with 1.5 years more experience makes up enough that we win last year's Egg Bowl.

Maybe, in addition to that, Redmond with 1.5 years more experience makes a game-changing play or two against Bama last year. That's a huge maybe, but we'll never know now will we. Thanks Bracky!

It is reasonable to say Bracky could have cost us the 2014 Egg Bowl. He might have even cost us a playoff berth.

SDDawg
04-27-2015, 01:58 PM
What's the impact of the Redmond situation? Thanks to Bracky, Redmond has a year and a half less experience now than he otherwise would have had. Maybe a Redmond with 1.5 years more experience tackles that Ole Miss guy who ran in a 95 yard TD in Egg Bowl. Maybe a Redmond with 1.5 years changes the game plan a little bit and a hobbled Bo Wallace isn't throwing up long TD passes. Maybe a Redmond with 1.5 years more experience makes up enough that we win last year's Egg Bowl.

Maybe, in addition to that, Redmond with 1.5 years more experience makes a game-changing play or two against Bama last year. That's a huge maybe, but we'll never know now will we. Thanks Bracky!

It is reasonable to say Bracky could have cost us the 2014 Egg Bowl. He might have even cost us a playoff berth.

With all respect, I don't think that's reasonable to say (jmho). I think it's a huge stretch. And outside of the Redmond situation, I don't see the impact. I'm not a fan, just not seeing the huge impact that others are saying but you could be dead on and I could missing it completely... definitely possible.

the59dawg
04-27-2015, 02:02 PM

Just the fact that he was hired by Templeton and stays in touch with Larry regularly(lunches) is enough for me along with the experience factor already mentioned. There were a couple of other innuendo's rumored out there that I won't repeat as they were just rumors.

Ifyouonlyknew
04-27-2015, 02:04 PM

This is 1 of the most amazing post I have ever read on the internet. Thank you sir I have read some amazing things in my day but this 1 here is up there.